Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, so this is what we call a 'strawman'. No one is proposing this. They're saying you ought to vote for Joe Biden in the 2024 general election, just that one particular vote.

What are we supposed to expect to change in the next four years that is different from the past several election cycles?

Trump is a particularly inept figurehead who has said the quiet part out loud and blundered into plenty of devastating actions, but the groundwork for this has been laid for the past several decades. MAGA is the rule rather than the exception among the only realistic alternative party. Even once Trump goes, there will be the Trump kids, or the Millers, or the many other grifters and sycophants who eager to take the reins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lemming posted:

From https://www.c-span.org/video/?531245-1/presidential-candidates-speak-republican-jewish-coalition-conference

It's difficult to copy and paste the text, so here's a screenshot:

"If you spill a drop of American blood, we will spill a gallon of yours. We are doing that because we want to start peace. We will start wars. The wars have to be finished often times before the peace. If you don't do the wars the peace will not happen. If you aren't tough and ruthless like they are it will not happen."

This sounds like obviously substantially worse.

Yes, this. And he keeps promising war over and over. American war with Gaza. So yes, he can do more to genocide Gaza than Biden has.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

Give the thread title and the Super Bowl tonight, wouldn't Nuffle be the most applicable chaos god instead of one of the lesser four?

Also given the two candidate's ages, I wonder what the parties would do if one or both pass away before the election. Guess we could have Kamala v whoever trump pics at VP

If it's after their respective conventions, I think that's the only available option basically.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kchama posted:

That's cool that you're fine with it, but it's still hardcore antisemitism. It's not going to solve anything, especially not branding it on people they clearly think are Jews.

And it's cool that you're mad about it, but nobody is going to get permabanned and I think most people here are going to contextualize it differently.

Also, if you're mad at people conflating Israel with Jews, you should be mad at Israel for screaming from the rooftops that that they're doing this in the name of Jews everywhere. You're technically correct, and we all know you're correct, but pithy slogans are more useful than correctness when doing propaganda.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Raiad posted:

What are we supposed to expect to change in the next four years that is different from the past several election cycles?

Trump is a particularly inept figurehead who has said the quiet part out loud and blundered into plenty of devastating actions, but the groundwork for this has been laid for the past several decades. MAGA is the rule rather than the exception among the only realistic alternative party. Even once Trump goes, there will be the Trump kids, or the Millers, or the many other grifters and sycophants who eager to take the reins.

Well, for one thing, Joe Biden won't be running again. You can be certain it won't be him winning the Democratic nomination in 2028, and you can be fairly certain it will be someone younger than him. You might even be able to influence who that person is through the primary process.

If the person you choose is successful enough to strike the Republicans a resounding defeat, then the GOP might decide to change ideological tack a bit for the elections of 2030 and beyond. You know, as much as they like MAGA I'd bet they like actually being able to win elections even more. I don't think we will end up with a real alternative choice anytime soon, but we might end up with something that doesn't make us go "holy poo poo, this is an existential threat that absolutely must be voted against." Is that likely? I don't know, but I like the chances a lot better than what I get if I let Trump win.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

KillHour posted:

And it's cool that you're mad about it, but nobody is going to get permabanned and I think most people here are going to contextualize it differently.

Also, if you're mad at people conflating Israel with Jews, you should be mad at Israel for screaming from the rooftops that that they're doing this in the name of Jews everywhere. You're technically correct, and we all know you're correct, but pithy slogans are more useful than correctness when doing propaganda.

"you're technically correct it's hardcore bigotry but hardcore bigotry is more useful"

listen to yourself

also Kchama has repeatedly expressed their disgust over how Israel conflates the two.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

Well, for one thing, Joe Biden won't be running again. You can be certain it won't be him winning the Democratic nomination in 2028, and you can be fairly certain it will be someone younger than him. You might even be able to influence who that person is through the primary process.

If the person you choose is successful enough to strike the Republicans a resounding defeat, then the GOP might decide to change ideological tack a bit for the elections of 2030 and beyond. I don't think we will end up with a real alternative choice anytime soon, but we might end up with something that doesn't make us go "holy poo poo, this is an existential threat that absolutely must be voted against." Is that likely? I don't know, but I like the chances a lot better than what I get if I let Trump win.

Given how the alternative party is full of militia psychopaths willing to die for MAGA in ways that Democrats are unwilling to die for the people they claim to want to protect, this does not seem very likely.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lemming posted:

From https://www.c-span.org/video/?531245-1/presidential-candidates-speak-republican-jewish-coalition-conference

It's difficult to copy and paste the text, so here's a screenshot:

"If you spill a drop of American blood, we will spill a gallon of yours. We are doing that because we want to start peace. We will start wars. The wars have to be finished often times before the peace. If you don't do the wars the peace will not happen. If you aren't tough and ruthless like they are it will not happen."

This sounds like obviously substantially worse.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Those are vague threats, though - they remind me of Trump promising to kill all of ISIS' families, something that he didn't follow through on. It's a bloodthirsty and insane post, but it's also in-keeping with his long pattern of offering tough talk on foreign policy and then not following through.

...and then Biden cut it off again. The head of UNRWA has admitted that he fired the accused employees without evidence, and Tony Blinken admits that the US hasn't verified Israel's claims. Penalizing an already-underfunded agency aimed at helping keep desperate refugees alive, based on unverified allegations about 12 employees, is pretty hosed up. I don't see how Trump is worse than Biden on this front.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Raiad posted:

Given how the alternative party is full of militia psychopaths willing to die for MAGA in ways that Democrats are unwilling to die for the people they claim to want to protect, this does not seem very likely.
:jerkbag: Maybe not, but this whole conversation started with me asking you to propose any alternative whatsoever to winning the election and you still haven't done that. So, you know, I'll keep doing the best thing I know until you have a proposal that isn't "lay down in the road and die".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

...and then Biden cut it off again. The head of UNRWA has admitted that he fired the accused employees without evidence, and Tony Blinken admits that the US hasn't verified Israel's claims. Penalizing an already-underfunded agency aimed at helping keep desperate refugees alive, based on unverified allegations about 12 employees, is pretty hosed up. I don't see how Trump is worse than Biden on this front.
Yes I know he paused it in response to the accusations. I linked the article about it. Did you review the evidence then to make the claim?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kagrenak posted:

"you're technically correct it's hardcore bigotry but hardcore bigotry is more useful"

listen to yourself

also Kchama has repeatedly expressed their disgust over how Israel conflates the two.

Being angry and being rational are generally not well correlated.

Whoever bought that title was clearly loving pissed. I don't know the exact conversation that led to it, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were probably rightly pissed, given the subject matter. I'm not going to stand in front of someone who is rightly pissed about an ongoing genocide and say "you're lumping in innocent people with the genociders; you should really be more careful."

You're free to, but I don't recommend doing it in person unless you like getting slugged.

Edit: And if they had just said "that should be worded more carefully" I wouldn't have responded in the first place. From context, they told someone they should be permabanned for being mad about a genocide and being overly broad about directing that anger, and didn't even clarify what it was they were taking issue with. That deserved some pushback.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 11, 2024

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes I know he paused it in response to the accusations. I linked the article about it. Did you review the evidence then to make the claim?

There is no evidence to review. Israel has not provided evidence to back up its claims.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

:jerkbag: Maybe not, but this whole conversation started with me asking you to propose any alternative whatsoever to winning the election and you still haven't done that. So, you know, I'll keep doing the best thing I know until you have a proposal that isn't "lay down in the road and die".

I have given you my proposal: the democrats should, given the dire implications of Trump winning the election, consider suspending elections and prevent him from taking office. If we accept that this is possible for Trump, it should be possible for Biden. If the military would have to go along with Trump, it will have to go along with Biden and suppress the violent movements that result from this action. And if we accept that refusal to do something is the same thing as allowing the alternative, the democrats failing to secure their position by any means necessary is the same as empowering Trump to establish his dictatorship.

Again, this is not an ideal option, or even a good one. But it is an option, with a much higher rate of success than relying on irrational and unreliable leftists, and certainly would result in a lesser evil.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Majorian posted:

Thank you, I appreciate it. Those are vague threats, though - they remind me of Trump promising to kill all of ISIS' families, something that he didn't follow through on. It's a bloodthirsty and insane post, but it's also in-keeping with his long pattern of offering tough talk on foreign policy and then not following through.

He followed through on a bunch of awful things, though. Again, he literally assassinated a high level Iranian general in Iraq, and the only reason that didn't escalate is because of Iran's restraint. You can argue you might think he's so thoroughly incompetent that he wouldn't be able to execute, but that's an incredibly weak argument given that he did as president, on a lot of things, like recognizing the capital of Israel as Jerusalem and moving the embassy there.

The arguments that you think Biden is awful enough that you think you can't justify voting for him (not you specifically, just in general) is something I can buy, but it feels like some people making this argument are doing it with the belief that it's more justifiable because they think Trump wouldn't be worse on this topic, so it's more of a moral abstention and they don't think Trump being president would bring greater harm. But that's just flatly unreasonable, we know Trump would definitely do his best to be worse. You can't use a crystal ball to predict the future, exactly, so who knows what specific outcomes there could be, but it's very, very obvious Trump *wants* to be more hosed up and evil than Biden here.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Speaking from experience of living almost half of my life under a literal evil dictatorship before escaping to the US, I vastly prefer voting for a lesser evil to a situation where that's not even an option.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Raiad posted:

There is no guarantee that whoever comes post trump can generate the cult of personality that Trump has in order to get people to enact (more) violence in order to bring in a real autocracy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Failboattootoot posted:

There is no guarantee that whoever comes post trump can generate the cult of personality that Trump has in order to get people to enact (more) violence in order to bring in a real autocracy.

Trump could probably keep his movement together by anointing a successor, but he's not going to do that, because he's Trump

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

KillHour posted:

Whoever bought that title was clearly loving pissed. I don't know the exact conversation that led to it, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were probably rightly pissed, given the subject matter. I'm not going to stand in front of someone who is rightly pissed about an ongoing genocide and say "you're lumping in innocent people with the genociders; you should really be more careful."

Is this your same attitude toward anti-Japanese bigotry during WWII or anti-Muslim/anti-Arab bigotry after 9/11? That those people were rightfully mad about real atrocities, so if they're "lumping in innocent people" too, then :shrug:?

"Lumping in innocent people" with the perpetrators of violent atrocities, either real or imagined - that's how violent bigotry, up to and including genocide, is incited. It is very obviously what we are seeing in Israel right now - there are many parallel Zionist versions of your post saying "yes, many Arabs are not responsible, but the user saying that all their souls belong in hell was very mad about 10/7, so..."

Because it's intellectually easier and politically useful, there's an inevitable human tendency to blame horrible crimes on entire racial or religious cohorts instead of their specific perpetrators. We all know this. What most of us also know is that this is a dangerous and disgusting tendency which civilized people shut down immediately, ideally only with words.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 11, 2024

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

Trump could be worse than Biden on Gaza, but if you're going to make the affirmative claim like this, it would be great if you'd explain why you believe this and what makes you so certain of it. Remember, we're talking about him being worse than Biden, not just "not better than Biden."

Majorian posted:

I think there's an argument to be made that Trump would be worse than Biden in terms of supporting this genocide, but it's a pretty small difference IMO, unfortunately.
What has the point of this whole derail been then? Why are you repeatedly demanding that everyone prove that Trump would be worse, when you yourself seem to think that Trump would be worse?

You brought this up in the context of people claiming that not supporting Biden will not help Gaza because Trump is worse. Why? No one was saying Biden was good on Gaza. The essential point that Biden's defeat would not improve the situation in Gaza, and would likely make things (only slightly?) worse does not appear to be contested. You're just asking people to jump through very specific rhetorical hoops, and I'm not sure what it would prove to you if they did.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I remember the op-eds flying around just after Trump won in 2016 floating the idea that Hilary lost because the Democrats were too protective of trans people's rights, so I'm more than a little skeptical of being used as a rhetorical tool to shame people into voting for Biden.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Doctor Yiff posted:

I remember the op-eds flying around just after Trump won in 2016 floating the idea that Hilary lost because the Democrats were too protective of trans people's rights, so I'm more than a little skeptical of being used as a rhetorical tool to shame people into voting for Biden.

Opeds are meaningless tripe I am unsure why you would base any decision ever based on anything they have said.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Doctor Yiff posted:

Interesting that you think that this time the op-eds would interpret people sitting it out with wanting the party to move left on the issue. Surely THIS time that leftists step back from the process, the establishment will finally listen to our silence.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Majorian posted:

But he did have executive appointments. Some of those appointments held him back from doing greater harm, like General Mattis. Other appointments fed his worst impulses, like Stephen Miller. At the start of 2017, it was a mix of the two. Over the next four years, he would fire those who held him back because he felt they weren't loyal enough to him. So the mix started shifting to loyalists who would indulge his worst policies. It's not unreasonable to believe that Trump's second term would start out full of loyalists that would make his proposals reality.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Raiad posted:

I have given you my proposal: the democrats should, given the dire implications of Trump winning the election, consider suspending elections and prevent him from taking office. If we accept that this is possible for Trump, it should be possible for Biden. If the military would have to go along with Trump, it will have to go along with Biden and suppress the violent movements that result from this action. And if we accept that refusal to do something is the same thing as allowing the alternative, the democrats failing to secure their position by any means necessary is the same as empowering Trump to establish his dictatorship.

Again, this is not an ideal option, or even a good one. But it is an option, with a much higher rate of success than relying on irrational and unreliable leftists, and certainly would result in a lesser evil.
So, again, you should be specific on how the Democrats would prevent Trump from taking office after he's won election because that's not a thing as far as I'm aware. (e: Unless you're saying that they should suspend this year's election in which case, same objection.)

I didn't see anyone say that Trump would suspend elections. He might try, and if he tried he might even be successful. However, elections don't mean you're a functioning democracy - there are numerous authoritarian nations which have sham elections. There are a lot of ways to harm democracy that leave elections in place - take a look at all of the gerrymandering, voter suppression, and organized disinformation efforts that we deal with today. All of these methods need less co-operation from the military than whatever you're imagining but not describing.

Finally, I don't in fact think that the Democrats honoring the result of the election and allowing Trump to take office, knowing he's an rear end in a top hat, because that's what they've promised to do - would be as bad as Trump then saying "hey cool I can be a dictator" and doing whatever he could to undermine democracy. Especially if they can't really do anything about it at that point.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 12, 2024

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Opeds are meaningless tripe I am unsure why you would base any decision ever based on anything they have said.

You know that, and I know that, but the fact remains this was an idea that had some oxygen shortly after the 2016 election, and given that my civil rights have become an even more heated topic, if Biden loses I fully expect a repeat.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

haveblue posted:

Trump could probably keep his movement together by anointing a successor, but he's not going to do that, because he's Trump

He would probably do it for Ivanka if she wanted it, but everything I've seen indicates she wants to stay the hell away from politics and just enjoy being a socialite.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Trump saying he would drop more bombs and kill more civilians than Obama was one of the most visible kept promises of his 2016 campaign. That's even with him trying to cover it up by instructing the US government to stop tracking and publishing civilian casualties.

Seriously here. In 2016 the "Trump is an unknown that could do anything, who are we to say if his victory would be good or bad" was marginally defensible. It was absolutely idiotic even in the moment, let alone hindsight, and without exception it came either from credulous fuckwits with the worst political instincts (in both the moment and in hindsight), or people who fully knew what a Trump victory would entail but wanted it anyway whether for its own sake or merely to own the libs. But it had the thinnest veneer of plausibility and people were expected to entertain it.

In 2024 that veneer is long since stripped away and there is no cover for polishing the rotted particle board and insisting that it could be fine hardwood under there.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Kagrenak posted:

Interesting that you think that this time the op-eds would interpret people sitting it out with wanting the party to move left on the issue. Surely THIS time that leftists step back from the process, the establishment will finally listen to our silence.

I didn't say anything like that, but feel free to yell at the imaginary me if it makes you feel better.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Killer robot posted:

Trump saying he would drop more bombs and kill more civilians than Obama was one of the most visible kept promises of his 2016 campaign. That's even with him trying to cover it up by instructing the US government to stop tracking and publishing civilian casualties.

Seriously here. In 2016 the "Trump is an unknown that could do anything, who are we to say if his victory would be good or bad" was marginally defensible. It was absolutely idiotic even in the moment, let alone hindsight, and without exception it came either from credulous fuckwits with the worst political instincts (in both the moment and in hindsight), or people who fully knew what a Trump victory would entail but wanted it anyway whether for its own sake or merely to own the libs. But it had the thinnest veneer of plausibility and people were expected to entertain it.

In 2024 that veneer is long since stripped away and there is no cover for polishing the rotted particle board and insisting that it could be fine hardwood under there.

This. I know a couple folks who voted for Trump in 2016, largely because they don't pay attention to politics and only looked at the surface layer of each candidate. Neither of those people are planning on voting for Trump in 2024.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

KillHour posted:

Being angry and being rational are generally not well correlated.

You're free to, but I don't recommend doing it in person unless you like getting slugged.

Edit: And if they had just said "that should be worded more carefully" I wouldn't have responded in the first place. From context, they told someone they should be permabanned for being mad about a genocide and being overly broad about directing that anger, and didn't even clarify what it was they were taking issue with. That deserved some pushback.

Who cares if they are pissed? Just because they are mad about evil people doing evil things doesn't mean you shouldn't take it out on innocent people. Even if the evil people are trying to use them as a shield. It just makes everything worse. The person who posted that AV does not just hate Israel, which deserves hatred, but hates all Jews and wishes them dead. Just because you're fine with that doesn't mean it should just be allowed to happen. It is how hardcore bigotry has been perpetuated and made people's lives worse for basically all of history.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Eiba posted:

What has the point of this whole derail been then? Why are you repeatedly demanding that everyone prove that Trump would be worse, when you yourself seem to think that Trump would be worse?

I haven't "demanded" that of everyone; specific posters made the positive claim that Trump would be much, much worse than Biden on Gaza (not just "slightly" or "marginally" worse), and I wanted to learn why they believed that. For example:

Kchama posted:

Because he literally made a bunch of tweets after Oct 7th about how if HE was President he'd have America actively help genocide the Gazans with troops. He wanted a much worse genocide.

Considering he wanted to Just Start Killing Gazans with American troops, I think that's a bit of a clue.

I have no doubt that Trump would be incredibly bloodthirsty with regard to Gaza, and I think he probably would be marginally worse than Biden in purely material terms, ie: what can actually be accomplished that makes people's lives materially worse. But Biden's really, really loving bad on this issue, to the point where, if someone's going to make the claim that Trump would be that much worse, I'd like to at least know why.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 11, 2024

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Never get ready to die. There's never a reason to capitulate to someone coming after your community, and if they want you dead, it should be their problem, not yours. The future is uncertain, but your own dignity is certain, and you should not give it up pre-emptively. We are not alone in these situations - you mentioned your entire community, and the trans community has incredibly strong bonds because of their shared struggle. You are not alone even besides that - trans people came before you and people wanted to wipe them out, but trans people persevered, and you are still here.

Yes, you'd be safer in a blue state. But if you are worried that it still wouldn't be safe enough, and that a fight is inevitable, then it's better to focus on what you can control: Your community, your loved ones, your dignity, and your self-respect.

(Also, the future is really uncertain, things are way to in flux to be like "Yeah, Trump is going to win." You should still get ready to fight for your dignity all the time, though!)

For what it's worth, I appreciated your post. I am not optimistic about whatever the future holds, but I will try to focus on the present and make it as good as I can.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

I haven't "demanded" that of everyone; specific posters made the positive claim that Trump would be much, much worse than Biden on Gaza (not just "slightly" or "marginally" worse), and I wanted to learn why they believed that. For example:
[quote]
I have no doubt that Trump would be incredibly bloodthirsty with regard to Gaza, and I think he probably would be marginally worse than Biden in purely material terms, ie: what can actually be accomplished that makes people's lives materially worse. But Biden's really, really loving bad on this issue, to the point where, if someone's going to make the claim that Trump would be that much worse, I'd like to at least know why.
No, in addition to Kchama, you were responding to this post:

socialsecurity posted:

But Trump would make everything Gaza worse so this analogy doesn't make sense.
You are now saying you explicitly agree with this premise.

Why did you ask this person to explain the specific ways in which Trump would be worse?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

"Trump would make everything worse in Gaza" is a strong-but-vague claim. I wanted to know what Kchama's logic was in making that claim, given how badly I feel Biden has handled the situation, and to what degree they thought Trump would make things worse. I asked Kchama and socialsecurity because they were the ones making the claim most directly. (that I saw, anyway)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 11, 2024

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

MonsieurChoc posted:

At worst Trump will be as bad on Gaza as Biden, while most likely he'd gently caress it up.

He already floated the idea to make the aid payments to Israel loans, which would be very bad longterm for the genocidal apartheid state.

But the reality is that if you want to elect someone that isn't a genocidal racist rapist you gotta find a way to make a third-party run work, because right now Biden and Trump are all those things.

We all know the “loans” he floated while on adderal and Big Macs would only apply to “poo poo hole” countries and enemies of Russia, Israel would absolutely not be offered those terms

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Majorian posted:

I have no doubt that Trump would be incredibly bloodthirsty with regard to Gaza, and I think he probably would be marginally worse than Biden. But Biden's really, really loving bad on this issue, to the point where, if someone's going to make the claim that Trump would be that much worse, I'd like to at least know why.

Look, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that Trump is uniquely terrible, and from that, terrible poo poo follows. Especially when he's flagrantly Islamophobic. There's tons of heinous poo poo that he's done and promised to do regarding Palestine and the ME:

1. Trump rescinded aid to Palestine and promised to do so again. Biden not only reinstated it but added 50% to it.

2. Trump promised to deport Palestinians who protest the war.

3. Trump promised to reinstate the Muslim Ban and add Palestinians to that list. This will obviously affect those fleeing the war and the Palestinian families already here who still have family back home.

4. Trump had a 5x rate of yearly drone strikes compared to Obama and exceeded Obama's drone strikes in his first two years in office while Biden almost completely stopped them.

5. Trump assassinated Soleimani and we should be thankful that COVID and restraint allowed Iran not to escalate the situation further.

We can go on like this for a long time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Majorian posted:

Biden is bad in the way that the standard American approach towards the situation has been bad for decades; I can't think of anything in particular he's specifically done that's out of line with what any other American president would have done (to be clear - this is a hideous indictment of American policy and the actions of previous presidents, specifically). Trump pushed the boundaries of awfulness in ways that were noxious to even those standards

I feel like this kind of pushback would make a lot more sense if there was anyone arguing that Biden is doing anything that's good. The strongest defense I've seen is assertions that this awfulness is what the American public wants and he'll get more votes this way, which is less of a defense and more just an explanation. I don't even think it's necessarily wrong, because Americans are really loving awful on this topic

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I think one difference which hasn't been explored is that Trump would correctly see the war as politically advantageous to him and want it to go on. It's a war where the "good guys" are right-wingers beloved by evangelical Christians and the "bad guys" are all Arab and generally Muslim. Basically all of Trump's base is energized by it and it scares independents/swing voters into wanting the party they see as stronger on foreign policy (generally the Republicans)

Biden, I think, correctly sees the war as a political liability that in an ideal world would never take place/conclude asap - he's too ideologically committed to Israel, or afraid of his party's pro-Israel wing, to go very far here. But he knows that the war makes him look bad particularly among people who voted for him in 2020 - (both anti-Zionists and left-wing-except-for-Israel Jews). He wants to see the war ended but first Hamas has dismantled, and all hostages returned, etc.

For this reason I think there are many potential peace deals that Biden would pressure Israel to accept and Trump would pressure Israel to reject.

Also, Biden has not (afaik) used the diplomatic crisis as a pretext to directly antagonize Iran, while Trump, who antagonized Iran throughout his prior administration, would absolutely be doing so now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can the Biden electoralism get its own thread already so other people can post about the lady who shot up a megachurch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I don't think anyone here is going to deny that Trump was a terrible president. "Uniquely terrible," though? That's the part that seems like hyperbole to me. Considering the GWB, Obama, and Biden Admin's policies towards the broader MENA region, his foreign policy was unfortunately pretty in line with the trend: GWB had Iraq and Afghanistan and everything else, Obama had Libya, Trump had his drone war, etc. Trump's rhetoric is certainly more inflammatory than his predecessors' or successor's, but in material terms there doesn't seem to have been much that was "unique" about this part of his foreign policy.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think one difference which hasn't been explored is that Trump would correctly see the war as politically advantageous to him and want it to go on. It's a war where the "good guys" are right-wingers beloved by evangelical Christians and the "bad guys" are all Arab and generally Muslim. Basically all of Trump's base is energized by it and it scares independents/swing voters into wanting the party they see as stronger on foreign policy (generally the Republicans)

Biden, I think, correctly sees the war as a political liability that in an ideal world would never take place/conclude asap - he's too ideologically committed to Israel, or afraid of his party's pro-Israel wing, to go very far here. But he knows that the war makes him look bad particularly among people who voted for him in 2020 - (both anti-Zionists and left-wing-except-for-Israel Jews). He wants to see the war ended but first Hamas has dismantled, and all hostages returned, etc.

For this reason I think there are many potential peace deals that Biden would pressure Israel to accept and Trump would pressure Israel to reject.

Also, Biden has not (afaik) used the diplomatic crisis as a pretext to directly antagonize Iran, while Trump, who antagonized Iran throughout his prior administration, would absolutely be doing so now.

This, I think, is a much stronger argument, and one that I largely agree with. I'm not sure Biden realizes quite how badly the war is making him look with a lot of his base, but I'm hoping he wises up quickly and calls for a ceasefire.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)