Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The only time I've done sightseeing log is while in queue when levelling a DPS class.

Even doing daily hunts is more XP than the tiny amount the logs give.

I really wish that FATEs gave enough XP to be worth doing as a stopgap, somewhere between a dungeon and PotD. That way you could do PotD for no-effort levelling but FATEs for actually... participating in the world as an MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Hunt logs > FATEs up to level 50. It's about the best open world experience up to 50 for classes that have them. Completing the hunt log + class quests + 2-3 leveling dailies for when youve got a gap to unlock the next log = level 50

bird. fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 9, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hunt logs are great, but you won't have them on any class that doesn't start at level one, which means ARR classes only. You'll definitely miss Hunt logs when you're leveling MCH to 51 to continue the MSQ.

Fortunately there's Daily Hunts! Designed to fill in the gap and let you earn exp at all levels from overland mobs, Daily Hunts give you a small randomly selected number of enemies from your level to defeat and you get prizes like gil and Hunt seals and well as exp. To start find the hunt board in your grand company headquarters. There's also weekly hunts but those are best undertaken at level 50 or greater.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jonny 290 posted:

leveling my FSH was like a 3 week ride of laughs and no effort and ocean fishing. it was basically free after i did my daily dow/dom roulettes.

does anybody else switch to their lowbie job when its time to discover new zones as you fly to a quest or w/e? i've probably gotten a half level for free just by hitting the WAR button as i do msqs or whatever. then again i did that out in an EW zone the other day and aggroed four mobs as a 66 warrior and was like oh gently caress i did the thing and i ran, ran, as fast as i can

I always switch to a job in need of experience for sightseeing and other such like sidequests and exploration exp. I've got about a dozen orbs I need to go /lookout at but I haven't yet because everything is already 90.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

leveling my FSH was like a 3 week ride of laughs and no effort and ocean fishing. it was basically free after i did my daily dow/dom roulettes.

does anybody else switch to their lowbie job when its time to discover new zones as you fly to a quest or w/e? i've probably gotten a half level for free just by hitting the WAR button as i do msqs or whatever. then again i did that out in an EW zone the other day and aggroed four mobs as a 66 warrior and was like oh gently caress i did the thing and i ran, ran, as fast as i can

I did this for a long time thinking 'it adds up!' but ultimately you can run a single dungeon and immediately outweigh all the xp you earned exploring. Plus not having flying to explore means exactly what happened to you happens a lot.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Don't feel bad for him. He's a huge dumbass who deserves to get ruthlessly dunked on at every available opportunity. Luckily we have Alisaie to fill that role.

I'm sympathetic to a certain extent because what late High School / Early College "Smartest guy in the room" type hasn't had the singular solution to all the world's problems in their mind?

The dangerous part is where he had the means to work upon that assumption without any hindsight- between the scions being spread thin due to the Doma Refugee Crisis, Alisaie being too busy in the Endgame Content to keep his feet on the ground, and the WoL having their own problems- to disastrous effect.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 10, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alphinaud had a good idea, he just implemented it in the worst way possible. Poisoning the well for future attempts.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm sympathetic to a certain extent because what late High School / Early College "Smartest guy in the room" type hasn't had the singular solution to all the world's problems in their mind?

It doesn't help that Elezen also mature a bit slower than the other races, so the twins at 16 are maybe like 13-14 in terms of general emotional maturity -- they're child prodigies, but they're still fundamentally children, in a situation that puts Alphi in particular in a position to make terrible childish decisions with sweeping consequences (because as mentioned, he has way too many resources and way too little oversight). This game sometimes has JRPG Age Problems, but the twins are absolutely just kids.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

the posts a few pages back saying that you should fish without hunting big fish are insane, the schwing sound when an int falls off but you have the big bitch hooked is the best sound in the game

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I’m levelling Gunbreaker (65 at the moment) and the AOE rotation seems to not have a spender. Did I miss something in the later skills, or is switching back to single target once your cartridges are full the intended play style?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

They do get an AoE cartridge spender, but it’s at some obnoxiously high level.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Brain In A Jar posted:

I’m levelling Gunbreaker (65 at the moment) and the AOE rotation seems to not have a spender. Did I miss something in the later skills, or is switching back to single target once your cartridges are full the intended play style?
Fated Circle at 72.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Thank you, “bad at reading” it is,

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The chocobo companion thing is kind of a neat way to make solo leveling non-DPS classes easier. At least that's what I think the purpose is. You will have a healer who's squishy with middling to low DPS, or a tank who's tough which would struggle to put out significant DPS, and you can have the chocobo pick up a complimentary role in a duo party.

I guess it could also serve as a tank for a DPS class in the tanking stance, though I don't know how well it'd hold aggro or not get melted by enemies and haven't had a chance (or desire) to try since I'm already a tank.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't find them making very good tanks, I don't think they hold aggro well, I keep mine on healing and that's helpful.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I found my chocobo could hold aggro while leveling early Thaumaturge/Black Mage only problem is without anyway to reduce damage it's about as squishy as me.

Still nice to have so I can cast Fire without being interrupted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Reminder to players leveling their chocobros in the goon FCs, you can stable your buddy when you're done doing overworld stuff and feed them for experience. There's food in the FC chest most likely. You can also, while you're there, feed other people's stabled birds and help your compatriots level. Only one person can feed others' birds per food cooldown, so you won't always feed every bird in the stable when you put yours in.

Please feed the birds.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mr. Nice had some good advice a few pages back:

Mr. Nice! posted:

As a BLM the tank stance is probably the most useful with swaps to healing or free if it gets low. When I’m playing a dps I set it to tank stance to get an aggro lead and then swap to free or heal depending on the damage it’s taking.

I've tried this out and definitely noticed both myself and my chocobo have some more staying power when I'm actively switching between tank and healer stance

also keep in mind that feeding your chocobo certain greens in the field will give it temporary buffs

sylkis bud: ATK up
mimett gourd: Healing up
curiel root: EXP gain up

and less useful imo

pahsana fruit: enmity gain up
tanatalplant: max HP up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

God Hole posted:

Mr. Nice had some good advice a few pages back:

I've tried this out and definitely noticed both myself and my chocobo have some more staying power when I'm actively switching between tank and healer stance

also keep in mind that feeding your chocobo certain greens in the field will give it temporary buffs

sylkis bud: ATK up
mimett gourd: Healing up
curiel root: EXP gain up

and less useful imo

pahsana fruit: enmity gain up
tanatalplant: max HP up

On the topic of these buffs, if you feed one of the foods that gives a buff to your bird in the stable 10 times in a row (I think its been a while), it will become their preferred food and they get an increased buff from that food. Other people feeding your bird will not interrupt setting up your preferred food.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You can vendor most chocobo foods from the bug tribe in heavensward, you'll have to rank up to get the full selection but it's worth it to be able to just pop down gil and buy a stack without paying market board prices.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's no way to do your chocobo companion "wrong", but general consensus is the most useful one is Choco Cure from the healer tree. It fills a gap as a support healer more easily than dps or tank, especially for some jobs that don't have self-healing (some casters don't get anything, tanks depending on the job and level, ranged dps sometimes Second Wind isn't enough).

But again to reiterate, there's no need to go overboard in planning the perfect leveling skill order and look askance at anyone who says so (I've met them, they exist). Unless you want to, then knock yourself out.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My bird is maxed out but I find healer or tank to only be useful during leveling when I'm not in great gear. When I'm over-geared for whatever I'm fighting in the world, I usually just leave it in free stance.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FuturePastNow posted:

My bird is maxed out but I find healer or tank to only be useful during leveling when I'm not in great gear. When I'm over-geared for whatever I'm fighting in the world, I usually just leave it in free stance.
This is also my experience with using my Chocobo while grinding ShB/EW FATEs for gems. Unless you’re doing some kind of weird challenge run, you’ll probably lose more time from overplanning than you gain from being 2% more efficient.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Reminder to players leveling their chocobros in the goon FCs, you can stable your buddy when you're done doing overworld stuff and feed them for experience. There's food in the FC chest most likely. You can also, while you're there, feed other people's stabled birds and help your compatriots level. Only one person can feed others' birds per food cooldown, so you won't always feed every bird in the stable when you put yours in.

Please feed the birds.

And feeding other players' stabled chocobos 20 times gives an achievement that awards a chocobo barding.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've never found the aggro generating abilities of the chocobo substantial enough to be relevant, and that's coming from a healer.

The healing and dps skills and stances can be quite helpful though.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It's nice to have the extra healing but honestly Choco Regen has terrible potency, it's easily outdone by auto attacks in my experience. You can splash a little bit of healing but I would just focus on DPS personally. I also just keep my bird on Free stance more often then not, cause then it'll focus on DPS while casting Regen as needed.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

There's no way to do your chocobo companion "wrong", but general consensus is the most useful one is Choco Cure from the healer tree. It fills a gap as a support healer more easily than dps or tank, especially for some jobs that don't have self-healing (some casters don't get anything, tanks depending on the job and level, ranged dps sometimes Second Wind isn't enough).

But again to reiterate, there's no need to go overboard in planning the perfect leveling skill order and look askance at anyone who says so (I've met them, they exist). Unless you want to, then knock yourself out.

Generally, the only way to do a chocobo "wrong" is to load up on self buffs, because it'll just spend all of its time applying them and not doing things.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

In my experience, they can't hold enmity no matter what, and they don't do a lot of damage, but a steady trickle of healing can make solo FATEs a lot easier. I'd recommend maxing out healing first, and make a note of the different stances, you can set them to "only heal" which will make them focus on topping you off and keeping choco regen rolling.

But the two most important things you MUST do with your chocobo:

1) Give them a funny name. You can change the name whenever at the city chocobokeeps.

2) Dress them up in cute outfits. There's a way to dye their feathers but it's kind of a pain, and I wouldn't worry about it until you've got enough cash to throw at the MB.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, as I recently found out, changing feather colors is a loving chore even if you have all of the items you need to get the color you want. It was the better part of 10 minutes just feeding my chocobo one thing at a time in an extremely specific order to get the RGB values exactly where they needed to be

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I need that barding from the latest trial someday. It would be the ideal chocobo outfit

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

There's a way to dye their feathers but it's kind of a pain, and I wouldn't worry about it until you've got enough cash to throw at the MB.

If you've got a stable you can use, a lot of simple color changes are easy. Going from the base color to a generic royal blue for instance was 6 hours in the stable and like 10k gil max. How expensive likely depends on what color and how finnicky you are about getting it perfect, but some generic changes are mostly just googling the formula, doing smol math, and checking MB prices for the fruits and veggies.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
you can use this to calculate the colors:
https://ffxiv.pf-n.co/chocobo-color

and then use world visit (or possibly data center travel if the differences are large enough) to get your desired fruit cheaper:
https://universalis.app/

also goon FCs might have some of the fruits in the FC chest

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I followed those guides to the letter and it still took me 4 tries to get my Chocobo black :smith:. I was lucky my friend bought me the required stuff :unsmith:.

So yeah, good luck!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is there some way to update all my classes' gear setup in one go before I dump unneeded dungeon gear into an expert delivery mission? It's kind of a pain to go through 20 different classes to make sure they are all as good as can be before I start dropping that stuff off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Will generally pick the best thing for each slot for you, but take care to double check that it's not being stupid. i've had it put level 15 rings on or w/e

but no, not one single "all jobs at once" button.

e: make sure to create a gearset for each job and update with the double circular arrow thing top right before you go tossin' poo poo

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Yeah, I'd been using that. I'd just hoped that maybe I'd missed one "do this to all your classes at once" button.

Alas.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Also, is there a way to get the gear to auto switch when I choose a job? Because I feel like I'm doing it wrong every time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

3 Action Economist posted:

Also, is there a way to get the gear to auto switch when I choose a job? Because I feel like I'm doing it wrong every time.
You can drag the gearset straight from the list onto your hotbar and it'll become a button you can just click to switch to it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

3 Action Economist posted:

So on that same row, the button on the right will let you register the equipment you are currently wearing as a gear set and the one in the middle will pull up a list of all of your registered gear sets for you to switch around freely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Make switching through the gearset list (or the buttons you can pull out of it) a habit so you're not entering a level 60 (e.g.) dungeon/raid without a job stone :v: