Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Fromsoft journey update: I haven't beat Dark Souls II yet, but I am comfortable saying it's my favorite so far.

You just love the drama don't you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I like getting the ring that saves all your souls when you die but breaks, but it only costs 5000 to repair it so you basically get to be OP as hell and never lose souls more than 5000 whenever you die.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Fromsoft journey update: I haven't beat Dark Souls II yet, but I am comfortable saying it's my favorite so far.

That's what's up

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
But Dark Souls 2 is the worst one, at least according to the 10 hour youtube videos I watch while high.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Excited for the next twenty pages of the same Dark Souls discourse.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lies of P is better than any of the Dark Souls games

George
Nov 27, 2004

Oh you don't say.

Wow super interesting take.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone said Dork Souls yet?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

fridge corn posted:

Maybe but im not playing grimdark anime pinocchio. Im just not doing it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

grimdark anime pinocchio was dope as hell but I was mad there was no undersea level with a giant whale boss

George
Nov 27, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

grimdark anime pinocchio was dope as hell but I was mad there was no undersea level with a giant whale boss

are you loving kidding me with this poo poo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Youre missin out bro

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Swordfish is better than any of the Matrix movies

George
Nov 27, 2004

imagine making a whole video game about pinocchio and not doing the whale

George
Nov 27, 2004

pinocchio, you can absorb lies from fallen enemies. use them to upgrade your skills and abilities. keep collecting lies from this warehouse full of goons to level up!

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Pinocchio wasn't even in the game they named the character after the stupid book author and 'P' just means puppet dumbest idea ever just call him goddamn Pinocchio you hacks

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Nice Van My Man posted:

Pinocchio wasn't even in the game they named the character after the stupid book author and 'P' just means puppet dumbest idea ever just call him goddamn Pinocchio you hacks

but pronounce it ala italiano

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nice Van My Man posted:

No way, you actually are pinocchio. At one point you find a portrait of pinocchio painted by Dorian Gray and Gepetto hangs it up in his office. Every time you tell a lie the nose on the portrait grows and after enough lies (all of them maybe?) You can snap the nose off and use it as a weapon

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I like getting the ring that saves all your souls when you die but breaks, but it only costs 5000 to repair it so you basically get to be OP as hell and never lose souls more than 5000 whenever you die.

Ring is pointless. To get "OP as hell" you have to spend your souls, and if you're spending your souls losing a few every now and then makes virtually no difference. You can be even more OP by taking off that ring and putting on basically any other ring.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Are you fuckin serious what a ripoff

Is there at least a level where you turn into a donkey and your weapon is replaced with elaborate kick flips

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

No way, you actually are pinocchio. At one point you find a portrait of pinocchio painted by Dorian Gray and Gepetto hangs it up in his office. Every time you tell a lie the nose on the portrait grows and after enough lies (all of them maybe?) You can snap the nose off and use it as a weapon

Yeah but they're too cowardly to call you Pinocchio, you're just Carlo and the name Pinocchio is never said, not even in reference to the Pinocchio book that also for some reason exists in that universe. Really you're more of an Astro Boy anyway.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Are you fuckin serious what a ripoff

Is there at least a level where you turn into a donkey and your weapon is replaced with elaborate kick flips

There is a character named mad donkey that you fight and you get a donkey mask you can wear from them

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Pro tip: that ring also stops old bloodstains from disappearing. So you can run around normally without it and then only put it on after you die, for corpse runs. And you'll still never lose souls with much fewer repair costs.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah but they're too cowardly to call you Pinocchio, you're just Carlo and the name Pinocchio is never said, not even in reference to the Pinocchio book that also for some reason exists in that universe. Really you're more of an Astro Boy anyway.

I assume it's some hosed up licensing thing or just to avoid Disney's wrath

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Disney doesn't own Pinocchio. It's public domain and there are countless adaptations of it that came out both before and after Disney's movie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

i like textures too much to be on board with this

I mean, I love em too, I just like the whole atmosphere of that game and I didn't really like the later games making things feel so personal. I'd just as soon have everyone be robots or spirits or abstract so I don't need to ever think about the human logistics of this warfare.

That said, I watched a playthrough after that comment since setting it up to play today seemed like a hassle and I don't have an weird old fashioned pc joystick like my dad and grandpa has that I'd want anyway. The lack of textures is jarring, but absolutely functional in a very minimalist way. Without the HUD and not looking at a mech it might just be an image of a few bars of different flat colours and simple gradients.

Really what the main trouble is with it being textureless is they have also no shadows and the Mechs are all different sizes, you can't tell if something is really far away or just literally small.

There are times where tiny Mechs not much bigger than a human are meant to harass you out of drop ships or whatever, but they almost look like they normal large Mechs that are just clipping through the floor and falling through the floor and falling infinitely, but still visible. Then it's disorienting to approach them because they don't get much bigger like you'd expect and suddenly they're like underfoot and you have to awkwardly aim down at your invisible feet and near ground area.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

You've just sold me on the Timothy Chalamet game.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think they just thought it would be goofy or something if he was called Pinocchio? IDK, everyone else had the names. It's like in zombie movies or shows how they can't just call them zombies they have to make up some other stupid name.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pinocchio is so old that it entered the public domain the same year as the Disney movie, probably a deliberate choice on Disney's part so they wouldn't have to pay anyone for the IP

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

ymgve posted:

I assume it's some hosed up licensing thing or just to avoid Disney's wrath

Then how could we end up with gems like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ArXSwALDU&t=12s
too bad they couldn't snag Pauly Shore for Lies of P.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

I think they just thought it would be goofy or something if he was called Pinocchio? IDK, everyone else had the names. It's like in zombie movies or shows how they can't just call them zombies they have to make up some other stupid name.

Both to distingiush it from other Pinocchio things and also it's easier to say and write which is good for worldwide audiences.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I have no idea what Lies of P is but it's a really bad title and every time I read it my brain starts thinking 'Piss Don't Lie' to the tune of that Shakira song.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

In the game you get items to level up your 'P organ'

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nice Van My Man posted:

In the game you get items to level up your 'P organ'

So you level up your balls? Do they get bigger in-game when you level them up? Your answer will determine whether or not I buy this game to start playing immediately

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
4 hours into Baldurs Gate, and I gotta be honest, it doesn't seem that good.

I think there's a ton of effort there, and I find it very impressive, but I don't really see the game in it? It feels a bit like the old hitman games, where you scout an area to try and find alternatives to just going in hot, you find something you think is a clever and cool way to handle things, but then you do something like pick up a stone and suddenly the town goes hostile and you have to fight. Only, having to fight everyone feels very much like a 'fail state', you no longer get to pull off the cool poo poo, and the game just goes ALL IN on not allowing you anymore, like it's very much a binary "Sneakily do the cool thing" or "Nah, you triggered one of the myriad arbitrary bad-checks and now you've failed and have to fight", and the fighting is always definitely the easier version of events. Like, just walking up and starting a fight gets you to the solve state quicker than everything else, but, it's boring. And it feels like it's boring on purpose? I never really got that.

Yeah, sure, it's early doors, but so far it's doing more to annoy me than make me wanna play more.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

So you level up your balls? Do they get bigger in-game when you level them up? Your answer will determine whether or not I buy this game to start playing immediately

Its on Game Pass and the P-Organ is represented as circles you fill up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

!Klams posted:

Only, having to fight everyone feels very much like a 'fail state', you no longer get to pull off the cool poo poo, and the game just goes ALL IN on not allowing you anymore, like it's very much a binary "Sneakily do the cool thing" or "Nah, you triggered one of the myriad arbitrary bad-checks and now you've failed and have to fight", and the fighting is always definitely the easier version of events. Like, just walking up and starting a fight gets you to the solve state quicker than everything else, but, it's boring.

After a while, the devs stop doing this insanely high level of interactivity and smart solutions, and near the end of act 1, the entire game is basically walking up and starting a fight and there's no real choice past that beyond exactly where, when, and how you start the engagement to minimize which mobs of temporarily neutral npcs aggro you.

Like I keep saying. It's not a bad game. It does come out swinging, but in reality it's just another average infinity engine game clone except you have a Jump command. Which is more of a description than a criticism. But that also means it's kind of mundane.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 11, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

!Klams posted:

4 hours into Baldurs Gate, and I gotta be honest, it doesn't seem that good.

Well of course it doesn't, I'm just hearing about this "piss filling the p balls" leveling system from lies of p and now any game that doesn't have that system seems to be lacking

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

dunno how you can make a game about loving tieflings and dark elves boring but by golly they've done it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

George posted:

imagine making a whole video game about pinocchio and not doing the whale

Calm down McAfee