Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

sock it to me! posted:

The mini nukes you can load into it will gently caress up a factory or bug nest real good too.

Holy poo poo I didn't even realize that the shells you loaded into it corresponded with the actual strikes you call down. I thought it was just random chance making EMP's show up sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

sock it to me! posted:

The mini nukes you can load into it will gently caress up a factory or bug nest real good too.

First time we fired a mini-nuke it aced a medium nest by itself. We've been chasing that high ever since.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
SEAF artillery hauls rear end. Is there any way on the map to glean where SEAF, map towers and etc are or might be? I know you get a side op as an objective but being able to plan to get SEAF would be nice.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

You guys weren't kidding when you said fighting the robots was like a whole different game - felt like I was fighting against the necrons or something.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Inzombiac posted:

So, I know that inputting directions for strategies is part of the pressure of the game but is there any way to turn them off?
My old brain can't really keep up with that sometimes.

Someone already answered, but it's worth mentioning you can build in a way friendly to this. There's a few strike strategems that only have 3 inputs, and you can round this out with a heavy weapon and/or a backpack item. Those are the kind of things you drop in between fights so you aren't under time pressure to do the inputs.

Start with the beginning orbital strike and the eagle strafe, they're are both easy "up right right" style inputs. I'm sure you can find a list somewhere and decide which ones work for you.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
just use your stratagems a ton, that's how it becomes literal muscle memory

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Inzombiac posted:

So, I know that inputting directions for strategies is part of the pressure of the game but is there any way to turn them off?
My old brain can't really keep up with that sometimes.

You can make it easier on yourself if you're on keyboard by rebinding the strategems to arrows or numpad arrows - that way (with sprint on toggle) you can keep moving somewhere while you do the DDR thing. Lot less frantic than trying to dial in a napalm strike in between charger dodges.

If that's still not working for you, and you're not averse to it, you can make macros either with hardware if your keyboard has macro keys, or with autohotkey.

JBP posted:

SEAF artillery hauls rear end. Is there any way on the map to glean where SEAF, map towers and etc are or might be? I know you get a side op as an objective but being able to plan to get SEAF would be nice.

I feel it's very on-brand that the smoke shells and mini-nuke shells look identical other than their tooltip.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fighting bug: haha get some get some!

Fighting robot: *unintelligible, terrified screaming*

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

sock it to me! posted:

Yeah look at what shot is going to come out before you throw it. Had a dude vaporize himself this morning because he didn't expect the a-bomb.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Any advice on what to prioritize strategem wise? Ideally leaning toward versatility for when I have to pub.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

JackDarko posted:

Any advice on what to prioritize strategem wise? Ideally leaning toward versatility for when I have to pub.

Mines or Incendiary Mines are a pro pick, as is the Eagle Airstrike. The Grenade Launcher is also really good at popping bile bugs and your teammates.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JackDarko posted:

If you have a free gun (I think everyone gets a railgun right now) I'd just take area denial (turrets or mines) and something to blow poo poo up. If no free gun the stalwart is really good as a primary weapon.

380mm orbital and precision orbital are gold for safe bug busting.
Eagle airstrike and strafing run are excellent. I'm very partial to strafing run because it gets a few charges and will clean out a heap of enemies nearly instantly.
Never hurts to bring a supply pack if you want to be Mr Helpful.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm really digging bringing the supply pack. You can keep people supplied but also if the team can stay topped up through drops and pickups you can use it to give yourself ammo with an ammo hungry weapon like the grenade launcher. The cooldown is pretty short too so I'll call down a new one every now and then to keep my supply packs topped off too.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

I'm really digging bringing the supply pack. You can keep people supplied but also if the team can stay topped up through drops and pickups you can use it to give yourself ammo with an ammo hungry weapon like the grenade launcher. The cooldown is pretty short too so I'll call down a new one every now and then to keep my supply packs topped off too.

If you take extra supplies from a supply drop, you can refill your backpack charges, and the supply drop has a way shorter cooldown than the backpack, but the pack is a free refill too, yeah. Really helps for the long missions and your own longevity.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's almost comical just how much better at Starship Troopers this game is compared to the actual Troopers game by the Squad guys.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Play posted:

A tip on those guys: the dive is the answer just like chargers. When they're getting ready to spew, just dive to the side and they'll miss every time.
Can't speak for the heavier armours, but with the light armours you can also sprint diagonally and they'll miss you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Play posted:

A tip on those guys: the dive is the answer just like chargers. When they're getting ready to spew, just dive to the side and they'll miss every time.

This is absolutely not true. The spew tracks you and there's no window in which the dive is safe. I have been spewed many times in the middle of what I'd consider a perfect dive. The only answer is don't get spewed on by hitting them with AT.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played a couple intro missions, once solo and then once in quickplay. I finished both, but in both cases, my XP or credits didn't seem to be saved. It froze on the victory screen where everyone is standing greyed out until I hit ESC. Are rewards just not going through right now?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I played a couple intro missions, once solo and then once in quickplay. I finished both, but in both cases, my XP or credits didn't seem to be saved. It froze on the victory screen where everyone is standing greyed out until I hit ESC. Are rewards just not going through right now?

They're not. Maybe they're in a pocket dimension waiting for the problems to be fixed, but this is happening to everyone as far as I can tell.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Rewards have been hosed for people all day.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I just got the medals from like two missions just standing around afk in SES Ombudsman of Family Values

haven't gotten the exp or samples from those missions though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

JBP posted:

This is absolutely not true. The spew tracks you and there's no window in which the dive is safe. I have been spewed many times in the middle of what I'd consider a perfect dive. The only answer is don't get spewed on by hitting them with AT.

It seems to work super for me, but maybe it doesn't if you're too close? At mid range it seems to work great. The instinct is to keep firing but if you know you won't kill it in time better to dive or sprint

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Where the gently caress do I find any of these supercredits in the mission maps. I haven't even accidentally stumbled across a single one. Is it difficulty based?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

triple sulk posted:

Where the gently caress do I find any of these supercredits in the mission maps. I haven't even accidentally stumbled across a single one. Is it difficulty based?

Look for the caches that have a white flashing light emitting from it that you have to salute to open, you can usually see them from pretty far away. I've found some on Medium difficulty but not a lot.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Play posted:

It seems to work super for me, but maybe it doesn't if you're too close? At mid range it seems to work great. The instinct is to keep firing but if you know you won't kill it in time better to dive or sprint

they nail me every time, even midair. It might work if you dive at the very second they shoot, not sure…

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Deakul posted:

It's almost comical just how much better at Starship Troopers this game is compared to the actual Troopers game by the Squad guys.

:hmmyes:
Asked my friends while we were playing if we needed to keep starship troopers installed anymore and all of them instantly said nope

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Play posted:

Right now I just shoot them point blank because you get a free railgun and that flinches them or kills them. Chargers aren't a threat because you can just stare them down with a railgun.

I find at mid or close range the tracking is all wonky. Like it feels as though you should have a time that makes dodging safe or mitigates damage but I will do the same timing multiple times and 2/3 you just get spewed to death.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

they nail me every time, even midair. It might work if you dive at the very second they shoot, not sure…

I've tried diving early and late, always seems like a diceroll as to how much damage you take, often fatal damage.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

triple sulk posted:

Where are you looking? There's a bunch of little buildings scattered through the map that have basements that you can blow open, and the supply gliders you salute to open can sometimes contain them.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

explosivo posted:

Look for the caches that have a white flashing light emitting from it that you have to salute to open, you can usually see them from pretty far away. I've found some on Medium difficulty but not a lot.

They're the capsules that explode open, right? The ones that look like were a pod that contained someone? I've opened those and I don't feel like I've gotten a thing. I may have gotten ten just now but I dunno. I'm up to hard difficulty but I guess I don't seem to get poo poo from the matchmaking and need to start missions myself to get actual credit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The pods have a pillar of light to help you see them while you travel. They vary in what's inside a lot. Sometimes credits, but also medals and stuff.

Challenging is when you start to find more stuff. I think it's challenging minimum for the rare sample mat.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Update on fixes for issues:

Pilestedt in Helldivers discord posted:

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for your patience during the server maintenance. With it we deployed three “rapid-fixes” aimed at improving the situation with rewards often not being handed out properly, login-issues, and server capacity.

To speak in technical terms, our services as well as our partner services have a rate limiter that denies connections beyond a volume per minute to prevent the entire system from failing. We managed to increase the rate limit from 10,000/min to 20,000/min and the total capacity of concurrent players was increased from 250,000 total to 360,000 total. This was however still not enough as the player count jumped to 360k after 5 1⁄2 minutes.

As such, the issue with login remains. If for any reason you get the “Failed to connect to server”issue it means that the maximum number of login requests for that particular minute is exceeded and/or that the servers are full and will require someone to log out before allowing new players in. As mentioned above, the increased capacity should require less retries to get in.

As for the reward issue, the fix was mitigated but not resolved. And without additional server maintenance this will still not work as intended. If you get the issue you can try rebooting the game to increase the chances of it being reset. This is due to the high traffic on the servers leading to rewards not being tracked correctly by our servers.

I know the progression issue is frustrating, especially for newer divers that want to unlock sweet gear. For now, please once again accept our sincere apologies for the issues you’re facing and rest assured, we’re doing our utmost to make it right. In order to do so, right now it is crucial that our team gets some sleep and we will be back at this again in a few hours.

Regards,
Johan

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

triple sulk posted:

They're the capsules that explode open, right? The ones that look like were a pod that contained someone? I've opened those and I don't feel like I've gotten a thing. I may have gotten ten just now but I dunno. I'm up to hard difficulty but I guess I don't seem to get poo poo from the matchmaking and need to start missions myself to get actual credit.

There are caches scattered around, usually near a building. It looks like an orange or blue shipping container, buried so you can only see the small end. You have to blow it open with a grenade or red explosive barrel, and it usually has money/super credits/weapons.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Major Operation posted:

Not great but good on them for keeping us updated! Here's hoping for a make good resources drop at some point for those of us who are continuing the fight for MANAGED DEMOCRACY

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Major Operation posted:

Good on them. Hopefully things will be quiet enough during the week that they can get some more capacity or something. They did a fantastic job with the game, just gotta get that service sorted out.

I did seem to get all the medals that I was missing eventually, which is nice. If the xp and requisition slips come in too I will be very excited!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I’m not a network engineer but those numbers they had set seem crazy low. I’m sure I’m wrong but man.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't blame them for not preparing to take 20,000 patriots per minute lmao

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

jabro posted:

I’m not a network engineer but those numbers they had set seem crazy low. I’m sure I’m wrong but man.

lol yeah when New World blew up (before AGS then blew up lol) didn't it hit over a million concurrent? Feels like there's been a little bit of a release lull and with Fatshark making GBS threads the bed so hard with Darktide there's definitely some pent-up demand for pve horde co-op. And other than the network stuff the game feels really, really good. 360k seems low to me, too

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Autocannon loving RIPS the lil ATST bots and it’s so satisfying, will never not take that for every bot mission

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

idiotsavant posted:

lol yeah when New World blew up (before AGS then blew up lol) didn't it hit over a million concurrent? Feels like there's been a little bit of a release lull and with Fatshark making GBS threads the bed so hard with Darktide there's definitely some pent-up demand for pve horde co-op. And other than the network stuff the game feels really, really good. 360k seems low to me, too

This is also by far the best and most atmospheric co op pve horde game I've ever played, too. Like all the game parts are pretty solid, but I'm blown away by just how much they nailed the atmosphere and setting and kind of imbued it with emotional tension. it works really well. No wonder it is selling a billion copies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

To be fair, while games pretty much always underestimate their networking needs, their last two games had 11k and 6k concurrency caps on Steam. I’d be surprised if they hit a million sales on Magicka sooner than a decade in, here they’ve done it in three days. Someone mentioned that it was shown on a bunch of Sony trailer reels but that’s not really any guarantee of a game blowing up orders of magnitude bigger than your last two.