Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

They did, after all, take back what they never said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tim Dog saved Xbox.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
The name of that next console? XreamCast

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neco posted:

The name of that next console? XreamCast

Brought to you by xvideos

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
CreamCast

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

you're the tim now, dog

Lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Phil hasn't addressed all the xbox slander this past week because he's been busy.

Cut him some slack

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

When Phil Spencer reveals his plan you will all regret your words and deeds

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Petition to name the next Xbox console (which will definitely be a thing), the Series Tim

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
My personal theory is that they are going to just make a console interface for Windows 12 and make some windows 12 boxes that are designed to hook up to a TV and get out of the specific "console generation" game.

This would also help them compete with things like the steam deck by making the windows interface not suck for windows based handhelds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That won’t happen

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Substandard posted:

My personal theory is that they are going to just make a console interface for Windows 12 and make some windows 12 boxes that are designed to hook up to a TV and get out of the specific "console generation" game.

This would also help them compete with things like the steam deck by making the windows interface not suck for windows based handhelds.

Finally were going to get Office for Xbox.

Can't wait to do pivot tables on my TV with a gamepad.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Crafty posted:

Petition to name the next Xbox console (which will definitely be a thing), the Series Tim

I would unironically pre-order a TimBox; the next Xbox.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That won’t happen

Probably not. But I think it's a good idea. They already put all their games on PC day one.

I would like it if you could just set windows to boot into a console interface like a steam deck where you can switch to a traditional desktop view if you need it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
XtreameBox is coming, I feel it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

McTimmy posted:

XtreameBox is coming, I feel it.
look who came crawling back

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Seltzer posted:

Phil hasn't addressed all the xbox slander this past week because he's been busy.

Cut him some slack

Not wearing a metal gear shirt, that jerk

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Phil going to come out and reiterate his commitment to Xbox and everything that happened the last week was just to smoke out the leakers, who are then rolled out on hand carts with straight jackets

Oh poo poo am I going to be right

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Sywert of Thieves posted:

My kid saw some Xbox games promo on the news and now he wants to play Forza Horizon 2. I'm not even sure it still runs, but I've still got the disc, gonna try tonight.

I just bought a series x a couple months ago after skipping xbone generation. One of the first things I did was order the FH2 disc used, since you can’t buy it digitally anymore. I’m having a great time despite all the online stuff/leaderboards not working. The unskippable cutscenes at the beginning were brutal and some stuff is pretty clunky compared to modern FH, but is good otherwise

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Phil Spencer reportedly held an internal townhall meeting this week and reassured employees Microsoft ‘won’t stop winning back TimDog’

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Question: I have a Xbox 360 Elite, and the dvd drive is dying. I want to continute to play 360 games though, particularly RockBand, for which I have all the hardware. It had the RROD, but was fixed and was reliable till a year or so ago, when the drive starting acting up. Which is the best option?
  • Buy a replacement drive, swap the drive board and install in my current Xbox 360. I would be ok doing this, but it is a bit of a pain to open the console, and I'm unsure how long that would fix it? I think this is like $50 plus my time and suffering.
  • Buy a another xbox360. It seems the E and S models are more reliable? Is this still true after all this time? This seems like $100 - $200
  • Buy a newer Xbox. I haven't kept up with everything, so while I understand that most games are compatible I'm not sure if there are any gotchas. I mostly would play RockBand and would like to keep my current peripherals, so it would be great to validate that that would work. Actually not sure on the cost here.
  • Some other option?

I am open to paying $$, but I think I'm most interested in having something reliable, over a cheap fix that might only work for a year or two.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
buy a series x

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Rock band is one of the few games that’s not covered by backwards compatibility

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Steve Yun posted:

Rock band is one of the few games that’s not covered by backwards compatibility

There's perfectly fine Rock Band 4 for Xbone, that works on current gen consoles too.
You get to play your old DLC songs and even Disc songs, if you have transferred the licenses previously.
You do need a dongle to use any old 360 wireless guitars though. and old wired guitars don't work.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Just thought of another question - I'm reading the wikipedia on the RockBand DLC and it's not super clear if I got a new console, that I could actually download all the songs I've purchased on to the new console. It's ambiguous as a song might not still be for sale, but might be downloadable if you already purchased it? Also there seems there was talk of being able to back up downloaded songs, but again, it's not clear if this was actually implemented, and if so, if it would work on a separate console. Ack!

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Issaries posted:

There's perfectly fine Rock Band 4 for Xbone, that works on current gen consoles too.
You get to play your old DLC songs and even Disc songs, if you have transferred the licenses previously.
You do need a dongle to use any old 360 wireless guitars though. and old wired guitars don't work.

ok, so if I went with an Xbone, or a series X, I'd have to buy the new console, new game, an adapter, and transfer the licenses to the new console? But I could still D/L all my previous DLC (that was compatible with RB3)? Is it just the old wired guitars that don't work? Cause the mics are wired.... Do they have wireless mics now?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Keep in mind that the Keyboard is no longer supported under rockband 4.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Bone Crimes posted:

[*]Some other option?

Get it modded.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

YerDa Zabam posted:

Get it modded.

I'm not sure what this means - you mean replace the DVD drive with some other thing, or ?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Bone Crimes posted:

I'm not sure what this means - you mean replace the DVD drive with some other thing, or ?

The main use Is generally for playing pirated stuff tbh, but it also lets you load every game into the hard drive, or even over the network meaning your faulty drive isn't needed, and you just play all your games straight from a dashboard
It also opens up emulation, and defeats any region locks.
I think there's even some sort of homebrew Xbox Live service going, but I've not looked into it tbh
Getting your Xbox fitted with an RGH chip is probably about 100 bux, or you can buy a pre done machine starting at about 170

This explains it better.
https://consolemods.org/wiki/Xbox_360:Frequently_Asked_Questions_(FAQ)

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 10, 2024

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

This is exactly what he would say if Microsoft wasn't going to make consoles anymore

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

This is exactly what he would say if Microsoft wasn't going to make consoles anymore

quote:

When asked about whether every future Xbox title would also come to PlayStation and Nintendo Switch, Spencer said "we will make more Xbox consoles, don't worry."

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

that's just further proof

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

YerDa Zabam posted:

The main use Is generally for playing pirated stuff tbh, but it also lets you load every game into the hard drive, or even over the network meaning your faulty drive isn't needed, and you just play all your games straight from a dashboard
It also opens up emulation, and defeats any region locks.
I think there's even some sort of homebrew Xbox Live service going, but I've not looked into it tbh
Getting your Xbox fitted with an RGH chip is probably about 100 bux, or you can buy a pre done machine starting at about 170

This explains it better.
https://consolemods.org/wiki/Xbox_360:Frequently_Asked_Questions_(FAQ)

Thanks, this is interesting. Looks like a pretty deep rabbit hole!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

heehee posted:

buy a series x

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Wrex Ruckus posted:

The production of Xbox Consoles will continue until morale improves

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bone Crimes posted:

ok, so if I went with an Xbone, or a series X, I'd have to buy the new console, new game, an adapter, and transfer the licenses to the new console? But I could still D/L all my previous DLC (that was compatible with RB3)? Is it just the old wired guitars that don't work? Cause the mics are wired.... Do they have wireless mics now?

So, you need the new game but all your dlc would be available. Downside being that you can't transfer licenses anymore for the discs, so if you haven't done that to bring your disc songs over from 1 -> 2 -> 3 already you're sol. Also they didn't make enough adapters so those are literally hundred(s?) of dollars if you want to use your old instruments. The good news is that epic has licensed out new plastic instruments that are coming soon as a result of the fortnite rock band thing, bad news being they have officially ended dlc for rock band 4 so they can do their stupid rock band in fortnite poo poo. Also epic made you do some stupid account thing for them in order to have your leaderboards, and got rid of the built in leaderboards that were perfectly fine.

Fwiw I have more music in rock band than I will ever need, so rock band 4 on my series x is really nice, because it loads fast and works exactly as it should. But epic sucks poo poo and other than making new instruments I think every other decision they've made is god awful. if you can fix your 360 or get a new one I'd recommend that for rock band purposes tbh.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Or just get into Clone Hero. :v:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

So, you need the new game but all your dlc would be available. Downside being that you can't transfer licenses anymore for the discs, so if you haven't done that to bring your disc songs over from 1 -> 2 -> 3 already you're sol. Also they didn't make enough adapters so those are literally hundred(s?) of dollars if you want to use your old instruments. The good news is that epic has licensed out new plastic instruments that are coming soon as a result of the fortnite rock band thing, bad news being they have officially ended dlc for rock band 4 so they can do their stupid rock band in fortnite poo poo. Also epic made you do some stupid account thing for them in order to have your leaderboards, and got rid of the built in leaderboards that were perfectly fine.

Fwiw I have more music in rock band than I will ever need, so rock band 4 on my series x is really nice, because it loads fast and works exactly as it should. But epic sucks poo poo and other than making new instruments I think every other decision they've made is god awful. if you can fix your 360 or get a new one I'd recommend that for rock band purposes tbh.

Thanks for this. Christ what a mess. What an amazing way to screw over your dedicated fans. I think I am leaning to just fixing my current Xbox, and maybe picking up another working 360, to limp along for a few more years. Why do they never make enough converters? They had this problem too when I wanted to use my 360 controllers on the pc and they were essentially unobtainium even when they came out. I did move over the licenses from 1-2->3, so I have that at least.

Dewgy posted:

Or just get into Clone Hero. :v:

And this. I do most of my gaming on PC on a big screen, so if I was going to put some effort into rebuilding a RockBand system, it probably would be best to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Bone Crimes posted:

Question: I have a Xbox 360 Elite, and the dvd drive is dying. I want to continute to play 360 games though, particularly RockBand, for which I have all the hardware. It had the RROD, but was fixed and was reliable till a year or so ago, when the drive starting acting up. Which is the best option?
  • Buy a replacement drive, swap the drive board and install in my current Xbox 360. I would be ok doing this, but it is a bit of a pain to open the console, and I'm unsure how long that would fix it? I think this is like $50 plus my time and suffering.
  • Buy a another xbox360. It seems the E and S models are more reliable? Is this still true after all this time? This seems like $100 - $200
  • Buy a newer Xbox. I haven't kept up with everything, so while I understand that most games are compatible I'm not sure if there are any gotchas. I mostly would play RockBand and would like to keep my current peripherals, so it would be great to validate that that would work. Actually not sure on the cost here.
  • Some other option?

I am open to paying $$, but I think I'm most interested in having something reliable, over a cheap fix that might only work for a year or two.

I see 360s at goodwill (tested) for <$40. Seems like that’s the easiest and most cost effective solution.