Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the greatest love story in video games?
This poll is closed.
Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 14 7.37%
Wakka & Lulu (Final Fantasy X) 8 4.21%
Wakka & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 1 0.53%
Lulu & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 13 6.84%
Rikku & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 3 1.58%
Kimahri & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 2 1.05%
Tidus & Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Yuna & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Wakka & Wakka (Final Fantasy X) 70 36.84%
Auron & Kimahri (Final Fantasy X) 23 12.11%
Kimahri & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 15 7.89%
Yuna & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 9 4.74%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Bring. Back. Wireframe. Maps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Hell, just do what the recent Tomb Raiders did, where you make it a toggle in the options. They had excellent zero-to-obnoxious toggles for things like Lara giving you puzzle hints, environmental clues with the paint, etc. Were you good at everything but figuring out vertical poo poo? There was a toggle for that!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

Bring. Back. Wireframe. Maps!

Ok, they're back, now what?!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fill the gaps between 3 or more crossing wires with something interesting and see how that looks.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Speaking of FF7 the original's backgrounds could also be extremely confusing for me to work out what i could interact with as a wee child.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hwurmp posted:

gamers not being able to pick out interactables in the environment is just proof that AAA graphics are a waste of time and money

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

ImpAtom posted:

The yellow paint thing bugs the hell out of me because it's like... oh no, clear distinct language that makes it easy to instantly identify something? How could video games do this! This is totally unique and new and not the reason every loving explosive box/barrel/container/etc is bright red in 90% of video games because people have identified that bright red = explodes.

First, it used to be done diegetically, ie the red barrels were the in-game Red Barrel: We explode'em good! brand. It's done in real life, we make dangerous or important stuff bright colors so people will notice them. We put signs around them, leading to them, we put decals on them. We do not apply random splotches of paint. And because it works diegetically and also like that in real life, this prompts the inverse reaction: who's the goober who went around painting cliffs in yellow?

Second, it's the detective vision problem: those objects need to be highlighted in intrusive way because they didn't think of using the non-intrusive way. There's a whole bunch of tricks, in cinema, art and gaming, designed to direct the attention of the viewer or player and highlight specific objects, and yellow paint games just don't use them. Like, why do those climbable rocks look so much like the non-climbable ones that you have to apply splotches of paint? Because the art director's poo poo, that's why. Different rock colors, different values, different lighting, different texture, surrouding layout, there's so much stuff they could've used,tricks invented centuries ago, usually during renaissance. But of course underpaid and overworked artists just aren't taught them properly.

Chev fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 11, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

People should play Outer Wilds because it does a very good job of clearly demonstrating to the player what is "climbable" or things that can be operated/interacted with and also because it's one of the best games ever made.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finally got around to start playing Skyrim and it made me think how it must feel like to be companion. You're just living your life in a small village, then some stranger ask you to join them and suddenly you're fighting a giant dragon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The worst thing that can happen to an NPC in a video game is meeting the main character because there’s an even chance they’ll die in the narrative yet never encountering them almost always keeps them alive.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Been playing loads of Lies of P and goddamn this game is so good. I'll be very disappointed when it turns out the devs plagerised a ton of code from Fromsoft but for now I'll just have to conclude that they're innovating geniuses. I've opened 2024 with a double barrel of Armored Core VI and Lies of P and a smattering of other stuff so its been a hella good time gaming this year so far friends. Can't wait for FF7Rebirth

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I came across Majuular a little while ago and he rapidly became one of my favorite YouTube guys. Smart, funny, well researched, and a real nice soothing chill voice. Up there with Sean Seanson and CityPlannerPlays.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 11, 2024

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Breath of the Wild solved the yellow paint problem seven years ago by simply making every surface climbable.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh and I don't necessarily mind yellow paint but I'm very amused by it apparently being on every single step on that cliff face?? Like are people getting halfway up and then not figuring out they could keep climbing the same handholds that brought them that far?

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I don’t care about yellow paint but that Uncharted-style climbing where you just push the stick toward the next handhold is boring and sucks, and it felt particularly bad in the FF7R demo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I feel there should be other ways to direct players that doesn’t involve yellow paint but what do I know

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chev posted:

First, it used to be done diegetically, ie the red barrels were the in-game Red Barrel: We explode'em good! brand. It's done in real life, we make dangerous or important stuff bright colors so people will notice them. We put signs around them, leading to them, we put decals on them. We do not apply random splotches of paint. And because it works diegetically and also like that in real life, this prompts the inverse reaction: who's the goober who went around painting cliffs in yellow?

Second, it's the detective vision problem: those objects need to be highlighted in intrusive way because they didn't think of using the non-intrusive way. There's a whole bunch of tricks, in cinema, art and gaming, designed to direct the attention of the viewer or player and highlight specific objects, and yellow paint games just don't use them. Like, why do those climbable rocks look so much like the non-climbable ones that you have to apply splotches of paint? Because the art director's poo poo, that's why. Different rock colors, different values, different lighting, different texture, surrouding layout, there's so much stuff they could've used,tricks invented centuries ago, usually during renaissance. But of course underpaid and overworked artists just aren't taught them properly.

Valve does this and they still have playtesters get stuck on things

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

I've been enjoying his Ultima retrospective series, because it's nice to have a more thorough review than the old Spoony ones.

I loved the spooky reviews back in the day. Then I decided to see what he is up to and its just really sad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Once DarkSydePhil finally retires from streaming, I suspect this'll be relieved just a bit

Also I assure you they probably tried at least a few more subtle markers before the paint

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 11, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

haveblue posted:

Valve did this 20 years ago when they still made games and they still have playtesters get stuck on things

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

It's very funny to me when games take the opposite tack and include stuff that is never telegraphed in any way. In Pokemon, you want to evolve Farfetch'd into Sirfetch'd? Good loving luck figuring that out. Want to find the new Meloetta encounter? What Meloetta encounter??

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

haveblue posted:

Valve does this and they still have playtesters get stuck on things
Given how less striking Portal 2 was compared to Portal I feel this says more about the flaws of their playtesting and how little trust they have in their testers and players than it actually does about people's ability to figure out games.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Players don't read most of the helpful text put on screen, they're never going to figure out visually hidden things on their own.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Game Grumps voice: The game should just teach you, like Mega Man X!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They should simply tell playtesters that if they do not figure out what object to climb in ten minutes, the room will be flooded with nerve toxins.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yellow paint is most necessary in games where they want to make it look good by pitting misleading details everywhere but not implementing interactivity for them because that would take time and thought, so you need something to indicate interactability that doesnt ruin the "vibe" they added the fake details to get to begin with. I think I first saw it as white stuff that was supposed to represent places where previous people had used climbing chalk and it was leftover, so it was at least a little diagetic then. I have definitely played games where they didnt use it and I wished they had.

I likes the old glow and sparkle or three lights or floating prompt appoach better myself, because it can get stronger over time the more a player seems stuck.

It is unnecesarry in games where the only things that look interactive are actually interactive but you cant make a modern triple A game that way! Only indie games done with certain styles can afford to do that sort of thing.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 11, 2024

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Yellow paint is the stupidest solution to the issue of testers not finding stuff. For one thing, I think the outliers ought to be simply discounted. It's not a product safety issue. You don't need to issue an unmissable warning to all players not to miss the ladder because one guy missed the ladder. But aside from that, there are plenty of good ways to signpost things without just throwing up your hands and going "you know what, gently caress it, just follow the paint".

I mean, paint is okay in situations where paint makes sense, but if I saw a ladder in real life just absolutely covered in spilled yellow paint I'd probably instinctively not want to touch it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Valve's play testers remain the dumbest

Pinterest Mom posted:

Breath of the Wild solved the yellow paint problem seven years ago by simply making every surface climbable.

Then it solved that problem by making it rain every time you tried

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i think it's less that there's one oblivious guy that misses all the ladders (though those exist), and more that everyone has a small chance of overlooking something, and with games selling millions of copies that would still be a lot of frustrated players over the course of a whole game.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Then it solved that problem by making it rain every time you tried

Then it solved that problem with

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think it's less about missing the handholds and more about now players will go around interacting with every little dent in a cliffside thinking they can climb it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Go with what God of War 2018 did, which was to write it into the plot that all the places you would climb in the future were revealed to someone in a prophecy so they went around the world preemptively tagging them all

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Give every character a jetpack, problem solved and I'm not even joking after watching geralt slowly climb up and down ladders a hundred times as I make my way though witcher 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Give every character a dragon

fixed

more Drakan-likes imho

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rinkles posted:

i think it's less that there's one oblivious guy that misses all the ladders (though those exist), and more that everyone has a small chance of overlooking something, and with games selling millions of copies that would still be a lot of frustrated players over the course of a whole game.
They should have some more faith in their players to overcome frustrations in good faith. Entire genres of game have lived and died on the player being stuck and enjoying every minute of it, it's not the end of the world if a player misses something and has to run around for awhile to figure out where to go. If it happens constantly, that's an issue to be addressed, but robbing the player of their ability to feel like they ever figured out where to go out of a deathly fear of "player frustration" cheapens the whole experience.

Funnily enough one of the only times I got truly stuck in a (non-puzzle) game in the past couple of years was in Elden Ring, and it was because I missed a ladder: a ridiculously tall skinny ladder leading up a massive cliff face to get up to Mt. Gelmir. It barely even makes sense that it's there and I ran around in the area for like 30 minutes trying to work out where to go until I caught sight of it. It's easy to imagine that happening to someone and going "stupid rear end game design, gently caress this game" but if they do that, they were already looking for a reason to quit. Design games for the people who want to be playing them.

(I'm not arguing that this ladder shouldn't have been signposted better, just that the fact that I got stuck did not diminish my opinion of the game and worst case scenario I would have looked up where to go)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nobody likes yellow paint because it is a "diegetic" cue that nobody actually believes looks diegetic. Thank you.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I said come in! posted:

I am the dumb rear end in a top hat that is the reason why that yellow paint is necessary.

I'll get lost in a corridor after you play a cutscene in it.

FF7 Rebirth has a serious too pretty to be visually parsed problem for me. I climbed onto several roofs in Nibel but it's impossible to tell which objects will be mounted, I just slammed into crates until I got up. But honestly, I think it would have made more sense to have a non-diegetic glowing yellow arrow at the first handhold like they do with ladders.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Games are too detailed for players it seems. Please make them look worse, around PS3 quality but with higher resolutions and framerates should suffice

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

What these over-detailed games really need is an entire team making animations for the protagonist fondling every useless greeble in the world, trying to check if it has any function, then shrugging and shaking their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Cloud swings his sword at a rock.
Cloud (loudly): "I can't use these two items together!"