Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m tempted to call that sword a trap. Yes 1d4 extra damage is nice, but it doesn’t have a +1 enhancement so on average it’s only 1.5 damage more than a +1 sword; and losing that extra attack from a +1 weapon is a big deal in the early game where it’s a struggle to hit things.

Its really good until you get svartlebees, +1 two handers aren't exactly raining in act 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everburn Blade is usually enough to get you to Tyr’s Longblade, Phalar Aluve or Sorrow if you steal it from the Druid’s Grove. Jorgal’s Greatsword is the real Act 1 MVP for any non-githyanki though.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

RIP my honor mode run, Orin somehow interrupted my cast of 9 magic missiles after I’d only shot 3 of them (???) and stunned my caster so I couldn’t keep wiping her unstoppable stacks, I almost escaped but then one of her dudes got off a slow and her super flight/jump finished me off. lol that’s it for me for a while.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Poor grub, you should be fired

Sounds like you may have missed a certain camp event that can trigger. Believe you me, Grub wasn't any worse for wear and Orin totally had it coming.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I did everything to get the owlbear cub and it never showed up at my camp, so on every playthrough now I spam long rests before I transition acts just to wring out every camp scene

Annoying but hey that's why it's a lovely mechanic

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The mod that tells you when you've got a camp event coming up is pretty handy and probably something Larian should put in the game, coming up with a diegetic reason for it shouldn't be that difficult.

Speaking of the owlbear cub... I just got back to the owlbear cave and suddenly realized there's no real justification for killing the owlbear mum, is there? Slaughtering wildlife just cos its offspring makes a cute pet seems bad

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

If you don’t the goblins will. Fate spins along as it should.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The cub isn't exactly better off with its mother, given that it tells you that it had an older sibling that its mother ate.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yeah well moorhens are pretty infanticidal too but that doesn't mean I'm going to dismantle my local duck pond

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The mod that tells you when you've got a camp event coming up is pretty handy and probably something Larian should put in the game, coming up with a diegetic reason for it shouldn't be that difficult.

Just have your worm start complaining that it senses something about to go down and wants you to be rested for it, 90% of camp events are things that the Worm Network could plausibly know about anyway

quote:

Speaking of the owlbear cub... I just got back to the owlbear cave and suddenly realized there's no real justification for killing the owlbear mum, is there? Slaughtering wildlife just cos its offspring makes a cute pet seems bad

owlbears are magically created so they basically count as an introduced species wherever they are, it's pest control

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yeah well moorhens are pretty infanticidal too but that doesn't mean I'm going to dismantle my local duck pond

All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to sit by and do nothing.

Fill the pond.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I just started my 2nd run of this with a compulsive liar female halfling bard called Tealeaf. She has a nice hat.

I missed the owlbear cub first time around so went about getting it; any feeling of regret from killing the mother quickly dissipated when I saw the cub's reaction.

Also enjoyed sending the Absolute mooks in as shock troops and wasting them before they knew what was happening as soon as the mother died, so as to prevent them hurting the cub. Game good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Saraiguma posted:

Its really good until you get svartlebees, +1 two handers aren't exactly raining in act 1

You can buy +1 weapons from Dammon.

That being said; I’m personally not a fan of using a great weapon that early in the game. Someone dual wielding 1handers will be much more effective till around level 6-8 at least.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

After Yenna got murdered by Orin, I couldn’t figure out what to do with the body and it felt weird having a child’s corpse just out in the open in my campsite all the time. I decided to turn her into a mummy with Create Undead and bring her with me to get revenge on the Bhaal cult personally.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gatto Grigio posted:

After Yenna got murdered by Orin, I couldn’t figure out what to do with the body and it felt weird having a child’s corpse just out in the open in my campsite all the time. I decided to turn her into a mummy with Create Undead and bring her with me to get revenge on the Bhaal cult personally.

Well that's way more creative than what I did, which was stuff her in the camp chest.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Professor Beetus posted:

Well that's way more creative than what I did, which was stuff her in the camp chest.

That’s actually what I tried to do first, but for some reason the game wouldn’t let me.

(I’m playing the Xbox version, but maybe you can do it on PC?)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gatto Grigio posted:

That’s actually what I tried to do first, but for some reason the game wouldn’t let me.

(I’m playing the Xbox version, but maybe you can do it on PC?)

Yeah I just picked her up and sent her to camp. :rip:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Black Noise posted:

If you don’t the goblins will. Fate spins along as it should.

No they don't. If you defeat the goblin leaders, before going into the cave, both are still alive. And yes, it makes no sense to bother them in this case.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

No they don't. If you defeat the goblin leaders, before going into the cave, both are still alive. And yes, it makes no sense to bother them in this case.

Excuse me homie. My camp chest needs that extremely mid armour.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Should I go to the Moonrise rooftop or the pool under the mausoleum first? The former has a hostile guy marked "invincible", but the latter is said to lock you out of a bunch of locations. I don't know what the game wants me to do next. I think I'm done with the optional quests.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

woodenchicken posted:

Should I go to the Moonrise rooftop or the pool under the mausoleum first? The former has a hostile guy marked "invincible", but the latter is said to lock you out of a bunch of locations. I don't know what the game wants me to do next. I think I'm done with the optional quests.

The pool first. Just make sure you’ve done everything else apart from the rooftop and explored the whole act 2 map before you go to the pool. Then once you’re done with the pool you’ll be able to do the rooftop fight. Make sure shadowheart is in your party when you go to the pool.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Don't worry, should you choose to leave the owlbear be, after a long rest the question switches from "is it right to kill this owlbear to take its cub as a pet" to "how do I rescue this owlbear cub from the goblins that killed its mother?"

The answer is violence, btw.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Runa posted:

Don't worry, should you choose to leave the owlbear be, after a long rest the question switches from "is it right to kill this owlbear to take its cub as a pet" to "how do I rescue this owlbear cub from the goblins that killed its mother?"

The answer is violence, btw.

The actual answer is agree to the race, raise the bet, use Speak with Animals to coach the cub to cheat for you, intimidate the goblin into giving you the maximum amount of gold, and then violence.

I forget if you can get the other half of the broken spear if you don't personally kill owlbear mom. Not that the fixed spear is great, but it is handy for a few of the scarier act 1 fights.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

You can. It's still sticking out of her corpse if the goblins kill her.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gatto Grigio posted:

I'm sadly denied that option and seem to be stuck with some weird kid talking about a pairing knife forever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’ve never actually been able to get Yenna to make me soup.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Buy the soup :colbert:

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Yall leave Yenna alone. She is a sweetheart.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

In my first playthrough Yenna made soup and sold various camp supplies, this time she doesn't progress beyond telling me that she's going to make soup. My theory with no evidence is that she isn't bothering to make soup because we're in the Elfsong 'camp site' instead of the actual camp site since I think that's the only difference in this playthrough.

I like the novelty of the Elfsong but I don't actually like the layout of it at all and wish I could just go back to sleeping in the dirt or whatever.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The Berzerker posted:

In my first playthrough Yenna made soup and sold various camp supplies, this time she doesn't progress beyond telling me that she's going to make soup. My theory with no evidence is that she isn't bothering to make soup because we're in the Elfsong 'camp site' instead of the actual camp site since I think that's the only difference in this playthrough.

I like the novelty of the Elfsong but I don't actually like the layout of it at all and wish I could just go back to sleeping in the dirt or whatever.

I'd like the Elfsong more if my companions weren't arranged perfectly equidistant in a line motionless, they may as well be loving T posing since they have zero camp animations or banter

Hopefully the patch somewhat fixes this

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Thundarr posted:

The actual answer is agree to the race, raise the bet, use Speak with Animals to coach the cub to cheat for you, intimidate the goblin into giving you the maximum amount of gold, and then violence.

I forget if you can get the other half of the broken spear if you don't personally kill owlbear mom. Not that the fixed spear is great, but it is handy for a few of the scarier act 1 fights.

That fixed spear IS great, it blinds reliably and can be thrown!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm sadly denied that option and seem to be stuck with some weird kid talking about a pairing knife forever.

Same! You'd think with all my camp supplies in the chest shed find something to cook.

I think I'm getting close to the end. One more Chosen to deal with and only a few side quests left. Good times!

A couple more QoL things I wish were in the unmodded game since I'm on console:

Dye previews. C'mon Larian, it can't be that hard!

More color options for hair. If you want red, orange, green, whatever hair there aren't any dark options for them. Even the darkest versions are super bright. Which os word because they have the darker colors for things like lips so I don't know why they aren't included with hair.

A magical bag that all of your orange border quest stuff automatically goes into and doesn't weigh anything.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

10 Beers posted:

Dye previews. C'mon Larian, it can't be that hard!

Hardest part of honor mode was definitely not being able to quicksave before trying a new dye

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The absolute worst camp in the game is the shadowlands one, I still can't loving find Withers consistently

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I like the camp with the house on top of a hill :shobon:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I just want to take a moment to marvel at how much effort Larian put into the camps - there are so many of them, including for tiny areas where most players might never decide to rest. They could have had one camp per act, or even just one camp for the whole game like Dragon Age origins did; and nobody would have noticed or been bothered by it.

Stuff like this is why this game is just unprecedented in overall quality; they put so much care and thought into the tiniest details.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The absolute worst camp in the game is the shadowlands one, I still can't loving find Withers consistently

I deliberately go to moonrise every time I long rest in act 2 because its camp is the best

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Lord Bude posted:

I just want to take a moment to marvel at how much effort Larian put into the camps - there are so many of them, including for tiny areas where most players might never decide to rest. They could have had one camp per act, or even just one camp for the whole game like Dragon Age origins did; and nobody would have noticed or been bothered by it.

Stuff like this is why this game is just unprecedented in overall quality; they put so much care and thought into the tiniest details.

first time I didn't get the starting camp I panicked because I had started decorating already

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Entropic posted:

lol god dammit, it's exactly this. I could have sworn I had it happen before act III but I must be misremembering.
loving lol this is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
In anticipation of starting a 2nd playthrough, can folks comment on which Wizard subclass they found unexpectedly engaging or fun (not necessarily most optimized)?