Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

You'll never see a New Japan wrestler on a BAKA Gaijin show. Maybe the back of a pantsless doctor who is suspiciously good at locking in technical submissions, but certainly no New Japan wrestlers!

At least not in the ring, but a very drunk Aussie Open were manning the hardcam one time, I think the show that had Chris Brookes vs Maya Yukihi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Reminder that Drilla did that insane match with a torn tricep

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Getting the Ospreay chant twice :golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Awww jeez man :unsmith:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Like I thought that was pretty cool but NJPW literally can't do garbage without people getting really really injuired

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good show, the ZSJ/Bryan match was a masterpiece, and Fantasticamania starts tomorrow! :woop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Akira cutting a hell of a promo on his intention to become the Jr. Heavyweight Champion.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Akira cutting a hell of a promo on his intention to become the Jr. Heavyweight Champion.

He should absolutely beat SHO for the belt

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

HENARE lives?!?!

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Henare is going to sleep for a week

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is a really, really sweet promo by Ospreay.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sorry Ospreay, I do not trust Callum Newman and his rat face and I doubt I ever will

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
I’m still trying to process the fact that NJPW just put on a Cage of Death when everyone was expecting it to be War Games

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I’m still trying to process the fact that NJPW just put on a Cage of Death when everyone was expecting it to be War Games

Following ZSJ/Danielson with that was insane tonal whiplash. Professional wrestling is the best.

Did anyone see what happened to Henare? The announcers mentioned he had a bad gash on his head but I didn't see what caused it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just getting caught up but god drat ZSJ/Danielson's amazing technical match followed by the most absurdly violent thing I've seen in years. Even the Hangman/Swerve death match didn't go this hard.

Chris Charlton sounds like he legitimately hated that sicko match. I love sicko poo poo but I totally get where he's coming from, it had to have been a personal request by Ospreay as his retirement match or something

And wow Akira is over huge after that match. I don't know what the future of UE is going to be, but I could see Akira getting pushed.

I'm trying to remember anything before the ZSJ/Danielson match... Oh yeah, we had the final Okada/Tana match!! And continuing the SHO/Despe feud!

drat New Japan is good. And here I am choked up watching Ospreay's goodbye

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gedo asking Will if he wants anything special as his farewell match, Will slamming down a pint and screaming “WARGAMES CAGE MATCH” and Gedo trying to figure out if they even have chain link in company storage

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Backstage Danielson admitted he's not the greatest technical wrestler in the world anymore, it's ZSJ

Also said if anywhere else is willing to have it, they've both won in their own company and neither has been by tapout, he's fine with a 2-out-of-3-falls with a submission fall mandatory in a neutral (not AEW or New Japan) company to settle the score for good :getin:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Chris James 2 posted:

Backstage Danielson admitted he's not the greatest technical wrestler in the world anymore, it's ZSJ

Also said if anywhere else is willing to have it, they've both won in their own company and neither has been by tapout, he's fine with a 2-out-of-3-falls with a submission fall mandatory in a neutral (not AEW or New Japan) company to settle the score for good :getin:

:pray:

That would be so good

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

The best part is even counting the previous matches from 15 years ago? They're still even. 3 falls a piece

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Where would you hold that match? Rev Pro?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'd love to see it in All Japan so Nakajima can interrupt the winner and poo poo-talk them for invading the company :rubby:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

fez_machine posted:

Like I thought that was pretty cool but NJPW literally can't do garbage without people getting really really injuired

I said that to my wife. If they want to do gimmick matches they need to dial back how stiff the matches are. It was an insane spectacle and I'm far from the safety police but it was very risky

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I said that to my wife. If they want to do gimmick matches they need to dial back how stiff the matches are. It was an insane spectacle and I'm far from the safety police but it was very risky

There's just a level of inexperience that makes serious injury more likely. Jun Kasai can do many hardcore matches with the worst result being scars because he's done hundreds and is supported by a crew that knows what to look out for and how to construct the right environment.

I wouldn't be surprised if the prevailing institutional mindset of the majority of non-wrestler staff (and a not insignificant amount of wrestling staff) feel like hardcore/death match stuff is beneath them and so have never paid attention to how one is done safely.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lamo they dubbed over High Energy do they no longer have the rights?

Still as much as I love High Energy Go Ace is just better

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wait is Go Ace not Tana's song? Lol

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I was fine with almost everything until the wobbly floor boards, that was just an accident waiting to happen. Some of the chair tosses were a bit iffy too.

Count Thrashula posted:

Wait is Go Ace not Tana's song? Lol

He adopted Go Ace a while back. I guess they used his older theme to reflect his history with Okada. Go Ace took some getting used to but now I prefer it to High Energy.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
read the tights and listen to the loving song

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

People on twitter are taking Coughlin giving the thank you sign in lieu of a promo last night to mean he's on the way out as well, rather than just saying goodbye to Ospreay as a heel

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Losing Coughlin too would suck but Gabe Kidd is the future star so if he's still around that's all that matters

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Losing Coughlin too would suck but Gabe Kidd is the future star so if he's still around that's all that matters

Yeah I'd like them both to stick around but Kidd is the priority.

This made me wonder - do we know what's up with the LA Dojo/NJPW Academy? Kevin Knight might be the last trainee I remember in the Young Lion mold. Viva Van and Trish Adora have been mentioned as trainees but without regular STRONG shows it's tough to keep track.

Seems like it may have transitioned from a dojo model to a more typical wrestling school which has pros and cons.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

DEFY in Seattle; Danielson has wanted to work there for ages

(I can’t afford another flight to Totally Normal Island please let me have this)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Guys I'm so pumped about Fantastica Mania

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Guessing Finlay is having a singles match at the show, else one of the other War Dogs is getting snubbed

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1756860675245371618

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Fantasticamania opener in a little under an hour. The next streamed show isn't until Friday

NJPW presents CMLL Fantasticamania
Edion Arena #2
February 12th at 4:00 EDT/9:00 GMT

DOUKI and Difunto vs. Bullet Club (Gedo and Taiji Ishimori)
Match Relampago:Tiger Mask vs. Magnus
Stigma, Despe, Brilante Jr. and Taguchi vs. L.I.J (Titán, Naito, Kamaitachi, and Bushi)
Honma, Dark Panther, and Pegasso vs. Okumura, YOH, and Strong Machine J
Volador Jr, Atlantis jr, and Templario vs. Hechicero, Rocky Romero, and Soberano Jr.
Mistico, Mascara Dorada, and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Ultimo Guerrero, Stuka Jr, and Francesco Akira

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oh and this isnt on the official us site yet but

https://x.com/TheChrisSamsa/status/1756908513324863743?s=20

kidna anticlimatic but at least no more damage is being done as he clearly isnt putting anyone over

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Nice of him to team with CHAOS (and some other guy) one last time

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
VERY stoked for the return of Kamaitachi today, the top two matches on this card could be amazing too depending on how far into vacation mode everyone is.

SG Bamboo posted:

People on twitter are taking Coughlin giving the thank you sign in lieu of a promo last night to mean he's on the way out as well, rather than just saying goodbye to Ospreay as a heel

Didn't he give an extremely disgruntled speech at the g1 press conference last year? it could be totally kayfabe but was pretty specific about the sacrifices he'd made for the company during covid and then when the time came they wouldn't comp him a single t-shirt to give to his family and all that.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

We are live

Taiji Ishimori is out, to be replaced with Bone Soldier Jr

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
the return of bone soldier, junior that is. now we just need the return of Namajague...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

(in a very high pitched voice): FANTASICAMANIAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!