Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

koolkal posted:

The big reason it's in the news is due to the special prosecutor's report. He was hired by Garland, who Biden himself picked.

Blaming this on Republicans is silly. Biden shot himself in the foot.

It's also not just Republicans who have concerns. This is from a poll that was released two days before the report and press conference:

NBC posted:

In the new poll, a combined 76% of voters say they have major concerns (62%) or moderate concerns (14%) about Biden’s not having the necessary mental and physical health to be president for a second term, compared with 24% who have either minor concerns (13%) or no concerns at all (11%).

By party, 95% of Republican voters, 81% of independents and 54% of Democrats say they have major or moderate concerns about Biden’s fitness for a second term.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/bidens-age-fitness-top-list-voters-concerns-poll-finds-rcna137212

Seems bad that a majority of Democrats and an overwhelming majority of independents had concerns.

This particular series of events probably won't factor into the election much or at all, but it does add to a growing perception that Biden isn't mentally fit. If there's a similar series of events around election day, it could end up hurting him at the polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Who actually gives a poo poo about the specific medical causes of Biden looking like a total idiot / semi-comatose fossil? The perception is what is important and no one is going to care about these "well actually it's a stutter that causes these hundreds of gaffes" explanations, even if they are correct. His age is a major concern and all of these verbal / mental mistakes are going to keep compounding the issue.

That's secondary in the current discussion to the issue of people trivializing disabilities, and separately to people confidently regurgitating utter falsehoods that they picked up from their circles right in the face of people with direct experience on the topic. In short, the thread/forum not being just a boomer Facebook feed but lefter.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Riptor posted:

it's entirely separate from Biden's electability concerns but as someone who has friends who have/had stutters, I bristle strongly at the idea that "person sometimes mis-speaks"/"person doesn't speak as well as others would expect them" is equated with "person's brain is faulty", irrespective of their age, and I feel very inclined to shut that idea down immediately when it comes up, just as it did with Fetterman in the past year

i mean i think Fetterman having a stroke in the lead up to his election was more what got people concerned about the health of his brain

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shrecknet posted:

Yeah Pence is sitting by the phone to ride out again with the guy who commanded a mob to kill him.

in fairness you said "not common" but like, it's literally going to happen this election cycle with Trump/???
Trump's not an incumbent.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

koolkal posted:

The big reason it's in the news is due to the special prosecutor's report. He was hired by Garland, who Biden himself picked.

I should note that the special prosecutor's report didn't actually question Biden's health. He was still attacking Biden because he's a Republican, but his attack was that Biden would PRETEND to be a 'nice old man with bad memory' and easily get off. Even before getting to the 'he returned them the moment they were found and did not attempt to hoard them for himself' aspect.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Who actually gives a poo poo about the specific medical causes of Biden looking like a total idiot / semi-comatose fossil? The perception is what is important and no one is going to care about these "well actually it's a stutter that causes these hundreds of gaffes" explanations, even if they are correct. His age is a major concern and all of these verbal / mental mistakes are going to keep compounding the issue.

Because it loving sucks as someone who deals with the exact same thing every day and people are intentionally perpetuating the perception that a stutter and its knock-on effects are proof that you're suffering dementia or senile.

B B posted:

It's also not just Republicans who have concerns. This is from a poll that was released two days before the report and press conference:

Seems bad that a majority of Democrats and an overwhelming majority of independents had concerns.

This particular series of events probably won't factor into the election much or at all, but it does add to a growing perception that Biden isn't mentally fit. If there's a similar series of events around election day, it could end up hurting him at the polls.

The pollster notes that Biden's health concerns don't drive voter's voting choices nearly as much as Trump's crimes do, even if more Democratics are worried about his health. There's much less worry about Trump's health because Republicans have 0% worry about it.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 10, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

celadon posted:

I don’t understand how any of this is an issue at all, this is the reason why we have vice presidents. There’s no way that the machinery will support an arguable senile man for ‘the most powerful entity on the planet’ when we could trivially switch to the backup and move on. This isn’t an issue where we have to support a dead end bloodline cause we are operating under a monarchy, this shouldn’t even be a problem.

Harris would get absolutely demolished by Trump and everybody knows it, so no matter what the truth of Biden's condition is or how bad he may get, he'll be propped up to run so long as he's still technically alive. Hell, even if he's dead they might try to hide it until the Electoral College votes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This country is a reality TV show, lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Byzantine posted:

Harris would get absolutely demolished by Trump and everybody knows it, so no matter what the truth of Biden's condition is or how bad he may get, he'll be propped up to run so long as he's still technically alive. Hell, even if he's dead they might try to hide it until the Electoral College votes.

That won't work, everyone knows it's called Weekend at Bernie's

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean i think Fetterman having a stroke in the lead up to his election was more what got people concerned about the health of his brain

Which is fine, when he was (admittedly for a while) sight unseen. But since then he's used assistive devices and been mocked for it, and many similar criticisms (of him being "brain-dead", etc) that are being leveled at Biden were leveled at him, because he effectively has a speech disability and, importantly, not a cognitive one

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

I despise Biden and this slate of the worst people in the world talking poo poo makes me want to reflexively defend him

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Meanwhile trump doesn't even know what day it is and rambles about magnets, gotta love America stuff

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Staluigi posted:

Meanwhile trump doesn't even know what day it is and rambles about magnets, gotta love America stuff

He was criticizing the electromagnetic aircraft launch system on board an aircraft carrier, as he has done so for years. The system is indeed unreliable, and maybe it really would short out and stop working if it got wet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

He was criticizing the electromagnetic aircraft launch system on board an aircraft carrier, as he has done so for years. The system is indeed unreliable, and maybe it really would short out and stop working if it got wet.

Isn't there no evidence for this?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

Isn't there no evidence for this?

Which part?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Which part?

I presume the "it might short out if wet" part.

Also the reliably has gotten a lot better since Trump's Pentagon guy said that, though it's apparently becoming clear that some aspects of the equipment need to be updated if there's going to be further improvements.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

koolkal posted:

More than that - the law requires a full report be written to the AG, and with Biden on tape admitting he had classified information in 2017, the special prosecutor had to make a case defending the decision not to recommend charges. He can’t just explain it verbally in a conference room or whatever, it must be written down.

Garland had the leeway to not publish the report, or release a redacted version, but chose to release it in full.

Also guys like the purpose of D&D is educational, not to gleefully dunk on people cmon

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

Which part?

You seem to be implying Trump was correct in his criticisms, but of the reports I can find at a glance seem to say that the system is generally working fine, it may not be meeting certain reliability standards but it doesn't seem to be infringing on the Navy's capability, so if this is your meaning I could be wrong I don't think the reality matches Trump's opinion here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Before getting lost in the weeds about the relative merits of magnetic vs. kinetic aircraft launch systems, the more relevant thing is that magnets do not stop working under water and that "taking any magnet and dropping a glass of water on it" is not an experiment you can do at home to prove that water breaks magnets.

Even being extremely generous to Trump and assuming he was talking specifically about electromagnets and not regular magnets at home... electromagnets still work under water because magnetic fields are not the same thing as electric currents.

Edit: This was the relevant set of quotes for reference:

quote:

The electric catapult, you know that story? I could tell you about the elevators on a tremendous carrier, the Gerald Ford, and they decided not to use hydraulic like the John Deere tractor, they decided to use magnets, “we’re gonna use magnets!” to lift up the elevators with seven planes. We need them fast, these massive elevators. They used magnets, they wanted to try it for the first time.

quote:

"Think of it, magnets," Trump said. "Now all I know about magnets is this, give me a glass of water, let me drop it on the magnets, that's the end of the magnets. Why didn't they use John Deere? Why didn't they bring in the John Deere people? Do you like John Deere? I like John Deere. By the way, this is more interesting than listening to teleprompter stuff, right? Don’t you think? Because it’s business, it’s like business.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 10, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mawarannahr posted:

Ok that takes care of that five minutes where he said something so loving stupid it gave everyone around him a lobotomy, now explain literally every other time he has opened his mouth, ever

\Personally i'm a fan of the time he recommended injecting bleach to cure covid

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

B B posted:

How much of those concerns and perceptions are driven by billion dollar empires of propaganda forcing this to be an issue? Trump has smashed oatmeal for brains and is 1000% on the downhill slope of dementia, but that isn't getting wall to wall coverage on Fox because they're the propaganda arm of the Republican party.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

from the 2023 dot&e report on gerald r ford on emals

quote:

During FY23, DOT&E observed EMALS reliability remained consistent with recent developmental test (460 MCBOMF in FY21 and 614 MCBOMF in FY22). Despite engineering upgrades to hardware and software, reliability has not appreciably changed from prior years and reliance on off-ship technical support remains a challenge. As part of an effort to provide short- and long-term improvements to address EMALS reliability degraders, NAVAIR delivered a software update and upgraded all catapult position sensor blocks prior to CVN 78’s deployment and is continuing development on further improvements. Furthermore, a situational awareness display was added in the EMALS Maintenance Workstation that facilitates troubleshooting during operations. Additional details can be found in DOT&E’s classified EFR.

and sortie generation

quote:

In FY23, CVN 78 conducted almost as many flight operations (as measured by the number of aircraft launch and recoveries) as it had in the previous five years combined since commissioning. From the first arrested landing on CVN 78 in July 2017 until the end of FY22, CVN 78 had conducted 10,826 arrested landings. In FY23 alone, CVN 78 conducted 9,266 arrested landings. The reliability and maintainability of CVN 78’s EMALS and AAG continue to adversely affect sortie generation and flight operations, which remains the greatest risk to demonstrating operational effectiveness and suitability in IOT&E. Despite these continuing reliability challenges,
DOT&E observed general increases in crew proficiency and decreases in some repair times. While this has improved sortie generation compared to previous years, SGR tests have not been completed yet nor have training sortie rates flown to date approached that of the KPP requirement. CVN 78 earned the flight operations efficiency portion of its Blue Water Certification as part of the Navy’s deployment certification process. Observations during COMPTUEX suggests that the Ford-class flight deck design improves the efficiency of aircraft turnarounds compared to that of a Nimitz-class flight deck. Additional details on sortie generation effectiveness can be found in DOT&E’s classified EFR. Executing the planned SGR testing, as outlined in TEMP Revision E, will be crucial to evaluating the ship’s combat effectiveness and accrediting the high-fidelity SSAM which is an essential tool for evaluating the SGR KPP and supporting life-of-class upgrades..

https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97/pub/reports/FY2023/navy/2023cvn78.pdf?ver=P_MZ-w03KEk_gBALt1FjtQ%3d%3d

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

You seem to be implying Trump was correct in his criticisms, but of the reports I can find at a glance seem to say that the system is generally working fine, it may not be meeting certain reliability standards but it doesn't seem to be infringing on the Navy's capability, so if this is your meaning I could be wrong I don't think the reality matches Trump's opinion here.
I got my information from this recent article:
Trump's weird rant about magnets recalls Insane Clown Posse meme

www.businessinsider.com posted:

"They want to use magnets to lift up the elevators," Trump said in a July 2021 interview with a Princeton professor. "I said magnets will not work. Give me a cup of water, throw it on the magnets, you totally short out the system. They said, 'How did you know that?' I said, 'Because I know that.'"

It's unclear where Trump might have got the idea that magnets don't work underwater, but it is a common myth that results in numerous debunking articles after a simple Google search.

To his credit, however, Trump was right that the electromagnetic catapults on the aircraft carrier would be unreliable.

An oversight report released in 2019 by the Defense Department's operational test office showed that the catapult system repeatedly failed to launch and land an aircraft. In 2020, Navy officials said they were unsure what was causing the system to malfunction. And the Pentagon still appears to be working out its kinks, The Maritime Executive reported in February.
It sounds like it's not very reliable.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Before getting lost in the weeds about the relative merits of magnetic vs. kinetic aircraft launch systems, the more relevant thing is that magnets do not stop working under water and that "taking any magnet and dropping a glass of water on it" is not an experiment you can do at home to prove that water breaks magnets.

Even being extremely generous to Trump and assuming he was talking specifically about electromagnets and not regular magnets at home... electromagnets still work under water because magnetic fields are not the same thing as electric currents.

I am inclined to believe he is using a theatrical manner in pointing things out, and the point he is trying to make isn't the literal one. I have family members, also narcissists, who have always done this. I guess it's a little too subtle for some folks to appreciate, but I don't think Trump's statements on magnets come from a deteriorating state of mind.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mawarannahr posted:

I am inclined to believe he is using a theatrical manner in pointing things out, and the point he is trying to make isn't the literal one. I have family members, also narcissists, who have always done this. I guess it's a little too subtle for some folks to appreciate, but I don't think Trump's statements on magnets come from a deteriorating state of mind.

Then what does he mean by saying that water stops magnets from working?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

Then what does he mean by saying that water stops magnets from working?
As I already mentioned, it has to be evaluated in the context of his umbrage vis-a-vis the well-known reliability issues for a system that is operating on water.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mawarannahr posted:

I don't think it is indicative of a deteriorating state of mind. He's said stuff like that since the 80's. He was clearly riffing and it seems likely that it was one of these scenarios:

- He legitimately thought magnets didn't work in water.

- He knew normal magnets work in water and knew there were reliability issues with the magnetic elevators, but thought electromagnets didn't work in water because of the "electro" part.

- He knew about the reliability issues and thought the glass of water and magnets thing was just a really good "those eggheads didn't even think of the obvious thing!" burn to promote John Deer and show how he was brigning common business sense to the government. He didn't really think it had to make sense and was just a good line.

The second part where he says that you can pour a glass of water on magnets and there will be no more magnets seems to imply one of those three explanations rather than he was assuming everyone in the audience was familiar with the details of the Navy's propulsion projects.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mawarannahr posted:

As I already mentioned, it has to be evaluated in the context of his umbrage vis-a-vis the well-known reliability issues for a system that is operating on water.

Sure but no matter how theatrical his delivery, that particular phrase is supposed to convey meaning and I’m asking you what it is. Seeing as you are volunteering yourself as someone who speaks narcissist, this seems like an obvious follow-up question.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Trump also believes that the body has a finite amount of energy, which is why he doesn't exercise. He believes a lot of stupid poo poo.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

It is not the water that is causing reliability issues.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sure but no matter how theatrical his delivery, that particular phrase is supposed to convey meaning and I’m asking you what it is. Seeing as you are volunteering yourself as someone who speaks narcissist, this seems like an obvious follow-up question.
I don't know! It's pretty clear to me that it's the kind of stuff that, as Leon points out, he has always done. The issue was brought up by someone whatabouting about the former president with the implication (in the context of the discussion in the thread) that it is Trump who is having cognitive issues due to advancing age:

Staluigi posted:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mawarannahr posted:

the implication (in the context of the discussion in the thread) that it is Trump who is having cognitive issues due to advancing age:

are you disputing that Trump does in fact have massive cognitive deficits? Because if you are I have some hydroxychloroquine to sell you

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

are you disputing that Trump does in fact have massive cognitive deficits? Because if you are I have some hydroxychloroquine to sell you

Could you please read these last few words again? Thank you

quote:

cognitive issues due to advancing age

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think I’m getting the argument (please, correct me if not) and it’s not that Trump doesn’t have cognitive deficits, it’s that he doesn’t (necessarily) have cognitive decline because he’s been this dumb for decades.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I always assumed he had heard someone talking about quenching a magnet and his brain took that to mean getting it wet

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Byzantine posted:

I feel like the more his age becomes an issue the more likely they are to replace Harris with someone more liked (lol I don't know who) because that's really the only response they could do even if it's a half assed one. Basically saying ok you are worried about Biden's age, here's a VP candidate you'd be happy with taking over if it comes down to it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Trump claims that magnets stop working if you put them in a glass of water and this has people arguing about magnetic catapults like Trump has the foggiest idea

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"Think of it, magnets," Trump said. "Now all I know about magnets is this, give me a glass of water, let me drop it on the magnets, that's the end of the magnets. Why didn't they use John Deere? Why didn't they bring in the John Deere people? Do you like John Deere? I like John Deere. By the way, this is more interesting than listening to teleprompter stuff, right? Don’t you think? Because it’s business, it’s like business.”

Because Trump is not talking to you, me or anybody in this thread. Yes, he's got major brain worms, but his message is directed at the chuds and rednecks who go "yeah, tractors and poo poo, oorah. USA! USA!".

They understand tractors and poo poo, but magnets? How do they work?

It doesn't make sense to us, but it makes sense to them. And that is all that matters.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Could you please read these last few words again? Thank you

Have you like, just listened to him speak recently at all? They're both clearly doing much worse for the four years since 2020. If they actually manage to get trump to debate it's going to be a really poor showing and reviewing the 2020 ones right after I'm sure will be a sharp contrast.

I don't feel comfortable armchair diagnosing either person with dementia or anything but they're both pretty clearly at least suffering from standard age related cognitive decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

cdc posted:

Because Trump is not talking to you, me or anybody in this thread. Yes, he's got major brain worms, but his message is directed at the chuds and rednecks who go "yeah, tractors and poo poo, oorah. USA! USA!".

They understand tractors and poo poo, but magnets? How do they work?

It doesn't make sense to us, but it makes sense to them. And that is all that matters.

It would probably take a scientist to clear up the whole magnet thing, and I really don't want to talk to one. Those motherfuckers are lying, and it's gettin' me pissed.