Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Android Apocalypse posted:

I did not join them as a sign that I'm not sober enough to go out was missing the toilet bowl and pissing on my pant leg. :piss:

:laffo:

Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but I'll just say I've been there before buddy. All I can suggest at this point are two options: nap, wake up, smash a burger, and rally with them at midnight or sleep it off all the way and make coffee and breakfast in the morning. You're a hero either way.

I do hope you feel better soon! Hangovers suck!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Sounds like he's trying to cure your hangover!

hair of the dog, baby

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah I'm logging off & sleeping this off.
Will do touristy things tomorrow here in Ft. Collins. If I'm lucky maybe we can hit a place that has chicken wings & a tv showing the Super Bowl for an obligatory GDT-appropriate photo post.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Important Super Bowl Sunday notes:

IEM Katowice gaming tournament

Counter-Strike
Grand Finals @ 8am Pacific

StarCraft 2
Semis A @ 8:20am Pacific
Semis B @ 9:40am Pacific
Grand Finals @ 11:30am Pacific

Look at those gosh darn cuties
Puppy Bowl @ 11am Pacific

e: the SC2 quarter finals start at 3am Pacific but I won't force you nerds to watch that unless you can't sleep due to a wicked hangover *ahem*

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 11, 2024

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Re: book chat. I pretty much only read smut but I do have some high quality recommendations if you're interested.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmRhnDVMnn8

Books from here

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

seiferguy posted:

In an effort to read more, I bought an eReader (a kobo libra 2). I connected it to my local library via OverDrive, now I have a bunch of rentals at my disposal.

I now have decision paralysis - so many books to choose from. I used to like reading sci-fi as a kid. Recently I do some non-fiction / self-help ish books? I could be a stereotypical man and read about a historical war I've been interested in.

What’s up fellow Libra 2 owner? :hfive:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, but get the audiobook. Listening to books is good for your brain since it forces you to pay attention and also reduces eyestrain after a full day of scrolling memes and bad political takes.

I literally just finished this audiobook last week, and I second this recommendation. Also if you haven’t read the Martian by Andy Weir, the RC Bray audiobook is fantastic, but sadly it no longer exists and was replaced with a Wil Wheaton version. Luckily the internet comes to the rescue: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYGuGzmVleI. I normally don’t listen to audiobooks but those two are superb.

For Sci-fi, some that I like:

Star Trek Imzadi (There’s also Imzadi 2 but nowhere near as good)

Travis Bagwell’s Awaken Online (my first LitRPG story but it’s really fun) : https://www.amazon.com/Awaken-Online-11-book-series/dp/B074CC5NDX

Stephen King’s The Stand

Any Andy Weir book

Resurrection Day - Brendan DuBois

Guns of the South - Harry Turtledove

Dust - Charles Pellegrino

Pretty much anything by Douglas E. Richards. The man has a formula of guy or tech gone wild, has to save the world but drat if each one doesn’t suck me in each time.

Prepare to Die! - Paul Tobin

One Second After - There are sequels which get meh really quickly but the original freaked me out on a vacation.

History:

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months That Changed the World

Five Presidents - Clint Hill

The Ultimate History of Video Games

NBA Jam - Reyan Ali

Chip War - Chris Miller

Showtime (Lakers book)- Jeff Perlman

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’ve been going through Rick Perlstein’s series on the rise of conservatism in America. Grim, but fascinating.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Stephen King's The Stand is amazing, Grover Gardner is a great narrator.
11/22/63 is the second best book he's written and is a fantastic audiobook. It is also very good.

For Sci Fi, The Bobiverse books are also quite fun (read by same narrator as Hail Mary).

SK's book of novellas "Different Seasons" (read by Frank Muller) has Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption, and Apt Pupil. Another surprisingly good audiobook from him is Hearts in Atlantis.

Do not under any circumstances listen to "The Tommyknockers", "The Regulators", or "Insomnia". All are dogshit awful.

There's also a ton of good John Grisham books, most read by Michael Beck. Start with the Jake Brigance series.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

StarCraft 2

e: the SC2 quarter finals start at 3am Pacific but I won't force you nerds to watch that unless you can't sleep due to a wicked hangover *ahem*

It's like God looked down from on high and blessed tomorrow. Clem looks in top form again.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Buzzed breakfast dinner, chorizo scalloped potatoes egg and mountain of cheddar casserole. S tier with some TB mild sauce on top

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I've been reading The Tale of Genji again for reasons and I've got a book about the Ottoman's lined up next. I've got Shogun on hold but I'm like 58th in line for the ebook so it'll probably be a while.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Air Skwirl posted:

Richard Sharpe series

Bernard Cornwell's stuff is (almost) all paint by the numbers in that the general plot from a story standpoint is always about the same. But if you like one of his books you're gonna like all of them--I like all of them. And he does do some actual like...noting of how things must have sucked getting your face permanently scarred a bit by the blowback from firing a musket all the time and such. I do laugh a bit at how his main characters just randomly show up at every single engagement in history through no fault of their own.

He also did The Last Kingdom/Saxon Stories if you've come across that TV series (I didn't watch it), that one's about Vikings and the beginning of England.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Readingwise out of legends stars wars books and wife got me reading D&D Drtizzt stuff

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grittybeard posted:

Bernard Cornwell's stuff is (almost) all paint by the numbers in that the general plot from a story standpoint is always about the same. But if you like one of his books you're gonna like all of them--I like all of them. And he does do some actual like...noting of how things must have sucked getting your face permanently scarred a bit by the blowback from firing a musket all the time and such. I do laugh a bit at how his main characters just randomly show up at every single engagement in history through no fault of their own.

He also did The Last Kingdom/Saxon Stories if you've come across that TV series (I didn't watch it), that one's about Vikings and the beginning of England.

I think he just wanted to give the English Infantry some loving credit for defeating Napoleon since everyone loved the Patrick O'Brien Aubrey-Maturin novels so much (Master and Commander is based off one of the books in that series), and you know, it actually was the army at Waterloo who defeated Napoleon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Max has a 40 minute video of highlights from the last 20 years of the puppy bowl.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I've been reading The Tale of Genji again for reasons and I've got a book about the Ottoman's lined up next. I've got Shogun on hold but I'm like 58th in line for the ebook so it'll probably be a while.

There’s a line for an ebook?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Abugadu posted:

There’s a line for an ebook?

Yeah, ebook checkouts are loving weird. They can only check out a book a certain number of times before the library has to pay more money for the book.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Seconding this. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll even fist bump nobody and scream "hell yeah!" as you weave your way through each warships' and sailors' stories.

can real life be spoiled? yes it can "Small boys attack!" :black101:

ok, this sounds right up my street

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Pron on VHS posted:

Popeyes sides are….dire.

The red beans and rice is good and the mashed potatoes aren’t terrible

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Got around to watching S5 of Fargo and I think that was their best season yet. It’s been a while since I’ve seen 1 and 2, but I remember those being really good and 3 and 4 being just OK.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ether Frenzy posted:

Stephen King's The Stand is amazing, Grover Gardner is a great narrator.
11/22/63 is the second best book he's written and is a fantastic audiobook. It is also very good.

For Sci Fi, The Bobiverse books are also quite fun (read by same narrator as Hail Mary).

SK's book of novellas "Different Seasons" (read by Frank Muller) has Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption, and Apt Pupil. Another surprisingly good audiobook from him is Hearts in Atlantis.

Do not under any circumstances listen to "The Tommyknockers", "The Regulators", or "Insomnia". All are dogshit awful.

There's also a ton of good John Grisham books, most read by Michael Beck. Start with the Jake Brigance series.

You have good taste in books. :)

I think I’ve read all the Bobiverse books, they went by quickly.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’ve been going through Rick Perlstein’s series on the rise of conservatism in America. Grim, but fascinating.

I’ve got “Before the Storm” sitting on my bookshelf now but I haven’t had the time to pick it up.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve got “Before the Storm” sitting on my bookshelf now but I haven’t had the time to pick it up.
It's a great series....as far as I read it.

I couldn't make it through Invisible Bridge, it was too real. I'm very frightened these days. :ohdear:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

It's a great series....as far as I read it.

I couldn't make it through Invisible Bridge, it was too real. I'm very frightened these days. :ohdear:

I didn’t realize it was part of a series. I can’t remember where it was recommended but I picked it up in a flurry of book purchases last year and I haven’t had the free time to dig into any of them.

And I don’t blame you, the future appears to be awful.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nixonland is the best one by far.

Reaganland isn’t great. Invisible bridge is better.

One of the reasons is that Reagan was much more private about his upbringing and personal life. Lots of the stuff we know about him is from way before he was in politics.

With Nixon, there’s just tons of interesting poo poo about him every second of his life. Reagan is comparably boring.

And yeah, once you’re getting into the 80s things just seem too real. Nixonland almost seems like a different world.

Perlstein went on morning joe once. He made some comment about how lovely Brezinski (Mika’s dad) was. When they got pissy and started sniping him, he brought up the aide that died in Scarborough’s office lol. The interview was cut off, they went to commercial, and they came back and spent the entire slot talking about how Joe did not kill that girl.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
lol a buddy of mine leant me Project Hail Marky like a week or so ago.

I've got way too many books to read. Probably gonna start Roberto Bolano's "the Savage Detectives" soon.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hot Diggity! posted:

lol a buddy of mine leant me Project Hail Marky like a week or so ago.

Is that one of the Funky Bunch Mysteries?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Is that one of the Funky Bunch Mysteries?

Yeah, it's the one where Marky is launched into space, never to be seen or heard from again. The mystery they're trying to solve is "why didn't we do it sooner?"

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah, it's the one where Marky is launched into space, never to be seen or heard from again. The mystery they're trying to solve is "why didn't we do it sooner?"

Why do you want to rob the world of the joy that is Daddy’s Home 2, or the Family Plan, or Father Stu, or

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

lmfao hell yeah

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/11/24069251/waymo-driverless-taxi-fire-vandalized-video-san-francisco-china-town

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Breakfast tacos to fight this hangover helps. As does the Paloma back there.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Hell yeah, Katowice finals

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

rjmccall posted:

Hell yeah, Katowice finals

I was rooting for Byun but I'll accept another Maru victory

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Cat is hidden

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Woke with a fever and feeling absolutely terrible today.

I'm missing the final round of the Phoenix Open and cheering on Sahith Theegala with his family. I'm so bummed.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Counter-Strike
Grand Finals @ 8am Pacific

StarCraft 2

I enjoy StarCraft

Ty for the post

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dango Bango posted:

Woke with a fever and feeling absolutely terrible today.

I'm missing the final round of the Phoenix Open and cheering on Sahith Theegala with his family. I'm so bummed.

How was the show after Dynamite? The one I went to in Vegas lasted for Rampage and about 2-3 hours of ROH.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what are y'all making for super bowl food

my mother in law is coming over and she's diabetic so I'm broiling some salmon, gonna make some rice on the side that she can skip, maybe some salad or something, and we've got chips and salsa, carrots & celery & a homemade "ranch" dip (greek yogurt base), and we'll probably make some popcorn

I used to always make hot wings but my wife can't eat them any more due to the diarrhea so salmon will have to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Leperflesh posted:

what are y'all making for super bowl food

Cornbread casserole (basically cornbread poured over a layer of already skillet- cooked, finely diced trio and Conecuh sausage and shoved in an oven), and some chicken peanut satay wraps. Gonna try making tortillas from scratch the first time.

Running a small test batch of ice cream with a new recipe, time and energy permitting.