Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Professor Beetus posted:

So, you need the new game but all your dlc would be available. Downside being that you can't transfer licenses anymore for the discs, so if you haven't done that to bring your disc songs over from 1 -> 2 -> 3 already you're sol. Also they didn't make enough adapters so those are literally hundred(s?) of dollars if you want to use your old instruments. The good news is that epic has licensed out new plastic instruments that are coming soon as a result of the fortnite rock band thing, bad news being they have officially ended dlc for rock band 4 so they can do their stupid rock band in fortnite poo poo. Also epic made you do some stupid account thing for them in order to have your leaderboards, and got rid of the built in leaderboards that were perfectly fine.

Fwiw I have more music in rock band than I will ever need, so rock band 4 on my series x is really nice, because it loads fast and works exactly as it should. But epic sucks poo poo and other than making new instruments I think every other decision they've made is god awful. if you can fix your 360 or get a new one I'd recommend that for rock band purposes tbh.

Gaming rules, and is epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

This is exactly what he would say if Microsoft wasn't going to make consoles anymore

Microsoft put their flagship productivity software on the Mac ages ago, I don’t see why they wouldn’t love to sell more copies on PS5 and Switch, I absolutely believe they would. They’re already on Steam! Makes perfect sense imo, just another sales channel

I don’t believe they’d get out of the hardware business, it sounds ridiculous at this point with millions of installed systems.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Miss my modded 360, tbh I miss the case the most. Too beautiful for this word

https://www.bit-tech.net/previews/tech/cases/first-look-lian-li-xb01-xbox-360-case/1/

-edit -
Just noticed that article says it cost £63. Like gently caress it did. Closer to £200 iirc, or about the same as the actual machine.
Worth it.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 10, 2024

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

some real 'the manager has the full support of the board' vibes right there

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Gaming rules, and is epic

Bone Crimes posted:

Thanks for this. Christ what a mess. What an amazing way to screw over your dedicated fans. I think I am leaning to just fixing my current Xbox, and maybe picking up another working 360, to limp along for a few more years. Why do they never make enough converters? They had this problem too when I wanted to use my 360 controllers on the pc and they were essentially unobtainium even when they came out. I did move over the licenses from 1-2->3, so I have that at least.

And this. I do most of my gaming on PC on a big screen, so if I was going to put some effort into rebuilding a RockBand system, it probably would be best to do this.

Yeah for real. And it sucks because I was probably one of the last 5 people paying them money regularly for new dlc, and probably would have forever as long as they kept crapping out songs

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
i've mainly been using the series x for the calculator app and frankly i don't think anybody uses it for much else

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

spaceblancmange posted:

some real 'the manager has the full support of the board' vibes right there

Nah, that would Satya Nadella announcing that he and the board have great confidence in Phil’s leadership and look forward to working with him in the coming years

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I use my series S to play 480p versions of all the Shrek movies my uncle gave me on a USB thumb drive. I'm sorry Phillip

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

They still make new revisions of the Surface, even though the best version of MS Office ever made is on the iPad.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The x360 came out like 20 years ago. If you’re still using that poo poo it’s your fault Xbox is dying. Tim’s coming for you.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

SUNKOS posted:

i really hope that they announce gears 6 this year

It’s gonna be a PlayStation 6 launch title

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

The x360 came out like 20 years ago. If you’re still using that poo poo it’s your fault Xbox is dying. Tim’s coming for you.

Are you trying to make me feel bad or good?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

I also have a fat PS3 that still works. It's so shiny and looks expensive. I think the best looking 360 was the 360S. One of my kids is playing Lego Star Wars on it right now.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 11, 2024

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Substandard posted:

My personal theory is that they are going to just make a console interface for Windows 12 and make some windows 12 boxes that are designed to hook up to a TV and get out of the specific "console generation" game.

This would also help them compete with things like the steam deck by making the windows interface not suck for windows based handhelds.

They can't even make a Windows interface that doesn't suck on an actual PC.

Windows 11 has regressed a ton of poo poo with the UI because middle managers run everything at Microsoft know and refuse any input from their employees that actually understand how humans interface with software.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

the 360 was an awesome console and still has some great exclusives. It's Phil's fault I can't play Bangai-O HD on my Series X.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

She Bangai my O until I 360.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

univbee posted:

They can't even make a Windows interface that doesn't suck on an actual PC.

Windows 11 has regressed a ton of poo poo with the UI because middle managers run everything at Microsoft know and refuse any input from their employees that actually understand how humans interface with software.

They tried to copy MacOS and ended up copying the bad parts

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Don’t worry guys the next one will be good like all even numbered windows

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

They tried to copy MacOS and ended up copying the bad parts

Funnily enough macOS is now copying Vista

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Sounds like these OS’ are pieces of poo poo. anyone know an epic forum where I can discuss these matters further?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
The product page is up for the Dark Forces remaster. Just two-and-a-half more weeks to go. :hellyeah:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Still have my original Xbox on a dusty shelf, come at me Tim.
It was used mainly for xbmc streaming of 720 videos for many years.
Even have one of those massive gamepads that it came with for a while. It's chonky

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

The product page is up for the Dark Forces remaster. Just two-and-a-half more weeks to go. :hellyeah:

looks good but i'll be copping on switch

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have two Xbox 360s, both are the original form factor but I can’t remember if one or both are minor refreshes

One of them is modded, but is now banned from online

The unmodded one has a dying optical drive. Can I just transplant the optical drive from the modded one into the unmodded one?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Bone Crimes posted:

ok, so if I went with an Xbone, or a series X, I'd have to buy the new console, new game, an adapter, and transfer the licenses to the new console? But I could still D/L all my previous DLC (that was compatible with RB3)? Is it just the old wired guitars that don't work? Cause the mics are wired.... Do they have wireless mics now?

Oh. I assumed you would have a previous or current gen console.
The new DLC songs went Rock Band 4 exclusive back when it was released.

All your song DLC and any disc transfers (Rock band 1, 2, lego, Green day, AC/DC) you've done previously should work on your Rock band 4
You're 3-4 years too late to do a Rock band 3 -> 4 disc transfer. Individual songs from old games (except Beatles) should be available to purchase though.

Wired mics and wireless mics work fine, it's just old Xbox 360 instruments that are borked.
Xbone guitars/drums work straight out of box, but their availability is pretty bad at the moment.
There seems to be a new guitar controller coming for Fortnite (of all things), that should Rock band 4 compatible.

But yeah. If you have only 360 and don't want RB4 DLC, fixing your console or getting a new Xbox 360 seems smartest thing to do.
If you had asked same thing 5 years ago, I'd be 100% recommending migrating to Rock Band 4.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

More Rock Band 3.

You don't need a modded 360 to play custom songs. If you have old enough disc version of the game.
You can play custom charted songs from an usb stick, but you need to keep your console offline (so it doesn't update your game)
There's guides for doing this on the internets.
Lot of great songs that never saw light of the day on rock band games. You like Genesis? Some madman charted 90+ songs.
Queen? yes. Michael Jackson? yes. Yes? yes.
Lot of great classic and newer songs.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 11, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
We have a thread for this conversation. It’s called the Xbox 360 thread.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Chillmatic posted:

We have a thread for this conversation. It’s called the Xbox 360 thread.

Or Rock Band thread. Still going strong.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Issaries posted:

Or Rock Band thread. Still going strong.

Whoosh

But on a serious note, the rock band 4 thread is still fairly active and really knowledgeable on all the quirks around licenses and systems and dlc.

Personally, I'd grab a used 360 to play right now and then repair the broken one when I felt like it. Then there would be a backup for swapping between, repairing when I felt like, or even harvesting for parts.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

I have two Xbox 360s, both are the original form factor but I can’t remember if one or both are minor refreshes

One of them is modded, but is now banned from online

The unmodded one has a dying optical drive. Can I just transplant the optical drive from the modded one into the unmodded one?

Afraid not, the drive is locked to the motherboard.
Only way around it is to mod it

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Charles Martel posted:

We better get that cheesy-assed live actors doing stuff,

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Remulak posted:

We better get that cheesy-assed live actors doing stuff,

There were no live action cutscenes in dark forces

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

90sgamer posted:

There were no live action cutscenes in dark forces

Now in Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight... :sickos:

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Dark Forces was weird in that the first game had animated cinematic, the second game had fmv, and the third game and spinoff had in game cutscenes. They should just redo all of them with anime. I heard that’s what the kids like

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

90sgamer posted:

Dark Forces was weird in that the first game had animated cinematic, the second game had fmv, and the third game and spinoff had in game cutscenes. They should just redo all of them with anime. I heard that’s what the kids like

I miss the days when Lucasarts made games that pushed boundaries. Like Lucasfilm, the thing itself might not be brilliant but they showed you something you hadn't seen before.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Bring back FMV cutscenes!

I do not care how cheesy they are.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljKTQ8-ZzEY

One year after True Lies

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The best FVM game is Red Alert 3 because you get the full spectrum experience from Tim Curry who understands that the job is to chew scenery like its never been chewed before and loves it, other decent actors who don't quite get the essay question and are just playing the script straight, and a bunch of C-listers who have no idea what they are doing and are just trying earnestly.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Hell yeah! Thats the type of things I want! :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Alchenar posted:

The best FVM game is Red Alert 3 because you get the full spectrum experience from Tim Curry who understands that the job is to chew scenery like its never been chewed before and loves it, other decent actors who don't quite get the essay question and are just playing the script straight, and a bunch of C-listers who have no idea what they are doing and are just trying earnestly.

https://youtu.be/g1Sq1Nr58hM?si=uvr5DkD36EHNoxBu