Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

net work error posted:

Snack Basue has only adults and jokes plus karaoke

I keep watching Basue even though I often feel like I don't understand half the jokes at all. Gonna keep watching it, though.

Morita's also a loving creep but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Girl fantasy is making new friends and forging meaningful relationships with new and strange people.

Boy fantasy is killing new and strange people to buy slaves.

I just got an email from Seven Seas saying they licensed this manga, where does it fall?

quote:

Talk about your extreme career changes! Naruse Soushi, a single, middle-aged man and private secretary to a politician, lies on the verge of death. Meanwhile, in another world, the princess knight Reina is about to lose her life. The princess’s soul is removed—and Naruse is summoned into the empty husk of her body! Reincarnated as a beautiful young woman, this man is doomed to the fate of…working at a yuri brothel! Does he have what it takes to succeed?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Captian Kil posted:

Watched the first 4 or so episodes and they have a total of 5-6 young girls all interested in the main character in one way or another. It is garbage. You have a guy maneuvering an other world fantasy conflict and a underground psychic war. Why is that not interesting enough? Why add this creep poo poo into it?

I loving hate that poo poo where its one guy and all the girls seem to gravitate around him. Its such a loving common wish fulfilment trope.

Im Ok when it happens and all the girls just happen to not have any interest in the guy like what happens originally in Konosuba and with Chaika.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I loving hate that poo poo where its one guy and all the girls seem to gravitate around him. Its such a loving common wish fulfilment trope.

Im Ok when it happens and all the girls just happen to not have any interest in the guy like what happens originally in Konosuba and with Chaika.

yes its called harem genre and you are supposed to ignore it exists

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
90% of anime is weird wish fulfillment now because Japan's society is apparently a stress nightmare so everyone wants to die, go to another world and just luck into having a harem

I hope Japan finds its way so that they can make other genres again

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

thats what happens when capitalism removes any ability to plan for or control your own future though, america has reality tv instead of anime tho

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
peeps is a great concept and first episode let down by not really having anything else and, yes, a bunch of underage girls all wanting the main character to give them attention and love in a way that, while not strictly speaking pedophilic, is definitely a wish fulfillment trope for "libertarians"

plus, cute bird

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Gripweed posted:

I just got an email from Seven Seas saying they licensed this manga, where does it fall?

lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Gripweed posted:

This might be the most transphobic thing I’ve ever read. it’s like “men invading women’s spaces” was someone’s fetish.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
All the female characters in The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic are great, even when (especially when) they're terrible.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah ive been reading dandadan and it's pretty good, kinda the flcl to chainsaw man's evangelion, but it's also really turning into a harem kinda thing with the tiny kid protagonists

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
When I heard Science Saru was doing an anime of that I thought about reading the manga, but then I remembered Science Saru was doing an anime of it so I should probably just wait for the anime.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Science Saru's production of Heike Monogatari is tremendous, if anyone hasn't seen that yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scarabrae posted:

yes its called harem genre and you are supposed to ignore it exists

On rare occasions you end up with things that have cool elements but are "infected" by the harem, like Re:Zero (I dislike pretty much all romance elements of that series - none of the pairings are good, including Rem). That's not very common, though; normally stuff with harems is just straight-up bad so it's not exactly a dilemma where it's "ruining something."

Speaking of Re: Zero, I appreciate that it's one of the only isekai stories where the young protagonist actually thinks about their parents (who they had an actual relationship with) and acknowledges that they'll never see their family again. That's almost always missing from those stories in a way that is really bizarre.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah ive been reading dandadan and it's pretty good, kinda the flcl to chainsaw man's evangelion, but it's also really turning into a harem kinda thing with the tiny kid protagonists

This is another good example. I enjoy it in spite of that, but it still sucks that it's a thing.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

just realized Now and Then, Here and There is an isekai

:wow:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Science Saru's production of Heike Monogatari is tremendous, if anyone hasn't seen that yet.

It was a very good watch

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I like the karate isekai manga because it's just the authors excuse to nerd out about martial arts and medieval social dynamics

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Watching isekai when Bravern is on smdh!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Re: Zero, I appreciate that it's one of the only isekai stories where the young protagonist actually thinks about their parents (who they had an actual relationship with) and acknowledges that they'll never see their family again. That's almost always missing from those stories in a way that is really bizarre.

I think it's weird how there's no isekais where the character is upset about getting world-swapped and wants nothing more than to go back to their own world. That's probably how I'd react in that situation.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

I think it's weird how there's no isekais where the character is upset about getting world-swapped and wants nothing more than to go back to their own world. That's probably how I'd react in that situation.

I just provided an example of one

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

net work error posted:

Watching isekai when Bravern is on smdh!

coming from space to earth is an isekai

Bro Dad posted:

I like the karate isekai manga because it's just the authors excuse to nerd out about martial arts and medieval social dynamics

name

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

karate survivor in another world, though I would read an official translation because mangadex only has machine scanlations

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

like the first thing that happens is the karate man slays a monster, which results in the nearby village trying to kill him so they can sell off the parts

or the biggest recurring danger to him that he's saving money instead immediately spending it and so attracts the negative attention of every bandit/noble nearby

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

The reason itself is pretty easy to understand - the protagonist is a self-insert and you're not supposed to sweat the details. If they had a clearly defined Earth life, it'd be harder to treat them as a self-insert. But it does make the stories far worse. In Re:Zero it actually explains why the protagonist was mostly disconnected from his Earth life (he didn't even attend school in the months/years leading up to his isekai-ing), but he was close with his parents (who are both great and have distinct personalities that clearly influenced the protagonist's personality and behavior).

I felt so bad for his parents at the end of that part. From their perspective their only child just disappeared forever.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Truck-kun specifically seeks out the most pathetic, desperate examples of humanity who will miss no one and no one will miss. Sometimes he messes up but nobody’s perfect

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I. M. Gei posted:

Witch’s Printing Office. The whole plot is that the girl wants to find a spell that will send her home. But rather than search the world for it, she creates a magical convention where magic-users can show off their new spells, in the hopes that eventually the spell she needs will come to her.

It’s a very fun little series.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Isekai Ojisan was about an uncle wanting to un-isekai so he could play Sega games.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

I. M. Gei posted:

That’s part of what makes it isekai and not an earlier pre-isekai world hopping story though. It’s not strictly mandatory but it’s part of the “checklist”.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I always thought it was funny that all isekais rely on a conception of a immortal soul. whereas really you’d be told “no luck, you’re a copy”

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the funniest thing about isekais is the conceit that readers would be any less of a freaky loser in the fantasy land compared to their own

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

it's like fascists thinking if only they were in ancient Rome they'd be worshiped like gods

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

karate survivor in another world, though I would read an official translation because mangadex only has machine scanlations

Thought you were going to mention the superior martial artist isekai

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Buck Wildman posted:

the funniest thing about isekais is the conceit that readers would be any less of a freaky loser in the fantasy land compared to their own

the only isekai I've seen where the main character's intense popularity has been justified is one where a polite Japanese doctor gets teleported to a world with medieval healthcare standards and begins providing his services and teaching free of charge

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

kemono michi ftw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Homeless Friend posted:

I always thought it was funny that all isekais rely on a conception of a immortal soul. whereas really you’d be told “no luck, you’re a copy”

That's not true. Plenty of Isekai have people just physically teleported to the other world, like El Hazard or the previously mentioned Witch's Printing Office.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Basically, more people should read Witch's Printing Office

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Whirling posted:

the only isekai I've seen where the main character's intense popularity has been justified is one where a polite Japanese doctor gets teleported to a world with medieval healthcare standards and begins providing his services and teaching free of charge
Seems hazardous. Healthcare isn't always a sure thing, can cause side effects, and even in modern times we have plenty of people who pretend proven treatments are a scam or that medicine is actually poison that will make you sick.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whirling posted:

Ascendancy of a Bookworm.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Whirling posted:

Otherworldly Isekai Nobu and Restaurant to Another World both feature chefs becoming famous and beloved for introducing modern Japanese pub food to medieval European worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

I would. Jealous?