Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

klen dool posted:

Wtf is happening here? I thought it was a video game for a start but no it's real?

Looks like BeamNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's European Truck Simulator 2

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1756398020919214214?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

OL-est LOL I've had in a bit :kiss:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

A disaster that could've been averted, if only that man had gotten finger certified in dam school

Or forklift certified.

withak posted:

You go to school for civil engineering then you go work at a place that does dams.

edit: To be clear, civil engineering is generally agreed to be the least exciting and lowest paid form of engineering so plan accordingly.

Worse than geotechnical?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Geotechnical is like the dullest and lowest paid kind of civil.

Ask me how I know.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait is that a video game or is that real.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Are Dams a growth industry?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

they grow lakes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Wait is that a video game or is that real.

Geotechnical engineering is very real.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

Yeah because most of our dams were built 50-100 years ago and most infrastructure has a useful life of around 50 years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean the truck driving video. Is that real or is that a video game.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How should I know.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Hollismason posted:

really, there's no way to tell the difference anymore.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hollismason posted:

The horizon draw distance changes halfway through and he has an RGB keyboard on a shelf under the steering wheel

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hollismason posted:

It's Euro truck simulator 2, a video game

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hollismason posted:

There's a mouse plugged in.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol I wanna see that dude's setup

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Why are they filming themself playing a video game while they drive a truck, that seems both dangerous and illegal. I like to have a good time as much as anyone else, but that's a great way to get caught.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The horizon draw distance changes halfway through and he has an RGB keyboard on a shelf under the steering wheel

Arrhythmia posted:

There's a mouse plugged in.

On European roads, this is perfectly normal

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

Why are they filming themself playing a video game while they drive a truck, that seems both dangerous and illegal. I like to have a good time as much as anyone else, but that's a great way to get caught.

It's the new hot trend on twitch

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

shoeberto posted:

Get ready for the bad puns, you posted this info in the wrong dam thread.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

... so real?

redshirt posted:

Very, very yes, for a couple reasons. First, flood control. Most cities on rivers that flood use systems of dams and weirs to divert overflow around their vulnerable downtown areas, and these systems not only need to be maintained or rebuilt, but also in some cases are no longer adequate and need to have their capacity increased. Second, cities built on rivers that don't or can't flood are discovering that there is no such thing, and need those systems installed. And finally, on rivers with reliable flow you can use hydroelectric systems to supplement power generation (or as a full-time grid-disconnected solution with enough batteries), which require dam and/or weir infrastructure to keep the water levels in the turbine channels at the right place.

Some of the control systems I work on are used for hydro power setups, and from what I've been told they're experiencing a massive boom compared to the last 30 years.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Also there are a bunch of really old dams out there where they just winged it 150 years ago and someone needs to Fix That poo poo.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Space Kablooey posted:

It's the new hot trend on twitch
This chat just reminded me of a high school friend who installed a TV and PS2 in his Mitsubishi Eclipse and would play Madden 06 while driving. A pioneer.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

wiegieman posted:

Also there are a bunch of really old dams out there where they just winged it 150 years ago and someone needs to Fix That poo poo.

Good thing the Army Corp of Engineers definitely knows where those are and is tracking their condition

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It's a game but it's controlling a real truck somewhere.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Army Corps of Engineers actually knows where almost all of their dams are! Unfortunately the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Forest Service don’t have quite as complete of a list available.

withak fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 11, 2024

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

withak posted:

The Army Corps of Engineers actually knows where almost all of their dams are! Unfortunately the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the US Forest service don’t have quite as complete of a list available.

That almost is a big number and mostly includes sketchy dams made by some farmer with a dozer. Not super high risk to major population centers, but can still be dangerous.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Amphigory posted:

I find the whole thing fascinating, it's such an 'anti-human' environment

oh yeah just to comment on this, that's the point. Your PPE in a cleanroom isn't to protect you from anything. Cool if it does. It's to protect the product from you and the creeping environmental contamination from outside.
That is the #1 priority and #1 concern.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/lMPGwSS.mp4

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

This one's just to keep you on your toes

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

these systems not only need to be maintained or rebuilt, but also in some cases are no longer adequate and need to have their capacity increased.

There's a really cool project underway in the Grimsel in Switzerland at the moment- one of the oldest dams there is the Spitallamm. This is a pic I took of it while cycling there about a decade ago:

Recently they found it has a crack in it, so to fix it they're 'just' building another dam in front:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbS3GUOvO_E

The cranes they're using to do it are showcased in a very osha video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H32N1adwWoA

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
There's a sign here on a road near a marine base that says "When blinking, heavy smoke may be present". It's blinking 24/7 and there's never been heavy smoke.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

nice obelisk idiot posted:

This chat just reminded me of a high school friend who installed a TV and PS2 in his Mitsubishi Eclipse and would play Madden 06 while driving. A pioneer.

:stare:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

i didnt know pioneer made in dash tvs

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

StarkingBarfish posted:

There's a really cool project underway in the Grimsel in Switzerland at the moment- one of the oldest dams there is the Spitallamm. This is a pic I took of it while cycling there about a decade ago:

Recently they found it has a crack in it, so to fix it they're 'just' building another dam in front:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbS3GUOvO_E

The cranes they're using to do it are showcased in a very osha video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H32N1adwWoA

Half hoping it would be another Marti Construction (a subsidiary of Marti Group) video.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

There was a shot in the first Fast and Furious movie where the guy in a type r Integra was playing Gran turismo on a ps1 in his car (racing as a type r Integra)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Slugworth posted:

There's a sign here on a road near a marine base that says "When blinking, heavy smoke may be present". It's blinking 24/7 and there's never been heavy smoke.

There's a weigh station on 95 (both sides) in northern Mass that has not been open since at least the mid 90's, and yet Mass maintains the sign with a light that says "Weigh Station __________ CLOSED"