Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

John Murdoch posted:

The classic example from Civ V requires you to have your American archaeologist dig up an artifact in Egypt with a German archaeologist in close proximity.

Raiders of the Lost Ark; that's the achievement name too.

Edit: Throwing in these two because I came across them while looking up the above and they were cute:

One of the achievements in VI is even a reference to V. In the latter, when you became culturally dominant over someone else, their leader would pop up to grouse at you about how their people are now "buying your blue jeans and listening to your pop music". Since the line didn't change depending on which civs were involved, this was sometimes unintentionally comical. Firaxis obviously realized this by the time the expansions for VI rolled around; if you win a culture vic as Genghis Khan you get the achievement Buying your Deels and Listening to Your Throat Singing.

Also I checked and I have both of those from V, so go me. Not the spoilered one though sadly, it's real tough to set up organically.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I am not a fan of PvP or PvPvE, so the Dark Zones were not my jam, but Division 2 is a very solid game with a very robust endgame as the PMC rolls in with gear as good as the players.

To be honest, I'm not really either. But I still really enjoyed it, it was just a great tense feeling the whole time. In honesty it rarely turned into PvP, but it could at any time and it really upped the stakes and made it memorable.

I'm not good enough at shooters to enjoy PvP usually, to be honest.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the game, is fun

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Meowywitch posted:

the game, is fun

big if true

(I'm downloading The Division 1 and I might play it)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Roblo posted:

To be honest, I'm not really either. But I still really enjoyed it, it was just a great tense feeling the whole time. In honesty it rarely turned into PvP, but it could at any time and it really upped the stakes and made it memorable.

I'm not good enough at shooters to enjoy PvP usually, to be honest.

The handful of times I tried the Dark Zone in Division 2 there was a roaming group that just killed everyone that they came across. Not sure I ever made it out with an item.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My favorite part of The Division is that it’s very open with the titular Division being a terrible idea. Outside of the player pretty much all the good guys in the Division are dead and it’s mostly just a faction of boss enemies. The JTF does like 90 percent of the work with the player being their hitman.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eh this post was fun but full of spoilers

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Feb 8, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Meowywitch posted:

the game, is fun

Is this, sentence format

a reference to something?

John Murdoch posted:

The classic example from Civ V requires you to have your American archaeologist dig up an artifact in Egypt with a German archaeologist in close proximity.

Raiders of the Lost Ark; that's the achievement name too.

Edit: Throwing in these two because I came across them while looking up the above and they were cute:

One of my rarest achievement is Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition, which is cute but I don't know why it's so rare. You just launch an Inquisition as Spain. The Inquisition is a function of the game, so really the situation is nobody wants to play as Spain.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Nobody is expected to get it, obviously.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
^^ :argh: :argh: :argh:

Its rare because no one expects it

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Infinite Wealth has a smackdown option for when you are way more powerful than your opponents and there is basically zero chance you'll lose. It skips all the turn based stuff and just has your team beat down the enemy in a couple seconds. Still get the exp and everything too!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

credburn posted:

One of my rarest achievement is Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition, which is cute but I don't know why it's so rare. You just launch an Inquisition as Spain. The Inquisition is a function of the game, so really the situation is nobody wants to play as Spain.

I think most people don't use the mechanic and might not realize how strong it is defensively, plus most people playing as Spain would rather use the unit to spread religion to others instead. As it happens my rarest 0.4% achievement is also a religions one from Civ VI (Raid Healer) for healing 7 religious units at the same time with a Guru.

As for my personal favorite Civ VI achievement, Khmer are a civilization in that game, and of their city names is Angkor Wat. As a famous temple complex the Angkor Wat is also a major wonder in the game, and any civ can build generic Wat temples if they pick it as a religious belief, and so you can get this:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Should have been "baby don't hurt me"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solenna posted:

Infinite Wealth has a smackdown option for when you are way more powerful than your opponents and there is basically zero chance you'll lose. It skips all the turn based stuff and just has your team beat down the enemy in a couple seconds. Still get the exp and everything too!

You get less experience (70 percent) but it’s so worth it. Especially since the experience from enemies weak enough to smack down is basically 0 anyway, and you still get all the cash.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just did The Vanished in Far Cry 6 and that was a fun surprise. Not always a big fan of the Cross promotional stuff but if it's done right it can be pretty cool

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You get less experience (70 percent) but it’s so worth it. Especially since the experience from enemies weak enough to smack down is basically 0 anyway, and you still get all the cash.

Man, I just assumed I’d be taking a cash/item drop rate penalty too because of how convenient it is. Infinite Wealth is really gonna make it hard to back to LAD7 in pure gameplay terms, everything except having to spent significant amounts of money for the privilege of cosplaying is just a big improvement.

Oh, speaking of I love that they made the theme of jobs in LAD8 you going on tourist trips and coming up with dumb ideas while on the trips, it’s like Revelations in the older games but without the part where engaging with them could be a miserable slog.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just played the demo for FF7Rebirth, and knowing the whole plot of the game, I like the little details that you can notice, such as (spoilers for the whole game) the blonde hair sticking out of the one Shinra Officer's helmet or how Sephiroth asks Cloud if he wants to say some words to his sword.

Honestly if it wasn't coming out in like a few weeks and I didn't have LAD8 to play I'd probably continue my Hard playthrough of Remake. Stupid not-recovering-MP-except-from-ethers mechanic made me stop last time :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Philippe posted:

I'm on the fence about it. On one hand, it turbo sucks that devs can just do this and consumers can't do anything about it (other than piracy). On the other, I wasn't really missing anything before I knew about the Terminator missions, because there's so much drat game in Breakpoint.

Ages ago the Japanese version of Phantasy Star Online 2 had a collaboration deal to add in a whole rear end Neon Genesis Evangelion event, complete with some unique cosmetic items. Part of their deal was that once the event was over the devs had to literally delete and and all trace of the event from the game, except for the cosmetic items people had. So you had no way to get those items ever again, and they could never really re-run it again because those files were just loving gone. It really sucks that poo poo like that can lead to stuff just being taken away forever.

More similarly to the assassin's creed thing though; Monster Hunter World had a bunch of tie-in content that was later removed from the game for one reason or another. Most of it is Playstation exclusive, but some of it isn't. Such as the Assassin's Creed stealth mantle! Those events are long gone now so you can't get them anymore, but if you're willing to cheat you can just give yourself the item since the data for the item still exists because they didn't take it away from players.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Ages ago the Japanese version of Phantasy Star Online 2 had a collaboration deal to add in a whole rear end Neon Genesis Evangelion event, complete with some unique cosmetic items. Part of their deal was that once the event was over the devs had to literally delete and and all trace of the event from the game, except for the cosmetic items people had. So you had no way to get those items ever again, and they could never really re-run it again because those files were just loving gone. It really sucks that poo poo like that can lead to stuff just being taken away forever.

I was chatting with some friends about adjacent stuff earlier today, after this article was published about someone finding a Zod rune in Diablo 2 and immediately selling it to a vendor. A few anecdotes:

1. Someone in Diablo 2 was lucky enough to find an ethereal Cruel Colossus Blade of Quickness (a.k.a. the strongest base two-handed sword in the game, with one enchantment that greatly increases base damage, another that greatly increases attack speed, and the ethereal trait, which further increases damage but makes it unrepairable). They were donated a Zod rune to make it indestructible, and also received a regular tithe of meta currency from one player in exchange for not selling the sword...because it would immediately start getting duped all to hell, crashing the market for other high-value weapons.

2. Neopets recently started giving away copies of some of the rarest in-game items, paintbrushes that let you customize the colors of your pets. This created gigantic amounts of angst on the part of the richest Neopets players, despite the fact that the in-game currency cannot be exchanged for real-world money and the economy has been stupidly inflationary for decades. We're talking forums posts saying things like "what's the point in playing if I can't have billions more money than other players"

3. Similarly, one of the rarest (and thus, most expensive) items in Runescape was given out in a holiday event like 20 years ago, and never seen since. One of the Runescape developers likes to taunt players by teasing that they're going to make that item available again. In at least one case this actually crashed the market for the item for a brief period before the players realized they'd been had.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was chatting with some friends about adjacent stuff earlier today, after this article was published about someone finding a Zod rune in Diablo 2 and immediately selling it to a vendor. A few anecdotes:

1. Someone in Diablo 2 was lucky enough to find an ethereal Cruel Colossus Blade of Quickness (a.k.a. the strongest base two-handed sword in the game, with one enchantment that greatly increases base damage, another that greatly increases attack speed, and the ethereal trait, which further increases damage but makes it unrepairable). They were donated a Zod rune to make it indestructible, and also received a regular tithe of meta currency from one player in exchange for not selling the sword...because it would immediately start getting duped all to hell, crashing the market for other high-value weapons.

2. Neopets recently started giving away copies of some of the rarest in-game items, paintbrushes that let you customize the colors of your pets. This created gigantic amounts of angst on the part of the richest Neopets players, despite the fact that the in-game currency cannot be exchanged for real-world money and the economy has been stupidly inflationary for decades. We're talking forums posts saying things like "what's the point in playing if I can't have billions more money than other players"

3. Similarly, one of the rarest (and thus, most expensive) items in Runescape was given out in a holiday event like 20 years ago, and never seen since. One of the Runescape developers likes to taunt players by teasing that they're going to make that item available again. In at least one case this actually crashed the market for the item for a brief period before the players realized they'd been had.

Online game players have the stupidest mentality in regard to exclusivity and it actively ruins games. Hell, it's what killed WoW for me back in the old days. The AQ Opening event required an entire guild to work together to do raids for a specific quest chain. Out of everyone doing the quest, doing the raid, in the entire guild; one person would get the title for doing all of this. One person per-server. So right off the bat it's kind of dog poo poo, it never feels good when everyone's working towards the same thing but only one person is going to get it ever. But on top of that, there was a mount! For a period of time after the title was attained anyone else who did the thing would get a mount, an exclusive mount that was never released again anywhere else. Except internet was poo poo, game stability was poo poo, and in PVP servers it was nearly impossible to reach the place once it was open - assuming it was even open during waking hours to begin with. So ultimately despite working my rear end off for it, I barely missed the deadline and didn't get the mount.

Every year since then there would always be people who suggested "Hey, maybe run that event again or something so people can get the mount again" only to be met by an insane tide of people saying no, never do that. It's exclusive and unique and it would somehow diminish the accomplishment of the increasingly small number of people still playing who have it if anyone else were ever able to get it. So it's never been run again, and after Burning Crusade new servers stopped running the event too. For people like myself who collected mounts, that was a hole in the collection that could never be filled and was made all the worse when they added the achievement system in Wrath which gave you mounts for having mounts, so you would always be behind in mount total by one.

And in a similar whinging tangent: in Final Fantasy XIV there's a PVP mode called The Feast. It's an arena style duel that loving sucks. Virtually no one likes it. The devs, however, spent years desperately trying to keep it alive by attaching countless unique cosmetic awards to it, mounts, minions and entire armour and weapon sets exclusive to this mode. Specifically exclusive to like the top ten players of this mode per server. What makes this even dumber is that on many servers, entire data-centers in fact, the top ten players were effectively the same ten people every season because they engineered a system where they would just win-trade day in and day out, and anyone who tried to play by the rules as intended would basically be blacklisted. So you have a situation where a wide array of completely unique items were being handed off to a tiny percentage of the population and then being vanished forever. Again, people have constantly been asking for re-releases or reskins of these items so other people can get them because it seems like an insane waste of art assets, only to be met by a wall of other players adamant that maybe you should just get good at PVP if you want these rewards instead of "taking them away from other players".

I just don't get it, MMO players loving suck and are the worst part of any given MMO.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Neopets is a funny one given it had a change of ownership recently and is basically in 'making it an actual sort of game again' mode after years of languishing in various grift dungeons.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

Online game players have the stupidest mentality in regard to exclusivity and it actively ruins games. Hell, it's what killed WoW for me back in the old days. The AQ Opening event required an entire guild to work together to do raids for a specific quest chain. Out of everyone doing the quest, doing the raid, in the entire guild; one person would get the title for doing all of this. One person per-server. So right off the bat it's kind of dog poo poo, it never feels good when everyone's working towards the same thing but only one person is going to get it ever. But on top of that, there was a mount! For a period of time after the title was attained anyone else who did the thing would get a mount, an exclusive mount that was never released again anywhere else. Except internet was poo poo, game stability was poo poo, and in PVP servers it was nearly impossible to reach the place once it was open - assuming it was even open during waking hours to begin with. So ultimately despite working my rear end off for it, I barely missed the deadline and didn't get the mount.

One of the Goon Squad Horde dudes had all the materials for the mount, transferred servers to a fresh server, waited until they'd unlocked the final stage, grabbed the mount and transferred off.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Nuebot posted:

I just don't get it, MMO players loving suck and are the worst part of any given MMO.

This has been my opinion since the days of Everquest. There's very few MMOs I've played where I felt the people didn't diminish the experience immensely.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nuebot posted:

Generally hard agree. But at the end of the day both of these calls were made by the company making the game, not the vocal minority complaining.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't care if it's the wrong thread, this pissed me off too. Let It Die isn't an MMO and it has had a ton of those that bother me. It's a Grasshopper Manufacture games so there have been sick tie-ins with the likes of No More Heroes and Killer7 complete with outfit sets, reusable weapon blueprints, and unique moves for equipping it all.

naturally they never ran the loving event again so no one gets to be travis and do screw crusher death kicks anymore

There was also one with Gravity Rush that really pissed me off because it ran for a long time in Japan, but was not added to every other version till after maintenance so you had maybe a few days instead of a month to get the coolest-rear end reference gear. Can't qute hold the Fear of Missing Out if you force people to miss out.

The special decals only buyable with real life money via slot machine gave you unique attacks and animations never seen or obtainable again. What a complete loving waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu0E6A3RIYA&t=4s

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Feb 10, 2024

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

credburn posted:

This has been my opinion since the days of Everquest. There's very few MMOs I've played where I felt the people didn't diminish the experience immensely.

City of Heroes is the only MMO I ever played where the player base was generally pretty drat cool.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

City of Heroes is the only MMO I ever played where the player base was generally pretty drat cool.

I remember playing that with goons back in the day, when we all made Agent Smith characters and quoted the Matrix. We were in PC Gamer!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

flatluigi posted:

it tends to more often be the licensed property not wanting to provide their license for an extended period of time. not a lot you can do as a developer if the tie-in IP's owners go 'yeah we're no longer letting you use the IP'

other than 'don't use the IP in the first place' which tends to be in the hands of the top level people at the companies instead of the devs

Okay but why, are they afraid that people will keep buying the game and it'll contribute to a slight uptick in their sales too?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

Okay but why, are they afraid that people will keep buying the game and it'll contribute to a slight uptick in their sales too?
Welcome to 2024. Every interaction must be monetized. If it isn't monetized? it is you just can't see how because your data generates the money.

The world is not for you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of the people in charge also have no idea what video games are and think it's like, a Happy Meal tie-in or something.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ms Adequate posted:

though I don't understand legal stuff to know why license holders always opt that way, it's extremely rare for licenses to be given out in perpetuity instead of a few years or so. the only options from the side not holding the license when it expires are to try to get a new contract or to pull the content (up to and including pulling the entire thing from sale, like what happened with spec ops the line)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing through Lair of the Clockwork God, a platformer/point-and-click adventure game hybrid that can get pretty meta in how it plays with game conventions. I had a good laugh when I ran into the bane of existence, a slide puzzle, only for one of the characters to say how tedious they are and that he'll probably just blow it up to get past it later. And that's what you end up doing :unsmith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

So many lives could be saved if people remembered to check their pools for giant, mutant sharks.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It is incredibly worth it.

And oh my god Crazy Delivery is basically a more advanced version of the can collecting in Like a Dragon it is completely derailing me. I haven't even gotten to Animal Crossing: Yakuza Edition yet!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Cythereal posted:

So many lives could be saved if people remembered to check their pools for giant, mutant sharks.

Did they ever add in the option to invert controls?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FreshFeesh posted:

Did they ever add in the option to invert controls?

Yeah, you hold the controller upside down.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

normally call-backs and tie-ins to other games in a franchise are so ham-fisted that they're really grating, but like a dragon gaiden's been pretty consistently hitting the sweet spot of "lol,, no way, i remember that!" and "oh poo poo who is that blue haired granny in osaka? could it be?"

my big beef with the whole game is just that it's too drat short.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the trick is with the LAD games is that it more often makes sense to have callbacks and minor characters pop up again, because the whole premise of the games has always been very local; you're always coming back to the familiar streets of Kamurocho and other places, seeing them change a bit each time, in an almost episodic fashion. You can picture these characters running into each other again as they walk the same streets every day for years.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the trick is with the LAD games is that it more often makes sense to have callbacks and minor characters pop up again, because the whole premise of the games has always been very local; you're always coming back to the familiar streets of Kamurocho and other places, seeing them change a bit each time, in an almost episodic fashion. You can picture these characters running into each other again as they walk the same streets every day for years.

yeah, for sure. but there's also a ton of ways it could have read as forced and hokey and for the most part, the LAD has been good at not letting them become that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

NoiseAnnoys posted:

my big beef with the whole game is just that it's too drat short.

I’m about 30 hours in and at maybe the halfway mark and somehow I agree with this, it definitely feels short even though it’s objectively one of the longer games I’ve played in the last year.