Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think tucker got fed some bullshit about how putin would speak on the culture war poo poo and all of that and give trump and americhuds head pats, instead he just ranted about weird crackpot vatnick history and poo poo on tucker.

I also like how a lot of chud media personalities basically pretended that happened. So you have guys like Charlie Kirk hyping up the interview but showing no clips of it or quoting any part of it directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The only snippet I watched of the Tucker interview was this, and I think everyone needs to see it

https://twitter.com/TheWapplehouse/status/1755796109497147668

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

fuctifino posted:

The only snippet I watched of the Tucker interview was this, and I think everyone needs to see it

https://twitter.com/TheWapplehouse/status/1755796109497147668

Putting Tucker's voice or face in front of you is self-harm.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DarklyDreaming posted:

I also like how a lot of chud media personalities basically pretended that happened. So you have guys like Charlie Kirk hyping up the interview but showing no clips of it or quoting any part of it directly

yeah, chuds dont actually care about whatever weird russian revancist tsarist bullshit. they just like russia because its has propoganda they like and they wish they could do the poo poo putin does to people they hate. they were praying putin would give them some talking points for trump and they didnt get them. sure the Qnuts got their poo poo but lol

EDIT.

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1756043266804301881

Russian Telegram channels reported that the interview with Carlson and Carlson himself was not to Putin's liking, and the interview itself was considered a failure:

quote:

"The Kovalchuk clan sharply criticizes the idea of an interview with the American journalist Carlson. They say that the problem is the unpreparedness of the interview arrangement - it was Gromov's and Peskov's mistake. Putin should have talked about conservative values, the creation of a conservative alliance, and moving on - but he went into history and platitudes about Ukraine. Naryshkin, who allegedly planted ideas with documents of Bohdan Khmelnytskyi and nonsense with Poland, also played a negative role here. He set Putin up to the fullest. Medinsky would not allow such a thing."

According to reports, Putin didn't like Tucker Carlson - "a snob and a useful idiot who got a meaningful fee, but was lazy and lacked creativity."
Kovalchuk family believes they could have done better with Tucker Carlson, but "everything was wasted." There's a wave of complaints in the Kremlin.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1756051693358191055

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 10, 2024

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I assume that the was no mention of the USSR partnering up with Germany to invade Poland?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dapper_Swindler posted:

EDIT.

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1756043266804301881

Russian Telegram channels reported that the interview with Carlson and Carlson himself was not to Putin's liking, and the interview itself was considered a failure:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1756051693358191055

I get the feeling Putin thought he had one job: Sell this American journalist on his right to invade Ukraine, and thus convince others to agree. Unfortunately for people who still like Tucker, Ukraine is yesterday's news (No matter how the war may be going right now) and I'm sure Tucker would have much preferred to hear how awesome Russia is now that they got rid of "The Gays" and wouldn't it be great if we had someone like Putin in every country. Instead he just rambles in every direction about the war and how it's totally not his fault

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Charliegrs posted:

So this is kind of wild. Remember this video that made the rounds of a Bradley loving up a T90M? (NSFW? No gore)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhu8FVaDeQQ&t=1s

Well the commander of that Bradley apparently grew up in Russia and moved to Ukraine when he was 10. His father stayed behind in Russia and eventually joined the Russian Military as a tank crewman. They ended up meeting each other on the battlefield in their respective vehicles. The whole story is pretty crazy but also Im sure theres plenty of stories like this from the war considering how many Ukrainians have lived in Russia and vice versa.
https://x.com/wartranslated/status/1755197289029648640?s=20

The framing of this story is kind of anti-human. “His dad is nobody to him, the dad burned alive in his tank but this guy’s real family are his fellow Bradley crew members who fight for Ukraine”. Not sentiments I feel very comfortable about.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 10, 2024

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

The Artificial Kid posted:

The framing of this story is kind of anti-human. “His dad is nobody to him, the dad burned alive in his tank but this guy’s real family are his fellow Bradley crew members who fight for Ukraine”. Not sentiments I find very comfortable about.

I've read the rejected parents thread and boy I wish more estranged parents would meet that kind of fate

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The framing of this story is kind of anti-human. “His dad is nobody to him, the dad burned alive in his tank but this guy’s real family are his fellow Bradley crew members who fight for Ukraine”. Not sentiments I feel very comfortable about.

Not sure what there is to be uncomfortable about? If someone is not in your life why would you care who they are or what they're doing? And yes you do tend to get close with the people you're in war with.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Tarezax posted:

I've read the rejected parents thread and boy I wish more estranged parents would meet that kind of fate

I'm not going to endorse bloodshed, but the deed is done. There's no justice in the tragedy of war, and that the kid's dad having been willing to support Russia creates a thousand questions about why, whether it was desperation or forced enlistment or a million other things.

Lots of people are lovely, but the only justice here would be if Russia were to actually cease fighting with Ukraine and withdraw. Which unfortunately is not looking like something happening any time soon.

Uh, lovely dad who fought for Russia while son fights for Ukraine summarizes basically everything here.

War is anti-human, but I would haphazard a guess that this is not really anything notable from the perspective of the war.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
War in Ukraine CE: Djingo unchained

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 10, 2024

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

putin gets to be the next in a long line of examples in the story of "what happens to your brain if everyone around you is afraid to contradict or disagree with you"

guy probably gone off on these endless abe simpson history explainers for years and years and what the gently caress is anyone around him going to do but smile and nod, and now you got hundreds of thousands of people dead because of his revanchist boomerbrain

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

wet_goods posted:

War in Ukraine CE: Djingo unchained

:emptyquote:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I think signing up for murderous occupation force to get out of alcohol-induced loan abyss and get back at your son is more anti-human but you do you

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Staluigi posted:

putin gets to be the next in a long line of examples in the story of "what happens to your brain if everyone around you is afraid to contradict or disagree with you"

guy probably gone off on these endless abe simpson history explainers for years and years and what the gently caress is anyone around him going to do but smile and nod, and now you got hundreds of thousands of people dead because of his revanchist boomerbrain

Yeah the interview feels like Putin either wasn't briefed well on what to emphasise, or completely ignored his brief in favour of what he wanted to talk about (his obscure historical revisionism). Personally, given his ranty monologues in the past (I'm thinking in particular the one on the eve of the invasion), I suspect the latter.

Both suggest that those around him are either too weak/scared to tell him what he doesn't want to hear (that nobody in the West cares about his deranged theories about ancient history and Ukraine, and that he's simply not important or influential enough in the West to make people care or believe them), or that some people do brief him well, but are ignored in favour of like-minded yes-men, who indulge his fantasies.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 10, 2024

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
To be honest, that whole story sounds a lot like the Ghost of Bradley.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Can we please not poke fun at a son and father fighting each other to the death? War is hell enough. Thanks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I watched the interview and it's unclear to me that the now famous exchange between the Bradley and T-90 was in fact the one against father and son on opposing sides, or if it was some other exchange?

Crazy story. Reeks of propaganda a bit but stuff like this is bound to happen between countries so historically intertwined.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Staluigi posted:

Apperently that big horror show meeting behind closed doors with trump was the same poo poo with tucker. Putin is a weird nerd reactionary who corners you in a room like Simon wheeler and then talks a long rambling yarn about how the tsar in 874 trained a frog to jump and then a perfidious Ukrainian poured buckshot in the frogs mouth and cheated out of the jumping contest bet, and that is why they arnt real.

spankmeister posted:

I watched the interview and it's unclear to me that the now famous exchange between the Bradley and T-90 was in fact the one against father and son on opposing sides, or if it was some other exchange?

Crazy story. Reeks of propaganda a bit but stuff like this is bound to happen between countries so historically intertwined.

I think it’s more they were in the same general battle/frontline. I don’t think there was some cinematic gundam duel.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 10, 2024

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Reeks of ghost of kiev 2.0 bullshit imo. Or is everyone with a relative they haven't talked to in decades just casually ringing each other up after every fight and talking about their side of the battle. Weren't phones cracked down on after they kept being used to find and bomb each other?

""He was like, 'son, once I knew it was you, I stopped firing!'" Oleksandr said. "I was like, 'so what?' When we were leaving, something kept coming at us."" Oleksandr, who described his father as a "nobody" whom he had not seen since childhood, rejected a plea to join the Russian Army.

How did he even know it was him if he hadn't seen him since childhood and his son was in an enemy tank? None of that story makes sense.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Who in the gently caress was that Putin / Tucker interview even for?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cr0y posted:

Vladimir Putin's reelection campaign

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

cr0y posted:

It was probably supposed to produce some sick burns against Biden/America that chuds/tankies could use to meme and spread around, but the only clip that's gone viral so far is the sick burn on Carlson.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nenonen posted:

Vladimir Putin's reelection campaign

It's this. In the weird reverse cargo cult of democracy that is Russia's semi-totalitarian regime, giving interviews to journalists from 'important' countries is an important tool of legitimisation. Just another empty ritual.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Tucker wanted to do it because it would trigger the libs, unfortunately for him Putin doesn't really care what Tucker wants.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

It's this. In the weird reverse cargo cult of democracy that is Russia's semi-totalitarian regime, giving interviews to journalists from 'important' countries is an important tool of legitimisation. Just another empty ritual.

Semi?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hybrid, according to the Carnegie Endowment: Putin’s War Has Moved Russia From Authoritarianism to Hybrid Totalitarianism

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So I saw this article on US 155 mm production based on a presentation back in 2/5:
https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2024/02/army-aims-double-155mm-shell-production-october/393943/

Which I thought was really funny - I guess we're all waiting for a plant in Texas to come online and provide the first major bump in production fall of this year *assuming funding, blah blah blah. I wonder what the second steep rise in April 2025 is supposed to be based on, other plants coming online? But the main thing is the dotted blue line showing the Dec 2022/March 2023 targets to make current performance look good when it's really barely making Sept 2023 goals of 100k shells/month in 2025 (now late 2025).

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/us-aims-make-100000-artillery-shells-per-month-2025-us-official-says-2023-09-15/

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Bottom line is that war on that scale needs about 10 thousand shells per day (plus barrels). The US will end up around 3000. God help us if Korea or China heats up.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I lately too to reading pikabu.ru which is a russian reddit and they are as dissapointed everyone by this interview. It failed even as propaganda piece, everyone hoped for something tangible not "Yaroslav the wise said a thing in the year 1010" as an explanation for this war.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

God drat, imagine having to realize that you should have listened to Tucker Carlson. What a dire state of affairs.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Concerning Zelensky sacking Zaluzhny, this is not the first time in history when a commander in chief sacks a too independent commander. It was no secret that Zaluzhny would always choose what he thinks is good his armed forces over whats good for Zelensky, IMO the Economist interview was an attempt to force Zelensky's hand. His replacement Syrsky, is by no means an incompetent commander, he was in charge of a very successful retaking of Kherson region, however he is very unpopular with his subordinates. He is described with words ranging from "a butcher" with no mercy or concern for his own losses to "hyperactive pedant" which sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to serve under.
However the biggest problem is not obedience of the commander of the armed forces to the commander in chief, the biggest problem is mobilization, finding more men that could fight. This is a problem that both putin and Zelensky both struggle with. In both countries, those that were willing are already there, either dead or serving. In putin's case he opted for "limited mobilization" which is cutting a tail with small increments it is painful each time but not as painful as total war which russian conscription centers and logistics on the frontline cannot process anyway. And he will not order another "limited conscription" until the elections next month. Zelensky does not have this option, he can only declare total war, forced conscription of fighting age males to fill the gaps and that's it. Right now Ukraine is in a state of limited war, there are those who fight and there are those who sit or work in coffee shops, rave in dance parties etc. I'm pretty sure the total war issue was the main point of contention with Zaluzhny, however removing Zaluzhny does not remove the issue itself. In order to win, Ukraine must force mobilize their fighting population and somehow weather the collapse of economy due to workers leaving workplace, crowds storming EU borders to escape, these kinds of internal problems.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

OneEightHundred posted:

Tucker wanted to do it because it would trigger the libs, unfortunately for him Putin doesn't really care what Tucker wants.

And putin did it because he correctly deduced that tucker is the easy mark's easy mark, making this the perfect setup for getting to domineer over a weakling in a controlled environment that the weakling is too stupid to engineer against

And then putin couldn't help himself and turned it into 46 minutes of him babbling on about ninjago lore

somehow they both memed themselves

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Staluigi posted:

And then putin couldn't help himself and turned it into 46 minutes of him babbling on about ninjago lore

Hey! Ninjago lore is actually very cool and good, compared to the weird brainworms Putin has :colbert:

Content:
Trump says stupid poo poo re NATO, is Trump: https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/10/politics/trump-russia-nato/index.html
Overview of the current troubles Ukraine has with supplies, esp. artillery ammo: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/11/ukraine-outgunned-and-exhausted-what-hope-if-us-military-aid-dries-up

Quote: "the current estimate is that Russia is firing 10,000 artillery shells a day to Ukraine’s 2,000, a dismal ratio that may yet worsen in the absence of future US gifts of ammunition."

Right now poo poo is hosed, EU countries will eventually be producing more 155 mm ammo though, but that will probably take like 6-18 months or something I dunno

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Additional shell production always feels like it's two years away.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nervous posted:

Additional shell production always feels like it's two years away.

US production is over 2x what it was at the start of the war, on track to hit 4x or so by fall of 2024. But the US is also backfilling donations already made and gave tens of thousands of rounds to Israel rather than funneling increased production straight to Ukraine.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Does anyone know the breakdown in the type of shells being supplied to Ukraine? The incoming vs outgoing fire is approximately 5:1 against the Ukrainians at the moment but if they are still getting some high precision shells or cluster munitions, it might not be as bad as it sounds.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Sekenr posted:

Concerning Zelensky sacking Zaluzhny, this is not the first time in history when a commander in chief sacks a too independent commander. It was no secret that Zaluzhny would always choose what he thinks is good his armed forces over whats good for Zelensky, IMO the Economist interview was an attempt to force Zelensky's hand. His replacement Syrsky, is by no means an incompetent commander, he was in charge of a very successful retaking of Kherson region, however he is very unpopular with his subordinates. He is described with words ranging from "a butcher" with no mercy or concern for his own losses to "hyperactive pedant" which sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to serve under.
However the biggest problem is not obedience of the commander of the armed forces to the commander in chief, the biggest problem is mobilization, finding more men that could fight. This is a problem that both putin and Zelensky both struggle with. In both countries, those that were willing are already there, either dead or serving. In putin's case he opted for "limited mobilization" which is cutting a tail with small increments it is painful each time but not as painful as total war which russian conscription centers and logistics on the frontline cannot process anyway. And he will not order another "limited conscription" until the elections next month. Zelensky does not have this option, he can only declare total war, forced conscription of fighting age males to fill the gaps and that's it. Right now Ukraine is in a state of limited war, there are those who fight and there are those who sit or work in coffee shops, rave in dance parties etc. I'm pretty sure the total war issue was the main point of contention with Zaluzhny, however removing Zaluzhny does not remove the issue itself. In order to win, Ukraine must force mobilize their fighting population and somehow weather the collapse of economy due to workers leaving workplace, crowds storming EU borders to escape, these kinds of internal problems.

The confusing thing is Ukraine did this then announced plans to focus on defense in 2024 and to start construction on huge defensive fortifications, which kind of goes against the idea of big wins for Zelensky.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1756613096582324685

Starlink story has legs apparently, with Emerald Spacedick reacting

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1756758674087825879

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

very well, musk. clearly these reports are false, on your honor as chief drugs insanity griftosphere meme man