Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I finished Act II of The Way of Kings.

This book is insane. I love Brandon Sanderson. I'll be ordering some merch once I am done reading this.

Notes:

• Rock is my spirit animal. It's pretty drat obvious to me Polynesians inspired Rock and his race, especially his name. Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor sounds a lot like Hawaii's state fish humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa.
  • Adolin got game if he attracts every woman at camp. Hopefully, he marries one.
  • It's fantastic to see Kaladin get everyone in Bridge Four to buy into him in real-time.
  • gently caress Gaz.
  • The Chasms sound like hell. They are walking in darkness, surrounded by bodies and bones. The book went from High Fantasy to Horror quickly.
  • The fight scene with two shard bearers and Dalinar in his vision will be one of TV's most badass fight scenes once they adapt this Book Series.

Predictions:

• Dalinar is much more than human and becomes something else. A Radiant? A Herald? I'm not sure, but he doesn't have these visions for no reason.
  • Adolin kills Sadeas. Sadeas is acting too much like a bitch to the point I'm starting to hate him.
  • Bridge Four becomes the official bridge of Dalinar's Warcamp. Somehow, their efforts are noticed by either Dalinar, Adolin, or Renarin, and they get promoted and moved.
  • Since the book lets us know Shallan became Jasnah's Ward when they were writing with Dalinar, I'll assume the two eventually make it to the Shattered Plains.
  • There is an epic final fight on the Plains. It's either against the Parshendi, or it's against a massive monster, possibly a Void Bringer.
  • The Everstorm (or whatever the big storm Dalinar keeps seeing in his visions) finally comes.

Now, back to reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Those are some fun predictions!

Also, if you thought that fight scene was good, just know that it wouldn’t make any reader’s top 20 list. Invest in seatbelts.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

Also, if you thought that fight scene was good, just know that it wouldn’t make any reader’s top 20 list. Invest in seatbelts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

CapnAndy posted:

It is so low on the list I forgot about it. drat this series has some awesome fights. I think my favorite is still the end of Rhythm of War, nothing like seeing rockstars just get utterly crushed and it ending with a "He wasn't even the strong one".

TGG fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 10, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Can't wait to see "the strong one" fight. We only got a hint so far. Dude is Jet Lee.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Their nickname is The Ancient of Stones, the motherfucker is not going down.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

One more note since I just read the interlude to Part 3 of TWoKs.

I can already tell Szeth is about to be a menace in this final part (or even this whole series. I have no clue.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

These predictions are very fun, as someone still in the middle of the series myself.

An interesting thing about these predictions is (SNEAKER NO READ): I feel like it demonstrates why I feel like WoK/WoR feel line one book that was split in half. Since many of these predictions are pretty close to what you would expect from the first half of WoK. Then... basically none of what is predicted here happens. But then it ALL happens by the end of the next book.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mordeceius write a single post without complaining about Wok challenge (impossible)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Predicting something that happens later in a series based off of an early book is just a fantasy staple.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It’s common enough for authors to start writing a book and realize that they have enough material for two (or more) books. Sanderson had to do it to finish The Wheel of Time, he did it again with Mistborn part 2 (which was, remember, only supposed to be a single bonus book between the originally-planned Mistborn eras 1 and 2). Tamsyn Muir did it with Nona the Ninth (it started out life as part 1 of the final book in the trilogy, and it kept growing until her editor went “you know your part 1 is basically a book on its own?”).

And sure, the first two Stormlight books might feel like the front and back half of what was originally one book. But all that extra fluff is probably either cool world building on Sanderson’s part (there is just so much showing of how the world has evolved in response to the highstorms, and how alien it is compared to Earth), or laying the groundwork for future plot points.

I wonder if it undermines my argument to say “it’s common enough in fantasy” and then three of my four examples are one author. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I actually think I probably would have like Way of Kings a lot more if it was my first Sanderson book. I feel like I’m probably unfairly harsh on the book due to expectations I had from his other books.

I genuinely don’t think it is a bad book. And the further I get into the series, the more I can appreciate it even if I still think of it as frustrating.

Mistborn era 1 probably set the bar too high for me.

General WoK talk - While the book has a lot of great worldbuilding, not much actually happens to the world over the course of the book (post-prologues). The Way of Kings is a lot more about character and world development than plot happenings. If you look at the start of Roshar at Way of Kings Part 1 Chapter 1, the world is basically in the same state by the time you get to Words of Radiance Part 1 Chapter 1. Some people have changed their place in society and their allegiances, but that’s about it. I was expecting a world shift in the similar manner of The Final Empire -> Well of Ascension. For as much as I loved the world building and character building, I hated feeling like “oh, that’s the end?” by the time I reached WoK Part 5.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don’t think WoK is bad, I think it’s the first 20% of WoR that’s been excised from its rightful home, bloated three times longer than it needed to be, and cruelly left to stand on its own as an interesting story.

Okay, maybe I think it’s kinda bad.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

I don’t think WoK is bad, I think it’s the first 20% of WoR that’s been excised from its rightful home, bloated three times longer than it needed to be, and cruelly left to stand on its own as an interesting story.

Okay, maybe I think it’s kinda bad.

I think for an entry point, Way of Kings was rough for me to get into. I think this and Stephen King's Wizard and Glass was the hardest book for me to get into. Once I got around pg700 (give or take the last quarter), it skyrocketed from tedious to downright magnificent. Halfway through Rhythms of War and, whoa!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s been years since my last reread. Here are the highlight moments that stick out for the 3 major characters (all spoilers):

Kaladin: The Tower, WoK
Dalinar: You Cannot Have My Pain, Oathbringer
Shallan: ????, she does something sneaky and is confused about who she is? any book I guess

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Finally got around to seeing DUNC part 1 in IMAX today and now I want Oscar Isaac to play Dalinar.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
No thank you, Dalinar is not supposed to be Hispanic or that good looking

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Finally got around to seeing DUNC part 1 in IMAX today and now I want Oscar Isaac to play Dalinar.

Oscar Isaac? No

Denis directing? Yes

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

All the Stormlight actors need to be like 7 feet tall to be book accurate, so when the crossovers start happening you can tell the other world hoppers by how short they are at like 6 feet.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will riot if the Stormlight actors aren't Asian. Apart from the actors playing Shin characters, of course.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I will riot if the Stormlight actors aren't Asian. Apart from the actors playing Shin characters, of course.

I mean, if it is created by any Hollywood studio, the leads will not be all Asian. You'd be lucky if any were. (Hence why it should be an anime, not a live action adaptation.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

No thank you, Dalinar is not supposed to be Hispanic or that good looking
he’s supposed to be a mega fox tyvm

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I can't imagine how many concessions and limits a live action Stormlight would have to have without having a budget of billions. Spren alone would require hundreds of vfx shots an episode, it just makes sense to animate.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, if it is created by any Hollywood studio, the leads will not be all Asian. You'd be lucky if any were. (Hence why it should be an anime, not a live action adaptation.

Let Bollywood do it you cowards.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CapnAndy posted:

he’s supposed to be a mega fox tyvm

Only if you count facially scarred, multiple broken nose, ugly, permanently bruised, and gruff to be a mega fox?

Like sure a little bit of gray hair and the command authority of god does make people swoon I guess.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

M_Gargantua posted:

Only if you count facially scarred, multiple broken nose, ugly, permanently bruised, and gruff to be a mega fox?

Like sure a little bit of gray hair and the command authority of god does make people swoon I guess.

I'm with you, the dude is hot as hell.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Tell it to his tight butt

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Also, when thinking of “Hollywood version of Stormlight Archive,” none of the protags would be “ugly.” Even if that’s a character trait in the books. They’re not going to cast someone unattractive to be a protag.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Also, when thinking of “Hollywood version of Stormlight Archive,” none of the protags would be “ugly.” Even if that’s a character trait in the books. They’re not going to cast someone unattractive to be a protag.

the term is 'character actor'

socialsecurity posted:

All the Stormlight actors need to be like 7 feet tall to be book accurate, so when the crossovers start happening you can tell the other world hoppers by how short they are at like 6 feet.

easy just cast the only major offworlder, Hoid, as Danny Devito

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

the term is 'character actor'

Which Hollywood generally doesn't peddle in nowadays. This is a bit of a tangent, but that's one of the issues with modern Hollywood filmmaking. They don't cast "ugly" actors. People like Steve Buscemi and Luis Guzmán are relics of the past. The youngest super active character actor I can think of is Walter Goggins and he's in his 50s.

Hollywood no longer casts people inherently unattractive. I can point to numerous recent films where a role that would traditionally go to a character actor is instead given to a more conventionally attractive actor who is then done up with make-up/prosthetics to make them "safely unattractive."

Walter Goggins for Dalinar.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

The Way of Kings - Part 48

Kaladin really killed a shardbearer on the battlefield by throwing a spearhead through the smallest slit in a man’s armor, and when it came time to take his blade, he went “Nah. I’m good…” WTF. I can’t tell if that’s just badassery or fuckery.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Tell it to his tight butt

His stormwagon.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mechanical question - I'm going to wrap up WoR today but I was curious about some mechanics of the magic - mainly in reference to Honor Blades. Bonding with an Honor Blade makes you, for all intents and purposes, and artificial Radiant. Or maybe it could be said that the Honor Blade bonders are true Radiants and spren-blade havers are artificial Radiants. Regardless, that's not my point. It was seen that Kaladin could heal "dead" limbs that were sever by Honor/Shard blades. So that begets my question - for the people out there that have limbs severed by shardblades, could they bond with an honor blade temporarily to heal their dead limbs and then pass the blade on to the next person?

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Mechanical question - I'm going to wrap up WoR today but I was curious about some mechanics of the magic - mainly in reference to Honor Blades. Bonding with an Honor Blade makes you, for all intents and purposes, and artificial Radiant. Or maybe it could be said that the Honor Blade bonders are true Radiants and spren-blade havers are artificial Radiants. Regardless, that's not my point. It was seen that Kaladin could heal "dead" limbs that were sever by Honor/Shard blades. So that begets my question - for the people out there that have limbs severed by shardblades, could they bond with an honor blade temporarily to heal their dead limbs and then pass the blade on to the next person?

WOB: "Honorblades are what you'd consider a "prototype" for what eventually happened with Shardblades. An Honorblade can be used by anyone, without need for oaths, which makes them very dangerous--but since the bond isn't as deep, they are far less efficient. They use more Stormlight, for example, and can't heal to the extent that a Radiant can."

And in reply to another questioner who points out that Szeth says in TWoK that he can't heal from a shardblade cut, Brandon specifically says that holding an Honorblade is not enough to do it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hah! Amazing. I figured that question had to have come up at one point.

One of the good things about coming to this books after many have been written is that I don't have to wait for the next book. One of the bad things is that when I know that a certain book is from a certain character's point of view (like how Oathbringer is Dalinar's book) then it removes a bit of the tension with any scenes involving aforementioned characters.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mordiceius posted:

Hah! Amazing. I figured that question had to have come up at one point.

One of the good things about coming to this books after many have been written is that I don't have to wait for the next book. One of the bad things is that when I know that a certain book is from a certain character's point of view (like how Oathbringer is Dalinar's book) then it removes a bit of the tension with any scenes involving aforementioned characters.

The book title that did this for me was The Lost Metal, (TLM spoilers, obviously) but then not really?

The fact that it was called that instantly got me assuming that Era 2 was 300 years after Era 1, since it was stated during Era 1 that the atium would take 300 years to recover. But then it actually didn't because Harmony turned that off completely. But then Wax blew himself up and created trace amounts of Lerasium, which I think is the real "Lost Metal" that the book title is referring to.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

pik_d posted:

The book title that did this for me was The Lost Metal, (TLM spoilers, obviously)

The fact that it was called that instantly got me assuming that Era 2 was 300 years after Era 1

Not really a spoiler when it's the first line in the synopsis for the era, not any more than there being more books in the series.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

big mean giraffe posted:

Not really a spoiler when it's like the first line in the synopsis for the era

Yeah, it's on the back of the book too, (TLM) it's just funny that I came to the correct conclusion for entirely the wrong reason. That's the part that's a spoiler, that the Pits of Hathsin didn't repopulate the atium.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Now I’m just imagining Steve Buscemi as Sadeas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

bobjr posted:

Now I’m just imagining Steve Buscemi as Sadeas

I think I've pictured him as Burn Gorman even though I guess they should all be more East Asian looking.