Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Sagebrush posted:

on that note i have a kaweco al-sport that i also like a lot, but it's stubbornly dry. i would like the slipperiest wettest blue ink there is. what are some good ones to try out?

My kaweco sport is inked up with the beautiful Tokyo blue denim from Oster ink. It's amazing and flows perfectly and is nice and wet, but I have a bold nib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Sailor ink is my go-to when I want a wet ink. Flows really well and is incredibly well behaved. Yuki-akari from their four season line is one of my favorite blues, but you really can't go wrong with any of their inks.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Their Kiwaguro ink is a fantastic black. Takes a bit to properly dry but I love the subtle shine it gets in spots where the ink laid down thick

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Chip McFuck posted:

Sailor ink is my go-to when I want a wet ink. Flows really well and is incredibly well behaved.
Good to know that's normal. Bought my first one at a local shop impulsively, and I hate it as a leftie.

coop52
May 10, 2009

My Kaweco Sport came in and works great :toot:. The cartridge that came with it was a piece of crap though. It had the audacity to get stuck in the barrel from the get go, leak all over the inside of the barrel, and then not start when I tried using it. I got the converter with the pen, and that worked out much better.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Chip McFuck posted:

Sailor ink is my go-to when I want a wet ink. Flows really well and is incredibly well behaved. Yuki-akari from their four season line is one of my favorite blues, but you really can't go wrong with any of their inks.

Sailor black was my first 'serious' ink and it is amazing, it makes my pens glide over the page like they were curling stones guided by miniature invisible sweepers.

If a pen won't write with it, it's broke, it's a bit of a litmus test for me.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I can't post a picture because they hosed with that functionality on the Awful app but I just put some Wearingeul Wayfarer in my TWSBI Eco and holy poo poo, it's got loving holographic blue glitter in it. I am enchanted.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

i've been falling down this rabbit hole for a few months now. i started with a pilot metropolitan and now i have two of them. and a TWSBI eco. and a TWSBI 580. And I just got a pilot 74 to try a gold nib but I am determined to stop now.

I've been really impressed with the quality of the TWSBI pens in particular. They're not as expensive as most of the really fancy pens I've seen, but they definitely feel like a step up from the metros. I've also not really had a problem with left handed writing, surprisingly (using robert oster inks on rhodia pads, which i already had a ton of).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mad Hamish posted:

I can't post a picture because they hosed with that functionality on the Awful app but I just put some Wearingeul Wayfarer in my TWSBI Eco and holy poo poo, it's got loving holographic blue glitter in it. I am enchanted.

You just need to make an imgur account and authenticate with imgur from within the awful app. It's a side effect of imgur not allowing people to post anonymously anymore.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sharkmafia posted:

I am determined to stop now.

:patriot:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i love the iroshizuku inks but i mainly take notes and write on kokuyo campus and they feather like fuuuuck on that stuff :(

coop52
May 10, 2009

The new special edition Lamy Safari colors came out on Goulet today.

Do I need another Safari? No. Did I get a new one because it's pretty? Yes.

I got Pink Cliff with a fine nib.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Not hot on the pens but t he inks look great

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
My last urushi pen from Bokumondoh is ready! I'm so pumped. Took about a year on the wait list. It's a Pilot Custom 743 with an FA nib.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

beautiful. I really want an urushi pen one day

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Muir posted:

My last urushi pen from Bokumondoh is ready! I'm so pumped. Took about a year on the wait list. It's a Pilot Custom 743 with an FA nib.

Lovely! And not too bad of a wait too - mine arrived last week after getting in line in November 2022.

I see that's one of Bokumondoh's urushi pen trays in the photo. Is it yours or is the photo from the workshop?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Dad Hominem posted:

Lovely! And not too bad of a wait too - mine arrived last week after getting in line in November 2022.

I see that's one of Bokumondoh's urushi pen trays in the photo. Is it yours or is the photo from the workshop?

The photo is from the workshop. I got an urushi dip pen from her at the SF Pen Show last year but haven't sprung for any of her pen trays yet. I think they were doing a silent auction for some of them at the pen show, but it was more than I wanted to spend.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Today I learned I missed a Fountain Pen expo.

https://capenshow.com/

Curious if any of you have gone and what it was like? Friend sent me a few pictures and I was even sadder.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PuttyKnife posted:

Today I learned I missed a Fountain Pen expo.

https://capenshow.com/

Curious if any of you have gone and what it was like? Friend sent me a few pictures and I was even sadder.

Ah dang! Torrance? I was busy last weekend but I might have made an effort to go if I knew it was taking place :smith:

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

cruft posted:

I promise I will get y'all's pens shipped out. It's just a weird time right now.

Guess what just showed up? :kimchi:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

(Chuckles) I’m in danger.

Definitely didn’t already get an ECO and a handful of Diamine inks to play with for a little project I’m working on, too. That would be ridiculous.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

cruft posted:

I promise I will get y'all's pens shipped out. It's just a weird time right now.

The rollerball pen came in today! Can't wait to try it out!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Dolemite posted:

Rollerball

You dare? In this house?

coop52
May 10, 2009

I finally noticed some gold sheen in my Tsutsuji sample today, on Happy Planner paper of all things.

My Pink Cliff Safari came in, and I inked it with a sample of Diamine Eclipse. It matches the body which is really satisfying.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

cruft posted:

Mine showed up too. Thanks again!

Ravus Ursus posted:

You dare? In this house?

A rollerball is just a fountain pen that had a tragic accident. No need to draw attention to it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ravus Ursus posted:

You dare? In this house?

All pens are welcome here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keetron posted:

I really enjoy the pilot iroshizuku inks and noticed that the darker the blue, the more it glides. I can recommend tsuki-yo and shin-kai as darker blues with a pleasant writing experience.

I gave my Al-Sport a real good cleaning with ammonia and dish soap, and a teeny little push to spread the nib tines a hair, and now it is writing beautifully with Tsuki-Yo, which is my new favorite blue. Hooray!

(i already had a couple of iroshizuku inks -- fuyu-gaki is what i use for grading -- but my only blue of theirs was ama-iro, which is very light and which i didn't find particularly wet.)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 21, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ravus Ursus posted:

You dare? In this house?

It's a fountain pen with a rollerball end. It's weird, I've never seen anything like it before. I think it had a piston fill? Maybe Dolemite can fill us in.

I hope everybody enjoys their pen! I'd love to hear if you're able to get them in good working order.

One of the pens is probably in customs right now and should arrive next week or so, if it doesn't get confiscated or whatever.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Rollerballs are cool imo. They use water based ink not oil based like ballpoint

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rollerballs are cool in the way that those three wheeled snowmobile motorcycles are cool.

i.e. "I guess, if there's some reason you can't handle the real thing."

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

cruft posted:

It's a fountain pen with a rollerball end. It's weird, I've never seen anything like it before. I think it had a piston fill? Maybe Dolemite can fill us in.

I hope everybody enjoys their pen! I'd love to hear if you're able to get them in good working order.

One of the pens is probably in customs right now and should arrive next week or so, if it doesn't get confiscated or whatever.

They aren't (weren't?) that uncommon, at least for european/american brands like parker, sheaffer, or cross. They'd generally have a ballpoint, rollerball, fountain, and possibly pencil version of whatever line, sometimes sold together as a gift set or whatever. Don't know if they still do, I haven't really had any reason to poke around any of their websites recently.

I feel like the ones that didn't just use rollerball refills/inserts would just use a converter? At least I feel like that's what I've seen from a few more fountain pen-centric brands like lamy or whatever. They're rather like brush pens in that way (also in that if you poke around ali you'll find the exact same body but with a brush/fountain/rollerball tip).

Anyway rollerballs must be fine, because back in the dark ages, when pen stores existed and mailed out catalogs, there'd always be a sizeable section for retro51 pens. Don't think they ever made a fountain version of anything, which is a shame. They usually had pretty interesting designs.

Also the pilot v5 is the best pen you can buy in any regular-rear end store, and that's a rollerball. QED.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
That brings up something I've wondered for a while, actually - why did ballpoints become so popular in the first place? Like, I've heard stories claiming there were around-the-block lines for them when they first came out. What did they offer that was so much better than fountain pens at the time? The super-thick ink means ink spills/leaks are unheard of, they do dry out but it's orders of magnitude slower than FPs, and the price per unit is so, so much lower than FPs. But were those factors alone enough to drive the popularity? Were popular-use FPs just much shittier back then? Was it the novelty?

I like FPs but I'm not going to hold back on writing something just because the only option is a ballpoint, and FPs do have a lot of pain points. Spills and finger stains, for instance, and you never have to send a ballpoint to get its nib fixed. Worst case, you dropped it tip down and dented the ball and you're out five cents of plastic. But in general if I'm writing I'd rather use an FP. Entirely possible I'm just the oddball out, but the ballpoint revolution has always seemed... odd to me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They were rather cheaper and relative to a fountain pen they're much more technologically advanced, and the leaking is a big factor too. Being able to own an ink pen that required basically no maintenance was a big deal when people were doing everything by hand.

Also, it isn't like now where a fountain pen is more of an affectation and you can buy inks in a million different colors to suit your personality or mood. And they were fuckin' expensive -- very often in older novels if a character needs money they'll pawn a fountain pen or trade it for what they need, so obviously it was a store of value. It's hard to beat cheap and effective.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Just looked at a 1940 Sears catalog (the earliest searchable I could find online) and the cheapest Parker FP (a Duofold) is $3.50, or $77 in today's money.

By the time ballpoints had become widespread, you could get a nice Sheaffer for $2.49 ($25 in today's money) or a 10 pack of generics for 97 cents ($1.01 each in today's money) in the 1960 Sears christmas catalog.

Edit: A couple pages of pens from the 1940 Sears Fall/Winter catalog for funsies:
https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1940-Sears-Fall-Winter-Catalog/0581
https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1940-Sears-Fall-Winter-Catalog/0582

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 21, 2024

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

stealie72 posted:

Just looked at a 1940 Sears catalog (the earliest searchable I could find online) and the cheapest Parker FP (a Duofold) is $3.50, or $77 in today's money.

By the time ballpoints had become widespread, you could get a nice Sheaffer for $2.49 ($25 in today's money) or a 10 pack of generics for 97 cents ($1.01 each in today's money) in the 1960 Sears christmas catalog.

Edit: A couple pages of pens from the 1940 Sears Fall/Winter catalog for funsies:
https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1940-Sears-Fall-Winter-Catalog/0581
https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1940-Sears-Fall-Winter-Catalog/0582

Well I'm interested to learn that that ridiculous Bic Pens For Women thing from a few years ago wasn't as new as I thought it was.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Pretty whiz-bang stuff, a pen you can just pick up and use like a pencil, but with the 'permanence' of ink. Add in the cost and it's not really too surprising that they became wildly popular.

Mad Hamish posted:

Well I'm interested to learn that that ridiculous Bic Pens For Women thing from a few years ago wasn't as new as I thought it was.

Usually the mens/womens pen thing is just a question of the size of the pen, I assume what you're talking about is something like 'this pen is pink,' which is a pretty different sort of marketing thing.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Zenostein posted:

Pretty whiz-bang stuff, a pen you can just pick up and use like a pencil, but with the 'permanence' of ink. Add in the cost and it's not really too surprising that they became wildly popular.

Heath posted:

They were rather cheaper and relative to a fountain pen they're much more technologically advanced, and the leaking is a big factor too. Being able to own an ink pen that required basically no maintenance was a big deal when people were doing everything by hand.

Also, it isn't like now where a fountain pen is more of an affectation and you can buy inks in a million different colors to suit your personality or mood. And they were fuckin' expensive -- very often in older novels if a character needs money they'll pawn a fountain pen or trade it for what they need, so obviously it was a store of value. It's hard to beat cheap and effective.

stealie72 posted:

oh wow! that's much more expensive than i anticipated. And good points everyone on the convenience factors. makes sense!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Zenostein posted:

Anyway rollerballs must be fine, because back in the dark ages, when pen stores existed and mailed out catalogs, there'd always be a sizeable section for retro51 pens. Don't think they ever made a fountain version of anything, which is a shame. They usually had pretty interesting designs.

I have owned several Retro51 fountain pens.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

oh wow! that's much more expensive than i anticipated. And good points everyone on the convenience factors. makes sense!

The Biro pen (Bic in the US), when it came out, was apparently a game-changer. I carry one with me when I'm on travel and I can certainly see the appeal. You get something that works every time, doesn't leak, hardly any feathering, lasts for months, is cheap enough that you throw it away when it's empty, and the only downside is you have to press harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

grack posted:

I have owned several Retro51 fountain pens.

oh? how were they? I assume they weren't tornado-shaped, but did they at least have the bold designs that seem to carry the brand?