Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I can shoot that stuff raw, but if I am doing more than a few models I add a little bit of flow improver. With primer you can use a bigger needle as well, which somewhat reduces the need to thin the Vallejo grey primer.

I've been following Vince's guide which is like 4:1 thinner (his mix) on a 3mm needle. Good to know you can just use a bigger needle. I never thought to try honestly, but I haven't put a ton of time thinking through about how airbrushes work to start developing some instincts about how to use them effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Slyphic posted:

Obnoxious hipster take, I make it a point not to photograph or judge my minis in any kind of controlled optimal lighting environment (unless it's a competition submission). I paint for play, so I deliberately want to see and share what they look like as they will when we're gaming.

given how photographs immediately show up all the mistakes that you don't really notice on the table, I understand that urge.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah thanks, I'll try that next time.

In retrospect too much thinner was kind of an obvious answer since I said the problems were that paint was flowing too much and drying too fast.

I haven't done any experimenting yet, but I did do some more research on this since I'm also experimenting with airbrushing Contrast-type paints, and here is what I learned:

-Thinner: contains alcohol, which is great for quick dry time between coats, but also can cause tip dry

-Flow Improver: basically a surfactant, great because it helps prevent tip dry and allows for layers to have a longer drying time (which can help with various things), but overuse of it can cause airbrushed layers to take a long time to dry

One suggestion I'd read was to have a mix of thinner and flow improver, anywhere from 90% thinner/10% flow improver, to 60/40 (depending on your particular project's needs). Various people had said they altered the mix depending on what they were airbrushing; basecoats and such usually had more thinner, while inks and Contrast-type paints had more flow improver added to the mix (to allow those types of paints more time to flow and dry evenly).

Hopefully I'll get some time to experiment with that here this week. This is probably one of those "well duh" kind of things for anyone who's been using an airbrush for a long while, but as someone who's primarily been using it for priming, basecoating, and varnishing, I'm interested in figuring out some new ways to use it. :v:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I would say that it's also ok to be upset and unhappy sometimes when you're painting. Especially when starting out, since you will run into a frustrating problems of paint not working the way you expect it or want it to, your art tools not working as well as you would like or giving you some other problems. And that's on top of mistakes you'll be making.

The important bit is not to get discouraged forever. Being unhappy and giving yourself some space and taking a break is ok. As long as you get back to it later when you feel like painting again. As a beginner you're more sensitive to this stuff, but with enough time I imagine you should be able to reach a point where you're comfortable with the quality of your work so you can be happy with how your miniature looks instead of thinking "i'll never be that good".

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Hey guys. What's the consensus on thinning down Citadel metallic paints? I've heard from some people that they don't need to be thinned, but that sounds like a great way to get clumpy textures. I usually undercoat with black or blue so it takes a few coats regardless, but dayum.

Any recommendations for other brands?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vallejo metal color is the best. scale75 is pretty good too

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Scale 75 has some absolute winners that VMC doesn’t make, such as decayed metal.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
Good to know. My friend showed me some Vallejo metallic hat went on in one coat.

Is thinning down Citadel metallics still the move, though?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
You definitely should thin citadel metallics a little, as they’re (mostly) quite gloopy. You can use water if you’d like, but sparingly.

For paid options, if you try a little matte medium (liquitex, golden, lahmian medium) it’ll help a bit as well.

Some people also like a single drop of Vallejo flow improver as a good option too.

For all of the above, I’d recommend doing not on a wet palette to start with, as you’ll want to work out your consistency as you experiment, and the wet palette will consistently be adding liquid to the equation.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Aliensandwich posted:

Hey guys. What's the consensus on thinning down Citadel metallic paints? I've heard from some people that they don't need to be thinned, but that sounds like a great way to get clumpy textures. I usually undercoat with black or blue so it takes a few coats regardless, but dayum.

Any recommendations for other brands?

Duncan uses a small amount of water. I’ve tried thinning before like regular paints and it gives poor results. So I guess a little?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

jesus WEP posted:

vallejo metal color is the best. scale75 is pretty good too

Your probably right, but I do like Vallejo metal air too

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, so liquitex ink does reactivate when speedpaint goes on top of it. Varnishing isn't a waste of time there, so don't be lazy I guess.

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Yeast posted:

You definitely should thin citadel metallics a little, as they’re (mostly) quite gloopy. You can use water if you’d like, but sparingly.

For paid options, if you try a little matte medium (liquitex, golden, lahmian medium) it’ll help a bit as well.

Some people also like a single drop of Vallejo flow improver as a good option too.

For all of the above, I’d recommend doing not on a wet palette to start with, as you’ll want to work out your consistency as you experiment, and the wet palette will consistently be adding liquid to the equation.

Ah yeah I think putting those metallic paints on my wet palette is what has been causing the problem.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aliensandwich posted:

Good to know. My friend showed me some Vallejo metallic hat went on in one coat.

The move is to throw them away or use them to drybrush weather things. Then buy some Vallejo metal color for steels, and AK or Scale75 for golds. Or use yellow contrast paint on steel color VMC

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

The move is to throw them away or use them to drybrush weather things. Then buy some Vallejo metal color for steels, and AK or Scale75 for golds. Or use yellow contrast paint on steel color VMC

this is nonsense, the citadel metallics range from basically fine to best in class, particularly Retributor Gold

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That class just happens to be ‘best of the rest’

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yeast posted:

That class just happens to be ‘best of the rest’

retributor gold is genuinely excellent

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Vallejo Metal Color steel is very nice, premium color metallic black is good if you want steel but even darker.

Two Thin Coats spartan bronze goes on nice and smooth in a single coat oddly enough, but it's very matte for metallic paint. Vallejo game air or whatever bronze is a brighter and shinier version of that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Cease to Hope posted:

retributor gold is genuinely excellent

yeah it's probably the best one they do, and it's ok, but (imo) Scale 75 Dwarven gold is a better covering, finer mica warm gold.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Aliensandwich posted:

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is a kind of lovely answer to that question tbh.

Citadel metallics arent best in show or anything, but they also arent unusable trash. They're pretty much the textbook definition of "basically fine". Their coverage is fine, their opacity is fine, they are a little thick out the pot for my taste but thats not unusual for citadel paints. They'll absolutely do the job of making a tiny plastic sword look like its made of metal. They arent a brand I'd particularly recommend if the question was "what gunmetal paint should I buy?", but I have to push back on the idea that they are so bad you should bin them and spend another 15 bucks on different metallic paints which are the current hotness. Also if you are doing gold by using contrast paint over a silver (a technique I heartily endorse, it looks great, though I've always used Agaross Dunes rather than any of the contrast yellows, I'm curious to see how the yellow looks now) I feel like the contrast paint is doing the bulk of the colour work and, as long as your base is silver, the difference between different brands of silver is probably imperceptible.

To answer the actual question, yeah, you thin down the metallics a bit, just enough so you dont leave brushstrokes is what I go with. Dont put them on a wet palette and I'd recommend starting by just going into the paint with a very wet brush and work from there rather than adding a drop of water directly to the paint, you dont want to over thin them either. Brush could be wet with Matt Medium of some description if you have it to hand and are feeling fancy, but water will do the job fine.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

painting metallics over black or brown as well helps hugely.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got my white so I could finish Lohith. He's made of Soulstone, a blue crystal, so the orange-yellow light makes him green. The backside only gets pale moonlight, so he stays blue there.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paragon8 posted:

painting metallics over black or brown as well helps hugely.

:emptyquote:

Electric Hobo posted:

I got my white so I could finish Lohith. He's made of Soulstone, a blue crystal, so the orange-yellow light makes him green. The backside only gets pale moonlight, so he stays blue there.

Love it. The OSL is impactful without being HAY LOOK I DID OSL!!! (which is what I tend to do :( )

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, I’ve found most Citadel metallics to be okay to good, Leadbelcher and Retributer being my favourites. Definitely not garbage tier. As ^^^ said, black and brown bases are essential.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Using 20% alcohol water mix to thin contrast paint 1:1 seemed to work somewhat ok. Still need to control the trigger to avoid paint flowing everywhere, but it's a lot easier to do it than with what else i've tried so far. Good enough to try and basecoat different parts with.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think I've wasted some paint by leaving the pressure too high on the compressor, but I've been thinning with 20% IPA 80% water and that seems to work well

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Finished the grotmas gitz! I'm often overly critical of myself, but I'm super happy with how this guy turned out- though I could definitely have spent more time on the rider, especially his coat- but whatever! It felt done.

This guy is by far the most advanced thing I've painted, just an incredible amount of colour and detail on this model- but incredibly fun to paint, it'll be weird to transition back to painting Raven Guard in various shades of grey and black after this

I hope someone can tell what the bottom right box is supposed to be painted as- and the other ones are totally randomly picked colours and not at all some attempt at incisive scandinavian political commentary.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It’s really well done, nice!

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
That's some really nice attention to detail. Hell yeah

Aliensandwich fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 11, 2024

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
You've convinced me; I'll keep posting.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Slow and steady progress on another PBC.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm getting a terrible sense of deja vu.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I don't think it was posted here before, but in hobby YouTuber news, Peachy announced on his IG that he's leaving The Painting Phase.

quote:

It is with a heavy heart that I must bid farewell to The Painting Phase. When offered the opportunity to join the channel over a year ago, I relished the chance to do something I love with a friend; spreading that love to the gaming community and hopefully helping bring more enjoyment to others in the hobby both inside and outside of the world of warhammer.
Yet, as time passed, it became increasingly evident that despite my contributions, dedication and loyalty, it would never evolve into something that I would be considered to be an equal partner in and will always remain driven by the vision and aspiration of its original creator.

And so, after much reflection, I have made the difficult decision to step away. It is not a choice made lightly but one based on my drive to pursue authenticity and create fun engaging content that I hope others will enjoy and will support them on their own hobby journeys.

As I embark on this new chapter, I carry with me the cherished memories and lessons learned from The Painting Phase and I wish the channel well. Yet, I am also excited about the prospect of charting my own course, of creating something that reflects my unique vision and values.

I extend my sincerest gratitude to all who have supported me on this journey thus far. Your encouragement and understanding mean the world to me. And though I part ways with The Painting Phase, I hope you will continue to accompany me on the path ahead, my new adventure and channel, PEACHY TIPS!

With heartfelt appreciation,
Peachy

So it basically sounds like he wanted more input as to the direction and content of the channel, but the guys who ran it disagreed, and he was feeling more like a hired hand rather than a partner; and since he'd already been there and done that with GW, he might as well strike out and do his own thing rather than just stay working for someone else.

Also, as an aside, I much preferred the "roundtable" chat format TPP had for their guest interviews/ramble sessions, than what they have now with people sitting on couches. The former looked like an actual professional setup, whereas the latter just has dudes with their beer bellies lapping over their belts. :v:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It was mentioned in the 40K thread.

While Peachy is entertaining, I don't think he can carry the whole thing on his own.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Lostconfused posted:

While Peachy is entertaining, I don't think he can carry the whole thing on his own.

I'm of the opposite view, because while I know that The Painting Phase has been around for a while before him, I don't think I'd ever actually heard of them before he turned up. I also think he made for a very good host during their guest interviews. Between that and the experience he had doing stuff on camera for GW, I think he'll likely do just fine.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Exactly, he wasn't doing a show by himself.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Lostconfused posted:

Exactly, he wasn't doing a show by himself.

He's done numerous tutorial videos for GW where he was the only person on camera, though? He even did a lot of that for TPP, as well.

Unless you're talking about behind the scenes, in which case I don't actually know if he has anyone he's hired to run camera gear etc. for him, but a lot of YT hobby content creators do most (if not all) of that stuff by themselves, anyways, so he wouldn't be unique in that regard.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lostconfused posted:

Agreed. He should just go join Duncan and form a power team to eventually dethrone GW.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Like I said in the 40k thread I dont have any real reason to listen to or watch TPP now because Peach left.

I found Patrick to be kind of a meme lord. If he has an opinion on something it's because he's read it online on Reddit or something.

Geoff seemed like an alright dude though if a little bit up his own rear end about things.

I think Peachy on his own in solo ventures will be fine and maybe we'll see him and Duncan do something together if we're lucky.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Did you know Geoff was in the army? And he's a barber?

I would like to see Peachy and Duncan team up as a small gently caress-you to GW, but mostly because I would like to see some bigger name painting Youtubers doing Napoleonics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Peach has talked about doing a podcast with Louise so that'll be interesting to see.

The podcast felt like what really set them apart from the rest of the scene and a lot of those guests seemed to come via peachy so it does feel like they've blown things up a lot.

I don't think the standard of painting that peach puts out really is what I'm looking for in tutorials but do enjoy him as a personality so hopefully he gets some kind of podcast going.