Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm trying to pick a monitor arm, but I'm considering getting an ultra wide I'm hesitant to pick one and then have my monitors not fit nicely side by side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would get two single-monitor arms instead of a dual-monitor arm, then. A couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/Single-Monitor-Mount-Articulating-Adjustable/dp/B07T3KCQ94/

A dual-arm one seems nice at first, but having both arms coming from the same mount point reduces a lot the flexibility you need when using larger monitors. Especially if you have a wall behind your desk.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Looks like we can start ordering the AW2725 and AW3225 here now. Do we know if there's any reason to forego these and wait for the other similar offerings (besides aesthetics and menu UI) ?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would get two single-monitor arms instead of a dual-monitor arm, then. A couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/Single-Monitor-Mount-Articulating-Adjustable/dp/B07T3KCQ94/

A dual-arm one seems nice at first, but having both arms coming from the same mount point reduces a lot the flexibility you need when using larger monitors. Especially if you have a wall behind your desk.

Yeah, I have a dual one and it works well enough but if I had to do it again I'd definitely get two singles.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Redundant posted:

I'm trying to pick a monitor arm, but I'm considering getting an ultra wide I'm hesitant to pick one and then have my monitors not fit nicely side by side.

For my pair of 34" ultrawide's 2x of the Huanuo single arms with the vertical shaft mount worked great. They say it only fits up to 32" but my 34's were way under the weight limit. I didn't end up reusing them with the new G7 because between the curve and the mounting bracket the finished assembly ended up wanting to sit like a foot and a half from the wall.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Man, loving parcel gods must have been throwing me a bone for once, you all got me paranoid about my AW3423DWF having shipping scratches I never noticed but looking at it it's still pristine even months later

Edit: Regarding monitor arms: You should make sure what you're buying is rated for a curved monitor, there was a whole thing where one of the rather high-end Humanscale arms was busting off with curved monitors even though they were under the weight limit of the arm, was then determined to be because of the different center of gravity of curved monitors causing stress on different areas of the arm. This was a few years ago and I believe they specifically have addressed it and redesigned their entire line with new curved monitor spec ratings, but a lot of amazon sellers didn't really get the memo or don't care and don't make any mention of curved monitors in their weight ratings. just something to think about.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 6, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Icept posted:

Looks like we can start ordering the AW2725 and AW3225 here now. Do we know if there's any reason to forego these and wait for the other similar offerings (besides aesthetics and menu UI) ?

There’s been some issues people have had with how Dell is packaging these for shipment, i.e. not using a suitable screen protector, so the cover that goes over the full display, is sometimes causing scratches or residue on the display itself. Seems like a bit of an oversight since Dell usually does a pretty good job of covering the display.

I’m interested now too, because I found a bunch of hand lotion on my Neo G7… I’m not sure which young rascal did it, but it did not come off nicely unfortunately.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Firmware update for AW3225QF https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=750fy&oscode=wt64a&productcode=aw3225qf-monitor

Fixes & Enhancements
1. Fix firmware bug related to Creator Mode Gamma adjustment during monitor displaying HDR content.
2. Improve Creator Mode sRGB EOTF curve tracking on dark level.
3. Update OSD Thermal warning message.
4. Fix G-Sync/VRR image tearing issue.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

phosdex posted:

Firmware update for AW3225QF https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=750fy&oscode=wt64a&productcode=aw3225qf-monitor

Fixes & Enhancements
1. Fix firmware bug related to Creator Mode Gamma adjustment during monitor displaying HDR content.
2. Improve Creator Mode sRGB EOTF curve tracking on dark level.
3. Update OSD Thermal warning message.
4. Fix G-Sync/VRR image tearing issue.

Thank Baby Jesus

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Icept posted:

Not really unless you absolutely hate curved screens (the upcoming monitors from Asus and MSI will be flat). With the latest firmware update the AW3225 is the best monitor on the market IMHO.

A good site for monitor and TV reviews/updates is https://www.flatpanelshd.com/. Straight forward news and reviews of the latest TVs and monitors.

Rtings also just posted their review here. Very high marks.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3225qf

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
dear Gigabyte if you're going to ask for oddly long VESA mount screws and not specify the size/length, then, maybe, include em in the box? You're already giving me 3 power cables, what's a bag of screws?

based on reading the manuals this is, I think, a weird artifact of the M27Q rev 1.0 having screws for the stand (which you then reuse for a VESA mount) and the rev 2.0 not having screws for the stand (which you therefore cannot reuse) ... and the only manual I can find which tells you a length ("M4 20mm minimum") is the M27Q-P, which seems to have the same stand as M27Q rev2.0. I guess we'll find out!

alternately if anyone can confirm what length screws they used for their M27Q that'd be lovely. This is harshing new monitor day vibes, of course I assumed I could just reuse my existing bracket and screws. VESA is standard, I thought. Everything's the same! yes, i'm a dumbass.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Psion posted:

dear Gigabyte if you're going to ask for oddly long VESA mount screws and not specify the size/length, then, maybe, include em in the box? You're already giving me 3 power cables, what's a bag of screws?

based on reading the manuals this is, I think, a weird artifact of the M27Q rev 1.0 having screws for the stand (which you then reuse for a VESA mount) and the rev 2.0 not having screws for the stand (which you therefore cannot reuse) ... and the only manual I can find which tells you a length ("M4 20mm minimum") is the M27Q-P, which seems to have the same stand as M27Q rev2.0. I guess we'll find out!

alternately if anyone can confirm what length screws they used for their M27Q that'd be lovely. This is harshing new monitor day vibes, of course I assumed I could just reuse my existing bracket and screws. VESA is standard, I thought. Everything's the same! yes, i'm a dumbass.

I just used the screws that came with my monitor arm and they work fine

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I bought a VESA kit of diff screws and spacers off amazon a number of years back that has been useful for mounting a number of monitors and tvs.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
oh that's a good idea, I should probably just get one of those and be ready.

change my name posted:

I just used the screws that came with my monitor arm and they work fine

it's possible my arm came with short and long screw sets that I've lost in the intervening few years since I set it up but eh, local hardware store is 5 minutes away and some 20mms weren't hard to pick up. I'm just being an old man yelling at clouds (bad manuals) :v:

e: I should've mentioned - four slightly longer screws later and everything went perfectly. so nice compared to my old monitors, and this is midrange at best. A few years from now when I think about OLEDs...hell yeah

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 7, 2024

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Update on my dead monitor: I got a multimeter. The power brick is rated for 19V, and I'm reading 19.95V. Is that OK? I tested the meter on a random D cell battery and got 1.49V so I think its probably accurate.

Assuming the power brick is good, that means the problem is with the monitor. So do I just take it to a repair shop and hope for the best?

I forgot to mention originally, the day this happened was a big storm and we had small brownouts. I don't know if the kind of damage that would cause is reparable or not.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Sorry about your monitor troubles. :( I have nothing to add other than posting about these pretty monitors that I saw.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pixio-px248wave-gaming-monitor#/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VostokProgram posted:

Update on my dead monitor: I got a multimeter. The power brick is rated for 19V, and I'm reading 19.95V. Is that OK? I tested the meter on a random D cell battery and got 1.49V so I think its probably accurate.

Assuming the power brick is good, that means the problem is with the monitor. So do I just take it to a repair shop and hope for the best?

I forgot to mention originally, the day this happened was a big storm and we had small brownouts. I don't know if the kind of damage that would cause is reparable or not.

Sometimes the power brick will read the voltage output as being correct with no load, but the supply will be damaged and unable to keep up with the current requirements under load, causing it to either voltage droop or just stop working entirely. Being just a little high on voltage is normal. I'd pick up a power supply replacement of the same voltage, the same or higher current, and ideally the same barrel jack and try that before a repair, especially if it started acting up with power issues in your area. If you pick one up on Amazon or something then you could return it if it turns out you don't need it. That's also a normal power requirement for a laptop power supply so a universal one of those might work as well as long as you get one that can do enough watts.

I have replaced the transformer for my Crossover Korean monitor twice now. It came with a 12V 3A transformer so after the first one died, I got a 12V 4A one on amazon, and that thing ran super hot and failed after just a couple of years. I bought a 12V 5A one this last time but if that craps out I'll get a more expensive 12V 4A one from Adafruit. I was able to run it on an actual big old 12V 3A transformer I have from the 90s in between getting new switching power supplies and the monitor ran great but the thing got a bit hot.

Now that all said, it could just be the monitor. You can try a repair place but sometimes the manufacturer will have the best support, if they do repairs. I've replaced a backlight and the backlight power supply in my QNIX monitor and it was a real hassle so I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself unless you're adventurous and find a guide online on what to do.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

MrMidnight posted:

Not really unless you absolutely hate curved screens (the upcoming monitors from Asus and MSI will be flat). With the latest firmware update the AW3225 is the best monitor on the market IMHO.

A good site for monitor and TV reviews/updates is https://www.flatpanelshd.com/. Straight forward news and reviews of the latest TVs and monitors.

Rtings also just posted their review here. Very high marks.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3225qf

Thanks, I was mainly looking at the AW2725 but it doesn't look like the other monitors using that panel have been reviewed yet. Think I'll wait a month and see if the MSI or Asus monitors change anything noteworthy.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

19v eh? is it an LG Ultragear? if you live somewhere near gates county NC I have an extra just sitting around doing nothing, the power supply that is.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nah I'm in CA and it's an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q from 2017. You can see why I don't want this thing to die, it's so gamer

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Condolences. Enjoy your new monitor.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Icept posted:

Thanks, I was mainly looking at the AW2725 but it doesn't look like the other monitors using that panel have been reviewed yet. Think I'll wait a month and see if the MSI or Asus monitors change anything noteworthy.

That's probably wise and the position I'm taking.

The more I ogle these new displays the more I'm swayed to trying them out. I've had an LG C2 for a year and some change and it's a fantastic looking display, but honestly way too large for my use case. I compromised on the size because 42 was the smallest OLED display available when I was in the market. I came from a 27" which I had no complaints except for it was IPS and I was spoiled by my 4K OLED TV in the living room.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Last post about the monitor catastrophe (probably). Getting a new power brick didn't fix the problem, the repair shops don't do this, and ASUS wants $85 just to diagnose it.

But I plugged it into to my laptop, and here's the weird part: outwardly the monitor appears dead, but its there in Device Manager! This thing's actually alive inside. Maybe someday when my EE skills are better or I find an expert I can take a crack at reviving it.

So, two questions:

1) What do I need to do to keep my stuff from getting killed by a power surge next time pacific gas & electric decide to poo poo their pants? Would a UPS have saved it?
2) What's the cool 1440p gsync IPS high refresh rate monitor these days? :v:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It could be one of the pcbs inside, you can buy those on ebay relatively easily, and it's relatively easy to swap out (no soldering required, usually)

You should use at least a high quality surge protector for all of your good electronics, preferably a good UPS.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VostokProgram posted:

Last post about the monitor catastrophe (probably). Getting a new power brick didn't fix the problem, the repair shops don't do this, and ASUS wants $85 just to diagnose it.

But I plugged it into to my laptop, and here's the weird part: outwardly the monitor appears dead, but its there in Device Manager! This thing's actually alive inside. Maybe someday when my EE skills are better or I find an expert I can take a crack at reviving it.

So, two questions:

1) What do I need to do to keep my stuff from getting killed by a power surge next time pacific gas & electric decide to poo poo their pants? Would a UPS have saved it?

Sorry to hear that the replacement power supply didn't work out, I was hoping it'd be a quick fix. There's no guarantees with power but I started putting everything important on UPSes after the big northeast blackout in 2003 because it killed the PSU in my computer, my dad's computer, and one of the TVs. Since then I haven't had any real problems with stuff being damaged by bad power, just normal crappy components which the UPS can't help with. Also every time there's a blackout I get to go around the house and power down my servers and the tvs and the 3d printer area to quiet all of the beeping.

There's a lot of 27" 1440 monitors with 165hz+ these days. I have a Pixio and two HP Q27s but I mostly got them because they were relatively cheap (260, 220, 180 or something if I remember right, mostly due to sales). It turns out that good displays are really basic now, and the ones that upgrade beyond that have stuff like higher refresh rates, mini leds backlights, HDR, stuff like that. It's hard to recommend one hot monitor since folks value different things in what they want out of theirs. I'd take a look on your favorite retailer and post in the thread for comments if you find one you think you want.

For some guidance there's also some websites that are good at ratings and reviews like:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-usage/gaming
https://tftcentral.co.uk/

Neither will have everything but there's some good info there.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 9, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you want something top tier, you have OLED, though you're looking at $800 - $900 for the 1440p models, so they're definitely not a casual purchase. For an ordinary 1440p 144hz+ IPS, there are at least a dozen of those worth buying these days. For something that's both cheap and likely to be pretty good, there's this Acer NItro model for $200. They've been switching up model numbers and doing some panel swaps though, so I don't really know what's what anymore and can't guarantee the quality, but these types of monitors have been pretty good from Acer in the past. The LG 27GP850 has been a very reliable purchase for the last few years, and at $280, it's still a pretty good purchase. That I can guarantee to be a solid monitor.

edit: note that pretty much anything marketed as being AMD Freesync Premium will be g-sync compatible too. Monitors that aren't compatible with g-sync are extremely rare these days.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 9, 2024

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Anybody else run into the issue of not being able to go over 60hz via HDMI 2.1 with the AW3225QF?

Maybe the factory cable is just junk?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yerok posted:

Anybody else run into the issue of not being able to go over 60hz via HDMI 2.1 with the AW3225QF?

Maybe the factory cable is just junk?

I assume you have an Nvidia card? If so, go to your control panel and go to the display resolution settings. Select a resolution (4k recommended ) under the "PC" part of the drop-down and you should be able to select either 120 or 240 Hz.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah there's some bug I'm getting even after DDUing that only lets me accomplish 4k/240hz with DP.

HDMI 2.1 caps at 60 which is real weird. I'll order a cable and see if it works.

The thing looks loving wild though, first 4K display for me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm having a... possibly unique problem and I have no idea where I should ask this. I asked in the TF2 thread and didn't get any answer so if there's a better place to ask please direct me to it. I'm asking here because while searching for an answer there is what seems a closely related problem that concerns multi-monitor setups so there is a train of logic, even if it's a derailed one.

Aight here goes: I play on a giant monitor (my grandmothers old flat screen tv). It's probably way too big for how close it is but I'm used to it by now so whatever. But it is too big to play games on fullscreen (just far too much information to take in from where I sit), so I play them in a window. This sounds like a downgrade but I'm close enough and the monitor's big enough that even shrunk down it's probably bigger than a number of peoples main monitors while not being a gameplay issue. This is not a problem in any way for 99% of games I've played. Except for Team Fortress 2, where mouse lock does not seem to work for poo poo. I'm constantly leaving the window when I flick and click. Constantly. Every single session generally and multiple times at that. This is not ideal.

Now I did check google and people with multi monitor setups have a similar problem with that, presumably with people flicking and shooting but it sending the mouse to the other screen (idk the particulars, I've never used more than one monitor), but not a one with playing in a window on a mono-monitor setup. There are recommendations for a third party mouse lock program which sounded promising, but all of the programs seem to be about locking the mouse to a certain area in multi monitor setups. Any help would be just great. As for why I don't play in fullscreen, again this is not a problem in a single other game I've played and generally beaten since getting this giant, heavy thing. The vast majority being FPS games and quite a few of those being very mechanically demanding themselves (Ultrakill, DE, Quakes, etc). Every sort of engine from the typical to the bizarre (the single exception being Cultic, I don't think you can play that in a window which is weird thinking about it) and not a hiccup on the mouse end. From Doom (93) to Doom Eternal, not a single issue. I'm at my absolute wits end here.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hey All,

I have one of these LG Ultragear 1440p 32" monitors (https://a.co/d/hZBbbhm) . I'm looking to pair another 32" 1440p monitor with it and replace an existing 1080p display.

I'm looking for either something cheaper to use as a secondary, or something better to take the place as the primary display.

The Ultragear I'm pretty happy with except of course I can't get HDR to work worth a drat (either blows out windows, or mode shifts strangely in games), which I think is maybe more of a windows issue?

So to reiterate, I'm looking either for a high refresh gaming monitor, or a decent IQ cheap one of the stated size.

Thanks!

edit: no curve!

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 10, 2024

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

Hey All,

I have one of these LG Ultragear 1440p 32" monitors (https://a.co/d/hZBbbhm) . I'm looking to pair another 32" 1440p monitor with it and replace an existing 1080p display.

I'm looking for either something cheaper to use as a secondary, or something better to take the place as the primary display.

The Ultragear I'm pretty happy with except of course I can't get HDR to work worth a drat (either blows out windows, or mode shifts strangely in games), which I think is maybe more of a windows issue?

So to reiterate, I'm looking either for a high refresh gaming monitor, or a decent IQ cheap one of the stated size.

Thanks!

edit: no curve!

It's because that monitor is edge lit, therefore you just can't do real HDR, there's a lot of edge lit "fake HDR" screens that have HDR listed as a feature but you would never use because of the reasons you're experiencing. AOC has the Q27G3XMN which is apparently a real HDR monitor with 336 local dimming zones that is supposedly good and under 300 if you can find one. it's VA not IPS but that ultragear is VA too so you shouldn't notice a different in panel tech.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 10, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's only 27". Interesting info about side lit monitors tho.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

That's only 27". Interesting info about side lit monitors tho.

Oh dang sorry you did say 32, I didn't even mentally register the size.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Single 32" 4K or dual 27" 1440P displays?

Decisions decisions as I'm typing here on my C2 42" and getting irritated at the aggressive ABL.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I've done both and will go single 32". Multi monitor is just a pain to get everything set up and looking good...but that's just me.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

I've done both and will go single 32". Multi monitor is just a pain to get everything set up and looking good...but that's just me.

I've been a single display guy at home since forever and use multi displays at work. The multitasking is excellent with multi displays, but my home setup is for light browsing and gaming. A second display would be for youtube/discord/guide references.

The easiest path would be to get a single 27" or 32" display and try that in lieu of the C2 and evaluate during the return window.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

You could try the 'gpu scaling' options in the Nvidia/AMD control panel with a lower resolution. Then run the game in fullscreen.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

So, two questions:

you should always have a good UPS with your computer hardware, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just an FYI: Best Buy now has the AW3225QF listed; currently sold out, but I've heard that some people like getting it from BB and getting the Geeksquad warranty to help with burn-in concerns/etc. (yes, even though Dell also covers it with their exchange).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...p?skuId=6576612