Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Philippe posted:

I abandoned IV in favor of the reboat (curse you, videogame ADHD), and the same is true there. There are a bunch of different districts in Santa Ileso, and they do manage to feel different.

It's a shame the reboot had such troubled development too, because yeah the map really did have more flavor to it and was fun to explore.
I respect Deep Silver honestly evaluted that they needed to adjust the humor somewhat for the times. "Ok it's young people dealing with how lovely the economy is so become a criminal empire to escape deadend jobs" was a fun pitch but it felt so dated and "how do you do fellow kids?" in execution.
When you combined the medicore gunplay and driving with the writing I put it down before even fully finishing off the Burners pastiche gang. Also it just feels weird to go with "Ok let's make the series more down to earth and the characters relatable. The boss is a veteran supersoldier who got fired from their high tech mercenary job for being too badass and getting the job done in a way their supervisor didn't like"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know it is supposed to be a serious moment but I definitely started laughing when playing the FF7R demo and Sephiroth steps on the tiny cowboy hat.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I haven't played the reboot yet but if it's satisfying to run around and shoot guys it might still be worth maybe ten or so of my earth dollars

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Meowywitch posted:

I haven't played the reboot yet but if it's satisfying to run around and shoot guys it might still be worth maybe ten or so of my earth dollars

I wanted to like it and I got it free with ps+. I'm also willing to overlook a ton of very big flaws if a core gameplay loop is fun, but what I played got stale pretty quick. Though if you view it as "I can get 2 hours of entertainment for less than the cost of a movie after I finish the tutorial" that might be a decent value proposition.

I also heard the dlc about cosplaying LARP gang wars was actually fun, but I didn’t feel like tossing the publisher cash after they fired all the devs because a finance deal fell through.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Excited to order Xenoblade 2 so I can finally play the Gacha Girlfriend game people have argued over for seven years.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Coolness Averted posted:

The boss is a veteran supersoldier who got fired from their high tech mercenary job for being too badass and getting the job done in a way their supervisor didn't like"

Very generous to call someone who got fired on their first day for being incapable of following basic orders a veteran.
Honestly the reboot is my second favourite SR after 2, because it still has the level of bullshit of a 80s-90s action movie but with updated reference points rather than just redoing the same exact things as the old games.

Unrelated to Saints Row, I'm getting real bored of game escalating threats too high. Sure it's partially my fault for playing Spider-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy after each other, but on the other hand, super hero games have tons of different villains and should have an easer time just having them do different things, instead of teaming up to reduce the city to rubble for the thousandth time. Guardians of the Galaxy is completely linear and still manages to have the weirdly paced side trip while the world is ending.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Saints Row reboot feels like there’s a layer of cardboard between me and a very good game. There’s a lot to like about it but there’s a very hard to describe layer that stops me from fully enjoying it.

E: it’s experientially like eating a really good candy with half the wrapper stuck to it, I think that’s more accurate.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah it rules that there are updated references. Like paying rent, or having useless college degrees, or medical insurance

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hel posted:

Very generous to call someone who got fired on their first day for being incapable of following basic orders a veteran.
Honestly the reboot is my second favourite SR after 2, because it still has the level of bullshit of a 80s-90s action movie but with updated reference points rather than just redoing the same exact things as the old games.

Right, you get fired on day 1 of the merc company, but there's a throwaway line about your character being a vet -to explain their combat prowess and why fighting is the only thing they're good at, iirc. It's just a single line in the tutorial/pre gang formation part of the story. I don't blame you for missing it -that's how most of the characterization goes, and you can also miss them if you don't do missions in specific order or trigger the next phase or do something that triggers a different bark in mid mission.

Like I said, I respect what they tried to do with the reference points, but I don't think they pulled it off. I blame mismanagement and the folks at the top forcing the people making the game to scrap the story multiple times and start from scratch fairly late in development, until they were forced to kinda just cobble together what they had to ship in time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

muscles like this! posted:

I know it is supposed to be a serious moment but I definitely started laughing when playing the FF7R demo and Sephiroth steps on the tiny cowboy hat.

One thing that got me is that a little before that, Sephi is studying a book and says a line about what's he's learned. Then it's implied he's there for weeks and when Cloud comes back he says "Cloud, I just read this:" and says literally the same thing he did before the little time skip. It comes across like he got stuck on a page and literally lost his mind re-reading the same sentence over and over.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Skatebird, which is very cute and charming, but the controls are wonky enough that some of the missions can get very frustrating.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So Skull & Bones mostly plays like the ship combat from Black Flag with one big exception. Boarding ships is just a perfunctory option instead of actually doing it and having hand to hand combat with the enemy crew. You basically just damage a ship part way, then hit the "board" button which hooks you on to the enemy ship and you get some extra loot.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Saints Row reboot feels like there’s a layer of cardboard between me and a very good game. There’s a lot to like about it but there’s a very hard to describe layer that stops me from fully enjoying it.

E: it’s experientially like eating a really good candy with half the wrapper stuck to it, I think that’s more accurate.

The saints row reboot is like sex with a condom?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Meowywitch posted:

The saints row reboot
Hard pass

Meowywitch posted:

sex with a condom?
HARD PASS

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

So Skull & Bones mostly plays like the ship combat from Black Flag with one big exception. Boarding ships is just a perfunctory option instead of actually doing it and having hand to hand combat with the enemy crew. You basically just damage a ship part way, then hit the "board" button which hooks you on to the enemy ship and you get some extra loot.

Sweet, who wants to swing on ropes and land on an enemy ship and get into swashbuckling action. Get that crap out of my pirate game.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Feb 11, 2024

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I want insult sword fighting

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm bummed out about Return to Monkey Island though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What I'm hearing is that I should just reinstall Sid Meier's Pirates.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
That’s always my go to, but I haaate sailing Eastwards, it’s so slow.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Saints Row reboot

It was so loving bad I uninstalled after 15 mins, like ps1 bad combat in the first shootout. It was free from epic but should have asked for a refund for wasting my time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm sure I've complained about this before, but the inability to skip time in Ghost Recon Breakpoint really drags everything down. I'm a class that loves nighttime sneaking, but if it's not nighttime I can either fast travel to a bivouac, go inside, choose to deploy in the evening, and hope it's still night once I get back to the base I wanted to sneak into.

MGSV's phantom cigar was really an innovation and I don't know why Ubisoft didn't take notice. You can skip time by meditating in the Assassin's Creed RPGs, but there's very little need to do so because your sneaking options are so varied in those games (hide in a bush, crouch on a rooftop, hang from an awning, etc).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't want to wait for night-time. I want to activate my orbital superweapon and blot out the sun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Coolness Averted posted:

I wanted to like it and I got it free with ps+. I'm also willing to overlook a ton of very big flaws if a core gameplay loop is fun, but what I played got stale pretty quick. Though if you view it as "I can get 2 hours of entertainment for less than the cost of a movie after I finish the tutorial" that might be a decent value proposition.

I also heard the dlc about cosplaying LARP gang wars was actually fun, but I didn’t feel like tossing the publisher cash after they fired all the devs because a finance deal fell through.

I made it 30 min into the psplus version and bailed, it was just piercingly lame

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't want to wait for night-time. I want to activate my orbital superweapon and blot out the sun.

Settle down, Monty.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Philippe posted:

I'm an Assassin's Creed fan (for my sins)

your rear end rear end sins?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah. Stay your blade from the rear end of an innocent, etc.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
poo poo, no-one's that innocent

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I just hit the first brickwall fight in Yakuza LAD and what the gently caress. Everyone up until this fight has been pretty evenly balanced, although there are occasionally street battles that are weirdly tough. But I got to this fight with most of the team being mid 30's level wise, and you go up against a boss that is level 50. He mops the floor with my group. Ok, regroup and go grind the arena thing for a bit, everyone up to low 40's, head back in. Get to the 2nd stage of the fight, and they pull a team attack that kills Kasuga. For reasons, LAD has the Persona thing where if the main character falls in battle, its over. Restart the fight, doing better, and then the enemy gets 2 turns in a row, drops Kasuga again. Only solution? Go grind more.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

I just hit the first brickwall fight in Yakuza LAD and what the gently caress. Everyone up until this fight has been pretty evenly balanced, although there are occasionally street battles that are weirdly tough. But I got to this fight with most of the team being mid 30's level wise, and you go up against a boss that is level 50. He mops the floor with my group. Ok, regroup and go grind the arena thing for a bit, everyone up to low 40's, head back in. Get to the 2nd stage of the fight, and they pull a team attack that kills Kasuga. For reasons, LAD has the Persona thing where if the main character falls in battle, its over. Restart the fight, doing better, and then the enemy gets 2 turns in a row, drops Kasuga again. Only solution? Go grind more.

yeah that fight is a bit rough, a lot of people hit that wall. not much you can do about it other than grind a bit more. fwiw infinite wealth is MUCH better about having a smooth difficulty curve, even if it does still do the load-bearing protagonist thing

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

An Actual Princess posted:

yeah that fight is a bit rough, a lot of people hit that wall. not much you can do about it other than grind a bit more. fwiw infinite wealth is MUCH better about having a smooth difficulty curve, even if it does still do the load-bearing protagonist thing

I originally thought it would be one of those fights you are supposed to lose, but nope.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

CitizenKain posted:

I originally thought it would be one of those fights you are supposed to lose, but nope.

Haha yeah that was my takeaway. Oh, this is one of those fights. Game Over?!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

An Actual Princess posted:

Sub stories can go “lol gently caress you” without warning though, I had one that dropped me in a fight with Ichiban and a support guy vs so many level 42 guys in chapter 7, where I’m over leveled for the world and story. The setup of the fight means I cannot possibly win it, Ichiban gets got before I can take a single turn.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

oldpainless posted:

Hard pass

HARD PASS

more like oldprotectionless

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Couple more things for Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

This might be the longest amount of time I've had to play a Metroidvania style game before I get a loving double jump upgrade. Holy Hell, I think I'm over half way done (or maybe not because Right before getting it, you get four places to go to on your map and one of them is so far away, it basically doubles the width of the map..) I'm just so used to that being one of the standard upgrades in Metroidvanias that is often obtained in the first third of the game. Almost all of my little "gallery snaps" or whatever they're called, were of either places I could tell I needed a double jump to progress, or had those yellow rocks that need a different upgrade to break.

The other complaint is right after getting the double jump You have to use it to jump up a "sand" fall (i.e., water fall but with magic sand) by jumping between pieces of rubble that are caught in the sand. But...it's all random pieces, falling at relatively random speeds, generated at random times. It took me nearly ten minutes because the pieces that were spawning were all too far away from whatever piece I was on to keep going up. Even if a piece that spawned above me was falling faster than the piece I was on, it wasn't fast enough so actually result in me gaining any height when I finally jumped to it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The double jump might just be my #1 Videogamey Thing. And I don't mean enjoying it on a gameplay level. Stuff like carrying tons of weapons, enemies having glowing red weak spots, or eating random food off the ground in an alleyway are all just streamlined representations of real things but the double jump was just some dude going "ok so you know how you can jump, right? What if you could just like, jump again? Nono, not twice. I mean jump from your jump. In mid-air."

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Double jumping might make no sense whatsoever but it feels really good.

(Jumping in games even apart from that is generally wildly unrealistic to give better gameplay. Being able to jump absurdly high, air control, instant jumping with height determined by actions after you've left the ground)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

Double jumping might make no sense whatsoever but it feels really good.

(Jumping in games even apart from that is generally wildly unrealistic to give better gameplay. Being able to jump absurdly high, air control, instant jumping with height determined by actions after you've left the ground)

Classic Doom is pretty funny about this. When you're playing the game solo it looks great, but when you're in multiplayer or when you see another actor with the same properties as Doomguy moving, it looks absolutely absurd. You're like the goddamn Roadrunner, moving in a blink, turning on a dime!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DrBouvenstein posted:

Couple more things for Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

This might be the longest amount of time I've had to play a Metroidvania style game before I get a loving double jump upgrade.

Haven't played PoP but if I remember right, in Hollow Knight the double jump is one of the last upgrades you get, near the end of the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There are those sad games out there that sap all joy out of the double jump by building the levels entirely around it, requiring you to get maximum distance on every single leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

There are those sad games out there that sap all joy out of the double jump by building the levels entirely around it, requiring you to get maximum distance on every single leap.

Even sadder are the ones that have variable jump height for the basic jump and you need every single pixel of it to jump up simple platforms.