Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

I think the medal income feels about right... in that it's the primary advancement for primary/secondary/grenade weapons, along with armors, boosters, and cosmetics.

But that jump from free warbond to steel veterans is pretty harsh. They might be better off reducing the prices in the steel veterans warbond, but I dunno.

For instance: How long should it take to advance through both warbonds combined? Note that you get a Daily mission that spits out 15 medals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I disabled crossplay and multi began working immediately. I then immediately die to friendly fire and the drop ship kills me. Love this poo poo.

Q: how do you revive teammates? Someone else does it before I can ever figure it out.

Bring back Heeth, I can’t see poo poo on angels venture!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Q: how do you revive teammates? Someone else does it before I can ever figure it out.

You can't revive, you call in a reinforcement pod with your strategem and they come back in

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

TheMostFrench posted:

e: Unlocking the CE-74 Breaker armour from the superstore seems to have given me access to the Railgun? I didn't have it before but now it's listed in my stratagems, normally it unlocks at level 20.
Everyone has access to it, check under "Effects" - it's the Weapon Experimentation one.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

TheMostFrench posted:

e: Unlocking the CE-74 Breaker armour from the superstore seems to have given me access to the Railgun? I didn't have it before but now it's listed in my stratagems, normally it unlocks at level 20.

Press the "effects" button when your on a destroyer. It's an effect the dev's turned on so everyone automatically has the rail gun unlocked until they turn it off.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

explosivo posted:

You can't revive, you call in a reinforcement pod with your strategem and they come back in

Ohhh :doh:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Has anyone unlocked the liberator penetrator? Probably not huh. I guess it's the same anyways except it can pierce medium armor.

Is the laser rifle any good? Close to unlocking that

E: meh I went back to the smg after unlocking the laser. Doesn't feel good to turn

Back Hack posted:

More like side-grade, the Lib reloads faster and has better DPS.

I think the Defender smg FEELS like it has better dps because it's much easier to aim and has less recoil. Only 15 to 10 but it seems to make a huge difference. I guess that's fifty percent, nothing to sneeze at

Sonel posted:

Press the "effects" button when your on a destroyer. It's an effect the dev's turned on so everyone automatically has the rail gun unlocked until they turn it off.

It's very nice to have. Allows you to deal with chargers and elite chargers. They probably saw that that was a big issue

BeAuMaN posted:

Note that you get a Daily mission that spits out 15 medals.

Where do you see that? Or just do any mission in a day?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Felt better about rushing to replace my ten years old "Oh the wires are fraying from disuse" headset to finally play a bit of this, when teamed up with a quickmatch player sharing always on mic anxiety but not wanting to fumble for a press to talk key while shooting bugs (Thanks, flip up to mute mic) :unsmith:

Now if only I was not complete garbage at planning and using call ins. But hey, shooting a target with a disposable rocket 0.1 seconds after an orbital strike kills it anyways is progress from being trampled as I am grabbing it.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Aside from the obvious poo poo with matchmaking that just needs to be fixed, soon, I feel like medal income is light - particularly given some of the higher tier battle pass costs. Completing the paid pass, in particular, seems like kind of a grind!

The core game is great but it really epitomizes “rough around the edges”

While a smaller issue still tied to the grind. It would be great if there was more detailed weapon info in the shop. Like how the Stalwart info is just "Reloads faster, but weaker" with only a video of you shooting it standing instead of prone. I only knew to slam pick it because somebody posted online it could reload while moving, not just faster.

Then you have things like the "Slugger" shotgun down the line. Visually identical to the starter one, but the only listed difference is... The weakest shotgun damage. Not even better penetration.

Having to guess "Well maybe it is one of those 'super weak in exchange for an accurate slug shot guns?" on blind faith or another player telling you is rough, no matter how much a gun costs.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Honestly the one thing this game needs is a button like in DRG that lets you do callouts like 'ROCK AND STONE', 'FOR KARL' etc. except here it would be 'FOR MANAGED DEMOCRACY!', 'DEATH TO THE ENEMIES OF SUPER EARTH', etc. etc.

Section Z posted:

While a smaller issue still tied to the grind. It would be great if there was more detailed weapon info in the shop. Like how the Stalwart info is just "Reloads faster, but weaker" with only a video of you shooting it standing instead of prone. I only knew to slam pick it because somebody posted online it could reload while moving, not just faster.

Then you have things like the "Slugger" shotgun down the line. Visually identical to the starter one, but the only listed difference is... The weakest shotgun damage. Not even better penetration.

Having to guess "Well maybe it is one of those 'super weak in exchange for an accurate slug shot guns?" on blind faith or another player telling you is rough, no matter how much a gun costs.

Strongly concur. The only way to really know is to play with it. Which, maybe is the idea. Give people all the information and they'll just beeline straight for the meta option. Plus, since you have to unlock stuff to get to the next page anyways it's generally not terrible to unlock something that turns out bad. Still, it's nice to have all the information and they really do not give you that.

Another example is the explosive assault rifle. It shows lower damage and worse overall stats than the normal assault rifle. But how much damage does explosion add? Who freaking knows

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

Honestly the one thing this game needs is a button like in DRG that lets you do callouts like 'ROCK AND STONE', 'FOR KARL' etc. except here it would be 'FOR MANAGED DEMOCRACY!', 'DEATH TO THE ENEMIES OF SUPER EARTH', etc. etc.

It has one. The trigger.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The grenade launcher + auto shotgun + machine pistol is so good. As long as you get supplies as soon as they're available you'll always have grenades. You can take out the large charging tanks with about a mag of grenades from in front. If you run out of grenades and there are lots of enemies... oh no! you can change to your auto-shotgun which is not quite as good but makes REALLY short work of hordes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I heard it was said you need to do an SOS Stategem for filling in empty team slots but apparently I do not have it? Is it the host that is supposed to do it?

Also, tying unlocking difficulties to completing Operations, not missions, is bullshit. One mission lasts long enough (assuming you are completing the map) that people grouped by Quickplay start to drop off. Is there a way to replenish team slots while in orbit?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Play posted:

Strongly concur. The only way to really know is to play with it. Which, maybe is the idea. Give people all the information and they'll just beeline straight for the meta option. Plus, since you have to unlock stuff to get to the next page anyways it's generally not terrible to unlock something that turns out bad. Still, it's nice to have all the information and they really do not give you that.

Another example is the explosive assault rifle. It shows lower damage and worse overall stats than the normal assault rifle. But how much damage does explosion add? Who freaking knows

From the handful of rounds I played, it seems that much like the Reload button is the same one as "Change your rate of fire". The patriotic fervor button is your grenades button, sometimes.

redreader posted:

The grenade launcher + auto shotgun + machine pistol is so good. As long as you get supplies as soon as they're available you'll always have grenades. You can take out the large charging tanks with about a mag of grenades from in front. If you run out of grenades and there are lots of enemies... oh no! you can change to your auto-shotgun which is not quite as good but makes REALLY short work of hordes.

Sounds like EDF life thrives on Super Earth.

Overall grenades wise. Why would you even want to unlock the frag hand grenades, over the explosive type you start with? Considering it seems 90% of the anguish is enemy armor. Do you at least get more ammo, or is it literally "Wider weakling kills, your teammate might survive. maybe."

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...fe99d84bf07c0b&

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mistakes.m4v

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Play posted:

The Orders. There's two orders: The team order, and the personal order. The personal order changes every 24 hours, and if you complete it you get 15 medals. How easy it is can vary but killing 400 of something isn't that big of a deal usually.

In the ship area you can press Z to see the overall orders...

While in the strategy map in the ship, when you're backed out to galaxy view, you can see the details.

The daily mission is there to give you a good chunk of progress towards warbonds on a daily basis. Complete those once a day and you'll make good progress. Some of them area easier than others... 8 optional missions, for instance, requires a lot more work than killing 400 bugs or 400 automatons.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 11, 2024

megane
Jun 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11WUJVmq0IQ

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Play posted:

Has anyone unlocked the liberator penetrator? Probably not huh. I guess it's the same anyways except it can pierce medium armor.

Is the laser rifle any good? Close to unlocking that

E: meh I went back to the smg after unlocking the laser. Doesn't feel good to turn

I think the Defender smg FEELS like it has better dps because it's much easier to aim and has less recoil. Only 15 to 10 but it seems to make a huge difference. I guess that's fifty percent, nothing to sneeze at

It's very nice to have. Allows you to deal with chargers and elite chargers. They probably saw that that was a big issue

I just unlocked the penetrator. It's burst fire instead of full auto and has a smaller mag. Didn't feel super useful against the bugs but I suspect it'll be great for the robots. Haven't used it on them yet so cannot confirm. As for your second question, laser rifle is nice in that you basically don't need ammo for it but it's damage feels a bit lackluster

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Holy gently caress the bots are so much fun to fight. Way better than the bugs.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The fact that you start laughing maniacally after about 7 seconds of continuous fire is amazing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Benagain posted:

The fact that you start laughing maniacally after about 7 seconds of continuous fire is amazing.

This game has a lot of small touches like this that make it feel special.

Someone mentioned the need for a "For Democracy!" shout button a la DRG and I completely agree.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

1stGear posted:

Holy gently caress the bots are so much fun to fight. Way better than the bugs.

The bots are pretty great!

What stratagems are y’all using for taking out outposts?

It seemed like a strike would be called in and the small/medium outposts were taken out pretty quickly. The limited use of eagle strikes doesn’t seem great, and when I did a 380mm orbital I ended up just killing my half my team :sweatdrop:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

blahz posted:

The bots are pretty great!

What stratagems are y’all using for taking out outposts?

It seemed like a strike would be called in and the small/medium outposts were taken out pretty quickly. The limited use of eagle strikes doesn’t seem great, and when I did a 380mm orbital I ended up just killing my half my team :sweatdrop:

The eagle strikes are poorly worded, you get the listed number of strikes with a short cool down and then trigger like a 3 minute rearm cool down and come back with the uses. You will never be "out" of air strikes

The 2nd one, I believe it's just called Eagle Airstrike, is amazing taking out outposts.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Whoever suggested the 380mm + Napalm, you are a sword of liberation and a beacon of Managed Democracy.

Edit: I really want to take grenade launcher with this outfit too, but not enough people are taking recoilless rifles, so I feel compelled to take RRs instead. RR feels like a hard requirement for success at 5+.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 11, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Have any of y'all gotten to incendiary primary arms yet? How do you like 'em?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’ve only seen people using the incendiary shotgun from the premium pass second hand but it has wrecked shop against bug and brobot alike.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hard difficulty doing just the 10 minute kill bug defense missions seems pretty doable.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Between stamina rapidly falling, randomly getting hit in a limb that, despite being at 60% health, means I can’t move, tiny gun magazines and long rear end reloads it feels like this game hasn’t been tuned at all for offline play. Really bums me out.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

forgive me for perhaps being confused, it doesn't really seem like the kind of game that has offline single player in mind?

Orv
May 4, 2011
They’ve stated it’s specifically tuned against it, it’s co-op first. Which does kind of suck but I’m not sure I’d be looking at it for a solo experience in the first place.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
They shouldn’t include it if it’s gonna be rear end then.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hm

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

flipping on my computer toucher brain for a moment here, I question to what degree it is helpful or unhelpful to dedicate balancing attention to what is essentially an unsupported use of the product

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Potato Salad posted:

flipping on my computer toucher brain for a moment here, I question to what degree it is helpful or unhelpful to dedicate balancing attention to what is essentially an unsupported use of the product

The first day of playing I couldn’t even play multiplayer because the game was so bugged “cross play” broke it. Cool they went out of their way to ‘balance’ offline mode to literally waste the players time!

Anyway, not sure how it can be ‘unsupported’, it’s literally baked into the game.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The game is balanced around single player for easy and trivial and no difficulty beyond that. I am generally a single player kind of guy but I’ve had great experiences with pubbies on difficulties up through challenging. You can generally carry up through normal as well.

Just start looking for groups on normal and if you like the group, suggest stepping up the difficulty.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

I’m guessing you mean that you are just mapping a back paddle to be the R3 button, right?

I tried messing with the in-game and Edge settings to make holding the paddle down keep me running without holding forward on the left stick, but wasn’t able to. If anyone has a trick to getting that done, my fingers will thank you.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Anyway. Sorry to be so negative on what is probably not an issue for most.

The moment to moment combat really feels like the starship troopers movie and feels really good.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Thoughts after today's marathon (all based on bugs):

Pretty much every Eagle call-in is good. Conversely, the majority of the orbital call-ins feel like poo poo.

Railgun is extremely solid and I highly recommend running it in the "unsafe" fire mode. Once you get a hang of the maximum charge time (without killing yourself) you can strip armor off heavies easily. Someone should still be running recoilless/autocannon though.

The impact grenades are a massive upgrade unless you suck at throwing. There's no loss of power and no worry about them bouncing off bigger bugs. Wear some +2 nade armor and you're able to clear out hordes of bugs. They also insta-pop fatbugs on direct hit. Very satisfying.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah after a few missions with the 120mm and the 380mm call ins I think they’re just a little too prone to heavy dispersion. I don’t think I’ll ever stop bringing the orbital precision, its cooldown is low enough and the blast range controllable enough to be extremely useful for the bigger bugs and holes and it’s the most reliable building destroyer if you want to keep the collateral low.

Other than that Eagle strikes seem superior in nearly every way, though I think napalm is merely okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Kaddish posted:

Anyone try the P-4 Senator? Warbonds are earned so slowly that I'm reluctant to buy stuff.

How about the Liberator Explosive?

It's a very slow reload but it is powerful. Against the larger unarmored enemies it will wipe them out if you aim at weakspots, saving precious automatic ammo.