Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

cock hero flux posted:

i was honestly a bit disappointed here. the fight was the easiest thing i've had in the game so far, literally just had fuuka scan weaknesses and then hit them and did all out attacks and had it wrapped up in a couple of turns. this is on merciless and I didn't feel overleveled. they also changed the way the prior scene is setup. in the original the emperor shadow actually has mitsuru picked up and throws her down when fuuka brings out her persona, and yukari also looks injured, but in this they were both kinda just sitting there and the shadows were just standing around

In the original you didn't even really have to engage with the gimmick because the original set of weaknesses were both broad and extremely easy to guess, is more my point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

This feels like a side effect of the original game only having the instant kill spells for light and dark. Those were only worth gambling on if an enemy was only weak to those elements and even then it was still a shaky proposition

You could easily do a random encounter-clearing build focused on the later tier death spells with the respective boost passive. I remember getting through quite a few floors spamming DIE FOR ME. Not so incentivized to do that now that you have arcana drawing though since you won't do any all out attacks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Some quick party overviews up to my point in time (early September, right before the Full Moon):

Yukari: same old Yukari. Now has Sukunda so she's not dead weight if the boss resists Wind.
Junpei: Really solid now since he gets actual group attacks decently early and also learns Maragi so weakness fishing is no longer annoying with him. Aigis and Shinjiro kinda show him up a bit, but he has a less common weakness compared to Aigis and slightly better single target focus.
Akihiko: less busy now since other party members can cover his debuffs. Gets Elec Boost reasonably early compared to the rest. Also finally learns a second physical skill (Gigantic Fist). Mostly a safe pick just for Tarunda and Diarama but lower Magic compared to Mitsuru.
Mitsuru: main reason to bring her is Rakunda for more offense (and it'll raise her Theurgy too). Has Eerie Sound along with Marin Karin and Tentarafoo if you want to go status, otherwise is still just Mitsuru. Lost Diarama and learns Ice Boost weirdly late, so her damage ends up kinda on par despite learning Bufula very early.
Aigis: It's Aigis. Hasn't changed too much so far from original, took Cruel Attack from Ken over Fatal End. Orgia Mode is now tied to her Theurgy so it can be a bit risky if you need to control her actions. Now has Diarama so she's not just sitting there against physical resistant enemies.
Koromaru: got a huge revamp thanks to getting Eigaon, Rebellion and Getsu-ei, meaning he can now hit Dark weaknesses more reliably and has an actual physical attack for when his SP gets low (and it's a good one since more often than not you're fighting near a Full Moon). Really excellent Theurgy that gives the entire party Charge, so it's kinda abusable but also he has a tougher time gaining it in boss fights since he wants to hit weaknesses. Will probably have difficulty fitting everything in like the original.
Ken: Has more of a spellcasting bent now since he lost Cruel Attack, but starts off already with Kougaon so he can dish out good damage. Theurgy is kinda interesting since it goes up when he's below half SP. Otherwise, he's just Ken.
Shinjiro: really good, his exclusive move is great. Theurgy goes up very quickly since it just wants him to be below half health. Crits often, hits really hard. Safe pick as a damage dealer since he has no weaknesses as long as you can keep him below half health but not dead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It always comes off as kind of unintentionally sus/insidious how each S-link level-up ends with "_____ is starting to trust me more..." or "_____ is grateful towards me..."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

It always comes off as kind of unintentionally sus/insidious how each S-link level-up ends with "_____ is starting to trust me more..." or "_____ is grateful towards me..."

I prefer that to the game just straight up telling you "Your relationship is closer now!" every single rank like in FES

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

do the jack frost dolls stop being available from the crane game? I didn't do the request at the time because it didn't have an expiry date but it seems like all I can get from the crane game are ganesha banks now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If it's like FES, they rotate in and out

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cock hero flux posted:

do the jack frost dolls stop being available from the crane game? I didn't do the request at the time because it didn't have an expiry date but it seems like all I can get from the crane game are ganesha banks now

Looking it up and it says you might need to play on the weekends.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just a thought but maxing SLs isn’t actually going to be easier on NG+ is it? You save time on your stat raising but those are all nighttime activities anyway and you have more than enough nights to max your only two SLs then. Daytime links are still all the same, and you can’t even use nights to boost SLs early on like you can with P4 and P5.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

lmfao epic

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looking it up and it says you might need to play on the weekends.

yeah it showed up on sunday, thanks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
looking ahead a bit and christ, every time i play this i forget how little school time you get in the final two months. bad design! not happy!

no way i'll be able to max all the links. i'll be lucky to squeak through mitsuru and aigis before the curtain comes down

e: i sort of regret doing the special hangouts with ryoji, the guy sucks. aleks le's performance is good but the character's still basically a proto-teddie when all is said and done

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 11, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well this was an unexpected glitch

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Oxxidation posted:

e: i sort of regret doing the special hangouts with ryoji, the guy sucks. aleks le's performance is good but the character's still basically a proto-teddie when all is said and done

I've always wondered if Ryoji was supposed to be likeable, because he is absolutely not. But the plot kind of treats him like he's suddenly your best friend.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryoji feels better on the FeMC side, I think?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Goddamn the reload version of Changing of Seasons is so loving good

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Captain Spoon posted:

Just got to 11/22 in P5R. :aaa: I...drastically overestimated the extent to which I had pieced the story together.

That is probably my favorite reveal in the series: they don't do a lot to hide it, with Makoto making a couple of weird allusions to the interrogation room and having several voiceless scenes showing the gang without Akechi, but they keep distracting the player with suspicious Akechi scenes.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Quite early in p3r, have a few questions about the Twilight shard economy.

I've been quite liberal with opening chests with them and now I don't have any spare for sp refresh. Is this a mistake? It feels like it because the chest rewards have been generally pretty meh so far.

Also the shards found out around town, do they respawn, do I need to be roaming around every day looking for more? I like having a reason to roam the town a bit because in p5 after a while I just fast travelled to every activity, but I could see shard hunting getting old fairly quickly.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ryoji feels better on the FeMC side, I think?

Curious about this since I never got that far in P3P.
I was a bit surprised in P3P that they didn't make Pharos and Ryoji into girls for the FeMC side.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Item Getter posted:

Curious about this since I never got that far in P3P.
I was a bit surprised in P3P that they didn't make Pharos and Ryoji into girls for the FeMC side.

You can date Ryoji as a girl, that might be why. Also it's probably so you can do the hot springs scene from the girls' point of view, since otherwise it would just be Junpei and Akihiko.

Mainwaring posted:

I've been quite liberal with opening chests with them and now I don't have any spare for sp refresh. Is this a mistake? It feels like it because the chest rewards have been generally pretty meh so far.

Also the shards found out around town, do they respawn, do I need to be roaming around every day looking for more? I like having a reason to roam the town a bit because in p5 after a while I just fast travelled to every activity, but I could see shard hunting getting old fairly quickly.

What I've done is just open the 2-3 shard chests, the 1 shard chests are okay but nothing amazing. Honestly I think after the first couple Full Moons you won't need refreshes as much, because you have a bigger party selection, SP items are more plentiful, and physical teams become more viable.

And the town shards are just a 1-of. You know when you've gotten every town shard when the achievement for doing so pops up.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can date Ryoji as a girl, that might be why. Also it's probably so you can do the hot springs scene from the girls' point of view, since otherwise it would just be Junpei and Akihiko.

What I've done is just open the 2-3 shard chests, the 1 shard chests are okay but nothing amazing. Honestly I think after the first couple Full Moons you won't need refreshes as much, because you have a bigger party selection, SP items are more plentiful, and physical teams become more viable.

And the town shards are just a 1-of. You know when you've gotten every town shard when the achievement for doing so pops up.

Dating someone who lived inside your head for 10 years sounds weird, though I'm sure the game probably doesn't really explore it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mainwaring posted:

i have opened every box and never used the sp clock, which has worked fine for me. you really shouldn't use the sp clock, fragments are not a plentiful enough resource to justify spending 7 of them when you could accomplish the same thing by drinking a 12 pack of mad bull every now and again

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, as long as you're consistently raising your s-links, doing Elizabeth's requests and never using the clocks you should have plentiful shards.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the shards are the kind of annoying resource where they start you off with a lot, but they end up being a choke point that they only give out at a trickle later in the game. what i'm saying is that they're gacha gems.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You get them at a pretty constant rate from doing Social Links, you just start with a bunch to get you going.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Using the in-game engine to do cutscenes instead of anime sequences is probably the smarter (and more cost-effective) move in the long run.

But some scenes just do not have the same punch as they did back in the original game. Looking at you, persona awakening scene.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DemoneeHo posted:

Using the in-game engine to do cutscenes instead of anime sequences is probably the smarter (and more cost-effective) move in the long run.

But some scenes just do not have the same punch as they did back in the original game. Looking at you, persona awakening scene.

yeah if they had actually only or almost only done in-engine cutscenes I would get it, but they actually have a decent number of animated ones. just not that one, somehow

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The really goofy sequence to me is the (soon after Fuuka joins) part where they walk into Tartarus with their new uniforms. It's so utterly dumb..

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It is actually bad rear end.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

It should have been in engine

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

It's no less silly than them getting a fully functioning sapient robot in 2009. The only reason subsequent Persona games aren't set in the Detroit: Become Human universe seems to be because the Kirijo Group lost the hard drive with instructions on how to make them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

It's no less silly than them getting a fully functioning sapient robot in 2009. The only reason subsequent Persona games aren't set in the Detroit: Become Human universe seems to be because the Kirijo Group lost the hard drive with instructions on how to make them.

if P4 Arena is any indication, that was probably for the best

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I finished Emperor, and I was pretty fuzzy on it frmo the old times I played it but I'm convinced all the hate it gets is from people being extremely lame and performative about 'cop poo poo' online lol.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

We should be extremely glad that the Kirijo group didn't survive to a world where Wakaba's research is out in the wild.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I finished Emperor, and I was pretty fuzzy on it frmo the old times I played it but I'm convinced all the hate it gets is from people being extremely lame and performative about 'cop poo poo' online lol.

You roll your eyes at him for sure but he doesn't really rank in terms of weaker Links for me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
he's cool.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's also probably the Emperor link that feels the most true to the tarot motif, actually heavily involving the theme of authority. Kanji and Yusuke's Link/Confidant feel kind of forced in that regard.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like Kanji and Yusuke are only Emperor at all because it was established in P3 that one of your party members needs to be Emperor.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah like considering it's one of the non-night links they preserved for FeMC, it's actually alright. Honestly it's like P4's Temperance; it just kind of exists.

Moon's also better than I heard about. Like, Nozomi's not exactly a great person, but half the link is just him being a glutton and his link kind of actually works. I think people mostly get turned off by him being a fat guy with an iffy original portrait, and being associated with Kenji to unlock him.

Chariot though, that's just rough. Not as obviously as Hermit, but like... it's probably one of the links where MC acts the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

I feel like Kanji and Yusuke are only Emperor at all because it was established in P3 that one of your party members needs to be Emperor.

Eh, they both do kinda fit. Emperor's about being torn between two ideals and they all fit that in a way - Hidetoshi between justice and power, Kanji between being true to yourself and your outward image, and Yusuke's passion for art and need to survive.