Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

What's the NFL equivalent of drawing walks? A valuable skill that the NFL media largely ignores?

I'd go with thrown at% for DBs. Its a defensive stat, I know.

I think the discussion was on Bomani's podcast earlier this week (the episode with Nate Tice?) but a parallel or equivalent to OBP sounds like the analytics dorks have already decided that WR drops don't matter, because a valuable receiver 1. can get balls that shouldn't be caught (I think Brandon Marshall was pointed to as an example) and 2. when they do make a catch, it outweighs the value lost from the drops.

it's hard to draw a perfect comparison because baseball and football are so different, and football lags behind in the data/analytics sense as well.

Mustached Demon posted:

Pete Rose being banned in today's sports world is stupid as well.

nah, they're still bouncing people in various leagues for betting on their own teams, and for the cover-up not the crime in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I probably draw the line of players betting on their own sport. Betting on other sports? gently caress it, go wild.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

seiferguy posted:

I probably draw the line of players betting on their own sport. Betting on other sports? gently caress it, go wild.

Yeah, it's this. You wanna bet on someone else's sport? Sure.

But if you're betting on your own sport? Yeah, :cop:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I still think they should be able to bet on stuff they would want to be doing anyway. Like, you can bet on your team to win because you should want to win anyway, but you cannot bet on your team to lose because then you can throw the game to win your bet. Nothing with spread type stuff where point shaving is possible.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Waltzing Along posted:

I looked at his stats and accomplishments and you guys are wrong. Lynch is not a HOFer. Sorry. He's a HOF personality but not player. 5 pro bowls, 2 all-pro led the league in TDs 1 time, and rushing TDs 2 times. And has a famous playoff play.

And that's it. Not really a HOF resume. He did play longer than most RBs, too. His highest career counting stat is TDs where he is 28th all-time.

Seattle hall of fame, yes. Canton? Naw.

Correct. If he makes the HOF and Steven Jackson or Fred Taylor don't, then something is even more fucky than it is now.

SJax - eight 1,000 yard seasons (all consecutive)
Fred Taylor - seven 1,000 yard seasons
Marshawn - six 1,000 yard seasons

SJax and Taylor can't help they played for lovely teams. Those guys were carrying their respective teams as much as they could.

Not to take anything away from Marshawn, but he played on multiple playoff teams, and was more noticed by the media than SJax and Taylor were.

Papercut posted:

David Ortiz was the 58th person to ever be a 1st ballot HoFer and he actually pissed hot, amazing how lovely the baseball HoF is

Right. So put McGwire, bonds, and clemens in already. Put Rose in, too. gently caress it.

And one more thing, London Fletcher should be in the HOF as well.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I just think it's ridiculous how much sports betting advertising has overtaken sports media.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it's ridiculous that with how prevalent sports gambling is nowadays that the sports books and/or the government are allowing the leagues to run their own refs out there. There should be a separate refs union for all the sports that takes care of that stuff. It's totally bonkers that the NFL has geriatrics running around and don't get me started on MLB.

The ability of the various leagues to massage outcomes via their own refs needs to go away.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

I just think it's ridiculous how much sports betting advertising has overtaken sports media.

ESPN now filling the scoreboard with betting lines, making it dramatically less readable, blew me away

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sports gambling was always gonna be huge. Prior to this, Vegas got tons of money in on bets. It's just when the laws changed to allow it in places not named Vegas it basically meant all bets were off (pun intended).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Had a cosmic crisp apple for breakfast. drat that's a crisp apple.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Had a cosmic crisp apple for breakfast. drat that's a crisp apple.

Best thing to come out of Pullman since that damned canned cheese.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Someone explain the cheese to me. I see it all over but I have never tried it and I don't get it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lifespan posted:

Someone explain the cheese to me. I see it all over but I have never tried it and I don't get it.

It’s really good cheese.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lifespan posted:

It's just really good cheese that comes in a can to keep it safe.

Like ridiculously good cheese that puts the Packers to shame. My UW-alum wife even puts aside all her hatred and malice to spread the word of the delicious canned cheese.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Win or lose, we still booze and make really good cheese.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Happy Super Bowl day NFC West/Best thread

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Win or lose, we still booze and make really good cheese.

don't forget the apples! whoever wins the Apple Cup, we know who makes the apples

...drat, now I'm sad about the Apple Cup. we have to save it

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
On this blessed day The Run will be Established by CMC for glory to the NFC West

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Syntaxed posted:

On this blessed day The Run will be Established by CMC for glory to the NFC West

All shall love him and despair.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm making Buffalo wings. Sister is coming over with her son, who's around 18 months now.

I'm a proud new uncle who will teach my nephew the ways of The Run :3:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
classic runcle behavior

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Syntaxed posted:

In the name of the blast, power, and jet sweep, amen

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Benne posted:

I'm making Buffalo wings. Sister is coming over with her son, who's around 18 months now.

I'm a proud new uncle who will teach my nephew the ways of The Run :3:

18 month old is going to be teaching you the ways of the run.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
There is no glory that can be won by an inglorious franchise like the Niners.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz

Mustached Demon posted:

It's just really good cheese that comes in a can to keep it safe.

Like ridiculously good cheese that puts the Packers to shame. My UW-alum wife even puts aside all her hatred and malice to spread the word of the delicious canned cheese.

It's really hard to get the Cougar Gold. Finally got another tin after a few years.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Syntaxed posted:

Run CMC.

Kyle, I beg you, if you are leading in the 4th quarter, run the goddamn ball. No crafty pass plays, run the ball.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

trilljester posted:

Run CMC.

Kyle, I beg you, if you are leading in the 4th quarter, run the goddamn ball. No crafty pass plays, run the ball.

just run.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

King Hong Kong posted:

18 month old is going to be teaching you the ways of the run.

lol my sister thought the infant raising would be the hardest part, and then he started walking.

It's really something watching first-time parents age in real time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Benne posted:

lol my sister thought the infant raising would be the hardest part, and then he started walking.

It's really something watching first-time parents age in real time.

Yeah it's a good 2-3 months from first steps to running between the tackles.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm tensed/nervous that only a few hours away til the kick off.

God bless CMC and the run. Trust the run Kyle.

Go 49ers.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pork shoulder just came off and now must rest. It should turn out quite tasty.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Run. Pass. Whatever. Just try to win. Stop trying not to lose.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I am rooting for you 9ers friends, inshallah the run will be established

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Kyle once again *not* using his timeouts in a way that I find very frustrating

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah that was just bad clock management. Coulda had a minute or more.

Niners look way way better so far.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Two more quarters to go. Run the ball kyle.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Run the ball, Kyle.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Why was he passing so much. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shindragon posted:

Why was he passing so much. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Because the Chiefs defense was crowding the line.