Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I don't have any eagle maneuver because I hate that they are limited. I feel that spamables are more right in this game. In EDF I would have not problem equiping a few limited, but in EDF the limited ones refill with credits you gain in the battlefield killing bugs. Here if you have 8 nests and 1 single use bomb, you are no gonna get much utility for that. Maybe kill one Titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Tei posted:

I don't have any eagle maneuver because I hate that they are limited. I feel that spamables are more right in this game. In EDF I would have not problem equiping a few limited, but in EDF the limited ones refill with credits you gain in the battlefield killing bugs. Here if you have 8 nests and 1 single use bomb, you are no gonna get much utility for that. Maybe kill one Titan.

The eagle strikes have limited short cooldown uses before a longer cooldown kicks in refills all the uses.

I’m pretty confident the only limited strategem is the reinforcement?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is it dumb to take more than one eagle stratagem? It says uses next to them, but you have to send it to rearm. Can it keep using the many use strats even if you use the other ones up?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The way it works is, each Eagle strategem starts fully loaded with its X number of uses that are individually used (not shared). If you use every single eagle strategem, it will automatically go on reload for ~3m and then you will get all uses for all airstrikes back.

Otherwise, you can you can call the Eagle reload manually at any other time to restock all your uses, but all Eagle strategems will be unavailable regardless of how many were left, and unused instances do not stack upon return. The time to rearm is also not affected by how many uses you still had outstanding.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RoyalScion posted:

The way it works is, each Eagle strategem starts fully loaded with its X number of uses that are individually used (not shared). If you use every single eagle strategem, it will automatically go on reload for ~3m and then you will get all uses for all airstrikes back.

Otherwise, you can you can call the Eagle reload manually at any other time to restock all your uses, but all Eagle strategems will be unavailable regardless of how many were left, and unused instances do not stack upon return. The time to rearm is also not affected by how many uses you still had outstanding.

Cool so you can have four eagle slots and use them all up before rearm. I like the aircraft support thing as a gimmick but I keep worrying that I might be wasting shots or something taking multiple weapons.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The one-handed shield and the more sccurate SMG feel alright against robots. Just gives some breathing room while I aim

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The basic 'big explosion' ordinal, the one you start off with, is very useful and I always keep it. I can't remember which one it was, but there's a supposed 'small area' ordinal that ALWAYS gets me and my teammates killed because it actually covers a huge area far away from where you call it in. The gatling cannon one is actually quite good for keeping lightly armored swarms at bay.

For Eagle I like the larger bomb strafing run one - quick call in, lots of damage, relatively easy to direct and not kill teammates. I haven't found any of the others I've unlocked so far as useful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bardeh posted:

The basic 'big explosion' ordinal, the one you start off with, is very useful and I always keep it. I can't remember which one it was, but there's a supposed 'small area' ordinal that ALWAYS gets me and my teammates killed because it actually covers a huge area far away from where you call it in. The gatling cannon one is actually quite good for keeping lightly armored swarms at bay.

For Eagle I like the larger bomb strafing run one - quick call in, lots of damage, relatively easy to direct and not kill teammates. I haven't found any of the others I've unlocked so far as useful.

Eagle napalm and cluster bomb are awesome because they're extremely ooh rah and kill shitloads of stuff. I agree that the gun is great, short call time and it will kill those stupid bile spew grubs. I haven't unlocked it yet but I feel like running all three with the 500kg would be perfectly fine until I send it home to rearm.

I also unlocked the autocannon and it absolutely rips.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea I'm still using the eagle napalm pretty much because it looks rad and you can call it in super close.

E) also the walking barrage owns

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Game didn't give me any of the rewards for two missions and I can't use the ship menus lmao... Ughhhhh....

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I like Eagle strikes because of the fast call in. Napalm is great for throwing behind you, airstrikes for clearing stuff. Only orbital I use (at 10) is 380mm HE so far for just "kill stuff in this general area in particular", like big nests, but maybe the spread of that one is a bit too big for clearing out nests.

Also I don't think I can go back to recoilless after the devs gave us free railguns for so long

Edit: How good are the different drone backpacks (laser/gun/etc) ?

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 11, 2024

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

JBP posted:

Game didn't give me any of the rewards for two missions and I can't use the ship menus lmao... Ughhhhh....

Yeah this happened to me randomly the other day, but worked again next time I played. There are lots of issues which are there one moment then gone the next. I entered my ship outside of the world geometry one time, and have been knocked into the void by bug chargers then forced to commit suicide by holding a grenade.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I like orbital strikes. I'm using the airburst, the walking barrage and the laser. There's an upgrade to reduce the call-in time by a second, which is nice. The laser reliably kills a group or a couple of heavies. The walking barrage is unlikely to produce teamkills as it moves away from you. The airburst is fantastic but it's more likely to kill your friends due to its large area, so you oughta consider a suit of armour that increases your throw range

I used the smoke one once against robots and it seemed to work which is a nice surprise

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Between stamina rapidly falling, randomly getting hit in a limb that, despite being at 60% health, means I can’t move, tiny gun magazines and long rear end reloads it feels like this game hasn’t been tuned at all for offline play. Really bums me out.

It's an online-only game, homes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

idiotsavant posted:

Game looks good, tho I’ve read that the anti-cheat is pretty aggressive? and the monetization seems so as well. Is this just what GaaS is these days though?

The monetization seemed shockingly relaxed to me. The items are actually pretty cheap, you get decent amounts of premium currency just by playing, and the good stuff is in the battle pass which you only progress through by playing, and there's even no premium track.

JBP posted:

For me the game kinda crashed during a drop once, but in an amusing way. After a few minutes of my Hellpod just flying down towards the planet, all the other pods from the background fell out of view one by one. Then the nose cone's fire effect very slowly started separating from my Hellpod and drifting to the side. And then a few minutes later the music just stopped, so I was permanently falling in silence while the fire effect slowly drifted out to space.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 11, 2024

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There seems to be a bug with higher difficulty missions where even if you compete the main objectives the game doesn’t register it so you don’t get any rewards from it :effort:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

RoyalScion posted:

There seems to be a bug with higher difficulty missions where even if you compete the main objectives the game doesn’t register it so you don’t get any rewards from it :effort:

That's just a bug that happens in general, not exclusive to higher tier missions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've had that happen three times. I'm mad because I got a big number of samples to go towards 20% eagle cool down and the game ate them.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I've put my early money specializing into eagle strikes, 3 and EAT or sometimes taking all 4 slots and scavenging for a heavy weapon. It's's great just calling down repeated strikes every 8 seconds. If we're traveling far or there's some downtime you can manually send the plane back to rearm. Three minutes is pretty short, especially since some other strikes have a 3 or 4 minute cool down after one shot anyways.

You definitely have to think ahead to not be rearming at crucial moments, but otherwise a very fun explosion filled way to live.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol game is way more unstable on PS5 since the new update. lot's of network errors and crashes as opposed to launch day. friends list not loading properly, issues with initial log in, etc

seems like the devs are putting out some fires atm, i wish them luck because this game rules when it's not loving up

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love the game so the constant gently caress ups are hurting me bad.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

LeFishy posted:

The eagle strikes have limited short cooldown uses before a longer cooldown kicks in refills all the uses.

I’m pretty confident the only limited strategem is the reinforcement?

What!, oh thanks!, I had no idea. I trough "2 uses" was really the entire game.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lol game is way more unstable on PS5 since the new update. lot's of network errors and crashes as opposed to launch day. friends list not loading properly, issues with initial log in, etc

seems like the devs are putting out some fires atm, i wish them luck because this game rules when it's not loving up

yea, sometimes is hard to say, because network conditions can cause or trigger other bugs, but yestarday was more unstable than friday in PS5

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
PC having stability issues as well this morning. First time seeing this on login:

I waited on the screen for a bit and got in sucessfully, went to go buy a new Strategem and the menu wouldn't load:

I was still able to head over to the Automaton Campaign zone and join some in progress missions on the map. Pleased to report that Automaton 'nam is loving terrifying just as other people in this thread have said. Heeth has nothing on this.

Got 2/3 of the way through a campaign with randoms on Hard then my game crashed when I tried to change my cape. Recommend not trying to interact with the armory unless you are between campaigns.

e: Checked the steamdb playercount on a whim and the game still has a ton of players on. Looks like they've been hitting a new peak every day!

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 11, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Its broken on PC too today. Even if you can get in rewards and stuff won't always load.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Diephoon posted:

PC having stability issues as well this morning. First time seeing this on login:

I waited on the screen for a bit and got in sucessfully, went to go buy a new Strategem and the menu wouldn't load:

I was still able to head over to the Automaton Campaign zone and join some in progress missions on the map. Pleased to report that Automaton 'nam is loving terrifying just as other people in this thread have said. Heeth has nothing on this.

Got 2/3 of the way through a campaign with randoms on Hard then my game crashed when I tried to change my cape. Recommend not trying to interact with the armory unless you are between campaigns.

This is exactly my issue. Don't bother imo you won't get your medals or other loot. I was playing for a good time so it isn't that bad but the game ate so many materials that would have yielded fun stuff.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

This is exactly my issue. Don't bother imo you won't get your medals or other loot. I was playing for a good time so it isn't that bad but the game ate so many materials that would have yielded fun stuff.

I was eventually able to get the Strategem buying menu to load, and I spent medals on a new helmet and armor (which is why I tried to put them on and ended up crashing). Guess I'll see if I still have them after I get my homework done today.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I don't hear enough people talking about how good the jetpack is, it allows you to play wildly recklessly. She's got a ~20 second CD that gives you 3 or so seconds of upward and forward travel. It's obviously good for getting up to places you can't - a lot of the buildings and walls around your extract zone. It's got a jump and then a deceleration burn when you near the ground, meaning you can jump off of any height and not suffer damage or ragdoll. Moving up and down Z-levels is obviously a godsend for kiting or evading. It moves you faster than sprint speed, seems to break melee enemy targeting until you touch down and renders you almost invincible while flying - melee is out and ranged aren't good enough at tracking. Jumping, however, doesn't interrupt entering stratagems, stim healing or reloading, so it gives you seconds of peace to do any while you're flying. Finally, it can triggered almost immediately after rising from a dive, to pull yourself up off the ground and away. Fully sick, premium 2002 Battlefront Arc Trooper gameplay.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, also got the issue with rewards and results seemingly not registering. Here's hoping that perhaps they're just queued up somewhere and will get applied eventually.

On the bright side, I just played an automaton mission for the first time and goddamn it owns so much. It's got a completely different vibe and gameplay dynamic compared to fighting bugs, it's almost like a whole new game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I love the jetpack too. Nice part is that you can give one to a buddy after seven minutes.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Diephoon posted:

If you watch the entire opening cinematic, you can get in. I know, it's bizarre

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

raverrn posted:

I don't hear enough people talking about how good the jetpack is, it allows you to play wildly recklessly.

Is a playstyle.

I have seen a stream where the whole team had these fighting against the robots, and they would jump on top of buildings or escape large explosions, and looked really cool and useful, but I am sure the same setup would not be that useful against the bugs.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
What's the over/under on how long it will take for everyone's autocorrect to not change gatling into walking anymore?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Tei posted:

Is a playstyle.

I have seen a stream where the whole team had these fighting against the robots, and they would jump on top of buildings or escape large explosions, and looked really cool and useful, but I am sure the same setup would not be that useful against the bugs.

Its actually super useful vs bugs because a lot of them can't climb for poo poo, it turns out. Also hoppin over streams of water and mocking bugs for their hydrophobia

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tei posted:

Is a playstyle.

You can fly on top of stuff and become more or less invulnerable to bugs. It's also the only reliable way to not get hit by bilespewers.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This game is amazing when it works but goddamn, it needed an actual beta test and like maybe 6 more months in the oven.

Sony was publishing, I’m sure they could have found the resources to make it happen.

Lol now claiming items on the battle pass is busted!

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 11, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

Fortunately I don't seem to have lost any progress. Was able to get my 3/3 campaign and I still had the armor and new strategem I bought. Gotta learn how to take down bot drop ships with the Recoilless Rifle. Defintely felt good to have one against the bots but the free backup Railgun didn't hurt either.

Jump pack is fun but takes a lot of learning on what exactly you can get over/climb on. I think it'll be very useful for assault bot fortifications once the grand campaign shifts over to that front.

One big adjustment I had to make: Bots place their own mines around their outposts and sometimes whole minefields. Don't walk into em while staring at your radar like I did.

e: clip of shooting down a drop ship with the RR
https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1amnqeb/psa_you_can_shoot_down_bot_drops_with_the/

https://i.imgur.com/geGHuo9.mp4

Discord poster said that a single gatling will typically kill everything in a drop ship before it can drop, will have to try that once I unlock it.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 11, 2024

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
A game hasn't put this big a poo poo-eating grin on my face in a very long time, it's just pure and addictive fun.

It also struck me that finally someone made a game that controls as well as MGS V. Diving to prone is straight out of the Venom Snake textbook.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

JBP posted:

drat I must have gotten lucky then, because I just finished a successful solo run on difficulty 4, and I would have been pretty pissed if it didn't count seeing as it was the first time I've managed to actually get a successful run and extract (why do crushers have to complicate everything solo :mad:)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Diephoon posted:

One big adjustment I had to make: Bots place their own mines around their outposts and sometimes whole minefields. Don't walk into em while staring at your radar like I did.

cursed on the grey planet with red grass :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

our first full mission on extreme difficulty against the robots was absolute pandemonium

turns out they have an eye of sauron base, and if it spots you, which it will this is helldivers, it endlessly calls in reinforcements

we couldn't get through the hordes to destroy it, one of our team made a heroic action movie one man run to call in a hellbomb and destroy it solo - naturally this didn't work because he called in the bomb in a terrible location and died but that's a much more appropriate ending for this game

then when we were running away to try to get out of line of sight (on a giant open plain), the sky was absolutely filled with tracer rounds from the army chasing us

we finished that mission with 0 reinforcements and one player dead

that was a good way to unlock suicidal (which we then immediately banged out an easy clear on, turns out missions without infinite enemies are easier)

mortar turret fucks against the bots, it's a lot less dangerous to use against them than the bugs which have a ton of small fast units who get close too quickly

eagles are also superb, autocannon and railgun are both great