Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

RCP bitch. I said I was giving an anecdote about my friends who are literally addicted to it in their own words and cannot stop themselves from reinstalling the app and ordering more food when they're depressed or whatever even though they know it's a waste of time and money

they even uninstalled one app and ended up installing, setting up, and ordering from a different one while reasoning it wasn't the same thing lol. it's exactly like gambling addictions to them

There’s something deeper going on with your friend than the ap buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can understand if someone doesn't feel like they can afford takeout but they keep doing it each night because it's easier than cooking but I don't think that in itself would really be an "addiction" even if they describe it that way.

On the other hand, if they're actually just sitting there ordering 10 different takeout meals that they aren't going to be able to eat in an hour because they're getting a dopamine hit from that or something then I guess that would be an actual addiction and they have issues but I don't think that describes 99.99% of people ordering food for delivery.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I eat fast food (of course) but I haven't ordered anything through an app in months: I just walk to the place. The fastest I've ever done it was dinner at a Panda Express in the 45 minutes I had between meetings: 10 minutes to get there, 15 mins to eat, 10 mins back.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This poo poo is straight is illegal in every state and federally but for some reason we just can’t stop people from turning their automobiles into a mobile monument to spite, wonder why that is

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I saw a Marin Four Corners at the local bike shop today and I just stopped and stared and gawked for a while

One day...

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I saw a Marin Four Corners at the local bike shop today and I just stopped and stared and gawked for a while

One day...

lol we're reinventing the 1980s/1990s touring bike via a ten year detour through bikepacking.

Also

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This is common outside of the suburbs

Yeah I was making a little joke!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Jokerishly: Do you want to know how I got these cars?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The car manufacturer GWM based in China have car models named Tank 300 (midsize, 4.8 m length, 2300 kg) and Tank 500 (midsize, 5 m length, 2500 kg).

They have upcoming models named Tank 700 and Tank 800.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tankies!!!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Weka posted:

Jokerishly: Do you want to know how I got these cars?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

california crowds celebrating lunar new year filled a waymo cab with fireworks and immolated it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

my bony fealty posted:

I can understand ordering from a local place that doesn't have delivery otherwise for dinner or whatever but lmao at Doordashing McDonalds

Yup. Absolutely insane lmao

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/Gia_Vang/status/1756569968265847043
https://x.com/EmilyKerr36/status/1749014808295264500?s=20

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
In a previous apartment my downstairs neighbor was a gamer who I could hear clearly through the floor playing from 11 am till about 11 pm, 7 days a week. He would constantly have fast food delivered and it would sit in front of his door for over an hour at times. I can’t imagine what his apartment looked like.

Car related I witnessed a grandma give double middle fingers to a driver that felt she and her family were far enough through the crosswalk to keep driving. They weren’t, the car practically clipped their heels.

Same crosswalk I stopped to let a jogger cross but opposite side traffic refused to stop so I sat there with cars piling up behind me. The jogger finally got fed up and basically stepped in front of oncoming traffic with her hands up begging them to stop.

I hate cars/drivers.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my favorite as a pedestrian is when you go to one of the crosswalks that has a button that turns on the flashing lights and watch as cars approach, look at you and slow down, and then speed up and blast through

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

drivers blow through (or try to…) train crossings all the time. lol at expecting them to stop for pedestrians.

Apr 7, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

my favorite as a pedestrian is when you go to one of the crosswalks that has a button that turns on the flashing lights and watch as cars approach, look at you and slow down, and then speed up and blast through

I saw someone nearly get run over at one of these, guy hit the beg button and started crossing and a guy swerved around the stopped truck in the right lane and blasted through. Missed him by two feet.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
there's one of those crossings about 500 feet from my place, installed to be used by high school students to cross a busy at time four lane road. I cross there on my bike during non-rush hour times and have never bothered to press the button, because that will only cause confusion to the karens in their SUVs and angry dudes leaving their custody hearings in their brodozers. It's just best practices with American drivers to let them blast through any area where pedestrians want to cross. I went to a wedding in a small town in Poland and at the only busy intersection in town, every single car would stop on a dime to let anyone cross. I had tears in my eyes.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ferdinand Bardamu posted:

every single car would stop on a dime to let anyone cross. I had tears in my eyes.

This is generally driver culture in Portland, too. Only US city that’s not a tourist destination I’ve ever seen it happen so regularly in. But it actually makes it more dangerous because the one in ten or so drivers that don’t observe the local culture (usually Washington plates) cause havoc on the pedestrians who think they should be able to cross unhit

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This is generally driver culture in Portland, too. Only US city that’s not a tourist destination I’ve ever seen it happen so regularly in. But it actually makes it more dangerous because the one in ten or so drivers that don’t observe the local culture (usually Washington plates) cause havoc on the pedestrians who think they should be able to cross unhit

The absolute effrontery of those pedestrians

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The only place in the US I've been where drivers unfailingly stopped for pedestrians was Great Barrington, MA. Could it be true that small town New England has the kindest drivers?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Real hurthling! posted:

california crowds celebrating lunar new year filled a waymo cab with fireworks and immolated it.

They understood that there was something older than wisdom, and it was fire, and something truer than words, and it was ashes

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Just like those islands that until the 19th century had birds on them that had never seen cats, rats, or humans. We don't have names for the birds because of course there are zero of them left.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Critical support for the people of San Francisco and their nascent Butlerian Jihad

ClassActionFursuit posted:

Just like those islands that until the 19th century had birds on them that had never seen cats, rats, or humans. We don't have names for the birds because of course there are zero of them left.

Is this really a thing? Closest I can think of is some Antarctic islands discovered in the late 18th century, but afaik they didn't have any flightless non-swimming birds, which is mostly what gets wiped out like this because they are locally confined.

raggedphoto posted:

I hate cars/drivers.

Do you hate other entire groups of people because of the actions of some of their members?

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

The car manufacturer GWM based in China have car models named Tank 300 (midsize, 4.8 m length, 2300 kg) and Tank 500 (midsize, 5 m length, 2500 kg).

They have upcoming models named Tank 700 and Tank 800.

Here's my review: too heavy, no diesel option. This is a town car for wankers which looks somewhat like an SUV.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's ugly and hravy amf that's ehat drivers want

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weka posted:

Is this really a thing? Closest I can think of is some Antarctic islands discovered in the late 18th century, but afaik they didn't have any flightless non-swimming birds, which is mostly what gets wiped out like this because they are locally confined.

Lyall’s wren almost made it to the twentieth.

e: The Chatham rail is another example.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Feb 11, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

spiritual bypass posted:

it's ugly and hravy amf that's ehat drivers want

drivers like cars that are like them

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This hasn’t been Portland for about 10 years now in my experience. I use to literally have the “no you go” stand off when I first moved here but drivers have progressively gotten more and more rude. Don’t get me wrong I love Portland but the small city vibe is gone for me.

Weka posted:

Do you hate other entire groups of people because of the actions of some of their members?

wow, way to call me out.. good for you.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Weka posted:

feeling genocidal against nebbish dweebs after reading this post

Weka
May 5, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Lyall’s wren almost made it to the twentieth.

e: The Chatham rail is another example.

NZ had both rats and people much earlier than the 19th century. So did the Chatams.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there was a dodge charger (lol) behind me, and those red lights you see are actually animated, going back in forth

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weka
May 5, 2019

raggedphoto posted:

Thank you. Will be happy to keep doing it when you talk about hating billions of people.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

raggedphoto posted:

This hasn’t been Portland for about 10 years now in my experience. I use to literally have the “no you go” stand off when I first moved here but drivers have progressively gotten more and more rude. Don’t get me wrong I love Portland but the small city vibe is gone for me.

Neighborhood dependent for sure, and good luck on broadway or sandy or 82nd or the like, but it’s still mostly my experience when on foot, even crossing big streets like mlk, but yeah it’s definitely not as reliable as it used to be and pedestrian fatalities are at all time highs

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

shut the gently caress up weka

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

there was a dodge charger (lol) behind me, and those red lights you see are actually animated, going back in forth

Did it talk with Mr. Feeny's voice?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
It's AJ's area, so it says "OPE!" when you inevitably get rear ended by it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

one of the best runners of all time and current marathon record holder died in a car accident

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-12/world-marathon-record-holder-kelvin-kiptum-dead/103454892

gently caress!

Weka
May 5, 2019

Sphyre posted:

shut the gently caress up weka

Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Honky Mao posted:

I love my car I drive it nice and safe and never killed nobody :)
It's ok, barely 40 thousand people get it wrong every year