Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

insulting religion is great actually. like lmao there's people who actually believe there's magical spirits that'll slow cook them like a 7-11 hotdog for eternity because they jacked off once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

someone that's not some guy tt please confirm this happens in season 3

the danny mcbride formula has always been "take a character who is near unredeemable and make them likeable" lol Vice Principals starts with them hate criming a woman and then escalating from there and by the end you're still like "hell yeah right on Gamby"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

the bear s2 wasnt as good as s1, but i still liked it, the christmas ep was extremely good, and i stan ayo

but lol at the whole "if anything is off by 10 seconds in any restaurant it causes cascading slowdowns and the whole system falls apart" like just hire literally one more than the absolute bare minimum number of employees lol

man what a crazy way to run a restaurant sure is a good thing we dont run our entire sociopolitical system like this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is about a con-man so he's actually not doing redface, but he ends up getting accepted by the tribe because he raised awareness for reservation issues

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Whirling posted:

insulting religion is great actually. like lmao there's people who actually believe there's magical spirits that'll slow cook them like a 7-11 hotdog for eternity because they jacked off once

When you definitely understand what you're talking about.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
ya gotta JO six times to activate the hot dog roller idiot

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Whirling posted:

but also lol that there are ppl who think they're going to get reborn as a duck

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
if you JO even once the possibility of duckdom is virtually zero.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

War and Pieces posted:

but also lol that there are ppl who think they're going to get reborn as a duck

shinto is the only respectable religion because they just assume that everything has a spirit but its no big deal, you get free holidays out of it, and you can just do whatever apart from maybe not go to a shrine if somebody near you dies. beats having to talk to a very old man every week and tell him that you saw a boob and liked it so he can forgive you for it so god doesn't cast Disintegrate on you in the afterlife

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Jewish afterlife lore is officially "I dunno, don't overthink it"

All this "people you don't like will be tortured by demons until long after the heat death of the universe" poo poo started with Christians, don't blame us

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Whirling posted:

shinto is the only respectable religion because they just assume that everything has a spirit but its no big deal, you get free holidays out of it, and you can just do whatever apart from maybe not go to a shrine if somebody near you dies. beats having to talk to a very old man every week and tell him that you saw a boob and liked it so he can forgive you for it so god doesn't cast Disintegrate on you in the afterlife

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

she is the greatest character of 恐怖の世界, a game that proves the power of shinto

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Whirling posted:

yeah those idiots don't get correlation =/= causation!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Whirling posted:

The Kojiki, translated by Basil Hall Chamberlain, SECT. IX.—THE LAND OF HADES

Thereupon, His Augustness the Male Who-Invites, wishing to meet and see his younger sister, Her Augustness the Female-Who-Invites, followed after her to the Land of Hades. So when she raised the door from the palace and came out to meet him, His Augustness the Male-Who-Invites spoke, saying: "Thine Augustness my lovely younger sister! The lands that I and thou have made are not yet finished; so come back!" Then, Her Augustness the Female-Who-Invites answered, saying:

"Lamentable indeed that thou camest not sooner! I have eaten of the furnace of Hades. Nevertheless, as I reverence the entry here of Thine Augustness my lovely elder brother, I wish to return. Moreover, I will discuss it particularly with the Deities of Hades. Look not at me!"

Having thus spoken, she went back inside the palace; and as she tarried there very long, he could not wait. So having taken and broken off one of the end-teeth of the multitudinous and close-toothed comb stuck in the august left bunch of his hair, he lit one light and went in and looked. Maggots were swarming, and she was rotting, and in her head dwelt the Great-Thunder, in her breast dwelt the Fire-Thunder, in her left hand dwelt the Young-Thunder, in her right hand dwelt the Earth-Thunder, in her left foot dwelt the Rumbling-Thunder, in her right foot dwelt the Couchant-Thunder—altogether eight Thunder-Deities had been born and dwelt there. Hereupon, His Augustness the Male-Who-Invites, overawed at the sight, fled back, whereupon his younger sister, Her Augustness the Female-Who-Invites, said: "Thou hast put me to shame," and at once sent the Ugly-Female-of-Hades to pursue him. So His Augustness the Male-Who-Invites took his black august head-dress and cast it down, and it instantly turned into grapes. While she picked them up and ate them, he fled on; but as she still pursued him, he took and broke the multitudinous and close-toothed comb in the right bunch of his hair and cast it down, and it instantly turned into bamboo-sprouts. While she pulled them up and ate them, he fled on. Again later, his younger sister sent the eight Thunder-Deities with a thousand and five hundred warriors of Hades to pursue him. So he, drawing the ten-grasp sabre that was augustly girded on him, fled forward brandishing it in his back hand; and as they still pursued, he took, on reaching the base of the Even Pass of Hades, three peaches that were growing at its base, and waited and smote his pursuers therewith, so that they all fled back. Then His Augustness the Male-Who-Invites announced to the peaches: "Like as ye have helped me, so must ye help all living people in the Central Land of Reed-Plains when they shall fall into troublous circumstances and be harassed!"—and he gave to the peaches the designation of Their Augustnesses Great-Divine-Fruit. Last of all, his younger sister, Her Augustness the Princess-Who-Invites, came out herself in pursuit. So he drew a thousand-draught rock, and with it blocked up the Even Pass of Hades, and placed the rock in the middle; and they stood opposite to one another and exchanged leave-takings; and Her Augustness the Female-Who-Invites said: "My lovely elder brother, thine Augustness! If thou do like this, I will in one day strangle to death a thousand of the folks of thy land." Then His Augustness the Male-Who-Invites replied: "My lovely younger sister, Thine Augustness! If thou do this, I will in one day set up a thousand and five hundred parturition-houses. In this manner, each day a thousand people would surely be born." So Her Augustness the Female-Who-Invites is called the Great-Deity-of-Hades. Again it is said that, owing to her having pursued and reached her elder brother, she is called the Road-Reaching-Great-Deity. Again, the rock with which he blocked up the Pass of Hades is called the Great-Deity-of-the-Road-Turning-back, and again it is called the Blocking-Great-Deity-of-the-Door-of-Hades. So what was called the Even-Pass-of-Hades is now called the Ifuya-Pass in the Land of Idzumo.

NOTE: The characters in the original which are here rendered Hades are 黄泉, lit. "Yellow Stream," a Chinese name for the Underworld to which a remark of Mencius and a story in the "Tso Chuan" appear to have given rise. They here represent the Japanese word Yomo or Yomi, which we find phonetically written with the characters in the name of Yomo-tsu-shiko-me a little further on, and which is defined by Motowori as "an underworld,.... the habitation of the dead,.... the land whither, when they die, go all men, whether noble or mean, virtuous or wicked." The orthodox Japanese derivation of Yomi is from Yoru, "night," which would give us for Yomo-tsu-kuni some such rendering as "the Land of Gloom." A suggestion quoted by Arawi Hakuseki ("Tōga," art. Idzumi) that the word may really be but a mispronunciation of Yama, the Sanscrit name of the Buddhist god of hell, is however worthy of consideration; but it seems best on the whole to translate Yomi or Yomo by "Hades," a term which is itself of uncertain derivation, and the signification attached to which closely resembles the Japanese Shintō notion of the world beyond, or rather beneath, the grave.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

lmao this dude is translating Izanagi and Izanami in such a dumb way, its like translating Akira Kurosawa as "Black-Swamp-Bright"

like you wouldn't translate "Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov" as "Peaceful-Ruler Lord-is-my-God Son-of-Youth", I don't get why dudes used to translate Chinese and Japanese names like that back in the day

Whirling has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Feb 11, 2024

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This might sound like a my_little_pony_at_auschwitz.jpg type post, but the pure absurdity of eternal punishment didn't get through to me until I played Baldurs Gate 3

There's a part where you bust into a demon's house and meet some of the people whose souls he owns, and one guy is like "I sold my soul to feed my starving family. That was like 1600 years ago and now I don't even remember their faces." Like, the vast, VAST majority of his lived experience was torment over a deal he made during his comparatively tiny physical life.

Imagine it's 2 billion years from now, Earth's sun has long since exploded, and you're still being punished for practicing the slightly wrong flavor of Christianity when you were alive for 37 years, so long ago you can't remember your own given name. Ridiculous concept

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

loquacius posted:

This might sound like a my_little_pony_at_auschwitz.jpg type post, but the pure absurdity of eternal punishment didn't get through to me until I played Baldurs Gate 3

There's a part where you bust into a demon's house and meet some of the people whose souls he owns, and one guy is like "I sold my soul to feed my starving family. That was like 1600 years ago and now I don't even remember their faces." Like, the vast, VAST majority of his lived experience was torment over a deal he made during his comparatively tiny physical life.

Imagine it's 2 billion years from now, Earth's sun has long since exploded, and you're still being punished for practicing the slightly wrong flavor of Christianity when you were alive for 37 years, so long ago you can't remember your own given name. Ridiculous concept

Roko’s Basilisk is just a slightly dumber version of that concept. Every techbro is trying to fill a Jesus-shaped hole in their heart and they can’t even be creative about it

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

i remember reading that story about david collecting 200 philistine foreskins like he was fulfilling the requirements of a mmo quest when i was young because my church was talking about david and i got so confused

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Whirling posted:

i remember reading that story about david collecting 200 philistine foreskins like he was fulfilling the requirements of a mmo quest when i was young because my church was talking about david and i got so confused

“David, David, oh my god, I meant to say wineskin. Please tell me you didn’t”

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Whirling posted:

lmao this dude is translating Izanagi and Izanami in such a dumb way, its like translating Akira Kurosawa as "Black-Swamp-Bright"

like you wouldn't translate "Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov" as "Peaceful-Ruler Lord-is-my-God Son-of-Youth", I don't get why dudes used to translate Chinese and Japanese names like that back in the day

I miss it, wish we went back to that. Just so cool

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

“David, David, oh my god, I meant to say wineskin. Please tell me you didn’t”

a donkey's jawbone is a grey-tier weapon so he's not the greatest MMOer

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

*Simpsons guy in toilet stall voice* That's Samson, ya idiot!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress i don't remember that as part of david's biography. i'm such a bad church kid

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

made something stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwIwVplfRbs

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

loquacius posted:

This might sound like a my_little_pony_at_auschwitz.jpg type post

It does.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

The Jewish afterlife lore is officially "I dunno, don't overthink it"

All this "people you don't like will be tortured by demons until long after the heat death of the universe" poo poo started with Christians, don't blame us
christians are a jewish sect, just like muslims and mormons

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mormons do not believe in the God of Abraham.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

here we go

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

loquacius posted:

same but for heaven rewarding you eternally

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Man just skipped every cutscene and started swinging at the first thing that moved

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Virgin King David button-masher vs. chad King Solomon meta-breaker

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

christians are a jewish sect, just like muslims and mormons

Christianity is to Judaism as Mork & Mindy is to Happy Days.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Protestants are Mork & Mindy fan fiction writers.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
catholicism is the mork and mindy fan wiki

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Nichael posted:

Christianity is to Judaism as Mork & Mindy is to Happy Days.

alternatively, its like Laverne and Shirley where judaism is the seasons where theyre at the brewery and christianity is the seasons where theyre in california

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

most arguments about faith can be summarized as Garry Marshall properties, really

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now do the yellowstone spinoffs

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

eternal punishment was always a video game tier plot device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

eternal punishment was always a video game tier plot device