Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

Coyote Vs. Acme likely to be deleted forever

WB has rejected every offer and refused to let Netflix, Amazon, and Paramount give counter-offers.
oh come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like at this point they're demonstrably acting against the interests of their shareholders out of pettiness.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Robindaybird posted:

WB has rejected every offer and refused to let Netflix, Amazon, and Paramount give counter-offers. It's clear they want this to die.

I wouldn't be surprised if these leaks get WB to back down and accept a lower offer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if these leaks get WB to back down and accept a lower offer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't

Depends on if they could get the same amount of backlash the original announcement got, and even then, article notes it was probably to secure some filmmaker deals, which they got so, who knows with Warner

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

WB has rejected every offer and refused to let Netflix, Amazon, and Paramount give counter-offers. It's clear they want this to die.

Why? Seriously, just why? What's the purpose?

mystes
May 31, 2006

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Why? Seriously, just why? What's the purpose?
Supposedly they somehow save $35 million from writing it off. It apparently cost $70 million to make and the article is saying they wanted at least that much, so I'm guessing the streaming services were offering something between $35 million and $70 million.

Maybe they're concerned that accepting it would affect future prices for streaming rights? Maybe they were hoping that if they held out someone would eventually offer $70 million? But since everyone already knows the movie isn't going to see the light of day otherwise it's kind of a unique situation anyway so I'm not sure it really makes sense.

Also even if the amount of money they would save by writing it off is only equal to the profit from selling it off, I still think they should sell it so they don't gently caress over all the people who spent a ton of time working on it.

Edit: Also, even if the movie didn't directly make money, it would probably lead to increased interest in future loony toons movies/shows and merchandise. It's weird because if it was Disney/Marvel that would probably be enough motivation to ensure as many people saw it as possible even if they were actually going to lose money that way.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 9, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Someone has gotta go in there and leak this movie, it is absurd they made a whole rear end movie and are just going to throw it away

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not to mention this kind of screwball antics is making directors and production teams reconsider doing any work for WB, because if they're doing this to one of their flagship IPs - what's to stop them from loving over other projects?

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 9, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Also even if the amount of money they would save by writing it off is only equal to the profit from selling it off, I still think they should sell it so they don't gently caress over all the people who spent a ton of time working on it.

There's a little tinfoil hatted part of my brain that thinks that maybe they're more afraid that if it does well it makes them look even stupider than if they canned it, so they've decided to settle on just looking the usual amount of stupid.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe WB has figured out that the real money is in pachinko machines.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just hope that there's some type of producers style thing that can gently caress them over, like if the movie gets leaked in it's entirety it'll count as being released so instead of a tax break they have to pay ALL the taxes on it AS WELL as losing any residuals they'd have got from tickets and other sales. They need to get hurt from the bottom line.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Since they're being so publicly indignant about it, I would be seriously surprised if an employee doesn't copy the whole thing, store it for a few years, then leak it.

After the treatment Pantheon S1 got, a few of us got spooked and I know personal copies of both seasons exist. We have to protect the loving YEARS we invest into these projects.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Didn't someone had to resort to piracy to get a copy of the show that he was the showrunner of?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Since they're being so publicly indignant about it, I would be seriously surprised if an employee doesn't copy the whole thing, store it for a few years, then leak it.

After the treatment Pantheon S1 got, a few of us got spooked and I know personal copies of both seasons exist. We have to protect the loving YEARS we invest into these projects.

What happened to Pantheon? I only watched the series for the first time fairly recently

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Somebody pass an art preservation law so if you want to write a movie off you may do so, but you must also make it available in the public domain.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

What happened to Pantheon? I only watched the series for the first time fairly recently
Amazon seems to be burying it, afaik I don't have any legit ways to watch it at the moment

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Martman posted:

Amazon seems to be burying it, afaik I don't have any legit ways to watch it at the moment

Yeah, I just checked and neither season is available on Prime it seems (I had to resort to piracy to see it myself). Which sucks because it was a great show

Infinity Train is also in a similar boat (though in that case I believe at least the first season got a DVD release)

But yeah, as mentioned above I feel like if a company writes off a movie or show they should also immediately forfeit the rights back to the original creators or make it available in the public domain. Just chucking something into the garbage where nobody can (legally) view it anymore is stupid.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 9, 2024

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

Didn't someone had to resort to piracy to get a copy of the show that he was the showrunner of?

I think the Final Space guy had to thank someone for releasing a full download of his show on twitter when it got removed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

A lot of show creators had to do that. I recall IanJQ having to do that for OK KO and Owen Dennis basically told everyone to pirate Infinity Train since that was the only way to watch it as it was even being removed from people's Amazon lists despite buying it. The DVDs of Infinity Train went to insane prices too.

Actually Owen Dennis was, understandably, VERY pissed about it and did an interview about how lovely it was. I don't think anyone but WBD's higher ups knew they were going to memory hole a bunch of shows so it caught everyone else off guard at the same time.

In other show news (based on a movie) there's a 6 episode series based entirely around Knuckles coming to Paramount+. Idris Elba is voicing him again as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kETt59yn6A

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I read a theory that Coyote is getting axed because it was greenlit by previous leadership and for a minute I laughed it off but thinking on it I think Zaslav might just be that much of a petty bitch....

ThermoPhysical posted:

A lot of show creators had to do that. I recall IanJQ having to do that for OK KO and Owen Dennis basically told everyone to pirate Infinity Train since that was the only way to watch it as it was even being removed from people's Amazon lists despite buying it. The DVDs of Infinity Train went to insane prices too.

Actually Owen Dennis was, understandably, VERY pissed about it and did an interview about how lovely it was. I don't think anyone but WBD's higher ups knew they were going to memory hole a bunch of shows so it caught everyone else off guard at the same time.

In other show news (based on a movie) there's a 6 episode series based entirely around Knuckles coming to Paramount+. Idris Elba is voicing him again as well.

Knuckles gets his cowboy hat, show confirmed good. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Excellent song choice there :allears:

Knuckles is BEST BOY the best thing to come out of the Sonic movies so I’m glad to see he’s getting more coverage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Excellent song choice there :allears:

Knuckles is BEST BOY the best thing to come out of the Sonic movies so I’m glad to see he’s getting more coverage.

Yeah although now that Shadow's showing up and people keep fan-casting him I can only ever think of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnwk5mK6QoE

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Larryb posted:

So it started as a 2 season order, produced by AMC and developed at Titmouse. Story and design rolled off in Q1 21, S1 premiered Q3 21, S2 was fully completed in Q4 21. But by the time S1 dropped, the head at AMC had swapped and as is customary, she buried the poo poo out of the previous head's babies. There was zero advertisement, episodes were released out of order, and then weeks after S2 finished production AMC switched heads again and S1 disappeared completely from streaming with no warning. Like, folks were mid-watch and suddenly couldn't watch the next episode.

When we had our little wrap party in... April 22, I think? You could only watch S1 and only through pirating. We were told AMC was at least shopping it. Then S1 suddenly showed up on Amazon and Apple about 6 months later. S2 showed up randomly last year only in Australia? I think? S2 has never been officially released Stateside. But also it's all been taken down now, so :shrug:. To be honest, I lost track of what the hell was going on last year. They don't tell us anything, we just stumble across it.

But also on behalf of my crew, please pirate Pantheon! We were all really proud of it and just want it to be seen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

So it started as a 2 season order, produced by AMC and developed at Titmouse. Story and design rolled off in Q1 21, S1 premiered Q3 21, S2 was fully completed in Q4 21. But by the time S1 dropped, the head at AMC had swapped and as is customary, she buried the poo poo out of the previous head's babies. There was zero advertisement, episodes were released out of order, and then weeks after S2 finished production AMC switched heads again and S1 disappeared completely from streaming with no warning. Like, folks were mid-watch and suddenly couldn't watch the next episode.

When we had our little wrap party in... April 22, I think? You could only watch S1 and only through pirating. We were told AMC was at least shopping it. Then S1 suddenly showed up on Amazon and Apple about 6 months later. S2 showed up randomly last year only in Australia? I think? S2 has never been officially released Stateside. But also it's all been taken down now, so :shrug:. To be honest, I lost track of what the hell was going on last year. They don't tell us anything, we just stumble across it.

But also on behalf of my crew, please pirate Pantheon! We were all really proud of it and just want it to be seen.

You worked on that show? What’d you do?

But yeah, as I said I just watched the whole thing recently. It’s amazing and it sucks that they screwed you guys over like that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TwoPair posted:

I read a theory that Coyote is getting axed because it was greenlit by previous leadership and for a minute I laughed it off but thinking on it I think Zaslav might just be that much of a petty bitch....

Knuckles gets his cowboy hat, show confirmed good. :colbert:

Politicians are like that, executives sure as gently caress are, especially since Zaslav openly hates scripted entertainment and thinks it's an obsolete fad and everyone only really wants reality TV slop.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Scavengers Reign was awesome. I don't know much about animation generally, but I would really like to hear of any recommendations that folks have that are similar. I really liked the weirdness of it and the style of animation as well.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
I just finished Hazbin Hotel and holy cow it took off like a rocket starting in episode 5. I wasn't really vibing with it at first but after watching the whole season I'm seriously impressed. I think many of the songs were absolutely top notch, like 10/10 wouldn't feel out of place in a broadway musical. The animation was a bit janky sometimes but I'd chalk that up to learning pains and I'm really excited to see what they do next.

I got curious about who wrote the songs and they're credited to Sam Haft and Andrew Underberg. Apparently Sam Haft got his start doing remixes of My Little Pony songs and stuck with it and now 10 years later he's writing bangers. Kind of a neat bit of trivia.

I also recently watched This World Can't Tear Me Down, an Italian show which is a sequel to Tear Along The Dotted Line. It's an extremely powerful and heartfelt attempt to tackle modern anti immigration and pro fascist sentiment, particularly as it appears in Italy, and it comes with a lot of nuance. Well worth checking out at only 6 episodes.

Das Boo posted:

You guys did great work, definitely one of the best shows I've seen in the last year along with Scavengers Reign, Hazbin Hotel, and Bluey.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sam Haft also does the songs for Helluva Boss, which aren't quite on the same level, although the two he did for the Mammon episode are pretty top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfwJL5hd3CQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9HyDRpJrsw

It should also be noted that a lot of (all?) of the score for Hazbin Hotel is done by Gooseworx, the person behind The Digital Circus

edit: Also if you're interested, there's a thread for Hazbin Hotel/Helluva Boss: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036125

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While Nintendo reportedly is very fussy about how their characters are portrayed and used by third parties but given the history of what happens when they look away for five minutes it's very hard to blame them.
I know the post is old but I wanted to ask: this is about the original mario movie, right?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I know the post is old but I wanted to ask: this is about the original mario movie, right?

CD-i Zelda and Mario games, surely.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

acetcx posted:

I got curious about who wrote the songs and they're credited to Sam Haft and Andrew Underberg. Apparently Sam Haft got his start doing remixes of My Little Pony songs and stuck with it and now 10 years later he's writing bangers. Kind of a neat bit of trivia.

This is how things work now, it seems. The (english) songs for Moana 2 are being written by a pair of young women who won a Grammy for Best Musical Theater Performance for an unofficial Bridgerton musical they did on TikTok

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Jokes aside, that movie's whole production is a dumpster fire from a production standpoint as the directors literally only used the name as an excuse to make their 'cyberpunk with dinosaurs' idea and Nintendo had to constant push to make it remotely recognisable as a Mario movie.

Some other cases don't help, yeah. Captain N also comes to mind.

LiquidChicks
Feb 10, 2024

TwoPair posted:

I'm kinda surprised just because I figured since they're doing the live-action remake, they'd be committing to that style. To do both strikes me as weird. I'm sure the Rock's overjoyed though.

Actually the live-action remake has been canceled:

The former pro wrestler turned blockbuster-maker was producing the previously announced live-action adaptation of Moana through his Seven Bucks banner. However, that project has been dropped from its June 27, 2025 release date and apparently is not even in production. Disney and Seven Bucks did not offer additional comment.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

ThermoPhysical posted:

Moana 2 coming November 27, 2024.
It's like this video but replace Elemental with Wish at the beginning

I was looking forward to the Moana TV series but not so much the Moana TV series hastily redone as a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN2VcRBZlHU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jokes aside, that movie's whole production is a dumpster fire from a production standpoint as the directors literally only used the name as an excuse to make their 'cyberpunk with dinosaurs' idea and Nintendo had to constant push to make it remotely recognisable as a Mario movie.

Some other cases don't help, yeah. Captain N also comes to mind.

iirc, Bob Hoskins admits to basically being plastered the entire time for the movie.

But yeah, you can't blame Nintendo after seeing Captain N, the Zelda cartoon, the CD-i games and the movie - kinda of like the urban legend of Miyazaki sending Disney a sword with the words "no cuts" emblazoned on it when Princess Mononoke was being dubbed given how badly Nausicaa was butchered into "Warriors of the Wind"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

iirc, Bob Hoskins admits to basically being plastered the entire time for the movie.

It was both him and John Leguizamo.

My favorite story of that movie is a quote from Dennis Hopper:

"My six-year-old son at the time – he's now 18 – he said, 'Dad I think you're probably a pretty good actor, but why did you play that terrible guy King Koopa in Super Mario Bros.?' And I said, 'Well Henry, I did that so you could have shoes,' and he said, 'Dad, I don't need shoes that badly.'"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Knuckles was great in the movie, Idris nailed the part so hard. This trailer looks really good. A few good callbacks to the games and to the movie. It’s unfortunate that it’s paramount+ going to be a while before I see it….or the pirate’s life for me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Robindaybird posted:

But yeah, you can't blame Nintendo after seeing Captain N, the Zelda cartoon, the CD-i games and the movie - kinda of like the urban legend of Miyazaki sending Disney a sword with the words "no cuts" emblazoned on it when Princess Mononoke was being dubbed given how badly Nausicaa was butchered into "Warriors of the Wind"

Excuse you The Zelda cartoon is a masterpiece

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Clicked through to make sure this was what I thought it was

lol it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Data Graham posted: