Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think my favorite way to interpret that is that Incubus got interviewed by Gog-Agog at some point in time. Presumably when he was trying to get her to take him seriously as one of the seven new gods.

Meanwhile she's silently internally seething, as always, about how he doesn't take her seriously and he should respect her, she's the oldest and the most powerful and she was GOD once.

It probably made good television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not seeing what you mean...? I think it's the desk and chair.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

lmao @ The Eric Andre Show gag

a quick "why does this seem so familiar" moment of confusion, then it immediately clicked

typing that out I realized "a moment of confusion" is a pretty good description of the show lol

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

next to steamgog agoggy

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gog-agog contemporary performance theatre game is absolutely off the charts

kinda helps when you can do everything at the same time plus the special effects with magic, but still, one needs to be a true artiste

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not seeing what you mean...? I think it's the desk and chair.

Nevermind, I see it now, lol. That's definitely it.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IT'S THE GOG AGOG SHOW!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLsZM4Hhso

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

FlocksOfMice posted:

Of all the fantasy settings TES is one of the few where gods don't seem to actually need worship to exist, yeah. Talos is a self-created entity, and how it actually came into existence and what it actually IS is such an obscure cluster of nonsense I don't imagine most people in the setting actually know it's like. Three guys? The Aedra are dead and the Daedra literally checked out of creation before it was finalized, none of them need you to believe in them.

Even according to "What appears to be..." the goal isn't to get rid of Talos so that he disappears from worship-starvation, but to get people to stop doing Lorkhan-related bullshit because the elves, oh they hate that Lorkhan related bullshit they're so tired of Shezzarite nonsense keeping them trapped in time. They want to go back to before Akatosh hosed things up by making time coherent and mortal and they want to be in the pre-mundus time when everything was constantly changing spirits. Lorkhan (enantiomorph with Akatosh (also is Akatosh)) created mortality and the trap of this world as a way to inspire spirits to reach CHIM/Amaranth to perpetuate the reproductive cycle of realities and the regressive Thalmor and the mer in general tend to want to just hang out in a timeless maybe instead of getting on with things.

Of course Skyrim's kinda too baby to get into like, the interesting implications of this. They even have this giant Heart of Magus thing in the mages questline and they never tell you what it even is DOING but the implication might be he's trying to unravel mundus which like, fair, we have like 1 Tower left at this point I think, easy, but like, you don't even know what the villain you're stopping is DOING because Bethesda is afraid of interesting writing?

Getting rid of Talos worship wouldn't rewrite time, Akatosh keeps way too tight ledgers. Breaking the Dragon also seems so far to only affect the "current" time, I can't think of an example when it was used to rewrite the past (excluding all the, you know, retcons Bethesda keeps doing to make the lore significantly less interesting (they could have made the big bad guy of Skyrim be Alduin, you know, literally Akatosh, you know, literally the dragon that shows up and saves you in Oblivion, but complexity is hard so instead he's just kinda Some Guy who ruled a dragon empire that never existed in the lore before and he's really just Akatosh's mean son and you gotta beat him up because he's evil and wants to end the kalpa because he's mean and evil) because Todd Howard and Emil Pagliarulo are kinda hacks and bad for fantasy as a genre).

Yeah here there's a difference between mantling a god and altering its narrative by doing that and worshiping a god. When you walk like something so it walks like you that's different from just large-scale belief about a thing. Also crying that Skyrim could have given us a really weird and interesting story and instead it's just evil mean dragon raaaaar

Ach, more fanon! There is nothing that conclusively proves that the Towers as a whole anchor reality! You have a line from the first TES novel, The Infernal City, in which the Prince (not exactly the smartest tool in the shed, considering the first part of his story is how he's being fooled by his attendants into thinking he has actual talent) says "Well, some think that the White-Gold Tower—and some other towers around Tamriel—help, well, hold the world up, or something like that. Others believe that before the Dragon broke, the tower helped protect us from invasion from Oblivion [...] They help keep Mundus—the World—from dissolving back into Oblivion. Or something like that. Anyway, everyone seems to agree it has power, but no one knows exactly what kind." This isn't conclusive (again, his character arc in the book is that he grows up and stops being such a fool, he is far from an authoritative source!), and another post by Michael Kirkbride, the Nu-Mantia Intercept, says something that implies that White-Gold Tower is meant to do the exact opposite of stabilizing reality; the Ayleids made it to reverse the process of creation and let them return to their divine status before the creation of Mundus!

quote:

What is White-Gold Tower?

Like all of the polydox constructs of the earliest Aldmer-- whatever their abnegaurbic creed-- White-Gold Tower is a conduit of creatia, aad sembia sembio, built to bring about a reversal of the congealing spiritual bleed caused by the Convention. In other words, it was a focus point for (re-)reaching the divine.

White-Gold Tower was made by the Ayleids, the Heartland High Elves that would have none to do with their isle-kind. Where the Altmer sought to focus on dracochrysalis, or keeping elder magic bound before it could change into something lesser (and act which ironically required aetherial surplus), the Ayleids harvested castaway creatia from Oblivion by entering a pact with the masters of the Void, the Princes of Misrule.

The same source points to the Adamantine Tower being what sealed the deal on the creation of Mundus and Red Mountain allowing Mundus to "exist without the full presence of the divine". However, the fact that all other Towers were made after the creation of Mundus doesn't give me the sense that they're necessary for reality's continued existence. All evidence points to each Tower being an attempt by elves to reenact the events leading to the creation of reality for their own ends.

Likewise, the generalization of "elves all want reality to be unspooled" is also an annoying bit of fanon. Excluding the Dunmer (whose religious practices embrace the challenge posed to them by reality), the very fact that the Altmer and Bosmer faiths venerate the Aedra at all suggests that the mainline have at least come to accept Mundus. The Altmer and Bosmer revere Auri-El and the Time he created, as shown by this this text from ESO.

quote:

Penitent, give thanks and praise to the soul of Anu the Everything, father to us all. The scales and fangs and flame of the creator envelop all of the people. Always.

To complete your venerations here, intone: "By the Fixed Center and his hand in our lives, we are all made safe. Auri-El, grant me the stability of the Divine. Be always at my side."

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Whirling posted:

Ach, more fanon! There is nothing that conclusively proves that the Towers as a whole anchor reality! You have a line from the first TES novel, The Infernal City, in which the Prince (not exactly the smartest tool in the shed, considering the first part of his story is how he's being fooled by his attendants into thinking he has actual talent) says "Well, some think that the White-Gold Tower—and some other towers around Tamriel—help, well, hold the world up, or something like that. Others believe that before the Dragon broke, the tower helped protect us from invasion from Oblivion [...] They help keep Mundus—the World—from dissolving back into Oblivion. Or something like that. Anyway, everyone seems to agree it has power, but no one knows exactly what kind." This isn't conclusive (again, his character arc in the book is that he grows up and stops being such a fool, he is far from an authoritative source!), and another post by Michael Kirkbride, the Nu-Mantia Intercept, says something that implies that White-Gold Tower is meant to do the exact opposite of stabilizing reality; the Ayleids made it to reverse the process of creation and let them return to their divine status before the creation of Mundus!

The same source points to the Adamantine Tower being what sealed the deal on the creation of Mundus and Red Mountain allowing Mundus to "exist without the full presence of the divine". However, the fact that all other Towers were made after the creation of Mundus doesn't give me the sense that they're necessary for reality's continued existence. All evidence points to each Tower being an attempt by elves to reenact the events leading to the creation of reality for their own ends.

Fair enough, I haven't read any of the novels and after a certain point past Morrowind I have no knowledge of what the lore/setting is doing anymore; it seems, from an increasingly outside viewpoint, to be constantly coiling back on itself and devouring interesting parts of its lore to replace them with less interesting/the people making it didn't even understand the original and just wrote something more generic on top of it.

I'll say, Nu Mantia itself is what warns that the Towers going offline is the danger, and the danger is that without them it is what leads to M. Dagon doing the whole plot of Oblivion. Like, the running theme was the loss of Walk Brass in Daggerfall and Red Mountain in Morrowind and then White Gold going down in Oblivion is all part of a long-term scheme to allow for M. Dagon bustling his way in, like. I don't know if the lore has changed in the ~13 years I've been off the lore forums but that was the generally accepted fact of things iirc at the time?

Even Nu Mantia is in support of it,

Nu Mantia posted:

They are magical and physical echoes of the Ur-Tower, Ada-mantia. Ada-mantia was the first spike of unassailable reality in the Dawn, otherwise called the Zero Stone. The powers at Ada-mantia were able to determine through this Stone the spread of creation and their parts in it.

The powers also created Red Tower and the First Stone. This allowed the Mundus to exist without the full presence of the divine. In this way, the powers of Ada-mantia granted the Mundus a special kind of divinity, which is called NIRN, the consequence of variable fate.

After these two acts, which is commonly called the Convention, the gods left the earth.

At the very least, that's two Towers whose purpose IS upholding the stability of mundus against the ever shifting dreamlogic of what came before? Regardless of initial intention that seems to be what they are doing.

I concede the part about White Gold though, yeah:

Nu Mantia again posted:

Though the Ayleids gave theirs a central Spire as the imago of Ada-mantia, the whole of the polydox resembled the Wheel, with eight lesser towers forming a ring around their primus. To dismiss this mythitecture as being a mockery of the Aurbis is to ignore an important point: this same "jest" gave White-Gold Tower a power over creatia unalike any on this plane(t). It was a triumph of sympathetic megafetish, and the Start of the [Threat! To! Empire!] that brings me to this Council.

If the Ayleids made their own Wheel within the Wheel, were-web aad semblio, what would happen if they plucked its strings?

I still maintain Walk Brass and Red going down were what weakened things enough to let M. Dagon in, did later lore contradict this? My knowledge of the lore is limited to about 2007 where I stopped following the games and the lore forums as closely as I used to, since like, the stuff that got me INTO the setting, Oblivion and Skyrim clearly had no intention of continuing. I've seen a lot of stuff from ESO that was also pretty dire but some of it seems... neat? At least?

quote:

Likewise, the generalization of "elves all want reality to be unspooled" is also an annoying bit of fanon. Excluding the Dunmer (whose religious practices embrace the challenge posed to them by reality), the very fact that the Altmer and Bosmer faiths venerate the Aedra at all suggests that the mainline have at least come to accept Mundus. The Altmer and Bosmer revere Auri-El and the Time he created, as shown by this this text from ESO.

Yeah I spoke too broadly, it's just segments of the Thalmor in Skyrim and other regressionist sects. Basically groups of Altmer for the most part.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gog's train of thought is on a tight schedule, and it was necessary for it to derail itself in order to stay on track.

I wonder who the Ed McMahon to Gog's Johnny Carson will be? it'll be Gog

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I hope the statue of the naked lady is ALSO Gog.

Not a statue of Gog, but it will start moving because it is Gog.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I wonder who the Ed McMahon to Gog's Johnny Carson will be? it'll be Gog

Hannagog Buragog, awkwardly standing just to the left of the chair the whole time if the set is any indication, lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

honestly surprised that Gog wasn't yanked off stage by a big hook

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Youremother posted:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IT'S THE GOG AGOG SHOW!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLsZM4Hhso

Gog's primary color scheme is red and green, which makes me think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXR1zClTwkQ

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

"What's up with swords, like what's up with them?"
"...What's up with them?"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
"You know, worms are kind of ph-"
"Do you have any idea how many times I've heard that one?"

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

"Here's the thing: I. Don't. Give. A. gently caress. About. Jagganoth! He's boring!"

Whirling fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 10, 2024

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
God I hope k6bd gets an animated adaptation some day with an entire album's worth of theme music for Gog composed by Susuma Hirasawa.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Gog's disappointed little face there is amazing.

Still thinking eating a Gog worm is the way forward here. Maybe Gog is actually trying to get someone else to be Gog Prime, but it needs to be someone sufficiently and furiously dumbass-rear end.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I honestly don't know what to expect from their interaction here. Likely Gog's gonna poke at some specific weakness in Allison's self-conception but I have no idea on what's the angle's gonna be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Whirling posted:

"What's up with swords, like what's up with them?"
"...What's up with them?"

WORM UP!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Elissimpark posted:

Still thinking eating a Gog worm is the way forward here. Maybe Gog is actually trying to get someone else to be Gog Prime, but it needs to be someone sufficiently and furiously dumbass-rear end.
That's why Not!Cio is waiting in the wings.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

TwoPair posted:

WORM UP!

EVERYTHING IS GOG-AGOG TODAY

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
do you think mother om was effectively utilizing girl power when she invaded the infinite vault and restarted universal war?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

Allison not becoming "a" gog, but "The" Gog because Gog passes the baton and let her take charge, giving Allison an army, would be interesting. I'm not saying I am super fond of the idea, or that I think it will happen, I just never thought about it being a possibility before.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Twenty Four posted:

Allison not becoming "a" gog, but "The" Gog because Gog passes the baton and let her take charge, giving Allison an army, would be interesting. I'm not saying I am super fond of the idea, or that I think it will happen, I just never thought about it being a possibility before.

"Hey, do my thing so I can stop" has been every demiurges thing with Allison, so I guess it makes sense that Gog Agog would try it too.

I'm excited to learn however-the-hell that's actually meant to work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whirling posted:

quote:

Though the Ayleids gave theirs a central Spire as the imago of Ada-mantia, the whole of the polydox resembled the Wheel, with eight lesser towers forming a ring around their primus. To dismiss this mythitecture as being a mockery of the Aurbis is to ignore an important point: this same "jest" gave White-Gold Tower a power over creatia unalike any on this plane(t). It was a triumph of sympathetic megafetish, and the Start of the [Threat! To! Empire!] that brings me to this Council.

If the Ayleids made their own Wheel within the Wheel, were-web aad semblio, what would happen if they plucked its strings?

Those can all be reconciled in my mind: the newer towers have, in a way, mantled ada-mantia and, beyond that, the metaphysical concept of The Tower. Becoming representations of the structure of Aubris. So in as a result of that, they've become critical in holding up the universe. In some cases, like White-Gold, this was a deliberate action so that they could then be used to manipulate or damage it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 10, 2024

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Diane, it is just about the break of dawn on this part of throne. I have just arrived at the temple of YS-HET from the West Dragon Gate. I'm not sure how well you can hear it through this devil recorder but the temple is packed with visitors, which is in stark contrast to the rest of the district. Before I continue the investigation I'm going to try finding a place to sit and have some of this temple's famous six color stew, which, if it's anything like goblin coffee, will be an adventure and a half. Will keep you posted.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RocketMermaid posted:

EVERYTHING IS GOG-AGOG TODAY

Gaslighht, gatekeep, gogboss.

Goglight, gogkeep, gogboss.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Diane, it is just about the break of dawn on this part of throne. I have just arrived at the temple of YS-HET from the West Dragon Gate. I'm not sure how well you can hear it through this devil recorder but the temple is packed with visitors, which is in stark contrast to the rest of the district. Before I continue the investigation I'm going to try finding a place to sit and have some of this temple's famous six color stew, which, if it's anything like goblin coffee, will be an adventure and a half. Will keep you posted.

Coop has to be one of my favorite characters in any medium :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tendales posted:

God I hope k6bd gets an animated adaptation some day with an entire album's worth of theme music for Gog composed by Susuma Hirasawa.

Only so long as we can achieve the dream of Brian Blessed as 10 Vigilant Gaze.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I’m trying to think of who could animate a proper gog music video in a way that captured KSBD vibes, but I’m drawing a blank. https://youtu.be/9RHFFeQ2tu4?si=5ujqzS_hQflcMnda maybe Felix Colgrave?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
All this TES Lore chat made me realize that Gog's situation is basically the Fargoth Cycle.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

TwoPair posted:

WORM UP!

Gog-a-gog, Gog-a-gog
Go climb into a bog
Drink some grog
Turn into a frog

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kill Six Billion Demons: would you still love me if i ate the worm

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

In Heaven, everything is fine

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's the Gog-A-Gog Show!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

That worm you like is going to come back in style.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

TwoPair posted:

It's the Gog-A-Gog Show!

And now, a worm from our sponsors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS:

Lights posted:

And now, a worm from our sponsors.