Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

painedforever posted:

Y'know, every time you come up against a ground-pounder, you wish you could do the thing they talked about in one of the source books, how the very first 'Mech pilot guy just ground his foot into one of the tanks and destroyed it.

I forget, do Mechs get any kind of bonus to physical attacks against vehicles, or was that an anti-frustration measure the HBS game added? In that game a medium can one-shot a Vedette or Galleon by stepping on it.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Afaict all the video games have to neuter the tanks somehow because getting owned by a swarm of srm boats is no fun

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slavvy posted:

Afaict all the video games have to neuter the tanks somehow because getting owned by a swarm of srm boats is no fun

Mad Dog III C. Runs 86 kph, 9 tons of FF armor, carries 48 streak SRMs as its primary armament.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

note on attacking the hetzer (or not):

quote:

Weapons fire for Victor VTR-9B (Player):
-Fires AC/20 at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits! Narrow Profile imposes -4 malus: number of missile hits reduced to 1! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Rear, 20/22 Armour remaining. Motive System Hit!
--Chance for Motive System Damage! Major Damage, Vehicle Immobilised!

Isn't it stuck facing away from the rest of our objective without a turret?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It is, and there is even a building facing it, but a frontal firing arc is still significant in battletech and if the plan is to back off and let the OPFOR move in in detail, it might be a net positive to remove it from the board entirely. Also, it might be a waste of time and heat and ammo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bloody Pom posted:

I forget, do Mechs get any kind of bonus to physical attacks against vehicles, or was that an anti-frustration measure the HBS game added? In that game a medium can one-shot a Vedette or Galleon by stepping on it.

Always assume the video games were teaching you wrong, as a joke. It's a good rule of thumb.

Slavvy posted:

PGI would have to learn how to make interesting missions instead of just throwing huge waves of trash enemies and nobody there has that level of talent.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Defiance Industries posted:

Always assume the video games were teaching you wrong, as a joke. It's a good rule of thumb.

PGI would have to learn how to make interesting missions instead of just throwing huge waves of trash enemies and nobody there has that level of talent.

Got owned by 8 lights AGAIN. Love when they rip all the evasion pips off because they get to shoot 8 times at one mech in one phase

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Got owned by 8 lights AGAIN. Love when they rip all the evasion pips off because they get to shoot 8 times at one mech in one phase

BTA3062, among a huge amount of other changes, removes the "shot removes a pip" mechanic entirely. I still have 35-ton mechs in rotation in my current late game playthrough because as long as the opfor doesn't get lucky with an AC20, they can do a surprising amount of damage while keeping at 6-7 evasion.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

CPT Foo - It's really down to where you want to go for this turn (and next). Let us know where you're going and who you're shooting at and I'll move accordingly.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'll stay put and finish off the Hetzer with a kick, and then shoot LRMs at the Vedette to cool off.

e: submitted

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 10, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

o poo poo sorry been super busy at work, i'll get something in momentarily

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

submitted: reversing to 1011 and blasting the hetzer

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Submitted to 0912, 1LL and 1 ML at the Hetz.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

IOwnCalculus posted:

BTA3062, among a huge amount of other changes, removes the "shot removes a pip" mechanic entirely. I still have 35-ton mechs in rotation in my current late game playthrough because as long as the opfor doesn't get lucky with an AC20, they can do a surprising amount of damage while keeping at 6-7 evasion.

I found bta and the other big mods made the game way too finnicky. I'm running ptn's pack from the hbs LP and that feels good enough.

Might be a discussion for the other thread though

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Moving to 0511 and splitting fire between the hetz and vedette

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
RIP Hetzer. The comically long list of redundant motive system crits you suffered this turn will serve as your memorial.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Maybe one of its pieces is going to leave that hex

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

But can we still kick it?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

But can we still kick it?

I don't think so.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can kick the very small pieces evenly distributed around the edges of the map

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Its pieces likely kicked us back as it splashed all over the city. Can't wait for the next update.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cityscape_[9994]: Turn 10

Ammunition explosions are loving terrifying, Etienne thought as he watched the Hetzer blow itself apart. The resultant flash was so bright it briefly bleached the entire street, and the shockwaves so violent they shattered windows in neighbouring blocks. As the remains of the assault gun rained down Etienne felt a new respect for the tankers who made up the bulk of Panzyr II’s defence corps. Crewing one of those deathtraps was like willingly piloting a self-propelled bomb. If his Griffin went up in smoke he could at least count on his auto-eject to save him. If a vehicle’s bins were breached, that was it. Game over.

A flicker of movement broke Etienne out of his reverie. The mercenary Victor, having helped finish off the stricken Hetzer, had moved into the open in order to engage the Vedette at the opposite end of the street. Etienne took aim immediately, marvelling at how easy it was to line up his crosshairs. He had spent a great deal of time tuning the Griffin’s targeting systems, increasing the sensitivity and decreasing the latency until he could effortlessly track even targets that lingered at the very edges of his effective range. The downside was that those same systems struggled mightily to track targets at closer ranges, but that was a price Etienne was willing to pay. The Griffin was a sniper, and already had a hard time hitting enemies that came too close. Better to maximise its strengths and rely on his lancemates and Battle Fists to take care of anything that slipped through.

As soon as he acquired a lock Etienne loosed a volley of LRMs. A surge of frustration rippled through him as he watched most of the missiles veer off-course halfway through their flight path. It irked him that he could line up a shot perfectly yet still lose more than half of a volley to the LRM’s faulty guidance systems. The few missiles that did hit their target barely scratched the Victor’s paintwork.

With great effort, Etienne swallowed his disappointment and opened a comm channel to the rest of the Fusiliers. The Hetzer had been a valuable asset, but in destroying it the mercs had chosen to linger in an area that was ripe for encirclement. He had already sprung that trap once, but if the mercs were going to let him do it again then who was he to complain?

Weapons fire for Wyvern WVE-6N (Player):
-Fires LRM-10 at Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 8: 8 Missiles Hit! Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Front (15/20 Armour remaining (Motive System Hit!)) and 3 damage to Front (12/20 Armour remaining).
--Chance for Motive System Damage! No motive damage sustained.

Weapons fire for Victor VTR-9B (Player):
-Fires AC/20 at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 10: Hits Rear! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 20 damage to Rear, 0/22 Armour remaining. Motive System Hit!
--Chance for Motive System Damage! Moderate Damage, +2 to driving rolls and -1MP!
-Fires SRM-4 at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 2: Hits! Narrow Profile imposes -4 malus: number of missile hits reduced to 1! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Side, 1/22 Armour remaining. Through Armour Critical!
--Critical Chance in Vehicle Interior! One Critical Hit sustained! Engine Destroyed! Vehicle Immobilised!
-Fires Medium Laser at Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Front! Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Front, 7/20 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 2: Hits Rear! Narrow Profile reduces damage to 4! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 4 damage to Rear, 0/4 Structure remaining. Section Destroyed! Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Vehicle Interior! One Critical Hit sustained! Ammunition Hit! AC/20 Ammunition explodes, dealing 400 damage!
---Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 400 damage to Rear! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) is vaporised by ammunition explosion!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 9: Hits Right Side! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Right Side, 17/22 Armour remaining. Motive System Hit!
--Chance for Motive System Damage! Heavy Damage, +3 to driving skill rolls, MP Halved!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 7: Hits Rear! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Rear, but it has already been destroyed.
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 9: Hits Left Side! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Left Side, 0/22 Armour, 0/4 Structure remaining. Section Destroyed! Motive System Hit!
--Chance for Motive System Damage! Major Damage, Vehicle Immobilised!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 7: Hits Rear! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Rear, but it has already been destroyed.
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 8: Hits Rear! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Rear, but it has already been destroyed.
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 4: Hits Rear! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Rear, but it has already been destroyed. Motive System Hit!
--Chance for Motive System Damage! Moderate Damage, +2 to driving rolls and -1MP!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 6: Hits Left Side! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Left Side, but it has already been destroyed. Motive System Hit!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers); needs 1, rolls 10: Hits Rear! Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Rear, but it has already been destroyed. Motive System Hit!

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires LRM-10 at Victor VTR-9B (Player); needs 4, rolls 7: 3 Missiles Hit! Victor VTR-9B (Player) takes 3 damage to Centre Torso (20/30 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Goblin (SRM) (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/5 at Victor VTR-9B (Player); needs 5, rolls 7: Hits Left Leg! Victor VTR-9B (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Leg, 15/20 Armour remaining.

No melee attacks this turn!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) gains 22 heat, sinks 22 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Victor VTR-9B (Player) gains 14 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wyvern WVE-6N (Player) gains 4 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 2 heat, sinks 6 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) gains 2 heat, sinks 5 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6D (Fusiliers) gains 5 heat, sinks 5 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Dodge: Enables the pilot to make a dodge manoeuvre instead of a physical attack, inflicting a +2 accuracy penalty against enemy physical attacks during the melee phase.
-Evasive Action: By forfeiting the right to fire during the shooting phase, the pilot gains the ability to move evasively, inflicting an additional +1 penalty against incoming weapons fire and physical attacks. The unit must use its Running MP, have undamaged hips, and will gain an extra +2 heat at the end of the round.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Rangemaster: Range modifiers for long and short range are switched.
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso one hex further than usual.
-Narrow Profile: The mech takes less damage from incoming weapons fire if the margin of success is +1 or lower. Direct fire weapons deal half damage, while cluster attacks receive a -4 penalty when determining the number of hits.
-Poor Workmanship: The unit takes a +1 penalty on critical rolls.

--

Primary Objectives:
-Eliminate enemy commander (Etienne Decimis) (0/1)
-Destroy at least four Fusilier battlemechs (2/4)

Secondary Objectives:
-Destroy the statue of Marquis Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619) (50,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy City Militia Base (100,000 C-Bill reward) Complete!
-Destroy Militia Fuel Depot (150,000 C-Bill reward)

--

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 13th 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 11, 2024

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That's not a very good encirclement Etienne

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hbk: first thing that occurs to me is to stand on the goblin and blast the sentinel

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Captain Foo posted:

Hbk: first thing that occurs to me is to stand on the goblin and blast the sentinel

That would let you shoot on 7s, but take return fire at 6s from the STN and WVR, I think. Plus some plinking from the Vedette's AC/5.

You'll be exposing yourself to a lot of return fire that way, but the chances of severely mauling the STN are pretty good.

If the rest of the lance takes the same basic approach, taking out at least two mechs (the Commando also has a low move mod if the Victor or BJ want to smite it) this turn is plausible, but risky.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gnoman posted:

That would let you shoot on 7s, but take return fire at 6s from the STN and WVR, I think. Plus some plinking from the Vedette's AC/5.

You'll be exposing yourself to a lot of return fire that way, but the chances of severely mauling the STN are pretty good.

If the rest of the lance takes the same basic approach, taking out at least two mechs (the Commando also has a low move mod if the Victor or BJ want to smite it) this turn is plausible, but risky.

Right, but i can’t get out of the way of anything meaningfully, so i should optimize my damage output

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm thinking we should all just focus everything on the STN. The WVE has a good move mod, and while the COM also has a just a +2, it has Narrow Profile, and it's also pristine.

I'm thinking of reversing to 0712 and unloading everything on the STN .

VCT could reverse or jump to 0612 to be at optimal range to the STN or WVE

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

With great effort, Etienne swallowed his disappointment and opened a comm channel to the rest of the Fusiliers. The Hetzer had been a valuable asset, but in destroying it the mercs had chosen to linger in an area that was ripe for encirclement. He had already sprung that trap once, but if the mercs were going to let him do it again then who was he to complain?

This might have been an encirclement, except that it's more "we're not trapped here with you, you're trapped here with us" situation. Etienne is still trying to play the part of bait long after that's no longer relevant, and the rest of his lance is going to get chewed up as a result.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Captain Foo posted:

Right, but i can’t get out of the way of anything meaningfully, so i should optimize my damage output

It's what I'd do, but I figured you were asking for feedback.

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm thinking we should all just focus everything on the STN. The WVE has a good move mod, and while the COM also has a just a +2, it has Narrow Profile, and it's also pristine.

A hit with the AC/20, even if Narrow Profile kicks in, will punch through the armor anywhere on the COM. If Narrow Profile didn't come into play, one hit from the AC/20 has an excellent chance of crippling or outright killing it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gnoman posted:

It's what I'd do, but I figured you were asking for feedback.

cool, just making sure we were evaluating the situation the same way

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

I wonder could you back into the building? Ablative armor with a chance of avoiding anything crippling, I am remembering a HBK in one of PTN's scenarios that made a real pain of itself by being in a building. Just a thought.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I'm thinking of 0712 and getting in short range of the COM.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

everydayfalls posted:

I wonder could you back into the building? Ablative armor with a chance of avoiding anything crippling, I am remembering a HBK in one of PTN's scenarios that made a real pain of itself by being in a building. Just a thought.

I think i can get into 1111? Everything still has LoS me in that case so the ablative armor would have to be highly effective? What’s the mechanics on that?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Captain Foo posted:

I think i can get into 1111? Everything still has LoS me in that case so the ablative armor would have to be highly effective? What’s the mechanics on that?

You can get into 1111, although you'll have to roll a 6 to avoid taking 4 damage on the way in.

Hiding inside a building imposes a +1 penalty against anyone trying to hit you. Since it's a medium building it will also reduce all incoming attack damage by 4 (So an AC/10 hit would only do 6 damage, while an SRM will do zero). That damage will be absorbed by the building's CF, so there's a danger that the building will collapse on top of you. If that happens, it will deal 11 damage in 5-point clusters.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I'm digging everyone's suggestions. VTR to to 0712 vs COM, HBK backup on top of the Goblin and smash while shooting the Sentinel. WVE let the VTR have 0712 and you can still reach 0612, 0513 is reachable but I think the GRF might have a shot.

Where should I go/shoot? I could just stand and alpha one of the two, whoever doesn't already have two on them. I could also reach 0710 with 1 skid check, but I could kick the GRF. I could also jump around, but my hit odds become 10s.

As long as we make sure the VTR and HBK are targeting different targets we should be able to come out on top this round.

I don't recall the rules for the HBK in 1111 and using the building as cover, but I can look that up later if someone else doesn't post it. Beaten by a minute!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Volmarias posted:

This might have been an encirclement, except that it's more "we're not trapped here with you, you're trapped here with us" situation. Etienne is still trying to play the part of bait long after that's no longer relevant, and the rest of his lance is going to get chewed up as a result.

He does seem to be learning things about tactics and leadership though, and maybe even maturing as a person. Which means that the long-term objective of this contract is being fulfilled. Kinda gives you warm fuzzies, a bit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

after getting the info, i think it would be better to stomp than bunker down

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

submitted: reversing, alpha striking, and stomping

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
The way I see it, our goal is to take out 3 enemy mechs and the Griffin. This is an excellent chance for us to destroy the Sentinel and maul whoever we choose. Either way assuming we can score a kill here, after this all we have left to kill is the Griffin, who is probably going to be harder to pin down than we expect.

We should still try to kill whoever we can obviously, "Guns off the Board" and all that. But our primary objective is basically about to unlock.

As for actual moves, I've got nothing. I kind of assume the Hunchback has enough firepower to kill the Sentinel, Wolverine has high evasion, Commando is fragile but has that annoying profile quirk. I kinda wanted to suggest having the Victor run up and shoot the Vedette in the side, but it would take an AC 20 and some damage to destroy it. Not sure if we can count on that and it would send the Victor backwards. On the other hand, getting harassed by back shots sounds like hell. The enemy is probably going to focus on the Hunchback, but I think that the way the enemy is set up the Commando can't hit it once it steps onto the Bulldog. So I suggest the others clear out so they don't eat a fuckton of missiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He does seem to be learning things about tactics and leadership though, and maybe even maturing as a person. Which means that the long-term objective of this contract is being fulfilled. Kinda gives you warm fuzzies, a bit.

absolutely this, it was great to utterly humiliate him when he was a shithead but now that he's growing up i want him to succeed (but i want goonlance to get cbills more than that)