Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Taear posted:

It doesn't do that

It most certainly DOES do that. Watch the episode again.

Taear posted:

It doesn't do that, it's EXTREMELY clear it was Data lying on the floor (Lore gave data the tick)

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the very end of the episode. Picard asks "Data" if he's all right, and Data says "Yes sir. I'm fine." with a clear attempt that the contraction be very obvious. Then his face does the tick, which Picard tells him to get rid of.

They closed the episode with the intentional suggestion that Data and Lore were still mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Are you telling me London won't win the Series in two years?

Next year: Blue Jays build new stadium in London, Ontario to be closer to Detroit/Cleveland and rename themselves the Kings, trade for Shohei Ohtani who Canadians inexplicably call "Buck"; MLB collapses at end of decade due to invention of Parises Squares.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They are not implying it's still Lore, they're doing the thing from the DS9 episode with O'Brien and the coffee. The thing that the protagonist would 'never' do is, in fact, something that they do do sometimes, isn't it funny that the day was only saved because our heroes' closest friends don't know them as well as they think!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Accipiter posted:

It most certainly DOES do that. Watch the episode again.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the very end of the episode. Picard asks "Data" if he's all right, and Data says "Yes sir. I'm fine." with a clear attempt that the contraction be very obvious. Then his face does the tick, which Picard tells him to get rid of.

They closed the episode with the intentional suggestion that Data and Lore were still mixed up.

Wesley watches every second of what happens to Data and Lore and the part of him saying "I'm fine" is exactly what I meant (and what all commentators talking about the episode mean) when they're saying "He uses a contraction".
It's not meant to be Lore because that wouldn't make sense, it's legit a really stupid point of the episode.

Watch it back now, there's absolutely no way they could have swapped, no way it's ambiguous. Especially since Lore cured his own tick!

See the memory alpha bit

quote:

At the end of the episode, Data uses a contraction in his reply to Captain Picard asking Data if he is alright. Instead of saying "I am fine," Data replies, "I'm fine." This is even more noteworthy than "contraction slip-ups" in other episodes, since the use of contractions was the main method the crew used in this episode to determine whether they were talking to Data or Lore.
It's them being stupid, it's not them trying to be tricksy

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Don't forget that Data can't use contractions, but is perfectly able to use them when he puts on a cowboy accent.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Don't forget that Data can't use contractions, but is perfectly able to use them when he puts on a cowboy accent.

And that he uses them all the time in previous episodes (well not all the time but pretty commonly)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He can't use contractions but he can quote someone else who used them so he simply read every book in the ship's library and pulled "I'm fine" out of one of them

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Also rewatching the end of the episode the bit where Beverley runs out of the door with her arm on fire is SO poo poo and it makes me laugh
It's so obviously not her and it's really awkward

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

Also rewatching the end of the episode the bit where Beverley runs out of the door with her arm on fire is SO poo poo and it makes me laugh
It's so obviously not her and it's really awkward

Yeah that's really funny, the way it's cut makes it look like she's not even a bit surprised and is running immediately. "yup, should've expected that one."

My favorite example of the crew being criminally negligent around Data is in Descent part II, when they see Data come into the room to say "I disabled Lore" and nobody eveb suggests making sure it's really Data.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Well, I mean: it's a wonder that Geordi is willing to work around Data after that. All it takes is for a gadget using a horseshittium field to disable his ethics chip for Data to do some really sociopathic stuff. Data can also have a bit flip inside in positronic brain and use his abilities to completely lock down the Enterprise and take it on a joyride (Brothers). He's a security risk, and I don't necessarily feel like they address that particularly well (if at all) in TNG and the movies.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I always just assumed they meant Data can't use contractions properly. Inconsistent usage, awkward and stilted manner, etc.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Well, I mean: it's a wonder that Geordi is willing to work around Data after that. All it takes is for a gadget using a horseshittium field to disable his ethics chip for Data to do some really sociopathic stuff. Data can also have a bit flip inside in positronic brain and use his abilities to completely lock down the Enterprise and take it on a joyride (Brothers). He's a security risk.

I mean Geordi was brainwashed to be an assassin lol. It would be a bit hypocritical of him to hold that against Data.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Boxturret posted:

I mean Geordi was brainwashed to be an assassin lol. It would be a bit hypocritical of him to hold that against Data.

True.

I'm thinking of how the Vulcan Mind Meld was used in TOS, and they actually did touch upon the ways that it could be abused a few times (notably, the rape-y Valeris interrogation scene from VI). Data never really had that reckoning much; even in Measure of a Man.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Well, I mean: it's a wonder that Geordi is willing to work around Data after that. All it takes is for a gadget using a horseshittium field to disable his ethics chip for Data to do some really sociopathic stuff. Data can also have a bit flip inside in positronic brain and use his abilities to completely lock down the Enterprise and take it on a joyride (Brothers). He's a security risk, and I don't necessarily feel like they address that particularly well (if at all) in TNG and the movies.

Calm down, Pulaski

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

bennyfactor posted:

Next year: Blue Jays build new stadium in London, Ontario to be closer to Detroit/Cleveland and rename themselves the Kings, trade for Shohei Ohtani who Canadians inexplicably call "Buck"; MLB collapses at end of decade due to invention of Parises Squares.

Parises Squares is just Pickleball 2, calling it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

True.

I'm thinking of how the Vulcan Mind Meld was used in TOS, and they actually did touch upon the ways that it could be abused a few times (notably, the rape-y Valeris interrogation scene from VI). Data never really had that reckoning much; even in Measure of a Man.

There's also that Voyager episode about the planet of telepaths and the black market trade in negative emotions where Tuvok shows a guy real violence through a mind-meld.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, I mean: it's a wonder that Geordi is willing to work around Data after that. All it takes is for a gadget using a horseshittium field to disable his ethics chip for Data to do some really sociopathic stuff.

I remember it was a letdown in equinox when the evil crew disabled the Doctor's ethical subroutines and he immediately started helping them be evil: I was hoping he'd be 'oh, okay' and put a scalpel through the brain of the nearest Equinox crewmember because the Voyager crew were still his friends.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Disabling ethical subroutines is the AI equivalent of putting on a Helm of Opposite Alignment, and everyone knows that once your alignment is inverted, your first priority becomes turning against your friends because :moreevil:.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Lal is also a part of the new Data+ gestalt, and it was a point that she could use contractions.

They probably could have insisted Data integrate the 3 laws into his programming but then he wouldn't be able to solo the entire crew of a Klingon battle cruiser barehanded.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

MikeJF posted:

I remember it was a letdown in equinox when the evil crew disabled the Doctor's ethical subroutines and he immediately started helping them be evil: I was hoping he'd be 'oh, okay' and put a scalpel through the brain of the nearest Equinox crewmember because the Voyager crew were still his friends.

Not if the Doctor has never forgiven the Voyager crew after they treated him like poo poo for so long, and has only been held back by the ethical subroutines?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

MikeJF posted:

Did they disable the Voyager EMH subroutines? I just remember them doing it to their own EMH.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I've seen this too, but as a hindsight thing. Like, if they'd all known sooner that they wouldn't be able to come to an agreement that would have been the perfect episode to be Farrell's last. But everyone was proceeding with the assumption that they'd work it out. And then they didn't, but it was too late.

Fortunately this information is readily available:

quote:

After reading the script for this episode, Terry Farrell requested that Dax be killed now if she was going to be killed at all. At the time of production, she had already decided to leave the show following the end of season 6, as contract talks had failed to bring about a new contract for season 7, and she felt that having Worf complete the mission and leave Dax to die would create a very interesting character arc for him in the final season. According to Farrell, "I knew I wasn't coming back for the seventh season, so it was really written well, and it was the controversy of whether Worf should come back and save my life and not complete the mission, or complete the mission. But he decides to save his wife's life, and I remember thinking, 'Ah, this would be the perfect one to just end it'. I had asked not to be killed, but if you need to kill me because that's what you need to do, that would have been the perfect episode to do it because it would have been so much more for Worf's character to play in the long run, because he would have let his wife die, but completed the mission. Oh my God, what an awful thing to live with." (Crew Dossier: Jadzia Dax, DS9 Season 2 DVD special features)

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Change_of_Heart_(episode)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Soul Dentist posted:

I always just assumed they meant Data can't use contractions properly. Inconsistent usage, awkward and stilted manner, etc.
Data uses a Nomad accent like Zefram Cochrane, in admiration of Cochrane's upstanding life goals

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Did they disable the Voyager EMH subroutines? I just remember them doing it to their own EMH.

They swapped EMHs secretly at the end of part 1, and then corrupted our Doctor to do their evil bidding while their old EMH was being evil on Voyager.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

If I recall correctly, it was both. Voyager’s EMH had his subroutines disabled after being kidnapped by the Equinox, while the Equinox’s EMH, who had swapped with the Doctor, had already had his disabled.

e:f,b

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Nessus posted:

Data uses a Nomad accent like Zefram Cochrane, in admiration of Cochrane's upstanding life goals

I think that American shows often ignore accents and it's a shame to me that they don't bother with say having every Betazed speak like Troi.
But it's strange that Data is super american but doesn't say "dah-da" instead of "day-ta"

I assume he was told to and everything and I'm glad he was, just interesting they took the pronunciation that way

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taear posted:

I think that American shows often ignore accents and it's a shame to me that they don't bother with say having every Betazed speak like Troi.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were planning that but then Gene decided to make Majel her mother and they gave up on the idea.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

blastron posted:

If I recall correctly, it was both. Voyager’s EMH had his subroutines disabled after being kidnapped by the Equinox, while the Equinox’s EMH, who had swapped with the Doctor, had already had his disabled.

e:f,b
It's really dumb because the actual Doctor just starts immediately doing the bidding of the Equinox people, whereas back on Voyager the fake Doctor is perfectly fine on his own helping to free the imprisoned Equinox crew and sabotage Voyager

So shouldn't he still have some degree of free will even if his ethical subroutines are off?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Taear posted:

But it's strange that Data is super american but doesn't say "dah-da" instead of "day-ta"

I assume he was told to and everything and I'm glad he was, just interesting they took the pronunciation that way

Well one is his name and the other is not.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think you could make a plausible argument that the Doctor’s personality is constructed from complicated interactions between multiple sets of subroutines, and removing any parts of it would have wild and unpredictable effects. Perhaps concepts like “friendship” and “loyalty” have a significant ethical component to them—maybe something like “society is healthiest when people help those they care about”—and simply fall apart when that component is removed.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Taear posted:

it's a shame to me that they don't bother with say having every Betazed speak like Troi.

I'm fine with not doing that, I hate it in sci fi when they take one individual trait or example and make that A Thing for the entire species. You see an extra wearing some weird pants in the back of a scene, and then the next time a writer wants to use them they're the Weird Pants Species with an entire culture built around Weird Pants. The Star Wars EU was/is probably the most notorious about it, but that's how you get things like the Standard Changeling Goo Bucket in Picard.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

They have a habit of doing that. It also happened in the S2 episode Schizoid Man. "Hmm... Data is suddenly exhibiting jealousy over the blonde lab partner and being smarmy with the captain? Eh, I'm sure it's nothing".

That's not at all how they responded. They were concerned about the shift in behavior, wondered if it was related to him spending a bunch of time with someone who knew his creator and then died, and then they ran extensive diagnostics after he insulted Picard and Riker on the bridge.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Fortunately this information is readily available:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Change_of_Heart_(episode)

Man can you imagine how insane it would be to kill off a main character in a random midseason episode. People would’ve been stunned, it would be considered one of the great episodes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's not at all how they responded. They were concerned about the shift in behavior, wondered if it was related to him spending a bunch of time with someone who knew his creator and then died, and then they ran extensive diagnostics after he insulted Picard and Riker on the bridge.

But mocking the episode is so much easier if you don't actually remember what happens...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Taear posted:

American here. Even before TNG, it was unusual (though not unheard of) to hear anyone pronounce the word "dah-ta". "Day-ta" was far more common. (I was just a kid but I took classes in BASIC programming, so "data" was a word I ran into a lot.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The way the title is presented, “Datalore”, always indicated it was a turn of phrase or pun or something. I have no idea why they titled it that way

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I'm trying to imagine someone saying the phrase "dah-da base" and it just sounds so wrong.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zoux posted:

The way the title is presented, “Datalore”, always indicated it was a turn of phrase or pun or something. I have no idea why they titled it that way

The episode covers the lore (i.e. the backstory) of Data. Compare to the word "folklore".

As for the names themselves, lore and data are both words for a set of information, but with rather different connotations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

zoux posted:

IDK, it's expanding the backstory ("lore") for Data or something?

Or it's an extremely long-burn setup for when Disney acquires Paramount and we get the new series The Datalorian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

The episode covers the lore (i.e. the backstory) of Data. Compare to the word "folklore".

So it is a pun