Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe most of the cast has done some non Broadway work prior to this (just some more than others)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Funky Valentine posted:

Vaggie's VA voiced the main character in an extremely popular Disney movie not to long ago.

Encanto. She was the starring VA.

Larryb posted:

I believe most of the cast has done some non Broadway work prior to this (just some more than others)

Lute has a pretty decent pedigree: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Vosk#Theatre_credits

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 10, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Encanto. She was the starring VA.

Lute has a pretty decent pedigree: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Vosk#Theatre_credits

She did a drat good job then considering Lute was apparently her first VA role

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Lute is a great character and has so much potential to be a complex character.

You get the impression she was a fan of Adam due to his status as first man but eventually came to really care about him. Probably the only one to really love him even. She definitely wanted his approval.

I liked the smile he gave her before he passed, it kind of said a lot for how he thought of her.

Little moments like that adds without it being said out loud.

Adam turning out to be such a mess is kind of easy to see once you comprehend how he was the first. Heaven likely let him behave as he was because they thought, well he's the first man and he behaves when told to do so. Losing both Lilith and then Eve right at the start probably didn't help him any. He really needed a positive influence and perhaps Eve was that for a time but forever is a long time and we know they didn't stay together. Humanity being a poo poo show, Heaven being half helpeful and half letting him be didn't do any favors.

Like Lucifer he needed something more to help him. Unlikely Lucifer he never really got it so he became a toxic rear end in a top hat.

It's the theme of the show really. Love and togetherness can save you. Being alone seldom ends well without the connections that matter most.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I love this show and I generally deplore musicals.

All the characters are fantastic but Alucard Alastor is :discourse:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Lute is a great character and has so much potential to be a complex character.

You get the impression she was a fan of Adam due to his status as first man but eventually came to really care about him. Probably the only one to really love him even. She definitely wanted his approval.

I liked the smile he gave her before he passed, it kind of said a lot for how he thought of her.

Little moments like that adds without it being said out loud.

Adam turning out to be such a mess is kind of easy to see once you comprehend how he was the first. Heaven likely let him behave as he was because they thought, well he's the first man and he behaves when told to do so. Losing both Lilith and then Eve right at the start probably didn't help him any. He really needed a positive influence and perhaps Eve was that for a time but forever is a long time and we know they didn't stay together. Humanity being a poo poo show, Heaven being half helpeful and half letting him be didn't do any favors.

Like Lucifer he needed something more to help him. Unlikely Lucifer he never really got it so he became a toxic rear end in a top hat.

It's the theme of the show really. Love and togetherness can save you. Being alone seldom ends well without the connections that matter most.

I think that's what makes it all the more hilarious to me when the conservative reviews start calling it satanic propaganda. Anyone with even a hair of media literacy can pick up the actual message of the show. Fucksakes there's an entire musical number emphasizing fighting for your loved ones over vengeance. Vaggie, Charlie and even Lucifer when prodded choose mercy over ending their enemies and Charlie bent over backwards to try and negotiate peace. Like the end game is acting like a shitheel will leave you miserable and alone.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 10, 2024

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ultra-conservative Krishchins might parrot the whole "love the sinner, hate the sin" line, but what they truly relish is the idea of "Hell is Forever" and being able to laugh at the eternal torment of the Damned/un-Saved while enjoying their "reward." They're all in, and the idea of someone finding a loophole into Heaven offends them as much as a poor person owning a fridge or occasionally enjoying a steak on the taxpayer's dime.

Adam and Lute are their direct mirrors in the show. And Sera is a landlady/super of an exclusive gated community who's afraid of losing property value.

Also, the satanic bullshit is in the Krishchin news circles because of that statue in Iowa.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 10, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Meanwhile finding a loophole into Heaven is extremely jewish.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

MonsieurChoc posted:

Meanwhile finding a loophole into Heaven is extremely jewish.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Getting into Heaven should be rather easy to do.

All you do is pay indulgences or repent on your death bed.

Boom, done.

Hey, it's what people have done for how long now?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the Satanic Panic types actively hate and fear critical thinking and media literacy because the point is naked hostility to anything that's remotely unfamiliar to them, or young people having fun at all, or anything even slightly criticising the unspoken social order where they are eternal superiors and everyone else is their damned inferior. Even big companies don't listen to them at all anymore because they're not a meaningful market and they tend to give free advertising if anything.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the Satanic Panic types actively hate and fear critical thinking and media literacy because the point is naked hostility to anything that's remotely unfamiliar to them, or young people having fun at all, or anything even slightly criticising the unspoken social order where they are eternal superiors and everyone else is their damned inferior. Even big companies don't listen to them at all anymore because they're not a meaningful market and they tend to give free advertising if anything.

The fact the prosperity gospel even exists I think just says it all.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

so I am the same age as viv so i get it but i cant help but find it distracting how many of her character designs have scene hair

we are supposed to be past this, please stop haunting me with visages of my own past shaking black and green checkerboard chains

e: show is very good though. And the musical segments are really good. I hope they make a live musical. I would go see it on broadway 100%

also apparently my husband left mean comments on her deviantart when he was a teenager and got blocked, his reason being, and I quote, "she seemed really smug and self important"

dont i know how to pick em folks

i mean, i also independently bullied people on deviantart as a teenager and actually got banned from the site entirely because of it but we can ignore that

we got better :angel:

e2: i should hope this is obvious but i fear reprisal for sharing the above story so I'd like to clarify that, as an adult with a functioning brain I am not a fan of this kind of behavior and am not sharing it as some kind of point of pride, but rather that I think it's an interesting anecdote that he, on multiple occasions, interacted with a now famous and successful animator/showrunner (who made two shows we both really, really like) and ended up getting blocked for being a rude little poo poo.

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 10, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Telltolin posted:

so I am the same age as viv so i get it but i cant help but find it distracting how many of her character designs have scene hair

we are supposed to be past this, please stop haunting me with visages of my own past shaking black and green checkerboard chains

e: show is very good though. And the musical segments are really good. I hope they make a live musical. I would go see it on broadway 100%

also apparently my husband left mean comments on her deviantart when he was a teenager and got blocked, his reason being, and I quote, "she seemed really smug and self important"

dont i know how to pick em folks

i mean, i also independently bullied people on deviantart as a teenager and actually got banned from the site entirely because of it but we can ignore that

we got better :angel:

e2: i should hope this is obvious but i fear reprisal for sharing the above story so I'd like to clarify that, as an adult with a functioning brain I am not a fan of this kind of behavior and am not sharing it as some kind of point of pride, but rather that I think it's an interesting anecdote that he, on multiple occasions, interacted with a now famous and successful animator/showrunner (who made two shows we both really, really like) and ended up getting blocked for being a rude little poo poo.

Considering how discourse gets these days this is nothing. I recently got called a racist for saying Adam probably isn't who you want for your POC representation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Flopsy posted:

Considering how discourse gets these days this is nothing. I recently got called a racist for saying Adam probably isn't who you want for your POC representation.

I don't want to get into all the stupid anti-Viv discourse too much cause it really tends to bog the thread down, but I do want to respond to this specifically because it's really funny seeing complaints about how Viv made Adam white when "the real Adam would've been brown" as if he was a real person in the first place

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s a new one for me honestly, I thought most traditional illustrations of Adam nearly always depicted him as white

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Larryb posted:

That’s a new one for me honestly, I thought most traditional illustrations of Adam nearly always depicted him as white
Do they think Angel Dust would have had four arms and that chest puff when he was alive?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Nessus posted:

Do they think Angel Dust would have had four arms and that chest puff when he was alive?

Regardless of how you feel about the notion, this is not an equivalent argument.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I was mostly just curious if the whole “brown Adam” thing actually had any basis in religious folklore or if it’s just something people made up for the sake of complaining

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

I was mostly just curious if the whole “brown Adam” thing actually had any basis in religious folklore or if it’s just something people made up for the sake of complaining

I think they watched Good Omens and decided that's how every depiction should be. Which to be fair it's totally valid to want some variety in your depictions of mythical characters. But when the character is openly villainous or assholish I'm not sure how much you should want that to be your rep. Also Eve and Lilith are both pretty sus as well and it's entirely possible Lilith is a deadbeat mom so again not sure why someone would be baying for her to be black coded. It's...uh..a weird take I guess.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Adam, Lilith, Eve all being white is pretty much par the course. They've always been considered as such in all depictions I ever seen.

The whole thing makes me think some people are trying to cause some fuss due to the nature of the show itself.

And it's not like Viv is against non white people, Alastor ethnicity was mixed-race Creole when alive.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Adder Moray posted:

Regardless of how you feel about the notion, this is not an equivalent argument.
Thinking about it you're right; far from 1:1

Larryb posted:

I don't think Adam or Eve's color come up anywhere in the Bible or in Biblical analysis, although there would be some logic to figuring he would either be approximately Middle Eastern in appearance or would be kind of an 'average human' (which would probably be notably darker skinned than he was)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I feel like the entire argument falls into the damned if you do damned if you don't space. Make em' white? Well that's bad representation! Make em' people of color? Oh so now all the POC characters are raging assholes what're you trying to imply here!? I feel like it's just people needing something to rage about so they go after the most pedantic poo poo imaginable.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I feel like the entire argument falls into the damned if you do damned if you don't space. Make em' white? Well that's bad representation! Make em' people of color? Oh so now all the POC characters are raging assholes what're you trying to imply here!? I feel like it's just people needing something to rage about so they go after the most pedantic poo poo imaginable.

The answer is to make all 3 lovely people and have them come in a range of colors.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Adam's a fuckboy rear end in a top hat, and I have trouble imagining anything whiter than that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flopsy posted:

This made me do a quick look and it seems like all the angels are literally different shades of gray, skinwise. (Lucifer and Charlie aren't, of course.)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Adder Moray posted:

The answer is to make all 3 lovely people and have them come in a range of colors.

I actually like this answer a lot. Unfortunately I get the feeling Eve's reveal is going to be some big spoiler poo poo so it would be forever before we saw her anyway.

Nessus posted:

This made me do a quick look and it seems like all the angels are literally different shades of gray, skinwise. (Lucifer and Charlie aren't, of course.)

Don't even get me started about the bitching I've seen about this. Personally I think it's neat the angels have kinda silvery skin. Makes them look even more removed from humanity considering from what we've seen, any human shapes they take are rough approximates at best.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I respect the idea that Adam should look Middle Eastern, at least, for much the same reason that Izanagi should probably look Japanese. And eh, he's at least somewhat viable for a guy from that part of the world (I'm ignoring the grey skin here for what should be obvious reasons).

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Larryb posted:

like most christian figures he is almost always depicted as whatever ethnicity the artist/intended audience is
for instance: we live in a white supremacist society and so u will very rarely see him depicted as anything else until you start looking into non-european cultures, or recent artwork that intentionally bucks the trend
portraying The First Man as white, implies that white people are the Default Humans, which is (u guessed it) a cornerstone idea in a white supremacist culture

also i noticed that Sir Pentious and Adam have the same voice actor which is kind of wild because for like a half second i thought Pentious was Fred Tatasciore doing his, voice that sounds like that (see: Black Mountain Radio in Fallout New Vegas)

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Larryb posted:

Huh, I’d have to go back and watch the earlier episodes again to check. Maybe at first he was trying to emulate Mick Lauer‘s performance from the pilot but by episode 4 at least he was firmly back to being Keith David playing Keith David

Episode 1 after Angel asks why Alastor can't make people stay. He by no means sounds entirely different, but he definitely sounds off from how he usually sounds and how he eventually sounds as Husk. He's got an extra growl or something in it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I respect the idea that Adam should look Middle Eastern, at least, for much the same reason that Izanagi should probably look Japanese. And eh, he's at least somewhat viable for a guy from that part of the world (I'm ignoring the grey skin here for what should be obvious reasons).

I'm somewhere in between since Africa is the cradle of human civilization and mitochondria Eve originated there that dark skinned would make sense for the first human beings. But since Christianity developed in the middle east, middle eastern would also make sense. I agree these would be more authentic if that's what you're going for but Adam is meant to be half way between a clown and the worst frat boy you've ever seen. Not sure how that combo would hold up and I'm pretty sure it would infuriate even more people. Might have been wiser to make Lilith more dark skinned but at this point I'm just spitballing ideas trying to figure out a middle ground.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm about a year in to writing a novel along these lines (which will probably need to be re-engineered--again--because of HH's popularity) but I went with the idea that Adam, Eve, and Lilith should all look mixed-race as gently caress, as if any of the modern expressions of humanity could have sprung from them.

It's adjacent to producing a browner depiction of Jesus, with all the baggage from that ongoing argument.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Madurai posted:

I'm about a year in to writing a novel along these lines (which will probably need to be re-engineered--again--because of HH's popularity) but I went with the idea that Adam, Eve, and Lilith should all look mixed-race as gently caress, as if any of the modern expressions of humanity could have sprung from them.

It's adjacent to producing a browner depiction of Jesus, with all the baggage from that ongoing argument.

*shakes hand in solidarity* I'm actually writing something along the same lines myself tbh. I'm writing Lucifer as having literally broken himself apart in order to establish his own take on creation. Like it didn't come naturally to him so he resorted to using his own body to help make things that are sort of like hosed up bootlegs of God's original works.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i have posted this book on gbs and Dnd before but there is a very good sociology book about D&D/role playing games in general and the evangelical panic over them and how evangelicals reality basicaly becomes a weird toxic version of a role playing game because the "layers of play" collassp on each other. its loving nuts. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0520284925/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ironslave posted:

Adam's a fuckboy rear end in a top hat, and I have trouble imagining anything whiter than that.

all of the villians are various strains of that. Vox is the competent one who is also a tech bro clown who gets in a hate off with a psycho. Valentino is mad dog abuser who is also deeply insecure. Adam is a douchebro who got grandfathered into the good place and never changed his behavor because clearly didnt need to change anything. he is also possibly a grooming weirdo who abuses his status to make a hot girl death squad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I don't want to get into all the stupid anti-Viv discourse too much cause it really tends to bog the thread down, but I do want to respond to this specifically because it's really funny seeing complaints about how Viv made Adam white when "the real Adam would've been brown" as if he was a real person in the first place

also i have seen people calling her a ultra zionist because she ate at mcdonalds/kfc or something and posted that on instagram and thats a new thing being played around with.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also i have seen people calling her a ultra zionist because she ate at mcdonalds/kfc or something and posted that on instagram and thats a new thing being played around with.

Literally saw her being called a zionist warmonger for getting a show on Amazon prime. Like I get complaining about her workplace behavior but getting into toppling nations is just this side of slightly psychotic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is also possibly a grooming weirdo who abuses his status to make a hot girl death squad.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the masks the Executioners (other than Lute) wear might have some kind of mind control functionality to stifle any kind of empathy. I think Vaggie took hers off before she decided she didn't want to kill that kid.

Also, everyone just seems to ignore Adam and Lute having quasi-Demonic *yellow loving Sith-like eyes*.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really enjoyed the dynamic of Lute being all in on Adam's whole thing. Plus she was also murder crazy. They were a lovely hosed up power couple and I loved them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

I really enjoyed the dynamic of Lute being all in on Adam's whole thing. Plus she was also murder crazy. They were a lovely hosed up power couple and I loved them.

That Adam dies smiling because she's with him is a real moment.