Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The genocide in Gaza is not hurting innocent people?

It is. Are you trying to make a point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What’s stopping you from posting about the U.S. current event that currently interests you most?

The fact that I don't currently pay to get past paywalls from the major US sources and therefore can't effectively source quotes.

Frankly, that's completely irrelevant. It's fine for the thread to have fewer posts on slow news days, we don't need to have a perpetual-motion machine of stressful off-topic content just because I'm not doing my part to post insightful current events, and implying that I have any power to redirect the most evergreen derail in the thread is frankly absurd

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Kalit posted:

There is essentially no chance Trump could convince his own party to cut Israel aid to nothing.

And even if he somehow did, they currently spend about 4.5% of their GDP on military spending. I think they would do just fine with affording weapons without the US’s aid for a few years. If they hadn’t already annihilated Gaza by that point

There is quite a lot that the U.S. could do, since Israel is currently highly dependent on American ammunition and aircraft:

Israel Today posted:

Israel begins shift to domestic ammunition production

“The lesson from the war in Ukraine and against Hamas is identical: Israel must significantly increase its arsenal,” said a former Israeli defense official.

In the wake of the ongoing war against Hamas and its exposure of Israel’s near total dependence on the United States to replenish its stocks of ammunition, Israel has begun shifting toward greater domestic ammunition production.

The Israeli Defense Ministry has begun reaching out to local defense companies to boost production lines and place orders that will ensure they churn out ammunition for years to come, as a top priority.

The ministry saw domestic production as a priority even before the war, but the issue has now risen to the top of the national agenda.

“The lesson from the war in Ukraine and against Hamas is identical: Israel must significantly increase the arsenal with which it enters the campaign,” a former defense official told JNS.

This includes a variety of arms, ranging from Iron Dome interceptors to sophisticated guided air-to-ground munitions and artillery shells. Tank shells could also be a candidate for domestic production.

Yet not everything can be moved to Israel. Military aircraft will continue to be made in the United States.

The cost of producing aircraft for a single military without exporting them to additional clients would make their production a financial non-starter for Israeli defense industries. Nor would the US agree for Israel to begin competing with it in the global fighter aircraft market, as the 1980s Lavi jet project, which shut down for these reasons, demonstrated.

On Jan. 25, ministry director general Maj. Gen. (res.) Eyal Zamir concluded a working visit to Washington, DC, where he met with senior US Department of Defense and State Department leadership, as well as with Lockheed Martin and Boeing executives.

Those two companies produce the Israeli Air Force’s growing fleet—F-35s, CH53 transport helicopters, Apache helicopters and F-15s. Israel is reportedly attempting to fast-track some of those deliveries, particularly the Apaches.

“The visit underscored the close cooperation between Israel and the United States since the beginning of the ongoing Swords of Iron war,” the ministry said in a statement at the time. “Maj. Gen. (res.) Zamir engaged in discussions with his American counterparts about armament procurement, aligning with preparations for evolving combat scenarios. The discussions also focused on plans for force build-up in the upcoming multi-year strategy, including the acquisition of advanced platforms and capabilities to maintain the IDF’s qualitative military edge and readiness for diverse scenarios. This approach integrates lessons learned from the war into strategies for obtaining military equipment,” it stated.

Nevertheless, it has become painfully clear that Israel’s dependence on American ammunition supplies, which saw more than 200 cargo planes touch down Israel following Hamas’s Oct. 7 invasion, has become a danger to national security and independence.

This dependence means that any Israeli Cabinet must consider the principle of “legitimacy” in its warfare planning—a principle that could become paralyzing if leverage over Israel becomes too great.

Should that principle trickle down into operational decision-making, the result can only harm Israel’s war efforts.

IDF combat officers should be thinkingly purely about how to accomplish missions, while of course adhering to the IDF’s own internal ethical code and upholding its own internal commitment to adhering to the laws of armed conflict. But if concerns over “legitimacy” in the eyes of a foreign government, no matter how close an ally, creep in, due to ammunition reliance, that is a serious problem.

Furthermore, Israel’s current lack of independent mass ammunition production has meant that the IDF needs to weigh its uses of resources carefully in Gaza, when looking at multi-arena threats in the north and at Iran, both of which could become involved in full-scale wars at any time.

Such precaution means that the IDF has been running an “armament economy” regarding certain munitions.

Both the air force and the ground forces must take the prospects of additional fronts catching fire into account.

All of this means that mass domestic ammunition production is a must-have for Israel going forward, and there are encouraging signs that this is in fact what is developing.

This will also create very real economic burdens in the future; American ammunition was bought with US aid money.

For Israel to create and fund new production lines among its defense industries, it will also need to ensure that society can manage this burden by having as many economically productive citizens in the work force as possible.

https://www.israeltoday.co.il/read/israel-begins-shift-to-domestic-ammunition-production/

Biden circumvented Congress twice in one month to rush ammunition to Israel. Israel's genocide of Gazans relies heavily on the material support that Biden is hellbent on continuing to provide to the genocidal regime.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
It's our two party system that ensures the two parties will circle around the needs of capital and the market like turds circling the bowl.

It's our voters, programmed by media and culture, that are politically incoherent and vote against their own interests and the objective lesser evil.

Do we get to pretend we're going to solve this electorally?

The absolute uproar over somebody's binding moral imperative to vote for Dems cuz the Republicans will always be worse is absolutely frustrating, especially if you think this has already effectively failed. What is our plan if Trump DOES win? Start prepping for the next election?

It's like we work at the evil factory, diligently making and exporting evil. But if we're not careful our kindly, business minded evil boss is going to be replaced by a boss that is a cartoonishly evil buffoon. And we can't afford to lose our jobs and our 401ks are tied into the company being effective. We have a 50 year plan to diversify into markets that aren't wholly evil.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

B B posted:

There is quite a lot that the U.S. could do, since Israel is currently highly dependent on American ammunition and aircraft:

Biden circumvented Congress twice in one month to rush ammunition to Israel. Israel's genocide of Gazans relies heavily on the material support that Biden is hellbent on continuing to provide to the genocidal regime.

The hypothetical was that Trump would give less aid to Israel, not that he would stop selling weapons to Israel.

He absolutely wouldn’t stop selling weapons to Israel, as we all saw how eager he was to brag about selling them when he was in office. For example: https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/trump-signs-110-billion-arms-deal-saudi-arabia/story?id=47531180

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 11, 2024

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Kalit posted:

The hypothetical was that Trump would give less aid to Israel, not that he would stop selling weapons to Israel.

He absolutely wouldn’t stop selling weapons to Israel, as we all saw how eager he was to brag about selling them when he was in office.

Biden should stop selling weapons to Israel while they're carrying out a genocide. Until he stops, he supports and is actively participating in a genocide.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

KingaSlipek posted:

Easily the most naive thing ever written on these forums. There is a reason Johnson put "aid" to Israel to a vote but not Ukraine.

Johnson is not Trump.

The Mattybee posted:

You think the person who has outright said he would bar refugees from Gaza is less supportive of Israel?

Again: yes or no?

This is about foreign aid.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

GlyphGryph posted:

It is. Are you trying to make a point?

Yes. My point is, that you are making the same trade-off. In your post, you said:

GlyphGryph posted:

This is always what its about in the end, isnt it? Its not about trying to do good, or make things better - its about what is being "compromised" - your pride, your ego, your self image - and who and how badly you are willing to hurt innocent people on order to keep those intact. Unless there is something else the word could mean, here? I dont think there is, and think you just slipped up.

You are also making a determination of what innocent people you are willing to hurt in order to keep your values intact. It's just that the people you are willing to hurt with your vote are the people of Gaza. This is pure projection.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

The Mattybee posted:

Do you think that the election of Donald Trump would result in less harm done to Palestine and/or Ukraine?

Yes or no?

I have no idea and neither do you. That's in the future and no one can know for sure. I know for sure that Biden has been worse than I thought he would be, and has more blood on his hands than I thought possible in 2020. Both Biden and Trump have done and will do unacceptable levels of harm.

The *better* question is: can I morally and spiritually stomach voting for Biden or Trump at this moment, based on what they have already done or are actively doing? The answer is NO, so I will not vote for either one. Saying 'But Trump' has not worked on me, will never work on me, and is clearly not working for tens of millions of other people because Trump has a clear and consistent lead in national polling. No matter how much poll handwaving certain posters do in here, Trump is clearly favored to win in November at this point.

Your question is irrelevant and also inappropriate to this thread: this is a Current Events thread, and the Current Events right now are primarily Joe Biden doing morally awful things, refusing to use the powers of his office and the levers of American power to stop a genocide, and demonstrating significant mental declines. If the Democratic Party doesn't want those issues front and center, they have full control between now and November.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

FistEnergy posted:

I have no idea and neither do you. That's in the future and no one can know for sure. I know for sure that Biden has been worse than I thought he would be, and has more blood on his hands than I thought possible in 2020. Both Biden and Trump have done and will do unacceptable levels of harm.

The *better* question is: can I morally and spiritually stomach voting for Biden or Trump at this moment, based on what they have already done or are actively doing? The answer is NO, so I will not vote for either one. Saying 'But Trump' has not worked on me, will never work on me, and is clearly not working for tens of millions of other people because Trump has a clear and consistent lead in national polling. No matter how much poll handwaving certain posters do in here, Trump is clearly favored to win in November at this point.

Your question is irrelevant and also inappropriate to this thread: this is a Current Events thread, and the Current Events right now are primarily Joe Biden doing morally awful things, refusing to use the powers of his office and the levers of American power to stop a genocide, and demonstrating significant mental declines. If the Democratic Party doesn't want those issues front and center, they have full control between now and November.

Have you ever voted, because I have some bad news about Every US President Ever

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kalit posted:

Two questions for those posting ITT who refuses to vote for “Genocide Joe”:

• If Hamas wouldn’t have attacked Israel on Oct 7th and things would have continued as it was, would you have voted for Biden this year?
  • If Biden leads the charge and actually got Israel to agree to a ceasefire before the election, would you vote for him?

I’m curious if that’s actually the sole reason why someone here wouldn’t vote for him

Personally, I wouldn't. I have been raising flags about his flagrant disregard for the lives of Muslims ever since 2016, when he put a pro-Hindutva, pro-Modi guy in charge of Muslim outreach. As a reminder, Modi played a large role in the Guajrat massacres. So him disregarding the humanity of Palestinians is no surprise to me, and just goes to show that his evil towards us is not "lesser" and was never going to be "lesser."

However, I know personally know several scholars in Dearborn who would have voted for him if he had put any meaning red lines on Israel. Not even achieving a cease fire, but doing anything to actually slow Israel down materially. It's far too late for that, though, and a lot of them consider the death toll so large that trying to change would be meaningless - but at this point, people also don't buy he's willing to change, especially after the meeting a few days ago ended up just being "We see you, we hear you, but we aren't going to do anything."

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

FistEnergy posted:

Why are you pretending like the genocide only started recently?

Also, considering you have a Joe tag under your avatar from 2020, it seems like you already refused to vote for him previously. No need to pretend like his current actions has any impact on you not voting for him this year

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 11, 2024

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

BRJurgis posted:

Yeah.. especially after some good posts about the human and ethical calculations of voting in a broken system that can only deliver things on a scale of "objectively bad" to "historical yet wholly insufficient", this post ain't it.

It's darkly funny that we have to love Democracy... we have to vote for Biden to preserve Democracy! Our dearest institution, our most speciallest precious ideal! Yet not voting for Democrats is a betrayal of your civic duty and tantamount to supporting Trump. There is only one democracy, voting straight ticket Dem every most important election.

Well... if that's how our Democracy works I'm... not sure it's worth the cost of all the genocide.

This is the same old debate, but posts like this are exactly why people keep pushing back against your duty to vote for Biden (yes even people who may hold their nose and do it anyway). I mean, climate genocide? If captain planet was elected president I don't think he could significantly mitigate our terrible role in the destruction of the climate and biosphere. IRA or not, you don't get to vote against destroying the planet just like you don't get to vote against genocide. Little wonder people may see us clinging to preserving our norms and find it a bit self serving.

loving dismissing the genocidal effects of the future impact of climate change with some nonsense about Captain Planet? The impact of which will result in the deaths of millions of people, mostly the poorest people in the world and people of color, yeah this ain't it.

There was no good posts about ethical calculations in this thread, just the same tired arguments of electoralism, where people pretend that just because not every vote matters, that its morally okay to actively campaign for Trump.

If you were to be most charitable, there is a class of people who want Biden to win, but think they can be "morally pure" by not voting/tangibly campaigning for Biden to lose and that's pure bullshit. You are not absolved from any "lesser evil" just because you made it slightly harder for other people to defeat the greater evil.

If you're not being charitable, there are some rear end in a top hat accelerationists and actual pro-Trump guys too cowardly to just own that they're pro-Trump that keep making GBS threads up this thread. And they are 100% unironically pro genocide.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

RealityWarCriminal posted:

So the 6-3 court will become a 5-4 court? Inspiring. None of the conservative justices are even particularly old or obviously dying.

Yes, progress is better than nothing?

Thomas is 75 years old and alito is 73. Things happen

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
From my perspective, there's mainly 3 types of posters who won't ever agree and talk past each other all day itt:

- lesser evil voting strategists who will hold their nose and pull for Biden
- people on the fence who don't want to vote for either candidate, and perhaps won't vote (or will 3rd party)
- posters who split their time between this thread and the succdem thread and cspam just wanting to stir poo poo up and get their laughs in reposting from this thread to that one mockingly

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Yes. My point is, that you are making the same trade-off.

How? Where? By what method is my vote hurting people in gaza? How is my vote part of the cause of the undesirable effect? And if it were, how would it absolve you of the same or limit the impact of my criticism? The relevant question isnt whether people get hurt, its whether more people get hurt, surely?

Mormon Star Wars posted:

You are also making a determination of what innocent people you are willing to hurt in order to keep your values intact.

What on earth is this sentence supposed to mean? I am genuinely puzzled as to what you are trying to communicate, and expect whatever it is that lead you to write this in the belief I would be able to derive some meaning from it might be part of the disconnect, because I dont even have a guess.

Even if I agreed with your factual assertion, which is itself incomplete and I dont, and shared your values assumption (I assure you I do not, but Im trying to operate within a frame where conversation is possible so lets pretend I do) it feels like this is the bit thats supposed to make those things into some sort of point and it comes across as actual nonsense to me.

edit:
okay, I think I have narrowed down the troublesome bit. "Values". What do you mean by that? I am not familiar with a definition where "intact" is a modifier that can be applied to them.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 11, 2024

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

FistEnergy posted:

That's why I asked you what you believe, and "the future is unknowable" is a cowardly answer. I assume that there's a reason you don't want to give an answer?

FistEnergy posted:

I'm not trying to convince you; you've already made it very clear that you're working backwards from your conclusion, and you're also assuming that everyone who thinks that Biden is a better option than Trump likes the situation of "we have two options".

FistEnergy posted:

You literally posted this:

FistEnergy posted:

This is an incorrect, sneering, and just awful post. You're not going to convince anyone to do anything in this manner.

You don't get to attack people with nothing other than 'ur post sux lol' and then throw a fit when someone asks you to defend your viewpoint with an incredibly simple question, which you then proceed to avoid answering in favor of "uhh well well the future is unknowable!!!!"

The Mattybee fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 11, 2024

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FistEnergy posted:

I have no idea and neither do you.
Dude that is such a bullshit response and you know it.

Yeah the future is unknowable but its not hard to look at his past actions and acknowledge what he'd probably do is worse.

Trump is a gently caress up who pretends to be a strong man but then gets led around by real deal strongmen like Putin or the House of Saud.

You flat out can't be honest and believe that good or better things will come from a person like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FistEnergy posted:

I have no idea and neither do you. That's in the future and no one can know for sure

Why are you giving Trump way more leeway than Biden on this? We got 4 years of both of them. This might have flown in 2016 but Trump now has a record and it's not a good one

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

it's not enough to say that you would hold your nose and vote for him, you have to praise him. He has to be the most progressive president ever. He's the most empathetic man in the government who truly does care about Palestinians. He's definitely as sharp as a tack. He's the only one that can save our democracy.

Voting isn't enough, if you don't admit these things, if you don't praise him while he funds a genocide of your own comrades, then you are helping Trump.

I have not seen this argument. People are talking about voting. A vote that is made holding your nose, and a vote done enthusiastically count just the same.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I have not seen this argument. People are talking about voting. A vote that is made holding your nose, and a vote done enthusiastically count just the same.

Were you in such a hurry to respond that you didn't scroll down like three posts under mine to see the one where the guy immediately proved my point by saying that saying bad things about Biden was getting Trump elected? Are we pretending "By buying into bad framing about Biden, you are helping Trump get elected" has not been just as much as the repeating electoralism Discourse as every other repetition?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Were you in such a hurry to respond that you didn't scroll down like three posts under mine to see the one where the guy immediately proved my point by saying that saying bad things about Biden was getting Trump elected? Are we pretending "By buying into bad framing about Biden, you are helping Trump get elected" has not been just as much as the repeating electoralism Discourse as every other repetition?

Quote the post that said holding your noise and voting for Biden isn't enough, he must also be praised.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Quote the post that said holding your noise and voting for Biden isn't enough, he must also be praised.

Pleasant Friend posted:

Important thread reminder that if you vote against Joe Biden, or more importantly as some of you tend to do, nakedly campaign to reelect Trump by being unfairly anti-Biden and push "don't vote/vote third party", you are PRO-genocide and there is no way to deny it.

You want genocide in Ukraine, you want MORE genocide in Gaza, and you want Climate Genocide in Africa and Polynesia. That is the position you are advocating for.

Being "unfair to Biden" (criticising him) makes you pro genocide and pro Trump. It's not enough to vote - you have to withhold criticism also. This is not an acceptable Islamic position.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Being "unfair to Biden" (criticising him) makes you pro genocide and pro Trump. It's not enough to vote - you have to withhold criticism also. This is not an acceptable Islamic position.

That isn't what that post says at all. Being "unfair to Biden" isn't criticising him. If it's factual, how is it unfair?

You're complaining about an argument that isn't being made.

We can solve this pretty easily. Pleasant Friend: do you think that it isn't enough to vote for Biden and you also have to praise him as the most progressive president ever and the most empathetic man in the government who truly does care about Palestinians?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
That post doesn't say what you think it does. It clearly says vote against Biden in the first line, even!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

There wasn't word 1 about requiring Biden to be praised there like DeadlyMuffin asked proof of for in that quote from Pleasant Friend.

Pleasant Friend explicitly stated he was talking about voting against Biden or pushing to don't vote/vote 3rd party in that quote.

You need to learn to slow down and read things more carefully rather knee jerk rage posting over a misread.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Since this thread is on the topic of electoralism again(!), I just want to say three things:

1) I am voting for Joe Biden

2) Biden will win Michigan

3) Biden will win the presidency

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Man of Peace - Donald Trump

quote:

Former President Donald J. Trump said on Saturday that, while president, he told the leaders of NATO countries that he would “encourage” Russia “to do whatever the hell they want” to countries that had not paid the money they owed to the military alliance.

quote:

But he has also called on the United States to “make an agreement” to end the war in Ukraine by ceding Ukrainian territory to Russia, comments that were seen by some as an appeal to American conservatives to block further involvement in the war.

Some European officials and foreign policy experts have said they are concerned that Russia could invade a NATO nation after its war with Ukraine concludes, fears that they say are heightened by the possibility of Mr. Trump returning to the presidency.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Pleasant Friend posted:

loving dismissing the genocidal effects of the future impact of climate change with some nonsense about Captain Planet? The impact of which will result in the deaths of millions of people, mostly the poorest people in the world and people of color, yeah this ain't it.

There was no good posts about ethical calculations in this thread, just the same tired arguments of electoralism, where people pretend that just because not every vote matters, that its morally okay to actively campaign for Trump.

If you were to be most charitable, there is a class of people who want Biden to win, but think they can be "morally pure" by not voting/tangibly campaigning for Biden to lose and that's pure bullshit. You are not absolved from any "lesser evil" just because you made it slightly harder for other people to defeat the greater evil.

If you're not being charitable, there are some rear end in a top hat accelerationists and actual pro-Trump guys too cowardly to just own that they're pro-Trump that keep making GBS threads up this thread. And they are 100% unironically pro genocide.

Being better than Trump on climate isn't nearly enough. The historic IRA is a joke in the face of what we're doing and what's coming. Are you seriously trying to leverage climate justice in an argument somehow supporting US electoralism? Again, even if our leaders wanted to take serious (absolutely necessary) action on that topic, it would never endure under our systems. The market would not bear it, capital would not bear it, the voters would not bear it.

Acting like you're being the reasonable adult, making hard decisions and working with what you've got... while it's plain as day we cannot overcome this threat within American electoralism as we know it. Less than half measures stretched over decades that can be rolled back by something as common as Republicans (one of our two parties) winning an election.

We can't be morally pure sitting back and being thankful for our vote. If morally pure even exists it is far our of reach for us.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BRJurgis posted:

Being better than Trump on climate isn't nearly enough. The historic IRA is a joke in the face of what we're doing and what's coming. Are you seriously trying to leverage climate justice in an argument somehow supporting US electoralism? Again, even if our leaders wanted to take serious (absolutely necessary) action on that topic, it would never endure under our systems. The market would not bear it, capital would not bear it, the voters would not bear it.

Acting like you're being the reasonable adult, making hard decisions and working with what you've got... while it's plain as day we cannot overcome this threat within American electoralism as we know it. Less than half measures stretched over decades that can be rolled back by something as common as Republicans (one of our two parties) winning an election.

We can't be morally pure sitting back and being thankful for our vote. If morally pure even exists it is far our of reach for us.

You're welcome to talk about the things you think we should do that will be more effective than voting - it could be an interesting discussion. But, you know, voting doesn't have a significant opportunity cost so I'm going to keep doing it and not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

GlyphGryph posted:

How? Where? By what method is my vote hurting people in gaza? How is my vote part of the cause of the undesirable effect? And if it were, how would it absolve you of the same or limit the impact of my criticism? The relevant question isnt whether people get hurt, its whether more people get hurt, surely?

What on earth is this sentence supposed to mean? I am genuinely puzzled as to what you are trying to communicate, and expect whatever it is that lead you to write this in the belief I would be able to derive some meaning from it might be part of the disconnect, because I dont even have a guess.

Even if I agreed with your factual assertion, which is itself incomplete and I dont, and shared your values assumption (I assure you I do not, but Im trying to operate within a frame where conversation is possible so lets pretend I do) it feels like this is the bit thats supposed to make those things into some sort of point and it comes across as actual nonsense to me.

edit:
okay, I think I have narrowed down the troublesome bit. "Values". What do you mean by that? I am not familiar with a definition where "intact" is a modifier that can be applied to them.

Again, going back to your post:

GlyphGryph posted:

This is always what its about in the end, isnt it? Its not about trying to do good, or make things better - its about what is being "compromised" - your pride, your ego, your self image - and who and how badly you are willing to hurt innocent people on order to keep those intact. Unless there is something else the word could mean, here? I dont think there is, and think you just slipped up.

Keeping your morality and values intact means you aren't compromising them - in the post, you accuse people including the genocide in the moral weight of their vote as doing it to keep their self-image intact by avoiding compromise. Being fair, when someone is trying to "keep their self-image intact" by avoiding the appearance of endorsing genocide, the self-image they are trying to protect / avoid compromising is a moral one - "I am a good person." However, since you can't know their hearts )and therefore whether their desire to be a good person is a cynical ploy or genuine), let's take it on face-value and assume that everyone mad about the genocide isn't just doing it for cynical ("they just don't want to vote for him because it will compromise their pride.") reasons.

Let's assume that they are making a legitimate moral calculus, here. They are weighing up what they think the results will be of their vote, and they are including the furtherence of genocide in their calculus, and they are giving it a very large weight, such that they think that it outweighs the other potential harms that might come. In your post, you portray this calculus as "Being willing to hurt innocent people" in order to keep those things intact.

However, everyone discussing who to vote for is doing the exact same type of moral calculus. Even in your post, you say that their vote or non-vote will badly hurt innocent people - in other words, you are weighing what you think the outcome will be and deciding that if they vote third party or don't vote to follow their self-image, it will result in morally bad outcome.

So drawing a moral line about your vote isn't something the perfidious anti-Biden are doing and everyone else is strictly pragmatic about - Clearly, voting for what you think is the outcome that you predict will "badly hurt innocent people" is equally a moral decision, so the issue isn't that some people are avoiding being morally compromised: Everyone is avoiding being morally compromised! Everyone is judging this according to their own moral calculus! Not just the bad guys, but also everyone who is arguing that voting for Joe Biden is morally obligatory!

The difference is where we are drawing the line, and that difference appears to be this: That some people include voting for a person committing a genocide as worthy as being included in the calculus, and others don't. Presumably, if I'm offering a good faith view, there is a reasonable reason for this: If you think the genocide is inevitable and no vote can affect it either way, and therefore it deserves as much moral weight in your choice of vote as any other inevitable thing, like weather, or dying one day, or the seasonal flu. In that case, "The genocide is going to happen no matter what, so giving it any amount of weight in our moral calculus is a waste of time. We should only consider things we can change with the vote itself, and both votes will end up in genocide" is a reasonable position to hold, but:

Again, the people including the genocide in their decision are not just prideful people who are too hung up on morality. They are engaging in the same kind of moral reasoning as you. The difference here is not pride or self-image or weak moral character or whatever: It's how much weight you give to the genocide, or if you include it in your decision at all. As much as you have argued that they are leading to "badly hurting innocents" by weighing the genocide more than local problems (whatever they may be - you don't specify which in the post) - they can equally point out that you are also weighing some innocents more than others, just in the opposite direction.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

You also can't be morally pure by smugly sitting back and refusing to push the button and ensure things are slightly less bad.

But here's the trick, your ability to do politics doesn't begin and end at the election. Go talk to people about electoral reforms from a state level office up direction, organize to get alternative ballot types for state and national level positions. Directly lobby your government officials to pressure the administration to stop supporting Israel. Take direct action against those producing arms if you feel very strongly and have a good strategy.

There are much better ways to regain your feelings of being morally centered than to pretend that by not voting you're doing anything but giving half an effective vote to the delta in policy between the better and worse of the two candidates.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Again, the people including the genocide in their decision are not just prideful people who are too hung up on morality. They are engaging in the same kind of moral reasoning as you. The difference here is not pride or self-image or weak moral character or whatever: It's how much weight you give to the genocide, or if you include it in your decision at all. As much as you have argued that they are leading to "badly hurting innocents" by weighing the genocide more than local problems (whatever they may be - you don't specify which in the post) - they can equally point out that you are also weighing some innocents more than others, just in the opposite direction.

You're supporting it by staying home, too. There's no walking away and washing your hands of it. Inaction is still an action and no matter what you do that doesn't include more than voting, you're lodging one vote for the genocide in Palestine and half a vote for every hypothetical thing Trump does that's worse.

I'm not saying this to sway anyone and this isn't how I would discuss it in other contexts, to get ahead of anyone bringing that up again.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I feel like one core thing on why these arguments go in circles is that both sides are viewing the opposite viewpoint as an existential threat

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

BougieBitch posted:

Literally every time someone posts the bait of "Voting Joe makes you culpable" we get pages and pages of this poo poo, we've already covered this ground and mods have already requested electoralism chat go to another thread, I would like to read about current events in the current events thread, not take a 15 person poll of SA posters about voting intention.

Yeah you basically have to nuke all the electoralism chat because it has for years degenerated to a nojoe safari, and it's not going to be any different anytime soon, so it gets to be an ex-conversation

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Mormon Star Wars posted:

2) The first consideration of harm reduction is how this targets the community. For Democratic officials and every day reply people, the common refrain is: "But if Trump is elected, he'll do a genocide and do a travel ban." Here is where the problem becomes obvious: Democrats aren't asking Muslims to vote for the lesser evil towards their community and others, but rather, normalizing selling out communities by accepting vastly greater harm to another community in exchange to something bad but mostly inconvenient to us. This isn't how the Islamic principle of choosing the lesser evil works. If someone says, oh, I won't get hassled at the airport, and all I have to do is accept that the price of this is someone else gets genocided?" That's not a sharia principle, that's monstrous. And not just in shariah - imagine it being applied to any other group. Yes, LGBT comrades, you can adopt kids in main - but only if you accept the that we have to stop all asylum cases and expand the border camps - this is something most people would not accept, even if it benefits them, because they have a conception of human dignity.

When the Democrats say that we should be more scared of a travel ban for us than a genocide for others - they are asking us to ignore the human dignity of the dead. That is not just "reducing the harm," that's demanding that we kill the principle of solidarity and change our entire ethical compass.

This is what I’m scared of, the sacrificing of certain communities for the “greater good”. Right now, people are weighing the dignity and lives of one community against the potential degradation of others and coming down on selling out one community. But will it stop there? Right now it’s Palestinians and asylum seekers at the border. But in the future it could be the LGBT community or another oppressed community. Will we have to keep sacrificing specific groups for the greater good?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kagrenak posted:

You also can't be morally pure by smugly sitting back and refusing to push the button and ensure things are slightly less bad.

But here's the trick, your ability to do politics doesn't begin and end at the election. Go talk to people about electoral reforms from a state level office up direction, organize to get alternative ballot types for state and national level positions. Directly lobby your government officials to pressure the administration to stop supporting Israel. Take direct action against those producing arms if you feel very strongly and have a good strategy.

There are much better ways to regain your feelings of being morally centered than to pretend that by not voting you're doing anything but giving half an effective vote to the delta in policy between the better and worse of the two candidates.

You're supporting it by staying home, too. There's no walking away and washing your hands of it. Inaction is still an action and no matter what you do that doesn't include more than voting, you're lodging one vote for the genocide in Palestine and half a vote for every hypothetical thing Trump does that's worse.

I'm not saying this to sway anyone and this isn't how I would discuss it in other contexts, to get ahead of anyone bringing that up again.

Again, everyone making any sort of calculus could be described as trying to be "morally pure." When you decide that you are doing harm reduction by voting in a certain way, that is a moral decision, and you are setting a moral line. The difference isn't that some people desire moral purity and others are pragmatic - Everyone is making a moral choice, it's just that some people are including the genocide in their decisionmaking, and others aren't. But pretending it's all about "moral purity" is a silly read of the situation. At best, I'm willing to bet that I might even be the only person in this conversation that actually believes in sin leaving a stain on your soul. How does moral purity work for an atheist or anyone else who doesn't believe in the reality of sin?

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 11, 2024

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I feel like one core thing on why these arguments go in circles is that both sides are viewing the opposite viewpoint as an existential threat

I'm not! I don't hold non-Muslims to Muslim moral standards with regards to voting. Vote how you like!

edit: Or become Muslim. >:)

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

That isn't what that post says at all. Being "unfair to Biden" isn't criticising him. If it's factual, how is it unfair?

You're complaining about an argument that isn't being made.

We can solve this pretty easily. Pleasant Friend: do you think that it isn't enough to vote for Biden and you also have to praise him as the most progressive president ever and the most empathetic man in the government who truly does care about Palestinians?

Thank you, you don't have to praise Biden at all, there is lots you can criticize, but criticizing Biden is very different from borderline lying about him (or his opponent's positions), or actively campaigning against him and pretending that by helping to elect Trump (such as by telling people not to vote/vote third party) you haven't already crossed the threshold into a morally repugnant position.

This is a two party system, you can't absolve yourself by opting out, and you especially don't get to "not own" endorsing all of Trumps genocidal polices and positions if day after day you work to make sure he's elected.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm kind of surprised some Republican adjacent operatives haven't gotten the idea of going into leftist online spaces and just done a bunch of posts going "if you vote for Biden you are pro-Genocide" and similar kind of posting just to stir poo poo up before the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Madkal posted:

I'm kind of surprised some Republican adjacent operatives haven't gotten the idea of going into leftist online spaces and just done a bunch of posts going "if you vote for Biden you are pro-Genocide" and similar kind of posting just to stir poo poo up before the election.

I assume they are, they’ve certainly done it in the past: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jun/11/facebook-ads-turning-point-usa-rally-forge