Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

Ling Ma is a good author to watch imo. She’s in her 40s now but writes very well about millennial identity stuff, with a focus on immigrant stories. Severance is really good. Ken Liu is also a late millennial but has great short stories about being millennials in late stage capitalism.

millennials are in their 40's now.

edit; terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

millennials are in their 40's now.

edit; terrible snipe

Yeah I think that's why they both write compellingly about the experience, though I'm a bit younger than either of them.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

nice, ling ma sounds like a good example of what i'm looking for

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

so does this, depending on how intensely YA it is/what flavor of that

(I'm liking RF Kuang's Babel right now, which isn't marketed as YA, but otoh I really did not like the last YA book someone recommended me, Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Tea Bone posted:

I'm well aware that I'm probably chasing a dragon here, but I want to feel the same way I did when I was a teenager and first read the Ted The Caver story. In that I felt like I had fallen down a rabbit hole and was learning about something terrifying just below the surface of every day life.

I've read most of the things that normally get brought up with Ted The Caver (House of Leaves and Dionaea house), I've tried Lovecraft and some contemporary Cosmic horror but tend to bounce off of it a bit.

The subject matter isn't that important, it doesn't need to be about monsters or dark spaces, it's that feeling of suspended disbelief that I'm looking to recapture.

If you want realistic terror of being trapped, it's a comic not a novel but House by Josh Simmons is an unforgettably bleak experience

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

tuyop posted:

Have you read any Thomas Ligotti?

Fifteen Terrifying Tales by Thomas Ligotti has “The Bungalow House”, which gave me that kind of vibe

wheatpuppy posted:

Have you tried The Hike by Drew Magary?

yaffle posted:

Borges maybe?

Gripweed posted:

Not books, but I do have some movie suggestions that I think will evoke the feeling you're after...

fez_machine posted:

If you want realistic terror of being trapped, it's a comic not a novel but House by Josh Simmons is an unforgettably bleak experience

Thanks everyone, I'll look into all of these. Going to start with The Bungalow House, also Alternative 3 looks particularly interesting.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Want a novel or short story with a significant portion of it taking place in a modern prison. I read American Rust recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

escape artist posted:

Want a novel or short story with a significant portion of it taking place in a modern prison. I read American Rust recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

its nonfiction iirc but the Jeffrey Archer books? Prison Diaries iirc they read like fiction (if 2003 counts as modern too)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Amusing/silly/goofy historical fiction? Something that might be a literary companion to Our Flag Means Death or Blackadder or Jack of All Trades. Or, I suppose, the Monkey Island games. Maybe "Terry Prachett without the magic' kind of vibes?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

feedmyleg posted:

Amusing/silly/goofy historical fiction? Something that might be a literary companion to Our Flag Means Death or Blackadder or Jack of All Trades. Or, I suppose, the Monkey Island games. Maybe "Terry Prachett without the magic' kind of vibes?

Flashman? Patrick O'Brian is very funny at times, but maybe not exactly goofy. Spike Milligan's war diaries are funny if you like Spike Milligan.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I wouldn't exactly say it's a remotely suitable book for your purposes, but Gravity's Rainbow is historical fiction and definitely is very zany and whackadoodle. I'm sure similar can be said of Mason & Dixon in the 18th century and Against the Day in the turn of the 20th.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

feedmyleg posted:

I forgot Augustus Carp and The Good Soldier Schweik, which are both nearly 100 years old and must be historical fiction, right?

https://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/carp/

https://files.libcom.org/files/The%20Good%20Soldier%20Svejk%20-%20Jaroslav%20Hasek.pdf

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

Catch-22

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

yaffle posted:

Flashman?

This. And if you like Our Flag Means Death, you'll probably like Fraser's The Pyrates too.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

To Say Nothing of the Dog.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Haystack posted:

To Say Nothing of the Dog.
*Contains time travel.

It's a lot lighter than most of the suggestions, but how about The Curse of Capistrano? It's the debut book of the pulp hero Zorro and a lot of it is quaint to the point of becoming funny, especially in regards to Zorro's double identity shenanigans or the fact that just about everyone enters and exits houses by windows for Dramatic Effect.

It's been a BotM a while back so you can check the thread for more responses there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

*Contains time travel.

It's a lot lighter than most of the suggestions, but how about The Curse of Capistrano? It's the debut book of the pulp hero Zorro and a lot of it is quaint to the point of becoming funny, especially in regards to Zorro's double identity shenanigans or the fact that just about everyone enters and exits houses by windows for Dramatic Effect.

It's been a BotM a while back so you can check the thread for more responses there.

Very appropriate given the new bootlicking zorro that’s currently in production

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Are there any first hand accounts of the experience of dementia?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Not that I know of. Not even Iris Murdoch wrote one.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

regulargonzalez posted:

Still Alice? It’s fiction, and I don’t remember if all of it is from her POV, but I remember some really moving passages and descriptions of her experience.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Anything amusing about corporate or bureaucratic incompetence?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

FPyat posted:

I mean, Catch-22?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FPyat posted:

A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear is about a small town with a bear problem and what happens when a bunch of internet libertarians invade and try to take over the town.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

wheatpuppy posted:

I mean, Catch-22?

tuyop posted:

A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear is about a small town with a bear problem and what happens when a bunch of internet libertarians invade and try to take over the town.

Strong recommendation for both of these

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Rather specific, I actually posted about this in the anime forum but didn't gain much traction and thought maybe someone here could also have overlapping interests (also it's the book forum)

I'd like to read a history of manga as a medium, and also anything that delves into the process/lifestyle surrounding manga in general (maybe this could even be something biographical for famous mangaka or the process behind a specific work).

I got a few interesting suggestions in ADRTW but not specifically any kind of book.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FPyat posted:

The Dark Side (Anthony O'Neill) is a noir murder mystery set on the moon, which has been colonized by a libertarian billionaire. It's a quick read.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So any good books on Japan or Italy at the immediate era after ww2

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Upsidads posted:

So any good books on Japan ... at the immediate era after ww2

Embracing Defeat is what you want.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

regulargonzalez posted:

The final chapter of David Milch's memoir Life's Work

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Upsidads posted:

Barefoot Gen is a classic if you're ok with manga.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Leraika posted:

Barefoot Gen is a classic if you're ok with manga.

I'm looking for less depressing than Grave of the Fireflies (which is everything) more of a historical overview. Like how do you move past Mussolini or MacArthur

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Upsidads posted:

I'm looking for less depressing than Grave of the Fireflies (which is everything) more of a historical overview. Like how do you move past Mussolini or MacArthur

Definitely not Barefoot Gen, then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Upsidads posted:

BioTech posted:

Embracing Defeat is what you want.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Absolutely. But I will back up Barefoot Gen is great I recommend it as well

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Upsidads posted:

"Showa" by Shigeru Mizuki is a pretty decent history of modern Japan, at least from the perspective of a manga artist, starts in 1926 I think.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Finished Brandon Sanderson Mistborn era 1 and the stormlight archives over the last three months- any suggestions for what to read next? I’m thinking I need an author break.

The last author I’ve read this deeply was Haruki Murakami, if that helps with recommendations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Any suggestions on where to go for a WAG's tale? Wives and Girlfriends. I think the term is explicitly used for the wives and girlfriends—mainly—of English football stars and is the tabloid term. Or NFL, basketball, MLB... I know NHL was a trend in romance. Any sport is fine but preferably non-fiction, rather than something imagined. A couple of biographies of a woman's twenties and early thirties as a WAG would be great. If they met when they were teens and he was in the academy all the better (think Rooney and Colleen.) Just looking to get as real a glimpse into the world as possible. Possibly "research." Fashion, drama and sport would be great. Along with sex, if it's not too naughty. Hopefully not reality TV, but if I must...

virinvictus posted:

Finished Brandon Sanderson Mistborn era 1 and the stormlight archives over the last three months- any suggestions for what to read next? I’m thinking I need an author break.

The last author I’ve read this deeply was Haruki Murakami, if that helps with recommendations.

Maybe Trudi Canavan? She's still 'Fantasy' but I remember liking her as a young adult. "The Magician's Guild, maybe? I'd make a bet, having not read Canavan in decades or ever Sanderson that she's better. Like I said, still fantasy. If you want decent writing and a story that whips along, and sticks to the diversity of Murakami versus Sanderson I'd say Solar Bones by Mike McCormack? Great book that ends perfectly.

Canavan is also Australian, so I think she'd be ok with me calling her a "Good oval office!" At least from what I've read. I enjoyed the two trilogies of hers I read. And was really happy when I looked a the sci-fi section of Waterstones the other day she was taking up half a shelf.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mrenda posted:

Any suggestions on where to go for a WAG's tale? Wives and Girlfriends.

I don’t know what this genre is but I’m so interested. Do you have any examples?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

tuyop posted:

I don’t know what this genre is but I’m so interested. Do you have any examples?

It's not a genre. I'm looking for a good biography of one. Especially during their time in football. The wikipedia article (of which I've read the first five or so lines) seems to describe it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAGs

I'm sure if you want to search out NHL hockey romance books you'll find something. I think the effect of the romance books, on a particular player, made the newspapers a year or two ago.

It's an interesting lifestyle.

(Also... Are you a bot? I thought I explained all this in my original post.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
This is a pretty broad request - I've been in a bit of reading rut and have been trying to get back in through historical fiction, one of my favorite genres. Anyone have any favorite titles they'd like to recommend? I particularly enjoy works that take place outside the US and Europe (Pachinko, The island of Sea Women, and Amitav Ghosh's entire Ibis trilogy are particular favorites of mine). But definitely not opposed to solid works set there (I've enjoyed nearly everything I've read from James Mcbride, Louis Erdrich, and Carlos Ruiz Zafón).