Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sab669 posted:

Hell yeah. I considered one of those when I was also shopping for an E91 / F31. Seems like you can get real good deals on 'em.

My biggest concern -- as you've already experienced -- would be parts availability because I guess it's basically just a rebadged Opel

It shouldn't be that bad. Engine is from many other GM cars and it's an Epsilon platform car which is shared with many other vehicles as well (Malibu, XT4 and others) so the suspension design and parts may be similar if not the same. Interior and trim bits, maybe but it's new enough that it shouldn't be a problem for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Suburban Dad posted:

It shouldn't be that bad. Engine is from many other GM cars and it's an Epsilon platform car which is shared with many other vehicles as well (Malibu, XT4 and others) so the suspension design and parts may be similar if not the same. Interior and trim bits, maybe but it's new enough that it shouldn't be a problem for years.

The sun roof is the big thing. If it breaks again they'll probably need to order from Europe. However, I got the 5 year electronics warranty, so that's a them problem.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Just call them. What are you waiting for if it's something you love and want to restore?

I'm trying to keep myself to one project. I'm about $10k from finishing this one (hopefully this year), and then I'll consider another restoration/project. It's just that those 60s wagons are so rare to see.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Welp, I've officially joined the minivan class. Wife totaled her Mazda 3 hatch on the way in to work yesterday. She was OK, but I've got achilles surgery coming up in a few days and won't be able to drive for 10 weeks, so we needed to get her a vehicle sorted asap because she's afraid to drive my GTI. Enter this surprisingly clean 2008 Honda Odyssey with 220k miles:

I'd been thinking about picking up a cheap-ish minivan as a cargo hauler for quite some time now, so if this doesn't pan out as her new daily driver I can still use it as that. I was honestly pretty surprised on the test drive, sure didn't feel like a 15-year-old 220k mile vehicle. Will definitely be a huge QOL improvement getting taxied around in this versus a hatchback for a few months.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Enos Cabell posted:

Welp, I've officially joined the minivan class. Wife totaled her Mazda 3 hatch on the way in to work yesterday. She was OK, but I've got achilles surgery coming up in a few days and won't be able to drive for 10 weeks, so we needed to get her a vehicle sorted asap because she's afraid to drive my GTI. Enter this surprisingly clean 2008 Honda Odyssey with 220k miles:

I'd been thinking about picking up a cheap-ish minivan as a cargo hauler for quite some time now, so if this doesn't pan out as her new daily driver I can still use it as that. I was honestly pretty surprised on the test drive, sure didn't feel like a 15-year-old 220k mile vehicle. Will definitely be a huge QOL improvement getting taxied around in this versus a hatchback for a few months.

Minivans are absolutely fantastic vehicles to own and for utility.

They've gone out of fashion in such a way that I now avoid them in traffic as much as I can as they are so often operated by the worst drivers I've seen.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Some very nice-for-the-season days lately. My local weatherhog, Punxsutawney Phil, says winter is ending early this year.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Some very nice-for-the-season days lately. My local weatherhog, Punxsutawney Phil, says winter is ending early this year.

You mean Porschetawney Phill?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

TenaciousTomato posted:

You mean Porschetawney Phill?

Aw poo poo I spelt it wrong!

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Aw poo poo I spelt it wrong!

Me too, I used two L's. Got bless our LSDs

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Well I did a thing, at that thing got delivered an hour ago:

2023 Guilia Quadrifoglio in Verde Montreal, with 3500 miles on it

It's filthy from transport and needs a wash, and I still have to get it registered and pay taxes, etc so I've only driven it into my garage and that's it. But my god, that startup exhaust note, I've started it like a dozen times to hear it and I giggle every time because it sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcbEEtMs66M

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I approve

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

:hellyeah:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

:discourse:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Cromulent color

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Understatement

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Green gang.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Here we see the Alfa in its natural habitat

Sorry, it's very cool!

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Super nice. Congrats. Enjoy that Ferrari-derived motor :getin:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Correct car, correct color.

I can't imagine the torture of having the keys and waiting on insurance.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Here we see the Alfa in its natural habitat

Sorry, it's very cool!

We were all thinking it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

It's filthy from transport and needs a wash, and I still have to get it registered and pay taxes, etc so I've only driven it into my garage and that's it. But my god, that startup exhaust note, I've started it like a dozen times to hear it and I giggle every time because it sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcbEEtMs66M

Our cars are twins!

Except mine has like 9k miles on it.

10k service is next week!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Powershift posted:

Correct car, correct color.

I can't imagine the torture of having the keys and waiting on insurance.

Got it registered yesterday!

Washed it today and took it for a spin. I’m not gonna lie, this much power is kind of terrifying, like a 4 door sedan should not be able to do what this does kind of terrifying.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Got it registered yesterday!

Washed it today and took it for a spin. I’m not gonna lie, this much power is kind of terrifying, like a 4 door sedan should not be able to do what this does kind of terrifying.

You get used to it. Does it have the Corsas on it?

They’re not as bad in the rain as people say but keep it in A mode when it’s wet out.

Even in D the car will save you from yourself unless your an absolute lunatic.

In Race mode know what your doing. I broke the rear lose in Race mode once was it was not fun. I was not in traffic and recovered, but ESC is your friend.

More then once I’ve casually gunned it to pass somebody on the highway and found myself going 100+.

It will be incredibly planted at speed, you won’t realize how fast your going. There is a setable speed alert in the gauge cluster menu. I have mine set to beep at me when I hit 110.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

davecrazy posted:

You get used to it. Does it have the Corsas on it?

They’re not as bad in the rain as people say but keep it in A mode when it’s wet out.

Even in D the car will save you from yourself unless your an absolute lunatic.

In Race mode know what your doing. I broke the rear lose in Race mode once was it was not fun. I was not in traffic and recovered, but ESC is your friend.

More then once I’ve casually gunned it to pass somebody on the highway and found myself going 100+.

It will be incredibly planted at speed, you won’t realize how fast your going. There is a setable speed alert in the gauge cluster menu. I have mine set to beep at me when I hit 110.

Yeah, the car it’s replacing is a Giulia Q4 so I’m very familiar with the car in general. But even with the tune I had on the Q4, it’s still near 200hp more, which is not an insignificant jump.

I haven’t pushed the Corsas it came with because it’s in the 30’s here, but they’re probably comparable to the Michelin PS4s I have on the Q4. Have to get the winters off the Q4 and see if they’ll fit, probably need some spacers to clear the brakes.

I mean, when those turbos kick in it’s like seeing the face of god.

I have not hosed around in R yet, and will probably reserve that for when I can take some track lessons at Road America when the weather warms up.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Great color and great car.

I really dislike the Pirellis on my car. I think this year I'll be replacing them with something else. They have poor traction below 50 F and even above that they aren't exactly confidence inspiring. Below 45 any amount of throttle makes the car squirm.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Great color and great car.

I really dislike the Pirellis on my car. I think this year I'll be replacing them with something else. They have poor traction below 50 F and even above that they aren't exactly confidence inspiring. Below 45 any amount of throttle makes the car squirm.

For summer tires, I can strongly recommend Michelin PS4s from experience, even in the rain they are very good. I can't speak too much about how they are at low temps because as soon as the avg temp hits 45 I've got them swapped out, but they perform well at least up to there.

I absolutely love my Pirelli Sottozero winters though.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
New (to me) car. 2020 A35 AMG hatch, so far love the thing, zippy around town, decent on gas on the highway and makes very stupid pop pop pop sounds when you put it into antisocial mode.

Oh and very fun in the snow.

And has a 240,000km, 15 year warranty on the head because it failing is apparently a 'when' not 'if'.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

That's the stuff.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
^^Nice car! The snow adds to the picture, too. Curious what tyres it runs and if you switch for winter?

Speaking of AMGs in car parks...

I finally replaced my S6 Avant, after almost 12 years of ownership. It's been a great family car for that time (when it hasn't been playing up), but time was definitely due for a change, not least after it got smashed into in another car park a couple of years ago; it wasn't the same afterwards and I lost confidence in it. I've been lusting after the E63S for about 5 years, saw a good one on Autotrader and pulled the trigger. It was a bit newer and thus costly than I wanted, but was the right colour etc, they don't come up too often, and it was just time. The newness meant the engine still wasn't broken in, so I had to be very patient and not kick down for 600 miles after delivery. I reached 1000 miles a week ago and... putting one's foot down in sport+ is mildly terrifying. The S6 was fast, but this is another level. It's also much sharper in terms of handling than the Audi, though the flipside is the ride is less cosseting, even in comfort. Not enough to be a problem, though. The tech upgrades over the 12 y/o Audi are nice (though the guy who originally specced the Audi put basically everything on it and I will slightly miss soft close doors and heated wheel), and the boot is even bigger on the Merc, which is useful with two kids (one of whom is a harpist), dog etc. Basically I love this crazy loving thing, even if it's basically too powerful to enjoy properly on the road without being very careful with regard to, like, the law and stuff.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

^^Nice car! The snow adds to the picture, too. Curious what tyres it runs and if you switch for winter?

Thank you, and I run Kumho Wintercraft WP72's in the winter, got a set a few years back on the B9 A4 this replaced and honestly they're 80% of a blizzak in the snow for half the price, plus they're one of the quietest winters I've ever used on dry asphalt. Mercedes quoted me $2,400 CAD for Continental winters for this and the Kumho's were $990. Running winter tires here is borderline required, to the point where it will reduce your insurance premium and in some provinces is a legal requirement from November to April.

That E63S is very very nice. We get a little luckier in Canada for hatches and wagons than our freedom loving cousins to the south thankfully, haven't seen an E63s wagon in the wild yet though. I'm finding the transition from the Audi ecosystem to the new MBUX pretty easy honestly, there were a few days of moving around favourites and ambient lighting settings so it's still fun but less like a coke-fuelled rave orgy at night. My girlfriend is pretty pissed about no DVD's for roadtrips though, my A4 was a 2017 in the weird point in time where it had a DVD player and you could pretty easily bypass video in motion locks with a few coding changes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

... I will slightly miss soft close doors and heated wheel ...

Those things don't have a heated steering wheel? Wild.

Either way, 10/10 would still buy if I could afford. Goddamn they look so good.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

The performance these things are capable of for how big they are absolutely scrambled my brain the first time I got a ride in one. We had 5 people in the car and it was performing on some entirely other level. :psypop: Enjoy it!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

DoesNotCompute posted:

Thank you, and I run Kumho Wintercraft WP72's in the winter, got a set a few years back on the B9 A4 this replaced and honestly they're 80% of a blizzak in the snow for half the price, plus they're one of the quietest winters I've ever used on dry asphalt. Mercedes quoted me $2,400 CAD for Continental winters for this and the Kumho's were $990. Running winter tires here is borderline required, to the point where it will reduce your insurance premium and in some provinces is a legal requirement from November to April.

Ah cool. Yeah it's more borderline in the UK. Only done some cursory research so far, but I read somewhere that the Pilot Sport 4S isn't great under around 7 degrees C, which it does get below here in winter, but I've also read that it isn't dangerously bad or anything and maybe still better than winter tyres in some situations. Not been in a winter/summer switch situation before (though maybe should have been with my RX8, which had summer tyres and was RWD) and not au fait with the logistics and costs, so still working that one out.

quote:

That E63S is very very nice. We get a little luckier in Canada for hatches and wagons than our freedom loving cousins to the south thankfully, haven't seen an E63s wagon in the wild yet though. I'm finding the transition from the Audi ecosystem to the new MBUX pretty easy honestly, there were a few days of moving around favourites and ambient lighting settings so it's still fun but less like a coke-fuelled rave orgy at night. My girlfriend is pretty pissed about no DVD's for roadtrips though, my A4 was a 2017 in the weird point in time where it had a DVD player and you could pretty easily bypass video in motion locks with a few coding changes.

Yeah it's fairly intuitive. My Audi was weird as the rotational selector was clearly designed for a left hand drive car (it was anti clockwise to scroll down) and they didn't bother switching it for RHD cars, but I got used to it. The haptic feedback touch switches on the Merc steering wheel take some getting used to and are not bad, and in the end there are like four different ways to interact: steering wheel controls, centre console touch pad, touch screen on the screens themselves, and voice control. There's a mind boggling array of options, settings, display layouts etc but I found it fun getting to grips with it and it's not too hard to get an overall handle on. Apparently it's a big improvement over the old Merc Command system.

One thing I love is having my entire music collection available. I was a bit resistant to giving up my CD changer, but I realise now I was just being resistant to change; I have all my music ripped into FLACs and was able to fit them onto a half gig USB stick, which the Merc plays like a charm, including sorting by artist etc, so now I can choose literally anything I own, and have hundreds of albums available in an uncompressed format. The Burmester sounds pretty sweet.

Sab669 posted:

Those things don't have a heated steering wheel? Wild.

Either way, 10/10 would still buy if I could afford. Goddamn they look so good.

Apparently not an option in the UK but was in other markets. Maybe cause of our mild weather, but I definitely appreciated it on cold mornings on the Audi. Having said that, the alcantara on the Merc's wheel mitigates this somewhat.

GramCracker posted:

The performance these things are capable of for how big they are absolutely scrambled my brain the first time I got a ride in one. We had 5 people in the car and it was performing on some entirely other level. :psypop: Enjoy it!

Thanks - I'm enjoying it very much so far. The performance is definitely brain scrambling!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

One thing I love is having my entire music collection available. I was a bit resistant to giving up my CD changer, but I realise now I was just being resistant to change; I have all my music ripped into FLACs and was able to fit them onto a half gig USB stick, which the Merc plays like a charm, including sorting by artist etc, so now I can choose literally anything I own, and have hundreds of albums available in an uncompressed format. The Burmester sounds pretty sweet.

I'm literally sitting at my desk doing one CD at a time FLAC rips for this exact purpose, time consuming but worthwhile. The Burmester in the A35 isn't at the level of the bigger cars but it absolutely annihilates what my A4 had, I probably waste more money on my home hifi stuff than I do on cars so it was always a pain point in that car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Speaking of AMGs in car parks...

This is so good. My next door neighbor has not had the time or interest to sell his car so I have offered to help him out. I took a day cleaning the exterior and photographed it. It needs a deep clean on the interior which I have not done yet. Hopefully this week I will get it done. Having the keys for the day really gave me an appreciation for that 5.5L V8. This is the "S" version which bumps up the output to ~570HP/590tq.

The way this gets away from a dig with the AWD is a lot of fun.

(he replaced it with a Tesla Model S)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

First time this thing has been on the road in probably 16 years.

Status: it loving rips. It all feels amazing. I barely fit but the seat has room to be moved back a few inches if i can find a way to modify it. It feels absolutely tiny. You can't see the hood or trunk. When 'berta trucks tailgate you it feels like they're parked in the back seat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I started this for the first time since October today. Just driving it out of the garage so I can drive another car in for welding some rust. But it sure feels nice to drive it again even if just a little. And it gets to spend a little time in it's natural habitat.

Yeah one chrome strip is gone, it broke into pieces when I tried to remove it. I got a replacement already.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
It's been 10 years since I put the rebuild thread on here, and I repainted it recently so here's my RIDE!

She's loving classy as gently caress!

This is my actual car, it has some stupid electronic poo poo that eats rear brake pads, but it's a pretty colour and the satnav works ok. PS gently caress you FORD, the service schedule doesn't come up, who the gently caress makes a car that tells you the oil is old but not that a service is due. gently caress you, FORD, you oval office, gently caress you. Also the B+O stereo system is rattly trash, gently caress you B+O. Nice colour though.

Also, loving stabilisation. gently caress YOU FORD. gently caress sakes. Stupid poo poo had to test it on roundabouts, full throttle, in second at 3AM. Hilarious poo poo, drowns out he loving stereo. Why do I have to loving rag it on roundabouts, because it doesn't loving turn right, stupid poo poo. Wanted to know what the gently caress was going on after driving it for a year. gently caress you FORD!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

What the hell just happened? I feel like I missed a few chapters of backstory or I’ve been day-drinking again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I dunno how you managed to get anywhere with a car that is only able to turn left!