Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

cdc posted:

Because Trump is not talking to you, me or anybody in this thread. Yes, he's got major brain worms, but his message is directed at the chuds and rednecks who go "yeah, tractors and poo poo, oorah. USA! USA!".

They understand tractors and poo poo, but magnets? How do they work?

It doesn't make sense to us, but it makes sense to them. And that is all that matters.

Rereading that (and purposely taking it at face value), it’s fun to imagine that the only thing he knows about magnets is they stop working when you put them in a glass of water. He doesn’t know why or how or if a bucket would also stop them, he doesn’t even know what magnets do : but drat it, he knows a glass of water will stop a magnet dead in its tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

As I already mentioned, it has to be evaluated in the context of his umbrage vis-a-vis the well-known reliability issues for a system that is operating on water.

Or we could evaluate it based on other, similar statements he's made vis-a-vis technology such as:
1. Clean Coal exists
2. The F-35 is literally invisible.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
you dont quench magnets with water, you quench with energy drinks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Angry_Ed posted:

Or we could evaluate it based on other, similar statements he's made vis-a-vis technology such as:
1. Clean Coal exists

OK. Do you think when he said those it was due to age-related cognitive impairment?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

PhazonLink posted:

you dont quench magnets with water, you quench with energy drinks

It's what magnets crave.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

OK. Do you think when he said those it was due to age-related cognitive impairment?

That's immaterial to the point you're making that "magnets get wet = magnetic catapult stop working = trump is somehow correct"

When it's obvious that he knows jack loving poo poo. Or to put it another way:

Fart Amplifier posted:

Trump claims that magnets stop working if you put them in a glass of water and this has people arguing about magnetic catapults like Trump has the foggiest idea

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Angry_Ed posted:

1. Clean Coal exists

Yeah, he's an idiot. In a really familiar way of "heard a thing he didn't fully understand and was too intellectually incurious to look more into, but workshopped it into a cool factoid he could drop in conversation to show his knowledge or further an argument. Probably now believes it's the earnest truth." The thing lots of bullshitters and bar storytellers do, and that even happens around here often enough. It's not particularly age-related apart from how old men seem to be prone to do it on a social level. Trump definitely doesn't seem as well now as he did in 2016 but there are lots of possible reasons only some of which are neurological.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Angry_Ed posted:

That's immaterial to the point you're making that "magnets get wet = magnetic catapult stop working = trump is somehow correct"

It's not immaterial because the reason for this fork in the discussion is that someone introduced it as a whataboutism in the context of a discussion on age-related cognitive impairment, but you can't seem to see any further than this straw man "point" you have built up in your head.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Rereading that (and purposely taking it at face value), it’s fun to imagine that the only thing he knows about magnets is they stop working when you put them in a glass of water. He doesn’t know why or how or if a bucket would also stop them, he doesn’t even know what magnets do : but drat it, he knows a glass of water will stop a magnet dead in its tracks.

And that's just the thing. It doesn't matter if Trump is willing lying or just is that stupid. What matters is that his followers loving eat it up.

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
I’m Danish and almost 50 years old. I’ve been interested in politics and global history almost all my life as long as I can remember.

I obviously can’t remember when Reagan got elected the first time myself, but I can remember (when I was in my early teens) thinking it was weird that you guys elected this old B list actor as president.

Then we went through the Bush’s, and I thought well, these guys (especially Bush jr.) sure are stupid and/or evil, but at least they respected the US democracy and more or less held up the world order.

But now…

Europe is basically close to being hosed. Nobody has any military left because we were stupid, and Putin is doing his thing.

I know this is very selfish, but if Trump wins and pulls out of NATO (as he has promised to do), we are up poo poo creek without a paddle.

I don’t know what I’m really saying here. I just hope that sanity in the US will somehow prevail, but the authorities in Sweden, Norway. Finland, and Germany have started to encourage people to start stoking up on supplies if the war comes.

Of course the Danish government hasn’t done that because they don’t want to alarm people (and they’re morons), but I’m gonna start keeping some water and canned food around.

I think I’m just saying, please, please, please people of the US don’t vote for Trump (or stay home). Vote for Biden, even if he is supporting Israel. Even if he is too old. Even if he is dead and they're doing a weekend at Bernies thing. The alternative is so much worse.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

D-Pad posted:

I feel like the more his age becomes an issue the more likely they are to replace Harris with someone more liked (lol I don't know who) because that's really the only response they could do even if it's a half assed one. Basically saying ok you are worried about Biden's age, here's a VP candidate you'd be happy with taking over if it comes down to it.

Replacing Biden would of caused a Democratic Civil War as Newsome and Harris would of claimed whatever apparatus is there. Biden can't hand the Presidency to her as it makes Harris look illegitimate. The only way, morbidly admittedly, that Harris gets a boost and a shot to win in 2024 is if Biden dies between now and election day.

Also, Nikki Haley tried the age argument and it didn't drive anyone to vote for her in droves.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

RBA Starblade posted:

That won't work, everyone knows it's called Weekend at Bernie's

Bernie for veep, that way he has incentive to stay bidens body at his place.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

mawarannahr posted:

It's not immaterial because the reason for this fork in the discussion is that someone introduced it as a whataboutism in the context of a discussion on age-related cognitive impairment, but you can't seem to see any further than this straw man "point" you have built up in your head.

Your original defense was to state that it was correct and not mindboggling stupid. That you have since retreated from one point to another hoping to eventually settle on one that sticks while refusing to acknowledge your previous failed arguments is what I'd say is most material here. Your original counterclaim was effectively debunked, and this attempt to move the goalposts without admitting as such is simply exhausting and makes you seem dishonest, so, you know. Par for the course for people defending Trumps idiocy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think I’m getting the argument (please, correct me if not) and it’s not that Trump doesn’t have cognitive deficits, it’s that he doesn’t (necessarily) have cognitive decline because he’s been this dumb for decades.

Which, of course, if true, shows how loving pointless it is to crow about Biden's decline. Biden could be so far gone into dementia that he'd lost bowel function and he'd still be outperforming Trump at any point the orange idiot has held elective office.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Robviously posted:

It's what magnets crave.

Perfection.gif

But yeah Trump thought hurricanes could be stopped by firing nukes into them. Even if Biden is impaired by declining cognition due to age, he's not even on the same plane as Trump in terms of pure idiocy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GlyphGryph posted:

Your original defense was to state that it was correct and not mindboggling stupid. That you have since retreated from one point to another hoping to eventually settle on one that sticks while refusing to acknowledge your previous failed arguments is what I'd say is most material here. Your original counterclaim was effectively debunked, and this attempt to move the goalposts without admitting as such is simply exhausting and makes you seem dishonest, so, you know. Par for the course for people defending Trumps idiocy.

He was responding to someone else originally who was saying Trump didn't know what day it was or how magnets works because of his mental decline. I don't think the OP was being totally literal, but mawarannahr was indeed responding to someone else talking about mental decline specifically and Trump was talking about the plane launching system specifically.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I'm not entirely sure Trump has shown signs of mental decline, inasmuch as he started at the bottom of the fuckin moron barrel to begin with

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

cdc posted:

I’m Danish and almost 50 years old. I’ve been interested in politics and global history almost all my life as long as I can remember.

I obviously can’t remember when Reagan got elected the first time myself, but I can remember (when I was in my early teens) thinking it was weird that you guys elected this old B list actor as president.

Then we went through the Bush’s, and I thought well, these guys (especially Bush jr.) sure are stupid and/or evil, but at least they respected the US democracy and more or less held up the world order.

But now…

Europe is basically close to being hosed. Nobody has any military left because we were stupid, and Putin is doing his thing.

I know this is very selfish, but if Trump wins and pulls out of NATO (as he has promised to do), we are up poo poo creek without a paddle.

I don’t know what I’m really saying here. I just hope that sanity in the US will somehow prevail, but the authorities in Sweden, Norway. Finland, and Germany have started to encourage people to start stoking up on supplies if the war comes.

Of course the Danish government hasn’t done that because they don’t want to alarm people (and they’re morons), but I’m gonna start keeping some water and canned food around.

I think I’m just saying, please, please, please people of the US don’t vote for Trump (or stay home). Vote for Biden, even if he is supporting Israel. Even if he is too old. Even if he is dead and they're doing a weekend at Bernies thing. The alternative is so much worse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Riptor posted:

I'm not entirely sure Trump has shown signs of mental decline, inasmuch as he started at the bottom of the fuckin moron barrel to begin with

Watch Trump interviews from the 80's.

This one from Oprah in 1988 shows him making the same wild claims about trade and weird ideas that he makes today, but he is clearly much more cogent. There is an obvious decline, but he is almost 80, so it isn't surprising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPs17_AkTI

Watch Biden from 2007 when he was slamming Rudy Guiliani during debates. He is clearly more energetic and mentally quick.

Here is a speech from 2012 where he is speaking off-script for 20 minutes extremely cogently and even pretty beautifully discussing the transformative aspect of experiencing grief to parents with dead kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwZ6UfXm410

Biden has always mixed up names, told stories that were impossible due to time periods/people being dead, and randomly lost his train of thought while speaking.

He still does those things and they aren't necessarily indicative of any mental decline, but there is clearly a decline in energy and cogency from 15 years ago.

Trump always said crazy things, made up obvious lies about what people said to him, and rambled incoherently.

He still does those things and they aren't necessarily indicative of any mental decline, but there is clearly a decline in energy and cogency from even 8 years ago.

Both of them are around 80 and both of them are clearly less cogent and energetic than they were before. I don't think either of them are clearly diagnosable with dementia or anything like that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

When Biden messes up a name, it's a new problem that shows he has "handlers" and is basically a vegetable. When Trump messes up a name he's always done that and you are just creating strawmen. It's the same "Republicans get a free pass on everything so I can yell about how Dems are bad and the worst endlessly" arguments it always is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think I’m getting the argument (please, correct me if not) and it’s not that Trump doesn’t have cognitive deficits, it’s that he doesn’t (necessarily) have cognitive decline because he’s been this dumb for decades.

my view of trump is that age/stress/etc has brought out all his more hosed up qualities and made them way way worse. i do think there is some cognative decline there too but trump was always like this, he could just hide it better.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

socialsecurity posted:

When Biden messes up a name, it's a new problem that shows he has "handlers" and is basically a vegetable. When Trump messes up a name he's always done that and you are just creating strawmen. It's the same "Republicans get a free pass on everything so I can yell about how Dems are bad and the worst endlessly" arguments it always is.

kinda this. I think biden has alot of policy issues which have been touched on over and over but I dont think he is some drooling moron who is being coached into saying poo poo. I have listened to enough of his interviews that he clearly understands poo poo and can make arguments and explain in depth. the worst i see in him is stuff i have seen with my dad post stroke where it takes him a second for stuff to click and will slip out wrong words/names sometimes when in a conversation. i am not saying biden has stroke symptoms, more that he just kinda reminds me of my dad with those kinda slip ups.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't think either of them are clearly diagnosable with dementia or anything like that.

IANAD(octor) so I can't make a clinical diagnosis. Best I've got is experience with family members. Trump, to me, is bang-on for dementia. That hosed up stance he stands in and the loss of vocabulary coupled with the type of word substitution he uses are air raid sirens to me that he's on the down slope.

He's always talked like an absolute dumb gently caress, don't get me wrong. There's a specific flavor though that develops for dementia where the vocabulary gets these gaping holes that get substituted with more generic, lower grade-level stuff that is just weirdly out of synch. For him it's everything being "beautiful" and "strong" when that has no place in the sentence.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was responding to someone else originally who was saying Trump didn't know what day it was or how magnets works because of his mental decline.

sure, but his actual defense was that Trump wasnt actually being dumb about magnets but had a point, not that he's always been stupid. His counterclaim can be wrong even if hes responding to a claim that is also wrong.

I am just sick of people bending over backwards to talk about how Trump is technically, or broadly, or vaguely correct when hes just not, especially in a conversation where Biden is getting criticized for something where that rhetoric would actually make sense but you never see it.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

cdc posted:

But now…

A lot of us understand this and know that normally left-leaning people not voting for Biden often comes from a place of extreme privilege. This is true even when people bring up Gaza, since Trump would be even worse on the issue. Putin is dangerous, must be stopped, and the way to do that is to arm Ukraine and have full Democratic control of the government. Trump would be worse on absolutely everything.

cdc
May 28, 2007

So you'd rather have Trump?

There are no alternatives here. It's a binary thing as hosed up as that is. But seriously?

edit: I know I'm privileged. In Denmark I can choose between 10-12 different parties when I vote, and although they all move around a bit there is usually somebody I can vote for without feeling too dirty.

But IMHO in this situation, you just have to take a bite of the poo poo sandwich. Because boring half dead guy vs. full on fash is not that hard a choice.

cdc fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 11, 2024

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

They're going to send a message to the establishment that no one will hear and no one will care about that they can vote for someone else, regardless of the risks, thereby

Nah, they'll vote for Joe.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The only thing Trump has ever been right about is exercise being bad for you because your body is like a battery that just runs out out juice

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don't think that Russia would be stupid enough, or have the kind of resources needed to finish off Ukraine and then attack another European country. Like I don't disagree that Trump being back in office would be bad for tons of reasons, but I am skeptical that Putin is going to be able to manage taking over Ukraine and then expanding the war further.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Delthalaz posted:

The only thing Trump has ever been right about is exercise being bad for you because your body is like a battery that just runs out out juice

Surprisingly this only true for the exercise of posting

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't think that Russia would be stupid enough, or have the kind of resources needed to finish off Ukraine and then attack another European country. Like I don't disagree that Trump being back in office would be bad for tons of reasons, but I am skeptical that Putin is going to be able to manage taking over Ukraine and then expanding the war further.

Yeah well a lot of us never expected the entire Republican Party to go full traitor and here we are. At some point people need to wake the gently caress up and recognize that by refusing to support the least awful choice only allows the more awful to prevail.

And there is no loving bottom for how awful they will go.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

cdc posted:

So you'd rather have Trump?

There are no alternatives here. It's a binary thing as hosed up as that is. But seriously?

edit: I know I'm privileged. In Denmark I can choose between 10-12 different parties when I vote, and although they all move around a bit there is usually somebody I can vote for without feeling too dirty.

But IMHO in this situation, you just have to take a bite of the poo poo sandwich. Because boring half dead guy vs. full on fash is not that hard a choice.

Based on their post history they live in Washington (the state), which is about as likely to break for Trump as Trump is to run a marathon. So it really doesn't matter who they vote for for president.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Shammypants posted:

They're going to send a message to the establishment that no one will hear and no one will care about that they can vote for someone else, regardless of the risks, thereby

Nah, they'll vote for Joe.

Lmao are you seriously promulgating a ‘shy Biden voter’ theory

That’s fascinating

E-

cdc posted:

Biden isn’t “boring” lol he’s a full-throated psycho of a breed that is honestly mostly gone from American politics; his is a bloodlust that a soft prissy egoist like trump can only put on as a costume

Big T is definitely hungry for it and posted some huge numbers in a very short career, yes, but Biden is indisputably the candidate going into this election wearing the championship belt for most people immiserated and biggest damage dealt to any hope of a bright progressive future

His extremely outsize role in quashing school integration alone, my god

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 11, 2024

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Living within striking distance of the russian border in a country that Russia and its local stooges actually killed hundreds of people 25 months ago, were just barely past the memorials, I support politicians that take opposing Russia seriously, but also lol at EU members who seriously think they’ll be next. No, this vast border and 21% russian population and immense oil resources are next. Sorry Finland.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Lmao are you seriously promulgating a ‘shy Biden voter’ theory

That’s fascinating

the Stuttering Majority

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Pikavangelist posted:

Based on their post history they live in Washington (the state), which is about as likely to break for Trump as Trump is to run a marathon. So it really doesn't matter who they vote for for president.

This always feels like kind of a rhetorical cop-out. If it doesn't matter who you individually vote for, then either you should stop making it the focus of conversation or you should acknowledge that you're talking about it because you seek to influence other people to vote like you do. Those other people, on a site like SA, mostly will not live in the same state/district/whatever you do and so your influencing them absolutely does matter.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

This always feels like kind of a rhetorical cop-out. If it doesn't matter who you vote for, then either you should stop making it the focus of conversation or you should acknowledge that you're talking about it because you seek to influence other people to vote like you do. Those other people, on a site like SA, mostly will not live in the same state/district/whatever you do and so your influencing them absolutely does matter.

Yeah the point of bringing it up is to try to shame people who vote for Biden. It's a pointless purity test thing that exists to start arguments.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I have a wife and a daughter, and also other women I care about, so I'm going to vote straight ticket Dem until I die. The Democrats may sort of suck, but to paraphrase an author I enjoy, you have to work with the tools that you have.

cdc
May 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Putin has straight up said that he wants Russia back to where the Soviet Union used to be. If he has even a slight success in Ukraine he's going to gently caress with the Baltics next.

If the US stops supporting Ukraine, Europe is unfortunately (due to our own stupidity) not able to hold him back there.

His next move will be to apply the same tactics in the Baltics (we have to protect the Russian minority), and because they are NATO members we either have WW3, or NATO completely crumbles (or maybe both). And because he's got around 5000 nukes it doesn't really matter that the Russian army is poo poo.

This timeline is so retarded but it is what is.

No-one believed Russia would annex Crimea.

No-one believed Trump would be the republican candidate.

No-one believed Trump would win the election.

No-one believed Russia would invade Ukraine.

But that poo poo all happened, and now we're standing on the edge of a cliff, hoping somehow that even if we do nothing, everything will be all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

There's already been lots of people digging up videos of Trump and others making similar gaffes. If this wasn't a press conference made so Biden could get angry about people questioning his memory, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Not disputing that, I assume Trump is worse than Biden on all accounts even if I haven't seen anything about the guy since he stopped being president. Just piped into the thread since this is the first time in, like, two years that I've even had to think about Joe Biden and I found the gaffe kind of insulting. Not in the sense that I think it's bad comparing us to Egypt, but it wasn't even a comparison: it was just mixing up one brown people country for another. Honestly wanted to vent a little since this sort of casual racism kinda gets my goat a bit. Like, in this context, you do get how "Trump and others making similar gaffes" doesn't make it better, right? Haven't seen the other mix ups but I'm gonna assume they're not calling Justin Trudeau the prime minister of Sudan or anything like that. Because, based on one of the articles that was posted, Biden can clearly recall German chancellors perfectly (other than the fact that they're dead) but apparently not mixing up the president of one of your largest trading partners with one of the key countries neighboring your genocidal ally as that whole clusterfuck keeps exploding is a big ask.

Again, just venting a bit. You're right that it won't matter for the election since that's far away enough and gringos are fine with this level of racism and apparently both candidates do it. Me and a couple of other mexicans I know are kind of annoyed by it but in the end it doesn't matter since we're from a different country and we got elections of our own to worry about this year so we'll forget it soon enough.

For what it's worth, I was intentionally inflamatory when I called him a retard and I do apologize for that even if no one brought attention to it. The word I should've used is senile and I still stand by the fact that it being a case of senility would be way prefereable than it being a case of just plain racism.