Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

For kitchens I like to build a shelf that only holds vegetables. Corn lasts a very long time unrefrigerated, even rice probably isn't at risk of spoiling when it's sitting next to your stove and getting consumed regularly for meals. If you're making simple meals then this is just a huge efficiency boost, and if you're making fine meals then you're still cutting out half of your walking time and that's great

A shelf for meat is an option too but obviously that has spoilage risks. I know there are storage mods that let you tune exactly how much a spot can hold, that may be an option - I'm lazy and just keep the fridge next to the kitchen, and a shelf for meat right next to the door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Your Computer posted:

my cozy little settlement year 1 :3:

i'm sure there's a million terrible things about this but i'm relearning the game on the baby difficult and enjoy it a lot

That sure is a nice little wooden base you have there.

It would be a shame if something were to...

*zzzt*

happen to it.

EDIT: More seriously there's no real reason to have batteries if you're using river power. Solar flares and the like might mess with solar panels; I don't think there's anything in game that makes a river not be a river.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 11, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can you refrigerate the kitchen or that does that cause too much unhappiness?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

The Lone Badger posted:

It’s not really about the happiness, but it’s that cooking, like most workbench tasks, takes longer if the temperature is too extreme.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hellioning posted:

EDIT: More seriously there's no real reason to have batteries if you're using river power. Solar flares and the like might mess with solar panels; I don't think there's anything in game that makes a river not be a river.

Sunlamps are very power hungry and the batteries help manage that load. Those batteries aren't topped off so they're doing something at least.

Technically meteor impacts can change the base terrain which would delete the river but that may be a bug.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ZeeCee posted:

In general, any mod on this list should prolly be heavily considered before being added. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12mAva1anZribuz6PmNoTJvTq5AdgarPyiB1cd1pFsMg/edit#gid=0

I was looking for something like this for a while, so thanks for posting it!

And of course I have like 10-20 mods from the red and orange categories. :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

I don't want to nitpick optimization for someone having fun starting out though so all I'm gonna say is think about replacing all that wood with stone, you're one badly timed fire away from losing everything.

Hellioning posted:

That sure is a nice little wooden base you have there.

It would be a shame if something were to...

*zzzt*

happen to it.
about half of the walls are already sandstone instead of wood so i am working on it :supaburn:

i wish there were more floor options because stone tiles don't feel nearly as cozy as a wood floor

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Honestly I'd never had a fire be a problem in a wooden base before impid tribes were a thing (and I tend to turn mono-race factions off anyway). You can manage the severity of zzzt events by individually switching batteries, zzzts with two or fewer batteries are barely a fire hazard at all, and without mods that demand more power-hungry applications, it's not that hard to just occasionally send someone to flick some switches in your battery room. A dry thunderstorm in a huge wooden base can be a problem, but something the size of Your Computer's base is unlikely to get more than one or two hits, and in an underground base even that's not even a concern. You used to only really need to move up to stone in time for raiders arriving with flamethrowers and the like, or your base is so huge that your pawns can't get to a fire fast enough to put it out.

Less so of course, now that right from the start you can get raids from people who can all breathe fire and tote flamebows.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i've noticed a couple of "uh oh" things that makes me worried about my save and was wondering if anyone knew what sort of risks i might run into -

the first thing is that every time i load my save i get the popup "about : Electricy" saying that my colony has finally harnessed the power which outsiders call "electricity". i have zero clue what's causing this but something is clearly wonky. i chose a normal crashland start so i had electricty from the moment we landed, but this popup shows up every time i load my save including when i first started the game (i checked the message log)

the second thing is that the ideoligion i created was with a mod (Biomes! Prehistoric) that i am not using on my current save, which i didn't think about at the time until i ran into this relic

which uh, was supposed to be a skull that doesn't exist in my current game

should i be worried? :ohdear:

e: speaking of being worried

three of them have gone feral and one turned manhunter and had to be put down but otoh it's kind of fun to see just how stupid this can get

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 11, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Your Computer posted:

about half of the walls are already sandstone instead of wood so i am working on it :supaburn:

i wish there were more floor options because stone tiles don't feel nearly as cozy as a wood floor

get Replace Stuff if you have not already
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372003680

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

if i had to pick ONE single mod that i will NEVER remove, it's Replace Stuff :hmmyes:

i don't think i ever posted my mod list, y'all helped me get rid of edb prepare carefully and rational romance, are there any other standout Bad Mods in my list?

i'm also eyeing the vanilla cooking expanded + stews for all the delicious soups, canned food, cheese etc. that it adds and the vanilla plants expanded because i think plants are some of the most boring parts of vanilla.

i also also kinda regret where i settled my base now because i forgot it was a temperate forest and temperate forests bum me out by how little variety there is in the seasons. i love how boreal forests get actual winters with snow and everything that comes with it, having to deal with warmth and looking forward to spring etc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

You can pack up what you can carry and caravan off to find somewhere else to settle, don't forget!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your Computer posted:

i've noticed a couple of "uh oh" things that makes me worried about my save and was wondering if anyone knew what sort of risks i might run into -

the first thing is that every time i load my save i get the popup "about : Electricy" saying that my colony has finally harnessed the power which outsiders call "electricity". i have zero clue what's causing this but something is clearly wonky. i chose a normal crashland start so i had electricty from the moment we landed, but this popup shows up every time i load my save including when i first started the game (i checked the message log)

the second thing is that the ideoligion i created was with a mod (Biomes! Prehistoric) that i am not using on my current save, which i didn't think about at the time until i ran into this relic

which uh, was supposed to be a skull that doesn't exist in my current game

should i be worried? :ohdear:

e: speaking of being worried

three of them have gone feral and one turned manhunter and had to be put down but otoh it's kind of fun to see just how stupid this can get

Click the Manage Auto-Slaughter button

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2934090958&searchtext=

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

isndl posted:

Butcher table isn't going to cause cleanliness problems because they're separate rooms, foot traffic may be an issue but there are other ways to solve that which won't involve doubling the distance the cook has to travel when working (and that absolutely does matter as your colony gets bigger and you need more meals per day).

It's separate rooms but having foot traffic go through the kitchen, butcher room, and storage area all will lead to dirt getting dragged into the cooking area. The distance is extremely negligible. If you're noticing a pawn going 4 tiles instead of 1 tile to a room making food then you're min maxxing way too much. The food poisoning will offset any time you're trying to save.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Your Computer posted:

i also also kinda regret where i settled my base now because i forgot it was a temperate forest and temperate forests bum me out by how little variety there is in the seasons. i love how boreal forests get actual winters with snow and everything that comes with it, having to deal with warmth and looking forward to spring etc.

what the hell, my first temperate forest we all almost starved cause winter came before i had food figured out good, i had no idea what plot size to use for anything, was feeding starving alpacas cooked meals and stuff, people were melting down and leaving the colony, it was crazy and actually pretty upsetting

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If your Temperate Forest is near the equator it can have a way longer growing season than a Temperate Forest farther north, there can be a significant variation in climate even within biomes.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
efb:
    Temperate forest:
  • Growing Season: From all year to 20/60 days.
  • Average Temperature: 25 °C (77 °F) to 0 °C (32 °F).
  • Temperature Variation: From 35 °C (95 °F) in summer to -25 °C (-13 °F) in winter.
  • Roads and Rivers: Yes.
  • Movement Difficulty: 1, but sometimes 3 due to winter.
  • Forageability: 100%.
  • Grazable: Only during growing season.
  • Disease frequency: 1.2 per year.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

the fridge mod is a good alternative to this by the way, some purists thing it's OP but :shrug:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2898411376

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If you're that worried about tracking dirt into the kitchen, just use straw for the flooring- it takes a lot to get straw floors dirty, and while they have an inherent dirtiness modifier it is way higher than the threshold for food poisoning.

If you're super paranoid about fires (don't be- get over it- your pawns are firefighting machines, you'll be fine anywhere near where your pawns are actively working) dirt actually works the same way. Just leave your kitchen floor as raw dirt.

The raw numbers: Straw matting is -0.1 cleanliness. Dirt is -1 cleanliness. Food poisoning starts at -2 cleanliness.

Flesh Forge posted:

the fridge mod is a good alternative to this by the way, some purists thing it's OP but :shrug:

It is OP compared to the base game, but :shrug: is the right reaction in any case.

I feel like folks should try to engage with the vanilla balance before modding away a challenge, and then consider whether overcoming that challenge was satisfying or an annoying waste of time.

Though it's possible to just know you don't want to deal with a thing to start with and there's really no harm in modding in a convenience if you feel that way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Door Mat (my favorite thing is you can actually build this on the same tile as the door
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1505423207

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Flesh Forge posted:

Unless you really want thermodynamic simulation of the fridges and the glass overlay to see the meals, Simple Utilities: Fridge is far more performant and accomplishes the same thing while matching the vanilla art style better a little better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I guess I don't make enough of them to see any real dip in performance :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

You can pack up what you can carry and caravan off to find somewhere else to settle, don't forget!!
i'm not sure i ever knew that this was possible! that could be a fun long term goal - move to a warmer colder and harsher climate for aesthetic reasons :pram: considering how far away i am from any boreal biomes i assume it would take a ton of prep work, multiple pack animals and a loooot of food for the trip.

i wonder if i could combine this with the vanilla cooking extended mod that lets you can food.... maybe i could do some real prepping and bring lots of canned meals for the trip.

QuarkJets posted:

Click the Manage Auto-Slaughter button
hmm but what if i don't and instead see how far the madness goes

SniperWoreConverse posted:

what the hell, my first temperate forest we all almost starved cause winter came before i had food figured out good, i had no idea what plot size to use for anything, was feeding starving alpacas cooked meals and stuff, people were melting down and leaving the colony, it was crazy and actually pretty upsetting
i must've had terrible/great luck with my temperate forests then, because i feel like the entire year is just more of the same :v: it just gets desaturated in the latter half of the year which is what bums me out the most, it doesn't even get properly cold or snow

to be completely honest i wasn't thinking too much about where i settled because i saw a funny name and decided to settle near it. i am ashamed of admitting this

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Flesh Forge posted:

I guess I don't make enough of them to see any real dip in performance :shrug:
Yeah it's not a thing where you must switch or your game will die, just that there's a better alternative to RimFridge these days unless you just like the look or specific details of it :)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Your Computer posted:

to be completely honest i wasn't thinking too much about where i settled because i saw a funny name and decided to settle near it. i am ashamed of admitting this

dumb joke/gimmick colonies is a very large fraction of the replay value of this game :shrug:

speaking of dumb gimmicks, I like the whole pollution gimmick so much I'm leaning into it even more:
I made a custom race of basically Warhammer Skavens, small and ratlike and hardy and really terrible at everything, they thrive on eating garbage

Conservationist/Polluter Ideology memes, so my skavens get warm fuzzy feelings when surrounded by filth and goop
Gas Vents, so I can fill my hallways and rooms with the lovely green stink
Toxic Plants Expanded poison is our medicine

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 11, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Every Temperate Forest start I've ever had gets at least one cold snap or heat wave every single summer/winter and the cold snap happens 100% of the time leading into or coming out of winter. There's a lot of RNG in this game but it clearly rigs it if your temperature has been even for too long.

I also automatically prepare for a raid whenever it rains because it happens every single time along with every good wanderer pawn being a traitor.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ah heck it all, i installed the cooking and plants extended mods i want to make some soup and cheese and then my longterm goal can be to leave the barrens :3:

Flesh Forge posted:

speaking of dumb gimmicks, I like the whole pollution gimmick so much I'm leaning into it even more:
I made a custom race of basically Warhammer Skavens, small and ratlike and hardy and really terrible at everything, they thrive on eating garbage

Conservationist/Polluter Ideology memes, so my skavens get warm fuzzy feelings when surrounded by filth and goop
Gas Vents, so I can fill my hallways and rooms with the lovely green stink

i adore this

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Big downside to the gas vents mod: it goes through tox shells FAST, like 1 per game hour :smith:
e: I want something like the Autobong but that makes toxic gas but doesn't have to be reloaded with handcrafted finite consumables every day

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 11, 2024

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Flesh Forge posted:

Crying laughing at these guys. little weirdos who can't do anything right, even the things they're ostensibly good at. Beautiful.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Themed race mods are really fun sometimes. I once ran a colony of fire worshiping psychic cannibal moth people.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been going through page after page in the workshop and found this mod that looks pretty neat. Your colony is basically an insect hive

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2992325761&searchtext

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Big downside to the gas vents mod: it goes through tox shells FAST, like 1 per game hour :smith:
e: I want something like the Autobong but that makes toxic gas but doesn't have to be reloaded with handcrafted finite consumables every day

this mod does more what I want, you can tune the rate it which it consumes fuel and make it reasonable to use the way I want to use it

Tox Vent

manually edit the def file for it and change FuelConsumption to whatever

e: :toxx:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 11, 2024

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
had an extremely eventful last couple of days of the first year and i really hope i can turn this around

first i was raided by this yeti woman, who miraculously survived our gunshots so i took her in and began treating her

the moment she was able to walk she tried to break out of the base but i put her back in bed, which i'm glad i did because the very same day a transport pod crashed.

it was the yeti's gay wife

i specify gay because somehow the yeti is straight but her wife is both gay and extremely faithful. she was badly hurt and almost died of her wounds but i nursed her back to health, after which she just tried to leave..? obviously i couldn't let her abandon her wife like this (she's supposed to be faithful!) so i had her arrested and put in jail with her wife

now i'm desperately trying to recruit both of them but the highest social skill i have is 2. my other two characters have 0. i want them to join so badly. i don't think the game expected/is built for something like this to happen and i'd love to use the fact that i saved her wife to more easily recruit the other woman but oh well

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Sounds like your decorative bones just got turned into a Legendary sniper rifle, a win in my book!

e: didn’t refresh for awhile I guess, oops. Anyway get RimFridge. If anyone tells you having a chest freezer is OP, harvest their organs.

You can have a double freezer on either side of your cook chair, usually I have got meat in one and veggies (or GRAIN) in the other. And later a single fridge behind, stocking psychoid leaves for tea. They cost steel, power, and components, so they’re a little more serious than just a shelf.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 11, 2024

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I really, really, really hate the way the game just randomly spawns raiders and goes 'hey, this person is related to your colonist!' Yeah, that 15 year old kid is clearly the great grandmother of this 57 year old man, Rimworld. Makes perfect sense.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

King Doom posted:

I really, really, really hate the way the game just randomly spawns raiders and goes 'hey, this person is related to your colonist!' Yeah, that 15 year old kid is clearly the great grandmother of this 57 year old man, Rimworld. Makes perfect sense.

Never Generate Relations is good for this and helps larger colonies not end up with fractal family trees every raid.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

King Doom posted:

It actually does have a bit of an excuse in the ~lore~, because if you are put into a cryocasket, all of your biological processes, including aging, are suspended. So the kid could have been put into cryosleep after having a child and woken up 100+ years later. :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I kinda want to do a gimmick themed race playthrough now. I thought about doing one based on the High Life meme but I dunno how a constantly high colony would be able to get most things done with the hit to consciousness. But hey maybe that'd be the fun of the challenge? :shrug: