Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I love the pistol-flashlight and "Danver's" fingers merging into the pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How many times has that redhead with the two missing fingers shown up? Once in the first episode (wife of the abuser guy Navarro arrests), again in the second (says something about nobody knowing what happens at the research station? I don’t remember), and now at the laundromat in this episode (walks in right after Qaavik and the camera follows her briefly)?

I want to accuse this show of being predictable, but I have to admit that I can’t figure out why they’re dangling her in front of us like that. The people at the cannery know her name and recognize her, right? She can’t be like a deep-cover agent or an avatar of the goddess the kid draws or a ghost or some poo poo?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

According to the first episode, the redhead is named Blair and she says she doesn’t recognize the spiral when shown a picture in the second episode, but then looks like of shocked or affected when she walks away. In both episodes, her missing pinky and ring fingers are clearly, deliberately shown. In both scenes she’s also with the older lady who cleans the research station, who says Blair moved in with her after leaving her abusive husband.

She’s played by Kathryn Wilder. Maybe I’m just trying to invent an Errol Childress twist. The only other one I have is that Navarro has been imagining her entire relationship with Fiona Shaw, whose only ever actual contact with her was in the first episode, and we find out when Freshman drags two bodies into her house and she has no idea what is going on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lucky thing Petey didn't freeze to death in that shed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Golden Bee posted:

Interesting, dramatic ep…then I busted out laughing at the final needle drop.

Hahhahhahahahahah

I think the show has been "fine" so far and this episode in particular was one of the stronger ones, and also I am perfectly fine with the opening theme song even if it is a let-down given how strong the first couple season's theme songs were... but holy poo poo the closing songs for the last two episodes have been AWFUL, completely undercut the atmosphere and any positive feeling I had coming out of the ending.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm enjoying this season a lot, though it's not without some significant flaws. I'd still take it over S2. I haven't watched much of S3 because Alzheimer's/senility stuff fucks me up in a way that makes it difficult, so I dunno where I'd put this in the overall pantheon, but it's engaging and different and I appreciate that.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Have we got any backstory on how Chekov's polar bear got his eye injury? I hope the finale is just him eating people in the ice caves as they trickle in one by one.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Mordja posted:

Lucky thing Petey didn't freeze to death in that shed.

Did I miss something, because I interpreted as "hey kid, I hear you need a place to stay. Why don't I set you up in my tool shed. There's a plastic chair. You'll love it. Bring a blanket and a bucket to poo poo in because it's just a shed"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There hasn’t been any electronic interference of flickering of electronic lights since the first episode, has there? I guess they do notice in the phone recordings that it happens at the station and in the cave murder six years before, but it seems like something else that will ultimately have little significance.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I AM GRANDO posted:

There hasn’t been any electronic interference of flickering of electronic lights since the first episode, has there? I guess they do notice in the phone recordings that it happens at the station and in the cave murder six years before, but it seems like something else that will ultimately have little significance.

There was on the ice this episode

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Since we have zero True Detectives in four complete seasons of this TV show which is ostensibly about True Detectiving, and since we’ve had zero in the various True Detective threads stretching back ten years, I figured it was about time I stepped up.

There is absolutely zero evidence that the polar bear isn’t also the Lost Bear, previously known as the Tuunbaq.

Granted, this bear would have to do a lot of traveling across time and physical space, but these concepts mean nothing in the Spirit World, to a Spirit Bear.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Interesting, dramatic ep…then I busted out laughing at the final needle drop.

Hahhahhahahahahah

I can’t wait for the season finale’s somber cover of cotton eye joe over the closing credits.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I can’t wait for the season finale’s somber cover of cotton eye joe over the closing credits

British children’s choir: Draaaaaagulaaa-ahhhh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In a despairing, slow-drawn out wailing: ♪ "Won't the real Slim Shady please stand up?" ♪

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought this latest episode was refreshing. Finally, we’re getting the corrupt institutions putting real pressure on our true detectives. I thought it was pretty clear that Prior was going to kill Danvers, once he shot Heiss in front of her. Nice to see some real urgent and immediate stakes.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

We need to get Otis out of jail and get him to help us navigate the caves.

I'm going to steal some heroin out of the evidence room against my strong convictions to get him focused enough to do it.

Sol Star shoots Otis twice.

Freshman shoots Sol Star.

Navarro tells the freshman to clean up these bodies and dump them there.

Navarro tells Captain Danvers we need to go investigate the caves right now, apparently they don't need Otis anymore.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
On top of that I think they're going to coward out and not make Danvers or Navarro bad cops

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Too late I’ve already seen them be bad cops for 5 episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

covidstomper58 posted:

Navarro tells Captain Danvers we need to go investigate the caves right now, apparently they don't need Otis anymore.

Otis tapped directly on the map and told Danvers where the point they were looking for was when she said he had to before she'd give him the heroin. It would be a hell of a lot easier with him along for the ride to show them specifically where once they arrived, but before he showed Danvers where on the map they had no idea where to look beyond "somewhere high". It's still going to be dangerous and they'll probably rely on other signs like finding one of the stones that we learned in this episode locals would leave above underground cave locations as a warning marker, but they're now pressed for time with a lot more pressure on and having to take risks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheBizzness posted:

Has any of their own investigation turned up anything notable, or has it all been down to ghosts, random side characters popping in with a helpful clue, or wunderkind Pete?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

covidstomper58 posted:

I'm going to steal some heroin out of the evidence room against my strong convictions to get him focused enough to do it.

He told her where the entrance was right before she gave him the heroin. But she couldn't give him the heroin and have him shoot up at the rehab clinic so they had to drive all the way back to her house to make the deal in private.

A bit convoluted but not the worst plot contrivance. I guess Danvers would've known she didn't need Otis anymore once evil Prior shows up but presumably she wasn't cool with just letting him murke a key witness even if he already told her the cave location.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

covidstomper58 posted:

There are three options regarding the cave: the safe option, the dangerous option, or giving up.

They rejected giving up.

He was the safe option when the stakes were lower.

Now that the stakes are higher and he's gone they're choosing the dangerous option.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Final shot is going to be evil prior’s Russian mail order bride finally arriving and all of the remaining cast standing around laughing with their hands on their hips.

Whatever resolution we get next week is going to be dumb as hell and I’m excited to find out what it is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Power Walrus posted:

I thought this latest episode was refreshing. Finally, we’re getting the corrupt institutions putting real pressure on our true detectives. I thought it was pretty clear that Prior was going to kill Danvers, once he shot Heiss in front of her. Nice to see some real urgent and immediate stakes.

I made sense of his bad decisions as him trying to just suicide by his cop and escape his blackmail situation that way once it became clear that he wouldn’t be able to get Otis out of the house to kill him secretly, or maybe even before he entered the house if he realized that he’s too much of a dumb gently caress to ever pull off what he was attempting. Like, he has to know that pointing his gun at Danvers will prompt his son to kill him because Peter treats Danvers like a father figure and considers him an idiot he can barely stand.

His story to Peter about falling through the ice seems very much like a farewell gesture, like he’s realized there’s no way out of his situation because either the mine kills him/gets him sent to jail/whatever or he fails to get away with killing Otis.

We should know he’s a bad detective because Otis was checked into what has to be the only rehab place in town under his own name, and the staff seem fine with taking cops to go bother him and then walking away.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Robobot posted:

Also I enjoyed reading your write up.

Seldom Posts posted:

This is excellent, thank you really puts into words what I was feeling watching that episode. The only thing I would add is that the stuffed bear is a totem of her old life, her hanging on to it was showing how she hadn't really processed the trauma, and her throwing it away is her refusing to do that.
Thank you both! And totally agreed on the bear.

grobbo posted:

-Why does Danvers keep telling Peter to 'think! Think!' when there's not really a narrative reason why he *would* shoot his dad dead on the spot and he never seems at risk of siding with Hank? Wouldn't she be better off telling Hank to lower his gun and confess?
Hank has quite recently hosed up his son's face. The suggestion from Pete's response is that this was far from the first time it's occurred (that may even be text instead of subtext, can't be arsed to go back and look). On top of domestic violence, Pete learned a few hours earlier that Hank violated his privacy and tried to burn down his career for his own benefit - a career we know Pete feels strongly enough about to gently caress up his own family. On Danvers end, she's already tried and failed to elicit a confession or de-escalation. That she tried de-escalating in the first place is a bigger plot hole than anything I've seen mentioned in thread (......ACAB......), but it'd be nearly as bad of one if she'd given it another shot after he'd dug himself deeper.

grobbo posted:

- For the sake of dramatic tension, shouldn't we see Hank at least try to win his son over to his side? Not even a token bit of 'Danvers is the real murderer, son - you figured out she killed Wheeler, didn't you?'
- If Hank, accepting his likely fate, thinks it's worth confessing to the other characters that he didn't kill Annie K, does he maybe want to say who did kill her?
That it's suicide by cop is already mentioned upthread, and the last two episodes have confirmed that he's lonely, broke, and rejected by his only remaining family. That he's not a murderer is important to him, and he's lost that. The "blood is blood" line reads to me (and I'd love to hear any other takes on it) as Hank warning Pete not to repeat the fuckups is that Hank made, to be there with/for his family. If that's the case, why would Hank then send his son to war with the mining company he knows intimately can and will have people killed for digging in to it?

Whale Vomit posted:

Did everyone take their stupid pills this episode. None of the characters decisions in the last 20 minutes made any sense.

A mining executive you helped cover up a crime with is blackmailing you into committing murder? In return maybe you'll get a promotion (but they couldn't make that happen once before already)? yeah I'll do that!

Said useful idiot kills a witness and makes it clear he was blackmailed into committing that murder before drawing a gun on a cop? Also another cop is a witness to all of it? cover it up!

What in the world was any of that? I can usually justify bad character decisions as the result of pressure and heat of the moment but none of that made any sense. Bad episode. All together it's been a mixed bag, but that was one of the worst.
There's no blackmail though? Like I just had to go back and watch the scene. There's zero threat, it's just straight bribery. In the meantime, Prior knows (and given the way she left before Dr Who extorted Danvers over the Wheeler case, I suspect Kate does too) that he can get Danvers out of that job whenever he pleases and Kate's offering him assurances that the job will be his. The extent of Hank's character development thus far is that he's stupidly credulous when a woman is offering him something he wants. This is markedly more believable than the scammer's bait.

Danvers, as noted, tries to appeal to Hank. She's under the mistaken impression that he's being blackmailed, not that he's corrupt. She tries to talk his son down from shooting him. Once that happens, Navarro's right that the answer is coverup or prison. Holding aside the corruption and that Dr Who can drop Wheeler on both of them whenever he'd like, it's clear a lot of people think Liz and Pete are loving which is a uniquely bad position to be in when he's inexplicably in your house and kills his father, who also has no reason for being there, and his father has killed a witness who also had no reason to be there and had heroin he had no reason to have when hours prior, Liz'd stopped in to the evidence room (which the show chose to highlight, up to and including punching her code in)

I get that I have a lot of words in this thread interpreting the motivations of characters based on inferences and possible interpretations of scenes. Zero qualms if anyone wants to disagree with those - hell, I'd love it. The background motivations driving characters in to conflict is what I think this season has done best (and was my favorite part of what Season 1 actually was, as opposed to what I had hoped it was), so love discussion of that! This is just goon plot blindness (the cousin of goon face blindness).

I AM GRANDO posted:

I want to accuse this show of being predictable, but I have to admit that I can’t figure out why they’re dangling her in front of us like that. The people at the cannery know her name and recognize her, right? She can’t be like a deep-cover agent or an avatar of the goddess the kid draws or a ghost or some poo poo?
I hadn't caught that, good eye! Her missing digits and her work at the cannery would both allude to the goddess, yes. As do the caves beneath the sea ice and visual similarities between Julia's ashes once they're dumped and the polluted water in town. My guess is that she, not Otto, is this season's version of the old maid Rust and Marty visit, a mythological misdirect on viewers.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Enough about thread poo poo! Finale coming.

As they start tying things up this episode, I'm increasingly coming to terms with:

fullroundaction posted:

Whatever resolution we get next week is going to be dumb as hell and I’m excited to find out what it is.
And that she's literally doing S1, complete with ice caves serving as arcticarcosa and the whole modern mythology being spun up from "look how creepy this natural feature is" (loving Qaavik's buddy, ruiner of my dreams).

I did feel cheated by the time jump here, because there's a whole lot of aftermath we're just not getting. Everything about Hank cracking the laptop, telling Dr Who, Danvers realizing how he did it, felt in service of answering "how do we get Pete to Danvers', how do we get Dr Who leverage, and how do we make Pete mad at the dad we've just shown him living with?" as opposed to telling the story. On the other hand, I thought everything Liz and Leah played out very well and showing Sheri abandoning Leah as she was getting dragged and beaten was a fun way of reversing the Annie<->Leah dynamic we've seen thus far as viewers: Annie's death has been the cautionary tale to cause us (and Danvers) distress at Leah's choices. Here, Leah being abandoned to her fate by her white partner precedes us learning about the details of Annie's death. I suspect there'll be a number of echoes (in part because there's zero point to the opening otherwise).

Threads to tie up, assuming nothing's supernatural
  • What was the cause of the injuries to Navarro and Otto?
  • why did Otto and/or Clark have Julia's jacket?
  • Who shot Wheeler?
  • what the gently caress is up with the oranges?
  • what the gently caress is up with the bear?
  • what did actually create the corpsicles?
  • why is Ennis the Jonestown of caribou?
  • where is Oliver and/or what happened to him? Also why'd he bail all those years prior
  • Why have a bunch of arctic cops failed to connect Annie's wounds with crampons?
  • Rose

Neither Dr Who nor Leah are likely to be at the ice caves, so I'm really not confident the show will manage to give an explanation to most of those. Hopefully we'll at least get the reveal Kayla's been catfishing her father in law.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

TheBizzness posted:

True Detectives

Obstacle posted:

In honor of the AI posters this season.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 11, 2024

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Found the ep weirdly slow and dull until the bizarre ending. Some oddly repetitive dialogue where people would say the same thing five times when one sentence would've done, and been more impactful.

(With the slightly hilarious exception of Otis seeing the heroin and instantly cutting to him in Danvers' car - that was pretty efficient!)

God I hope this ice cave mystery pays off well.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

covidstomper58 posted:

I'm sorry about your media literacy. Good job counting to two though, you got that right.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Poo Detected

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

HermitSupplier posted:

call that poo poo Light Country

if you ask me, the light's winning

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

fullroundaction posted:

Final shot is going to be evil prior’s Russian mail order bride finally arriving and all of the remaining cast standing around laughing with their hands on their hips.

Given that they basically adlibbed the ending of episode 5, maybe that's how they ended up doing the entirety of 6.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

British children’s choir: Draaaaaagulaaa-ahhhh

loving lol

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LaserPrinter69 posted:

Did I miss something, because I interpreted as "hey kid, I hear you need a place to stay. Why don't I set you up in my tool shed. There's a plastic chair. You'll love it. Bring a blanket and a bucket to poo poo in because it's just a shed"
Yeah why Danvers sent Pete to that shed is beyond me. I feel like there was supposed to be evidence to Wheeler's case or something there, because that shed is not a place for someone to crash.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

She offered it to him as the "best" solution remaining to him because after the reveal that his dad had broke into his laptop and used what he found to help bury the investigation she knew he couldn't stay there, his wife wasn't letting him go home and he'd already made it clear that staying in Danvers' actual house would basically end his marriage for good. So she told him he could crash in the shed and they'd avoid each other. It wasn't designed to be a long-term solution, or a particularly appealing one for either of them, I don't think, just a way to deal with this immediate problem.

Now of course, what the guy should be doing is going home and communicating with his wife, getting his head straight and figuring out where his priorities lie and hope she'd take him back. But if he was able to do that he probably wouldn't have ended up in a position where he got kicked out of the house in the first place.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

covidstomper58 posted:

She made him point to the top before giving him the heroin

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This is an ok show with the worst loving music choices. Characters in a sad situation? Make sure the lyrics say "we're broken" so the audience knows how they feel. Guy playing sad guitar to himself? Make sure the lyrics are "There is no god" so we know he's sad and nihilistic.

Once again wishing this was more than six episodes. One thing S1 did great (and S2 to some extent too) was nailing the incremental progress that led to neat scenes. You have them capture *some* of the bad guys mid-season. Here the progress has felt a lot more stilted, big progress being that there are caves and that the big company is indeed evil. Hasn't quite led to big set pieces, but more people yelling at each other in offices.

Still, curious how they wrap it up in just one more ep.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Honestly the whole thing with Prior Jrs wife getting angry and kicking him out seems a little forced. Afaict she's mad at him for going to work and having a disrespectful boss? I mean he should try to stick up for himself more and push back on having no home and family time but she immediately goes to "You son of a bitch how could you not quit your job the moment your boss demands overtime on a big murder case? Get out of the house you're never seeing your child again."

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm sorry about your media literacy. Good job counting to two though, you got that right.

I think a lot of people in this thread have showcased confusion about the season plot points because the episodes are plodding, there's a ton of loose threads everywhere, and characters establish something once in a line lost in a myriad of other lines.

mrmcd posted:

Honestly the whole thing with Prior Jrs wife getting angry and kicking him out seems a little forced. Afaict she's mad at him for going to work and having a disrespectful boss? I mean he should try to stick up for himself more and push back on having no home and family time but she immediately goes to "You son of a bitch how could you not quit your job the moment your boss demands overtime on a big murder case? Get out of the house you're never seeing your child again."

Yeah she's either a complete rear end in a top hat that doesn't understand sympathy or it's just bad writing. A common trope across many characters this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mrmcd posted:

Yeah. Wasn’t really feeling “you’re never home cause of your lovely boss! You’re home tonight? Get the gently caress out!”

Is the implication that he hasn’t been home a single night since the previous episode and if so, why? No work got done.