Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's especially silly because they're small town cops, they probably leave the office at 4:00 until the, you know, crime of the century happened. Also she's training to be a nurse, a job that famously keeps regular hours. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
otis, striking a bargain: yall knew i did heroin. that was preexisting knowledge!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
This was the best episode of the season so far for sure.

Paracaidas posted:

Threads to tie up, assuming nothing's supernatural
  • What was the cause of the injuries to Navarro and Otto?
  • why did Otto and/or Clark have Julia's jacket?
  • Who shot Wheeler?
  • what the gently caress is up with the oranges?
  • what the gently caress is up with the bear?
  • what did actually create the corpsicles?
  • why is Ennis the Jonestown of caribou?
  • where is Oliver and/or what happened to him? Also why'd he bail all those years prior
  • Why have a bunch of arctic cops failed to connect Annie's wounds with crampons?
  • Rose

-Who is the "she" that the madmen keep saying is awake?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Mordja posted:

It's especially silly because they're small town cops, they probably leave the office at 4:00 until the, you know, crime of the century happened. Also she's training to be a nurse, a job that famously keeps regular hours. :rolleyes:

she’ll be working the two easiest jobs ever :D

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
This show is bad but there’s one episode left. This episode wasn’t good, you’re just all happy something actually happened in it (even if, with a few moments of thinking, none of it makes any loving sense)
I feel like, with one hour left, pretty much the mystery is what we think it is. Clarke is the killer, the people of Ennis are hosed because of the mine polluting the water. That’s it, couldn’t imagine they have time for any (sensible) big twists or turns.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Digital Prophet posted:

True Detectives

This is my least favorite AI

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Imagine being a single mom in that town. Permanent depression and exhaustion status while trying to meet the needs of a high energy child who you have to breastfeed because there is no clean water. Everyone is having stillbirths and you can't tell if your kid is hosed up from the chemicals you ingested while living here or just a weird kid because they live in this horrible place. She can't help but be pissed off at highschool bf husband because she has a ton of unmet needs and she cannot rely on him because he is just never there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

This show is bad but there’s one episode left. This episode wasn’t good, you’re just all happy something actually happened in it (even if, with a few moments of thinking, none of it makes any loving sense)
I feel like, with one hour left, pretty much the mystery is what we think it is. Clarke is the killer, the people of Ennis are hosed because of the mine polluting the water. That’s it, couldn’t imagine they have time for any (sensible) big twists or turns.

:aloom: this is almost as entertaining as the show.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what would a good twist be

uhh Peter Prior killed Annie and that's why he shot his dad, because Hank knew the truth

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Sickening posted:

:aloom: this is almost as entertaining as the show.

Do you still believe Rust will be showing up next episode?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think this is probably a B show, not terrible not great. It has significant flaws but those flaws also seem worse when people exaggerate them ad nauseum and when they're mixed in with nitpicks by twenty different goons, each of whom mean well but who are all hyperfixating on individual issues, some of which are completely imagined because they weren't paying attention. Not going to jump on anyone in particular but there are some comments like "They never told us this detail! Oh it turns out they did but I didn't notice, it must be bad writing."

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

mrmcd posted:

Honestly the whole thing with Prior Jrs wife getting angry and kicking him out seems a little forced. Afaict she's mad at him for going to work and having a disrespectful boss? I mean he should try to stick up for himself more and push back on having no home and family time but she immediately goes to "You son of a bitch how could you not quit your job the moment your boss demands overtime on a big murder case? Get out of the house you're never seeing your child again."

You'd also think someone going to nursing school would have (and expect in return) some tolerance for occasional weird hours.

I think what we're supposed to take from it (and the "you never wanted a kid" thing) is that this has just been a catalyst to surface already-existing resentment, but we just haven't gotten into their relationship enough for that to fly. I see the intent but I don't feel the execution.

This plot, along with Julia's weirdly rushed and contrivance-filled death, makes me think that this was originally scripted to be 7 or 8 episodes before getting cut to six fairly close to production, and some of the leaps we're seeing are the direct result of that. God knows 8 episodes of this would go even slower, but if it would have fleshed out the characters and conflicts more there's a chance it could have still played significantly better.

Still enjoying it, but you can really see the seams.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
For an all-powerful mega corp, Tuttle really needs to get their poo poo together and get some better goons lol.

Since they keep bringing them up I can’t wait to see how it pays off

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Think Pete! Think!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Turpitude posted:

Imagine being a single mom in that town. Permanent depression and exhaustion status while trying to meet the needs of a high energy child who you have to breastfeed because there is no clean water. Everyone is having stillbirths and you can't tell if your kid is hosed up from the chemicals you ingested while living here or just a weird kid because they live in this horrible place. She can't help but be pissed off at highschool bf husband because she has a ton of unmet needs and she cannot rely on him because he is just never there.

None of the supposed negligence that Pete does is shown. If they had time to develop the character and have him constantly missing out on things maybe she'd have a point but the audience doesn't see it. What they do show is her being mean as gently caress to Pete repeatedly. If you swapped their personalities people would be sympathetic, instead the character just comes off as unreasonable and bitter.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Doltos posted:

None of the supposed negligence that Pete does is shown. If they had time to develop the character and have him constantly missing out on things maybe she'd have a point but the audience doesn't see it. What they do show is her being mean as gently caress to Pete repeatedly. If you swapped their personalities people would be sympathetic, instead the character just comes off as unreasonable and bitter.

The fact that this has been an ongoing thing is really clearly communicated in like every scene involving these two characters. There are a lot of problems with this season but this isn't one of them.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tender Bender posted:

The fact that this has been an ongoing thing is really clearly communicated in like every scene involving these two characters. There are a lot of problems with this season but this isn't one of them.

Completely disagree. It's mentioned in two conversations and bookends her calling Pete stupid.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Doltos posted:

Completely disagree. It's mentioned in two conversations and bookends her calling Pete stupid.

I'm not tallying up how many times it's mentioned because it's so obvious. It's the defining characteristic of their onscreen relationship and when it's not explicitly discussed it's conveyed through basic film and storytelling mechanisms (like him taking the call on Christmas Eve).

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 11, 2024

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
One of the big points of this latest episode is that Pete ran an in depth investigation of the killing of Wheeler, through which he concluded that either Wheeler or Navarro killed Wheeler and then covered it up. That investigation, which certainly took some time, and the findings of said investigation, are saved in his personal computer. It was enough of a thing that made his father suspicious enough to snoop around his laptop. Where it becomes clear that Pete is complicit in covering up a murder for his boss. Which leads me to think that maybe his wife was also aware, even if not of the specific details, but that there was some big deal thing between Pete and Danvers, where Pete was incredibly loyal to Danvers. Maybe that would explain the reason why his wife is upset specifically with him being unable to say no to Danvers, rather than just a matter of hours. Especially in a context where we learn that the reason she started liking him was because he put others well being above his own, except that now "above his own" includes his family.

Like, there are legit problems with pacing in this show. Legit problems with certain storylines being completely dropped or skipped. Legit awkward scenes (like the ice cracking scene). But a lot of the stuff in this thread is "the show only implied but didn't have a Dexter style monologue for me to understand something shown"

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

my bony fealty posted:

what would a good twist be

uhh Peter Prior killed Annie and that's why he shot his dad, because Hank knew the truth

This is my new favorite theory

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

*we see a scene where the husband bails on his wife, who becomes very upset and acts as if this has become a serious problem for their relationship*

NORMAL, FOOLISH TV VIEWER: Hm, based on how the characters are discussing this, I can infer this is an ongoing problem for their relationship.

ENLIGHTENED GOON VIEWER: I don't get it, this has happened literally only one time. The wife is being very unreasonable and blowing this out of proportion.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
drat who woulda thought people would like to be shown and not told in their media

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tender Bender posted:

I can definitely see what they've been going for, but for how central of a character he is and how important his marriage falling apart has been to the plot, I really don't think it's gotten the attention it needed to hit like it should.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 11, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You can tell this season is top notch with the amount of people going eh this wasn't done that well and then having a zealot pop in defending the crappy story telling like it's Citizen Kane

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Doltos posted:

drat who woulda thought people would like to be shown and not told in their media

They do show it, multiple times, while communicating that it is a longer running issue than the ~ two weeks this season has covered.

Doltos posted:

You can tell this season is top notch with the amount of people going eh this wasn't done that well and then having a zealot pop in defending the crappy story telling like it's Citizen Kane

What I actually said:

Tender Bender posted:

Tender Bender posted:

I think this is probably a B show, not terrible not great. It has significant flaws but those flaws also seem worse when people exaggerate them ad nauseum and when they're mixed in with nitpicks by twenty different goons, each of whom mean well but who are all hyperfixating on individual issues, some of which are completely imagined because they weren't paying attention. Not going to jump on anyone in particular but there are some comments like "They never told us this detail! Oh it turns out they did but I didn't notice, it must be bad writing."

You: "Wow so you think this is Citizen Kane?"

sethsez posted:

I can definitely see what they've been going for, but for how central of a character he is and how important his marriage falling apart has been to the plot, I really don't think it's gotten the attention it needed to hit like it should.

Yeah I can see that, I just don't feel like this is a remotely confusing or unclear part of the season. Partly because it's conveyed using bog-standard "busy cop life" tropes as a crutch.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 11, 2024

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tender Bender posted:

*we see a scene where the husband bails on his wife, who becomes very upset and acts as if this has become a serious problem for their relationship*

NORMAL, FOOLISH TV VIEWER: Hm, based on how the characters are discussing this, I can infer this is an ongoing problem for their relationship.

ENLIGHTENED GOON VIEWER: I don't get it, this has happened literally only one time. The wife is being very unreasonable and blowing this out of proportion.

It's also fair to infer that six people frozen into a Boschian popsicle alongside the tongue of a six-year-old cold case popping up at their place of work is an extremely unusual thing that might require some overtime from a cop for a week or so.

The general lack of reaction to the genuinely horrifying nature of the crime just doesn't ring true, and that reverberates down a whole lot of plot threads and character interactions.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
He took a call and bailed on her right as they were starting to get freaky too I believe

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tender Bender posted:

They do show it, multiple times, while communicating that it is a longer running issue than the ~ two weeks this season has covered.

What I actually said:

You: "Wow so you think this is Citizen Kane?"

Yeah I can see that, I just don't feel like this is a remotely confusing or unclear part of the season. Partly because it's conveyed using bog-standard "busy cop life" tropes as a crutch.

drat you're tedious

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tender Bender posted:

It's confusing because "busy cop life" tropes don't really function on something as grotesque as this for as small of a time scale as we've had. Yeah, there have obviously been issues before this, but if she can't handle him taking a week to handle a case this intense then it's hard to picture how she stuck around this long in the first place. If it were "just another murder" or had been going for months it'd track much better, but you can't really tack the aggrieved cop wife trope onto the case that actually exists here without some tweaking.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

sethsez posted:

It's confusing because "busy cop life" tropes don't really function on something as grotesque as this for as small of a time scale as we've had. Yeah, there have obviously been issues before this, but if she can't handle him taking a week to handle a case this intense then it's hard to picture how she stuck around this long in the first place. If it were "just another murder" or had been going for months it'd track much better, but you can't really tack the aggrieved cop wife trope onto the case that actually exists here without some tweaking.

It's not confusing though, it's clear that it's been an ongoing thing involving his cop life and not something that just started from the murder this week. The fact that she's stuck around the whole time and this is her last straw is the whole point. Yes, it doesn't really line up with the setting because the season is really weak around the edges; but again, I'm not mounting a full scale defense of this season, I'm just saying that being deliberately obtuse about really basic storytelling is beside the point and distracts from the actual problems.

Doltos posted:

drat you're tedious

I'm sorry that expecting you to have read the posts on the same page you're posting on is tedious, but I think we've figured out why you're struggling to grasp some of the simple storytelling tropes on display this season.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 11, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sethsez posted:

It's the main issue. Whatever they want to convey is getting lost with the nature of the crime and the pacing of the episodes. Maybe if they had more time to reinforce it it'd be fine but I don't blame anyone for finding the dysfunctional relationship unconvincing when it gets barely any screen time among all the other stuff they're trying to shove into 6 episodes.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tender Bender posted:

It's not confusing though, it's clear that it's been an ongoing thing and not something that just started this week. The fact that she's stuck around the whole time and this is her last straw is the whole point. Yes, it doesn't really line up with the setting because the season is really weak around the edges; but again, I'm not mounting a full scale defense of this season, I'm just saying that being deliberately obtuse about really basic storytelling is beside the point and distracts from the actual problems.

When I say "it's confusing" I don't mean I'm unable to track the actual events that are occurring or the reasons for them.

What I mean is

quote:

Yes, it doesn't really line up with the setting because the season is really weak around the edges

the fact that it doesn't line up with the setting is crucial. The marriage plotline is important to both character development and the central plot, and the crime at the center of all this is the driving force behind why Peter isn't home for the duration of the series. You can't separate them. The fact that the home plot doesn't line up with the crime isn't an ancillary problem, it's the basis of the entire disconnect.

Peter exists in a show where six people were found frozen together in a hell tableau. Kayla exists in a show where a vagrant was found strangled but there might just be more to this. It kneecaps an otherwise standard plot point.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I think it's just lazy writing because they needed Pete to get booted from the house by this episode so he could be in the Danvers shack to shoot his dad. Like maybe there's a whole bunch of detailed background involving their relationship that got cut for time, but the way it is now she just shows up with all his poo poo in a duffle bag because that's his train ticket to Dead Dad Station.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Doltos posted:

I think a lot of people in this thread have showcased confusion about the season plot points because the episodes are plodding, there's a ton of loose threads everywhere, and characters establish something once in a line lost in a myriad of other lines.

Eh, mostly it's people getting performatively upset about a show they're not paying attention to, which is fine and how TVIV is supposed to work.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I also think it's a weird complaint that Pete's relationship is breaking down hasn't been communicated properly. It's like saying Pete's dad isn't lonely - both have been communicated plenty across the episodes - and ultimately this is a six episode series. I don't think they needed to dedicate an episode to this ancillary character so that you wouldn't miss this detail.

That said I'd agree it's not a great sign that said ancillary characters aren't memorable enough for details like that to stick – but I also think that's a 'setting yourself up for disappointment' way to approach tv shows. This ain't Succession, and that's fine.

Doltos posted:

No one is doing this and it's annoying to imply they are.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I feel like they’ve done a fine job showing the rift between Pete and his wife but I also think it’s kind of dumb for the reasons people have mentioned.

But people do dumb things, so ultimately it’s fine.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it's a bit more annoying that people can't conceive that viewers would fine the poorly plotted out TV show difficult to fully absorb but to each their own I guess

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone recut the opening with the John hawkes song.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

ruddiger posted:

Someone recut the opening with the John hawkes song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So, Sean Penn agreed to murder an innocent guy and the chief of police for a promotion and pay hike?

Yeah, ok, he wasn't portrayed as the most trustworthy guy in town, but straight up double murder of two innocent people is a really extreme escalation.