Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm excited for some upcoming play dates. My daughter is a lil jerk who takes what she wants. My buddy's baby is a lil jerk who takes what he wants. They are in the same weight class are are within months of each other age wise and like neck and neck developmentally. The two had a lil scrap on their first playdate. The babies were like super hype when they were swiping desired objects from each other.

His mom described his behaviors and like they were very similar to my daughter's. We both recognize that this is the first time in these babies life where their overly combative nature has been matched. We agreed to future play dates... but like oh man that's gonna be a weird rear end conversation, hashing out my lines of play violence to someone else and hearing her boundaries on play violence.

My line is: no batting with toy or object and no eye strikes. As long as both babies are making war cries or satisfied baby sounds, then fight is on. When a baby sad cries we separate the babies, but like nobody sad cried as a result of baby combat yet... This is all very theoretical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

5.5 months is pretty remarkable but yeah it rules when even those first 10 mos were just 1am feedings and back to sleep. easy babies ftw

to be fair the first 5.5 months were hell because she wouldn't sleep more than 15 minutes in her crib, only contact slept, and we weren't cosleeping so it was just hell shifts holding her the entire time.

we later found out that she had a cow's milk protein allergy which explained why she didn't like to sleep horizontal at all. everyone said "oh babies have a hard time sleeping/spit up it's all normal!" and it definitely wasn't but we only figured out the allergy after the sleep training.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Daughter is looking lactose intolerant too. I'm not willing to give up on project milk yet, but like the bad poops and the angry gas night terrors have started since we tapered off formula and started cutting it with lactose whole milk 3 weeks ago... At night she would get all restlessly wiggly and then prop herself up against the headboard and sleep sitting up mostly vertical. Silliest thing to see

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Votskomit posted:

can you hook me up with the ent-draught you're feeding your kid?

Don't feed your kid ent draught. It's cool when they tower over all the other kindergartners but my kid is now in men's size 11 shoes at age 12 and if he doesn't slow down pretty soon then he is going to be stuck with a life of expensive bland looking shoes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Don't feed your kid ent draught. It's cool when they tower over all the other kindergartners but my kid is now in men's size 11 shoes at age 12 and if he doesn't slow down pretty soon then he is going to be stuck with a life of expensive bland looking shoes.
Size 14 sneaker head here, it's true you pay a tax for big feet. It's not true that they have to be bland.
AMA

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Do you need a special tailor for your pants

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

HootTheOwl posted:

Size 14 sneaker head here, it's true you pay a tax for big feet. It's not true that they have to be bland.
AMA

This is good to know! I just assumed based on my wife's experience as a big feed haver. She's always complaining about women's shoes that are cute being impossible to find in her size. Tho it is kinda fun being able to swap shoes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Do you need a special tailor for your pants

I'm only kinda tall. It's all in the feet

Leroy Diplowski posted:

This is good to know! I just assumed based on my wife's experience as a big feed haver. She's always complaining about women's shoes that are cute being impossible to find in her size. Tho it is kinda fun being able to swap shoes.
My wife is a woman's 10 and I can emphasize

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I had a friend who had extremely small feet. She usually bought kid's shoes. Very good options for lights and colours, less so for heels and formal shoes.
Another friend had my size shoes, but as a rural woman, that gave her limited options for woman's shoes, and the one store that had her size had a very specific clientele.
Finally, my male friend has gotten laughed out of various shoe shops because they don't stock his size.

Hitting the middle seems to be desirable in foot size

Edit: I miss having access to heels in my size.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

ikanreed posted:

I'm deeply ashamed to admit I'm considering private school because I'm a huge believer in the importance of a robust public education system and everyone who rejects it has no solidarity with those who depend on it. Which is toxic as hell to society at large.

But gently caress suddenly being reassigned to a school that has an 80% illiteracy rate for 3rd graders. That's terrifying and attending that school won't help.

So rant away, there's at least one other class traitor listening.

don’t be ashamed. it’s not your job to ensure that the public institutions we rely on to creates functioning society are picked apart to make one guy somewhere richer than anyone on earth. you do what’s best for your kid and don’t look back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BonHair posted:

I had a friend who had extremely small feet. She usually bought kid's shoes. Very good options for lights and colours, less so for heels and formal shoes.
Another friend had my size shoes, but as a rural woman, that gave her limited options for woman's shoes, and the one store that had her size had a very specific clientele.
Finally, my male friend has gotten laughed out of various shoe shops because they don't stock his size.

Hitting the middle seems to be desirable in foot size

Edit: I miss having access to heels in my size.
It's the Internet era, if you want em buy em

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Quality of their clothes, color of their skin.

Forgive me for being forward, but I feel that your nation must be destroyed.

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm excited for some upcoming play dates. My daughter is a lil jerk who takes what she wants.

Good luck. My money is on your daughter.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDg0dklwW5g

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Votskomit posted:

Forgive me for being forward, but I feel that your nation must be destroyed.

Yes, we all seem to agree and are hastening this outcome by electing the fascists

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Votskomit posted:

How do you tell a good school from a bad one without having a kid there?

To be clear I was citing the official ratings which lol yes are horrifically flawed.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Rexicon1 posted:

don’t be ashamed. it’s not your job to ensure that the public institutions we rely on to creates functioning society are picked apart to make one guy somewhere richer than anyone on earth. you do what’s best for your kid and don’t look back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
No but you want your kids to use them so they don't think they're useless

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm gonna look back. But I will also do what's best for my kid. I'm gonna live the contradiction.

My wife grew up in a literally communist country and thinks paying for better schools is normal so maybe I'm just being a lib.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ikanreed posted:

I'm gonna look back. But I will also do what's best for my kid. I'm gonna live the contradiction.

My wife grew up in a literally communist country and thinks paying for better schools is normal so maybe I'm just being a lib.

Wait, what is this literally communist country that actually existed?

Also normal is not the same as good. Normal is spending two hours every day commuting. Good is 30 minutes max, on a bike.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
we tried all of one private school when we thought that was going to work better than public schools (when Covid was making remote learning an impossible nightmare) but quickly learned that if your kid has any learning issues they will jettison you as soon as they can.

maybe it's like therapists where you gotta try a few before you find one who isn't just a money sink. one was enough for us, though. public school is so much better for us.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

Daughter is looking lactose intolerant too. I'm not willing to give up on project milk yet, but like the bad poops and the angry gas night terrors have started since we tapered off formula and started cutting it with lactose whole milk 3 weeks ago... At night she would get all restlessly wiggly and then prop herself up against the headboard and sleep sitting up mostly vertical. Silliest thing to see

to be an annoying pedant: lactose is the sugar, this is a protein allergy like allergy to peanut or fish or whatever, so once it got diagnosed we got epi-pen training and all that because its an allergy that can trigger anaphylactic shock

thankfully it's never been that bad, and I think they're discovering that a decent chunk of kids are born with a dairy allergy, but for the vast majority it fades between 2-4. ours is pretty much gone this point as we've worked our way through introducing small amounts of processed cow dairy over time.

although while it's a cow milk protein allergy, other forms of animal dairy were also a no go, go figure

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

we tried all of one private school when we thought that was going to work better than public schools (when Covid was making remote learning an impossible nightmare) but quickly learned that if your kid has any learning issues they will jettison you as soon as they can.

maybe it's like therapists where you gotta try a few before you find one who isn't just a money sink. one was enough for us, though. public school is so much better for us.

I think it really depends on the school. My wife worked as a resource teacher at a private school. She would fight to make sure kids were getting the extra help they need (IEP/IDP). From what I've seen myself and what my wife has told me, it is pretty standard for all schools to try and roll kids off services.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ah, I misunderstood the severity. Cowabummer...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't think the school we tried out even had a resource teacher (I imagine it's a budget sink to have one in their eyes).

what finalized it was when we went to enroll his younger brother and they told us "he's not ready for kindergarten yet" and refused to admit him.

so... we just pulled the other kid out and went back to the public school and it's been orders of magnitude better. the public schools have reading and speech interventionists!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

HootTheOwl posted:

When we were house hunting and there were these enclaved of better houses in generally poorer cities and the schools would be rated poo poo and it's almost always because "other than your neighborhood, the kids using this school are all poor minorities"
It's just classic American segregation

Our kid's 1/10 elementary school serves like 60% of the city's refugee population and the teachers and facilities are absolutely amazing. Like no poo poo the Ukrainian kid with PTSD and the Ecuadorian girl who lives in a Spanish only household are behind in English. My kid is dragging down standardized Spanish scores but no one is going to lose their job over it.

What sucks is that affluent out-of-district parents who came for the dual immersion track are pushing us over the trigger income level and we'll almost assuredly lose Title One funding next year.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

Ah, I misunderstood the severity. Cowabummer...

it's all good, like I said it's pretty much faded, at worst it'll be a sensitivity to dairy.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

we gave our son goat's milk for a year or so and he's fine with cow milk now

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Building a stack of bins today. The toys gotta get off the floor

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Have those same bins, good choice

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bins are great. For turning over. One at a time. Without even picking up anything in the like before turning over the next one.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

brugroffil posted:

Have those same bins, good choice

Hell yeah brother

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Get some spackle

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Bins are the opposite of effective organization, don't be fooled by their superficial convenience. Store things on shelves and if they don't all fit then you need less things.

Our apartment is cluttered with boxes and bins crammed full of random toys and supplies. We can't find anything and no-one knows what's at the bottom of any given bin, terra incognita.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

all your toys that come in sets, jigsaws, blocks etc will become scattered and equally distributed among however many bins you have, according to the law of entropy

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
owning more things > owning fewer things

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't care, it'll be off the floor

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My dad was one of six growing up. At the end of the day, his mom would take a push broom and just shove all the toys into a corner. Tempted sometimes.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

brugroffil posted:

My dad was one of six growing up. At the end of the day, his mom would take a push broom and just shove all the toys into a corner. Tempted sometimes.

drat that's a good idea

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I want a room that does this but with toys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah but I want one of those too, shuffling the tiles and assembling the wall takes so much tiiiiime