Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

slidebite posted:

I have no idea what that is.

Try Googling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

slidebite posted:

I have no idea what that is.

Read out bZ4X.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Do you have a Nissan Leaf, and a deep love of sketchy electric devices?

Well, then you're in luck because you can charge at CCS stations now.

https://youtu.be/wydql2N_F-k

It's a CCS2 version in the video, but a CCS1 version is also available.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Do people say chad-emo or chayd-mo? I’ve been using whichever I think sounds sillier at the moment.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
I think I say cha-demo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

priznat posted:

sorry, their horrible EV, bz4x

really should be "busyforks" :haw:

stupidest loving name too

just pure garbage

I've seen a few of them as taxis, or the same one every time because I wasn't paying attention to the plate. If you think it looks bad regularly see it in two tone taxi yellow

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

trilobite terror posted:

what’s fake about the new LC (aside from technically being a Prado)?

Yeah I just meant using the name instead of it being the actual LC 300.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
toyota is second to loving exxon on anti ev lobbying, its why they keep trying to push hydrogen and pipe dreams of solid state batteries, toyota ceo would rather go to the grave in a smog filled coffin next to a coal running toyota tundra than sell good evs.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Toyota has been on-again off-again with EVs for quite some time now. First they say they're about to release some fancy new solid-state battery, then they claim EVs are pointless, then they release some limp-wristed attempt at competing with the Model Y.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do people say chad-emo or chayd-mo? I’ve been using whichever I think sounds sillier at the moment.

The former is probably closer to how how they got to the name.

quote:

“CHAdeMO” is an abbreviation of “CHArge de MOve,” equivalent to “charge for moving,” and is a pun for “O cha demo ikaga desuka.” in Japanese, meaning “Let’s have a cup of tea while charging.”

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Tried Plug & Charge with the id4 today at EA. Took a bit to authenticate but it did start charging after plugging it in.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Toyota is facing a public complaint with the FTC at this very moment for using the terms "electric", "electrified", and "EV" for its hybrid vehicles, clearly they believe there's some marketing advantage to labeling those vehicles in these ways.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Celexi posted:

toyota is second to loving exxon on anti ev lobbying, its why they keep trying to push hydrogen and pipe dreams of solid state batteries, toyota ceo would rather go to the grave in a smog filled coffin next to a coal running toyota tundra than sell good evs.

Toyota lobbies same as big 3 or Tesla or any other car company - for their best interests be it hybrid, EV or whatever at the time. Akio Toyoda (the former CEO), self admitted that the EV change over would be on the next (and current) CEO Koji Sato - former Lexus head. They had to go back to the drawing after the BZ/RZ because they couldn't produce them with sufficient margin - and if you want a "cheap" EV, it has to make sense for Toyota to produce. The next generation of EVs from them will absolutely be better and have their own platforms - which is the right approach. And once they are set up with battery production/supply lines/platforms etc that are favorable - you bet they'll be lobbying for EVs when it's time. I'm sure they would have preferred to be selling very profitable EVs over what they have now, who wouldn't?

As I pointed out earlier, they have a little hydrogen side project because of the Japanese government.

The idea of "coal running tundra" in your comment is hilarious because most EVs in the US runs on coal (produced electricity in part).

Also fun fact, Toyota released a Rav4 EV in 1997. I even remember a goon here having a ~2012 iteration itt, when it came back for a couple years.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

The idea of "coal running tundra" in your comment is hilarious because most EVs in the US runs on coal (produced electricity in part).

What point are you trying to make here?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Russian Bear posted:

Toyota lobbies same as big 3 or Tesla or any other car company - for their best interests be it hybrid, EV or whatever at the time. Akio Toyoda (the former CEO), self admitted that the EV change over would be on the next (and current) CEO Koji Sato - former Lexus head. They had to go back to the drawing after the BZ/RZ because they couldn't produce them with sufficient margin - and if you want a "cheap" EV, it has to make sense for Toyota to produce. The next generation of EVs from them will absolutely be better and have their own platforms - which is the right approach. And once they are set up with battery production/supply lines/platforms etc that are favorable - you bet they'll be lobbying for EVs when it's time. I'm sure they would have preferred to be selling very profitable EVs over what they have now, who wouldn't?

As I pointed out earlier, they have a little hydrogen side project because of the Japanese government.

Also fun fact, Toyota released a Rav4 EV in 1997. I even remember a goon here having a ~2012 iteration itt, when it came back for a couple years.

No, Toyota has for years lobbied against EV's far more than other manufacturers, aside from GM until they got nationalized for sometime and forced to spit out the volt and bolt.

The hydrogen whistle has been going on for years regardless of the Japanese government, and for the "ev's running on coal" that is straight up a gas company astroturf on anti-ev speak, for example where I live in Seattle and most of WA your car is charging on renewables most of the time and that is an issue easily solved, the Rav4 EV was indeed released in 1997 along with the ev1 when California was going to implement its zero emissions mandate and walked back, when CARB walked that back although Toyota was the only to allow you to buy as a PR stunt against GM and made none extra and settled with exxon with a gag order .

Companies can lobby for their interest but toyota has been so far lobbying on behalf of gas companies and as a toxic company, if they wanted to "be ahead or better" then they wouldn't have thrown in the garbage all they learned from the rav4 and completely ignored what made the prius popular.

edit: I mean, they even had a shareholder revolt over their anti-ev stance. and Sided with the Trump Administration to lower fuel standards.

Celexi fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 11, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Coal isn't even a majority power source in the US, it was less than 20% of electricity generation in 2022. Relatively few people could claim to have "coal powered" EVs unless they happened to be running their own coal-powered generator

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

QuarkJets posted:

Coal isn't even a majority power source in the US, it was less than 20% of electricity generation in 2022. Relatively few people could claim to have "coal powered" EVs unless they happened to be running their own coal-powered generator

picturing coal rollers installing:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/1-5Ton-Biomass-Coal-Fired-Steam_1600788764750.html

in their suburban home to not have "clean power" as it doesn't taste as good or something.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Elviscat posted:

What point are you trying to make here?

Haha i don't even know anymore. Toyota bad blah blah, it's ok I hate cars. I guess it's that it's all about $$$ as usual.

Celexi posted:

edit: I mean, they even had a shareholder revolt over their anti-ev stance. and Sided with the Trump Administration to lower fuel standards.

So did GM, Fiat, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Isuzu, Suzuki, Maserati, McLaren, Aston-Martin and Ferrari.

According to your own chart, Toyota is nowhere near Exxon but yes bad to be on the list.

Yes technically the percentage of the electricity you consume that comes from coal could be between 0 and 89% (if you're in WV). I know it's generally less than 17%, but that's why I said part.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Celexi posted:

picturing coal rollers installing:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/1-5Ton-Biomass-Coal-Fired-Steam_1600788764750.html

in their suburban home to not have "clean power" as it doesn't taste as good or something.

I swear all the CHUDS in WA are going to start doing that because PSE politely asked them to turn their thermostats down a click on a record-breakingly cold day.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elviscat posted:

I swear all the CHUDS in WA are going to start doing that because PSE politely asked them to turn their thermostats down a click on a record-breakingly cold day.

I didn't turn down my thermostat on those days
I don't have much room to turn it down. Even doing nothing differet, on their test days, they keep saying I'm like in the top 10% for energy efficiency for houses of similar size, and my insulation sucks

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Hydrogen was always an petro astroturf campaign because hydrogen is a byproduct of fracking and where almost all of our industrial hydrogen comes from. Biden changed the rules saying the only way hydrogen gets federal subsidies is if it is produced by electrolysis from new green energy production so no one gives a poo poo anymore. It was always a scam to call fracking "green".

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Celexi posted:

No, Toyota has for years lobbied against EV's far more than other manufacturers, aside from GM until they got nationalized for sometime and forced to spit out the volt and bolt.

I knew BASF were shitheels, but top three regarding lobbying influence?

Goddrat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kirtar posted:

Read out bZ4X.

Oh jeez

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Three Olives posted:

Hydrogen was always an petro astroturf campaign because hydrogen is a byproduct of fracking and where almost all of our industrial hydrogen comes from. Biden changed the rules saying the only way hydrogen gets federal subsidies is if it is produced by electrolysis from new green energy production so no one gives a poo poo anymore. It was always a scam to call fracking "green".

i mean, it's also a scam to call bevs "green", at least while we're getting 3/4 of our power from fossil fuel

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

like, yes they're a huge step up from blanketing our living spaces with soot and benzene, but by that metric, so are fuel cells

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cactus Ghost posted:

like, yes they're a huge step up from blanketing our living spaces with soot and benzene, but by that metric, so are fuel cells

fuel cells are not even remotely close to the efficiency of a BEV, so even if your source is carbon you will still use less. and as was mentioned prior the amount of fossil fuel for electricity is much smaller than that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i think what's ultimately made batteries more successful is that the distribution infrastructure essentially all already exists, and the technology of batteries scales down better than fuel cells, meaning there's been way more advancement coming, for essentially free, from other industries like consumer electronics

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Celexi posted:

fuel cells are not even remotely close to the efficiency of a BEV, so even if your source is carbon you will still use less. and as was mentioned prior the amount of fossil fuel for electricity is much smaller than that.

what was mentioned prior was coal, which is about ten percent of US power. oil and natural gas are about a third each, with renewables and fission rounding out the rest

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Even older nicd or nimh vheicles were better than a fuel cell vehicle.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cactus Ghost posted:

what was mentioned prior was coal, which is about ten percent of US power. oil and natural gas are about a third each, with renewables and fission rounding out the rest

the US as a whole yes, however there are plenty states with a larger generation of renewables and nuclear than any fossil fuel

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

it is weird to me that california and japan were the two major state funders of fuel cell tech, given that they're among the world's heaviest users of renewable and nuclear, respectively

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cactus Ghost posted:

i mean, it's also a scam to call bevs "green", at least while we're getting 3/4 of our power from fossil fuel

What threshold qualifies? US electricity generation from green sources is around 40%, but in some places it's a lot higher than that - in CA electricity generation is close to 55% green, in OR it's over 50% green, and in WA it's over 80% (!!) green.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

What threshold qualifies? US electricity generation from green sources is around 40%, but in some places it's a lot higher than that - in CA electricity generation is close to 55% green, in OR it's over 50% green, and in WA it's over 80% (!!) green.

i mean, if you want some kind of arbitrary line to say this is green and that isn't, you can put it anywhere you want, because "green" is a nebulous concept and everything commonly used to define it (like sustainability, destruction of the natural environment, or emission of fossil carbon) is a gradient. i just think it's silly to draw that line with fuel cells on one side of it and batteries on the other, especially when the reason given is use of fossil carbon

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cactus Ghost posted:

i mean, if you want some kind of arbitrary line to say this is green and that isn't, you can put it anywhere you want, because "green" is a nebulous concept and everything commonly used to define it (like sustainability, destruction of the natural environment, or emission of fossil carbon) is a gradient. i just think it's silly to draw that line with fuel cells on one side of it and batteries on the other, especially when the reason given is use of fossil carbon

it isn't silly when fuel cells have like a quarter of the efficiency of a battery, even if you start with gasoline and green aside you are getting close to 100% efficiency with a battery while you are getting a fraction of that with fuel cell

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The problem with ICE passenger vehicles is how crazy inefficient their power plants are. It’s better to run them at a constant RPM to generate electricity than to turn the wheels, that’s why hybrids do so well. Just leave all that power generation up to the electric companies, they’ll do it in a cleaner way.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Battery EVs can exploit the same kind of tricks that heat pumps can in order to reduce emissions even from fossil fuel sources.

Using a heat pump to heat your house when your electric utility is natural gas driven will still use less natural gas to heat your house than it would take from burning the natural gas directly in your furnace even after all the grid losses (generation/transmission/etc) are taken into account. Basically say you get 2 units of heat from burning 2 units of natural gas in your furnace directly, now if you use a heat pump instead; you can get 3-4 units of heat from the electric utility burning the same 2 units of natural gas.

Even if your electric utility is 100% fossil fuel generated, your battery electric vehicle will still use significantly less fossil fuels than an ICE vehicle would per distance traveled. In most BEVs, less than half the emissions of a comparable ICE. It works because BEVs are massively more efficient than ICE vehicles, and fossil fuel electric utilities are also significantly more efficient than something you can fit in a ICE vehicle. Like a coal or natural gas plant may be somewhere around 50% thermal efficiency, where an ICE vehicle is doing extraordinarily well if it reaches the upper 30% range.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The grid can also decarbonize over time and by doing nothing a BEV's net fuel emissions will drop.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Even if your electric utility is 100% fossil fuel generated, your battery electric vehicle will still use significantly less fossil fuels than an ICE vehicle would per distance traveled. In most BEVs, less than half the emissions of a comparable ICE. It works because BEVs are massively more efficient than ICE vehicles, and fossil fuel electric utilities are also significantly more efficient than something you can fit in a ICE vehicle. Like a coal or natural gas plant may be somewhere around 50% thermal efficiency, where an ICE vehicle is doing extraordinarily well if it reaches the upper 30% range.

I assume this also didn't take into account all the emissions produced by the oil refineries and oil tankers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Saukkis posted:

I assume this also didn't take into account all the emissions produced by the oil refineries and oil tankers.

Yeah, if you throw in all the same "generation/transmission" losses when it comes to fossil fuels, then ICE gets even worse!

It wouldn't surprise me if the reason it is hard to find out what the total emissions cost of fossil fuels from extracting it out of the ground to powering the wheels is because it puts the final efficiency number into the single digit percentage and every company involved tries their best to hide it.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 11, 2024