Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

from the godwananian river to the tethys sea

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it would actually be really funny if the US made a big deal of saying you should always say "United States of America" no matter what language you're speaking

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Guavanaut posted:

Rûm, surely?

I'll have mine in coke, thanks.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

All I'm saying is if "Türkiye" somehow sticks in English, then I'm also calling the bird that.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Incredible Shrinking Pangaea.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Badger of Basra posted:

it would actually be really funny if the US made a big deal of saying you should always say "United States of America" no matter what language you're speaking

What is the name of the citizens of USA?, they call themselves "americans", but thats the name of the continent. It would be like chinese where calling themselves "Asians".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

USAsians.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tei posted:

What is the name of the citizens of USA?, they call themselves "americans", but thats the name of the continent. It would be like chinese where calling themselves "Asians".

Americans is short for "United States of America"ns. It's fine.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tei posted:

it's "americans"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Is not that confusing?, Cubans, Argentinians, Mexicans, Canadian, are also americans.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I remember reading The Onion's Our Big Dumb World (which is great by the way), and the section for the Central African Republic mostly involved making fun of its generic name. I was like bitch, you come from the United States of America, glass houses

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
AmeriKKKans

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tei posted:

Is not that confusing?, Cubans, Argentinians, Mexicans, Canadian, are also americans.

I've never seen a context where it's ambiguous whether you're referring to a single country or to two continents at the same time. Referring to individual continents is easy because of the words "north" and "south". I guess some places refer to the whole thing as one continent, in which case it could maybe come up? But I think that tends to be outside of english-speaking cases -- they can use some other word for the US demonym in their language probably.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 11, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

Everyone was successfully converted to using Kyiv instead of Kiev but now it's time for the next stage: Київ

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tei posted:

People from the United Mexican States are Mexicans. People from the United States of America are Americans. Not sure what more there is to get.

People from a hypothetical United States of Asia could call themselves Asians. Don't know what else they'd be called.

I wouldn't be bothered if people from the European Union called themselves Europeans, even if the Swiss aren't part of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

mobby_6kl posted:

Everyone was successfully converted to using Kyiv instead of Kiev but now it's time for the next stage: Київ

I just say Kænugarður as is good and proper.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tei posted:

when was the last time you wanted to refer to all people from the entire Americas

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I always liked "Usanian".

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
There are options in Latin America if you want to avoid using "americans" for the people from that one country. Norteamericanos (lazy, because Canadians and Mexicans are also norteamericanos), ianques, estadounidenses...

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Powered Descent posted:

I always liked "Usanian".

USAsian is easier to pronounce. Though I have only ever heard it from people who dislike them.

Ami is also popular among older Germans. I even heard some Germans of south American descent end up using American for their parents and Ami for the US peeps.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
I guess the word is yankees

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yankee is ideal because it's an exonym even within its reference point

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We say "Kani".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tei posted:

I get what you are going for but in real life, I was brought up calling myself US or US-american and especially now living in a country where nearly nobody speaks english or spanish, I try to make it clear

And yet everyone calls me amyerikanskiy or amerikandyq. I was american in Canada. I was américain in France. I’m the only motherfucker who cares. It’s almost as if everyone knows context.

E: hate to hand it to opposite America but the best word is seppo

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 11, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah...I think it's standard practice almost everywhere to refer to people from the United States as 'Americans'. Apologies to everyone else from the Americas. I do usually say 'United States' rather than 'America', and this is reasonably common where I live.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

It's a thing only other americans (as in from the continent) care about, and even then really just latin americans, and even then really just leftists.

Personally i use "estadounidenses" in portuguese and "US people" in english, but most people in Brazil say americanos.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Frionnel posted:

It's a thing only other americans (as in from the continent) care about, and even then really just latin americans, and even then really just leftists.

Personally i use "estadounidenses" in portuguese and "US people" in english, but most people in Brazil say americanos.

lmao really

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Not gonna give you gringos the satisfaction :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Us people, or as I like to say, we.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tei posted:

I guess the word is yankees

if you want to start a fight

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been watching the classic 1960's Twilight Zone and there's an episode where a flight to NYC is sent back in time to dinosaur times. They arrived in the Hudson river estuary and could see every NYC area landform and landmark but there just wasn't a city there. It's amazing how "new" the idea of plate tectonics is. They really didn't know that the landforms would be totally unrecognizable millions of years ago.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
"seppos"

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Most people around my parts call America (US) 'jenkkilä'. Much to the delight of one American friend who moved here from Texas. Safe to say that his reactions everytime when that exonym is used only increases the usage in my friend circle, especially when drinking. But I think it is warranted, he calls me a Finn after all even if he knows perfectly well that I'm not Sami!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
using yankee to refer to a confederate just makes using it all the sweeter

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Glah posted:

Most people around my parts call America (US) 'jenkkilä'. Much to the delight of one American friend who moved here from Texas. Safe to say that his reactions everytime when that exonym is used only increases the usage in my friend circle, especially when drinking. But I think it is warranted, he calls me a Finn after all even if he knows perfectly well that I'm not Sami!

Youre an Eastern Swede fyi.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

Look, I for one sympathize with people not wanting their country confused with second-rate poultry, even if they really should have chosen a spelling outsiders can actually read.

I'm not mad about the bird. Please don't put it into the UN General Assembly minutes that I got mad about the bird.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The term for people from America = Americans
The term for people from the Americas = New Worlders

Badger of Basra posted:

Thousands of Americans arrested after chanting USA USA USA.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not mad about the bird. Please don't put it into the UN General Assembly minutes that I got mad about the bird.

I see, this is the real reason Modi wants to use Bharat instead of India

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Youre an Eastern Swede fyi.

It's far eastern Dane actually.

Also no one outside of USA cares about who is and isn't a Yankee. If you're from the area between Canada and Mexico, you're a Yankee, and that includes Alaska and Hawaii.