Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Chariot is hosed because it's you spending the whole link telling your buddy the right thing to do is push through the pain and keep running even though he's been told this will risk his ability to walk for the rest of his life, until finally he snaps out of it on his own and goes "actually I'm going to get surgery to fix my knee, but hey thanks for all the encouragement up till now" which :psyduck:

Emperor is fine, it's about a teenager in a position of authority coming to grips with the reality that there's more to leading than enforcing rules and punishments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P4 is the only game with a Chariot link that doesn't involve a messed up leg.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

You're right, it has two!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Years of Galactic Punts are gonna leave Chie in a wheelchair by the time she's 30.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I did not realize how good the buffs from the combat characteristics were, really wish I'd focused on those night activities a little more instead of trying to rush social stats. Getting Academics finished before the third exam's study sessions wasn't actually an efficient use of my time

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, they both do kinda fit. Emperor's about being torn between two ideals and they all fit that in a way - Hidetoshi between justice and power, Kanji between being true to yourself and your outward image, and Yusuke's passion for art and need to survive.

Also Emperor is the archetypal man/father, so Kanji questioning his masculinity and Yusuke the ideal taught to him by his father figure fit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

anakha posted:

Years of Galactic Punts are gonna leave Chie in a wheelchair by the time she's 30.

Good thing P4 only takes place over a single year then!

(I guess you could add in Arena but that's only like an extra week or so.)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

You think she's not gonna be punting perps to the sky as a cop?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

love that the Gourmet King link goes immediately off the rails. haters begone

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Sydin posted:

Chariot is hosed because it's you spending the whole link telling your buddy the right thing to do is push through the pain and keep running even though he's been told this will risk his ability to walk for the rest of his life, until finally he snaps out of it on his own and goes "actually I'm going to get surgery to fix my knee, but hey thanks for all the encouragement up till now" which :psyduck:

Emperor is fine, it's about a teenager in a position of authority coming to grips with the reality that there's more to leading than enforcing rules and punishments.

Something that's really good about p5s chariot line is that whenever he gets angry or hotheaded the optimal response is always the one that involves telling him to cool it.

It's nice to feel like you're being rewarded for NOT being an enabler.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
that goes for all the confidants except Mishima (where your choices literally don't matter) and Shinya, who is twelve years old

There are some bad calls, like rooting for Makoto to become a cop, but you don't even get the option not to enable them when they happen.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

losing an hours worth of progression to an attack that everyone dodged except the mc who got one shot critted

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

losing an hours worth of progression to an attack that everyone dodged except the mc who got one shot critted

can’t you just restart the fight, or is that only on lower difficulties

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

can’t you just restart the fight, or is that only on lower difficulties

on merciless you can only restart the monthly boss fights and tartarus floor bosses

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rip

i found out that fusing byakko in this requires you to repeatedly hang out with koromaru outside the dorm, which is utterly crackers. dog's cute and all but i got poo poo to do!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Janissary Hop posted:

yeah after getting owned a couple of times i've been running around with a persona that has auto-rakukaja and really high endurance so that even if the fight opens with me eating two weakness hits or crits i don't actually die

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sydin posted:

if you wouldnt support your friend after he confided in you waht kaz tells you youre a piece of poo poo. simple as.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
looking forward to the persona 6 slink where someone talks about donating an organ to try and save a child from disablement and the mc gets called an enabler for supporting such a depraved act fo self harm

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

and we are all looking forward to you making another 6 posts about this exact thing

i think viewing chariot through a lens of you being a dumb kid in high school is a little more charitable but it's still kind of an odd link in general

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
not really. its extremely straightforward, your friend is telling you they want to do something risky for an extraordinarily noble reason, and theyre confiding in you about it. even on the surface snitching on them would be a truly lovely way to act and even trying to lecture them when theyre extremely aware of what theyre doing would be nasty. also within the context of what the mc does, the risk he takes on to help others, it would be supremely hypocritical.a nd thirdly most people at that age saw and were around their friends doing much stupider things with no reason or payoff to do so and managed to not be an annoying nag or tell teacher however i realise on this last point that porbably isnt a relatable experience for the kind of people who post in this thread :D

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Janissary Hop posted:

on merciless you can only restart the monthly boss fights and tartarus floor bosses

That's unfortunately just something you gotta account for on Merciless - you're always at risk of getting insta-killed by a bad crit (or something similar). I always at least save every time I get access to a teleport pad.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I mean, I looked up the scenes of Kazushi's link and the choices to refresh my memory and... you don't really enable him that much? Most of the correct choices involve worrying about him (like a friend would) like caring about his injury or helping him, the only two points choices that sound weird are on rank 6 (where you tell him to have guts) and rank 7 (where the correct choice is "toughen up", which would sound mean if it weren't directed to Kazushi).

Social Links in Persona 3 specially are based on going from the reverse meaning of the Arcana into the upright meaning, and Chariot is about decisive victory, while reversed means a lack of control with either indecision or too much aggression, which both fit the story of the link.

Also it's a story about an anime teenager, of course it's gonna feature the teenagers acting stupid for drama.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
they want an option where you stamp your feet and wag your finger while tutting loudly and then run and tell the teacher and get him in trouble

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Uh not really, I'd like an option where I could tell my friend "hey I understand why you think you need to do this but risking crippling yourself for life in order to convince somebody who's crippled to do PT is a really risky thing to do and if it doesn't work out you'll have almost certainly set your goal back of convincing the five year old that working through the pain and putting in the effort will always pay off." But you know, in less words so it can be a pithy silent protagonist response that gets music notes so I don't have to waste a timeslot down the line to keep the S.Link going.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

how much Persona discourse could have been avoided had they just not implemented the points system and let you answer whatever you want, with only some options loving up the SLink because well duh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i mean, you can. every option i can think of in that link where you can go "just be tough" also has another one that is like "are you sure your knee is okay?", you just slow your progress down by picking them because it's not what he wants to hear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i get what the link is going for but phrasing it as 'toughen up' is kinda weird. but p3 is also sort of half-experimenting with the idea of the s. links as individual characters who react best to what they want to hear rather than the actual direction of their plot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cock hero flux posted:

i mean, you can. every option i can think of in that link where you can go "just be tough" also has another one that is like "are you sure your knee is okay?", you just slow your progress down by picking them because it's not what he wants to hear.

Yeah but I'd rather gently caress up that guy's life than have to waste a timeslot, you think I'm made of those things? It takes me hours to throw money into a collections bin praying for a big brain

The only time I pick incorrect S.Link choices is in P5 where you always take the piss out of Makoto and also tell her do not cop.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sydin posted:

Uh not really, I'd like an option where I could tell my friend "hey I understand why you think you need to do this but risking crippling yourself for life in order to convince somebody who's crippled to do PT is a really risky thing to do and if it doesn't work out you'll have almost certainly set your goal back of convincing the five year old that working through the pain and putting in the effort will always pay off." But you know, in less words so it can be a pithy silent protagonist response that gets music notes so I don't have to waste a timeslot down the line to keep the S.Link going.

guy who goes into a giant tower every night and risks his life and has watched a friend die doing this: i think youre taking too much of a risk to help someone you care about. also thats being a nag and it would have to reverse or end the slink because its a lovely way to behave.

Endorph posted:

i get what the link is going for but phrasing it as 'toughen up' is kinda weird.

it would be weird if it wasnt kaz and the mc. it isnt weird because within their friendship there is an understadning and they care for each other. this isnt even complicated, its very obvious.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sydin posted:

also tell her do not cop.

its cool how u complain when you cant act like a narc yourself though :D 0 self awareness lmfao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

it would be weird if it wasnt kaz and the mc. it isnt weird because within their friendship there is an understadning and they care for each other. this isnt even complicated, its very obvious.
yea i get that like i said, i just think theres kind of a disconnect between like, the two axes p3 (and modern persona is operating on in general) where theres both the mc as self-insert and like, 'what the mc would say' or what their Optimal Guide tells them or w/e. in reality the game flows better if you just pick w/e dialog option feels best to you cause its not like maxing out s. links is hard even in p3 but idk

i think theres in general a kind of tension with s. link writing where like, the link is just gonna progress down the same arc pretty much regardless of anything the mc does or says so the relationship can feel a bit artificial or disconnected. my complaint isnt really 'i wanna narc on this guy :twisted:' and more just, i dont really buy into the bond that much cause mc isnt really adding anything to it. i get where kaz is coming from but mcs role in it feels vague

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Stux posted:

its cool how u complain when you cant act like a narc yourself though :D 0 self awareness lmfao

Wait to you hear about what I plan to do to that kid who smoked a cig in the bathroom

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Endorph posted:

yea i get that like i said, i just think theres kind of a disconnect between like, the two axes p3 (and modern persona is operating on in general) where theres both the mc as self-insert and like, 'what the mc would say' or what their Optimal Guide tells them or w/e. in reality the game flows better if you just pick w/e dialog option feels best to you cause its not like maxing out s. links is hard even in p3 but idk

i think theres in general a kind of tension with s. link writing where like, the link is just gonna progress down the same arc pretty much regardless of anything the mc does or says so the relationship can feel a bit artificial or disconnected. my complaint isnt really 'i wanna narc on this guy :twisted:' and more just, i dont really buy into the bond that much cause mc isnt really adding anything to it. i get where kaz is coming from but mcs role in it feels vague

you can just not do slinks you dont like or dont agree with. i dont think that misses the point bcos in real life people are going to be themselves and if you dont get along with it the friendship will end and you go your seperate ways.

idk about the mc not adding anything to it lol. the mc supports kaz very literally physically as well as emotionally. he is the only person he opens up to and confides in and that is never betrayed even when the mc is going to get in trouble, he is there for him when hes super down emotionally and struggling, he helps basically carry him around as the link goes on. its one of the best slinks because it feels like a genuine friendship and u can understand exactly why kaz trusts the mc. s tier slink for sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea but people have completionist brain, as shown by them basically eliminating reverses and breaks in later games. its a neat idea but it sadly doesnt really work for most players in a 90 hour rpg they arent likely to replay. to be clear i a badass gamer dont have this problem, just speaking hypothetically

also i get all of that, i more mean like, what the mc adds to it personality/character-wise. theres stuff you can read into it but as a blank slate its mostly kaz doing those things at the mc, theres no real back and forth. which again is the case for basically every s. link, there's like 4-5 in the entire series that dont have that problem imo, so this isnt really a problem with the kaz link specifically.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ApplesandOranges posted:

Moon's also better than I heard about. Like, Nozomi's not exactly a great person, but half the link is just him being a glutton and his link kind of actually works. I think people mostly get turned off by him being a fat guy with an iffy original portrait, and being associated with Kenji to unlock him.

From interacting with him, he has legit good taste on food, and will treat you to an enjoyable meal while being nice if a bit annoying. But he is also heavily depressed over his brother's death and the inferiority complex he has about his brother, and as a side effect is heavily punishing his body by overeating. Like he clearly loves food, and would never be a skinny guy, but I imagine if he was not grieving he would not be harming himself with food the way he is.

Clarste posted:

I feel like Kanji and Yusuke are only Emperor at all because it was established in P3 that one of your party members needs to be Emperor.
But Emperor is not a party member in 3.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Endorph posted:

yea but people have completionist brain, as shown by them basically eliminating reverses and breaks in later games. its a neat idea but it sadly doesnt really work for most players in a 90 hour rpg they arent likely to replay. to be clear i a badass gamer dont have this problem, just speaking hypothetically

also i get all of that, i more mean like, what the mc adds to it personality/character-wise. theres stuff you can read into it but as a blank slate its mostly kaz doing those things at the mc, theres no real back and forth. which again is the case for basically every s. link, there's like 4-5 in the entire series that dont have that problem imo, so this isnt really a problem with the kaz link specifically.

if people want to turn themselves insane thats their own problem, i dont think games need to cater for or be concerned with that

idk if ou need much back and forth between "guy willing to blow out his knee to help someone" and "guy willing to blow out his brains to help someone", feels like a link where the mcs motivation for supporting kaz is self-evident and one where he would probably do the exact same thing himself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Akihiko is Emperor. He's just Star in his P3P S. Link for whatever reason (I guess they wanted to replace that s. link more than the emperor one), but even in P3P his personas are still listed as emperor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
upright moon is associated with delusion, deception and poor life choices, so its link characters tend to be a lot to deal with

some of the most volatile, too. nozomi breaks on you mid-link, ebihara's the most turbulent romance option (in that she's the only one you can screw up by jumping into things too fast) and mishima starts to distort before you drag him back to his senses

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My big question is how Toriumi/Maya represents the Hermit. Like, Fox in P4 has you helping around people with the fox so you act like a support, and Futaba involves helping her get out of her trauma-induced shell and helping her reach her goals. But Toriumi... I guess you let her vent on you and be her online pal so she can open herself up more and do a bit of introspection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
She retreats to a hobby away from the real world and other people where she can express/discover a more authentic side of herself I guess? It's not a very good SLink.