Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Can I help you find anything today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Law working at a target is strangely believable

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Law hates rich people and his only reward is the sweet embrace of death, he's very relatable. Actually going by these endings winning the Iron Fist Tournament isn't great unless you're Kazuya, who can use it to grow his vast shoe collection.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Glad to see my top peformance stat is "close combatant". Fengs pokes and counter hits rule so ive definitely been up in peoples faces. Very different from how I play Eddy. Heavy hitter is also high for me and I think that means high damage punishes? It would make sense with fengs 10 frame punish and his shoulder punish. I wish they explained the categories better.

e- Also to the guy who said he wanted to mash without big movelists and stances- Dragunov and Paul are both heavy hitting chars who dont rely on a lot of stances or moves to work. In fact Dragunov is by all accounts a bit overtuned atm.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ran into a zafina PC player on a 20 win streak in ranked. He took two off of me and I adjusted and he plugged in the final round. I dont think I lost rank but I lost my win streak lol. These people are absolute cornballs to care about that poo poo. I thought he was an actually great player ranking up but he's just a plugger.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
My game has crashed a handful of times since launch not including network errors. Maybe just a coincidence :shrug: .

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you're having trouble deciding on a character to start with, Fergus's guide is a good overview to differentiate them and highlights the things to start with when learning them

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CG-ZUE6EqqQk7QSfc1feddeS8411f8t38EMFQ1Le9Cc/edit

Really helpful, thanks!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

poe meater posted:

My game has crashed a handful of times since launch not including network errors. Maybe just a coincidence :shrug: .

First time it's happened to me since launch day and it was against a guy on a "20 win streak".

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How do i unlock costumes in super ghost battle? Just keep fighting my ghost?

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

How do i unlock costumes in super ghost battle? Just keep fighting my ghost?

You should be able to challenge the CPU ghosts and they'll have little like treasure chest icons in the list to select from for the character to show you can win a costume.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MelancholyMark posted:

You should be able to challenge the CPU ghosts and they'll have little like treasure chest icons in the list to select from for the character to show you can win a costume.

Ok so select cpu ghosts at the arcade machine or talk to the ones around the room?

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Ok so select cpu ghosts at the arcade machine or talk to the ones around the room?

I just did it on the arcade machine, I think there are way more options on the machine than there are people in the room with little treasure chests.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

The treasure chest people in the super ghost room rotate in and out. Well not sure about coming back in after they're beaten, but you can definitely beat a room, reset, new people in the room. Probably the faster way to find an individual char

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

MelancholyMark posted:

I just did it on the arcade machine, I think there are way more options on the machine than there are people in the room with little treasure chests.

Yeah, all the CPU ghosts are listed in the arcade machine; you can fight them all without having to reset the room. It also shows you which character they are in case you're wanting to unlock a specific costume

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i had a moment today and actually alt+f4ed (after the match was over) and uninstalled the game. i was loving done. m-o-o-n that spells over this loving game

then i caught a few videos of street fighter pros getting the piss knocked out of them by people in teal and said gently caress that, if they can struggle i can struggle

reinstalled and spent some time drilling some simpler stuff. dropped trying to do advanced throws and just got comfortable with a few simpler combos

so first i did this

and then i did this

the last round we both had heat. tried to throw, they broke it, i backdashed and hit b3 to create some space, they misjudged the sweep and my rage art connected on one of the last frames of recovery. actually jumped out of my chair wondering if it was going to hit.

seeing an orange and thinking "welp im hosed. at least try to get a round" and then winning the set makes me want to run outside and howl at the moon.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Lili's strength is her movement. DF3 is slow so you can't just throw it out in neutral, the idea is to step away from the opponent and hit them with it at range hoping for a counterhit. If you're having trouble with that part, get in practice mode until you're comfortable just stepping and evading, then once you're ready start throwing out the DF3 and see what sticks.

I think Lili is a character too hard to "parse" for me right now.
Movement is still something I'm struggling with - I'm not finding it easy to see when a sidestep is the right move.
On the other hand, I tried challenging my understanding of fundamental mechanics.
Again, sorry if I've been a bit antagonistic, but I was feeling like not knowing that you're supposed to put lands in a MTG deck.

I got some time 1 vs 1 with a friend who actually has a grasp of the game, I was proposed to to switch to Asuka so I'd be forced to stop trying fill every single moment of the game with a button, any button, have a lighter mental stack and try to play a more keepaway game.
At least I think I understood something, the "cadence" of Tekken is quite different from the 2d fgs I'm used to. I guess having something akin to a "drill", having to poke and try to frametrap forced me to understand better spacing, movement and the rhythm of trading initiative. I still try to rushdown too much but that's my main flaw in every FG so... well.

Things got better.
Sorry, thread!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No apology needed! You are describing key Tekken experiences

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I picked up Asuka myself. Won my first game in the 5th round, guy didnt replay, I took the 100% win rate for now and will come back later.

What I want to start with is mastering the defensive game, particularly as the early ranks will likely just be people trying to using heat combos on repeat.

What i've worked out so far, based on arcade quest and you tube is this.
1, 1 and 1, 2 are high/mid jab strings, 1, 3 is a high low mixup option if their blocking.
F3 is a poke from further put, and DB3 is the low option from the same distance
F4 is the whiff punisher if you they throw out something big.
F1+2 is a high/mid powercrush and heat engager if they're in my face, while B3 and D3+4 crush lows. I can also use B1+3 from the counter stance.

Theres a low that goes into a hit grab leg breaker, but don't know how to use it.
Leaving all the combos and install uniques for now, is there any other options I should practice or know to begin with at the pre-green ranks?

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Char posted:

I think Lili is a character too hard to "parse" for me right now.
Movement is still something I'm struggling with - I'm not finding it easy to see when a sidestep is the right move.
On the other hand, I tried challenging my understanding of fundamental mechanics.
Again, sorry if I've been a bit antagonistic, but I was feeling like not knowing that you're supposed to put lands in a MTG deck.

I got some time 1 vs 1 with a friend who actually has a grasp of the game, I was proposed to to switch to Asuka so I'd be forced to stop trying fill every single moment of the game with a button, any button, have a lighter mental stack and try to play a more keepaway game.
At least I think I understood something, the "cadence" of Tekken is quite different from the 2d fgs I'm used to. I guess having something akin to a "drill", having to poke and try to frametrap forced me to understand better spacing, movement and the rhythm of trading initiative. I still try to rushdown too much but that's my main flaw in every FG so... well.

Things got better.
Sorry, thread!

So I skimmed a few of your previous posts, I don't know Lili too well so my advice is somewhat generic but maybe it'll help you.

Slower moves like Lili's df3 and many standing lows are the sort of moves you apply when you read your opponent's turn is over and they are planning to hold back to defend. Usually after a string of sorts that leaves them safe but heavily minus. You poke them with a low, that gives +frames on hit, or a sturdy mid that gives +frames on block. Then you attack with a nice quick mid that fits within the plusframes (like a df1), if they press and you hit, you continue having +frames and can fit another move in there. If they block you are at a small negative, and that is where you consider sidestepping.

Sidestepping in Tekken generally works best in the range of +4 to -4. At -5 in most situations a jab check will hit you out of a sidestep. Stepping during +frames is a more advanced consideration so we'll just drop that idea for now, as a beginner/intermediate you should probably just use them to attack.

We'll look at the typical -1 to -4 situation. Lili's df1 in the above example leaves you -1 on block I believe, which is perfect. To start with sidestepping you should practice stepguarding in situations like this. A stepguard is a sidestep that you cancel about halfway by tapping back to guard. This lets you sidestep linear moves (giving you a chance to whiff punish) and lets you guard in time to block slower tracking and homing moves. You can practice this pretty easily: set the dummy to first action: guard, second action: punish. On the punish list select a jab and a slower homing move. Tap the dummy with df1, then step enough to get by the jab and guard in time to block the homing move. Practice 10 clean stepguards up, 10 clean stepguards down, and again on 2p side. Once you got the rhythm, try a few other moves that leave you more minus. Also try a few other moves instead of the jab, notice how some might need to be stepped in specific direction. Spend a few days with this and then you can start practicing whiff punishes from your step.

Combining both the above ideas should set you on the way to a decent flow.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Autsj posted:

So I skimmed a few of your previous posts, I don't know Lili too well so my advice is somewhat generic but maybe it'll help you.

Thanks, I'll try something like this in practice and try to account for the different frame data for Asuka's SS.
I'm self inflicting her for a while because I need a character that has zero incentives in playing rushdown, otherwise I'll autopilot on my own idea of Tekken cadence (and fall right into multiple launchers).

The mental reset I continuosuly need is "am I at max df3 range?".

On the other hand, how the hell do you handle Dragunov, especially on small stages :stare:

Got to assailant so far.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Up to yellow ranks as King and people are starting to know how to break normal throws so I guess it's time to learn some combos and more than one or two of his character specific throws.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh I guess this is for the EWGF learners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYo1w1o-YXk

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

For the people fixating on the hard stuff, just a reminder that Book, who was a top 20 tekken 7 player made TWT finals and won tournaments with Jin and never used Jins electrics.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Seltzer posted:

For the people fixating on the hard stuff, just a reminder that Book, who was a top 20 tekken 7 player made TWT finals and won tournaments with Jin and never used Jins electrics.

This.

And also

This video is terrible content mill poo poo. Like I don't hate the core exercises he suggests, they're milquetoast but fine. But they require being comfortable with the ewgf itself already, and nobody who is will click on a video with that title and thumbnail. It's going to be beginners who get nothing but maybe the suggestion of just brute forcing it (which is terrible). Maybe bonus points that the guy at least cautions against overdoing it as he admits he permanently injured himself?

Edit: No meanness intended to CharlieFoxtrot, I get that you saw it pop up and just wanted to be helpful. I'm just miffed at the targeted audience vs the content issue.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 11, 2024

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Weasling Weasel posted:

I picked up Asuka myself. Won my first game in the 5th round, guy didnt replay, I took the 100% win rate for now and will come back later.

What I want to start with is mastering the defensive game, particularly as the early ranks will likely just be people trying to using heat combos on repeat.

What i've worked out so far, based on arcade quest and you tube is this.
1, 1 and 1, 2 are high/mid jab strings, 1, 3 is a high low mixup option if their blocking.
F3 is a poke from further put, and DB3 is the low option from the same distance
F4 is the whiff punisher if you they throw out something big.
F1+2 is a high/mid powercrush and heat engager if they're in my face, while B3 and D3+4 crush lows. I can also use B1+3 from the counter stance.

Theres a low that goes into a hit grab leg breaker, but don't know how to use it.
Leaving all the combos and install uniques for now, is there any other options I should practice or know to begin with at the pre-green ranks?

Another good whiff punisher is f2 but it's pretty unsafe on block, so spacing and timing is really important. df2 is safer but has less range. B3 is a good way to keep distance from the opponent and can be followed up with 2 or 4 (her low sweeping kick). The 2 is the same upper cut as F2 so again, use with caution.

db1 is her low that goes into a grab. The grab will only happen on CH. If you think your opponent is going to go for a high or grab, that's a good choice.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I get that Tekken doesn’t have zoning/zoners in the 2D fighter sense but as someone who generally leans towards zoners in fighting games, can anyone recommend which characters might scratch that sort of itch? I’m feeling a bit lost, character choice wise.

What I love about playing zoners is the combo of being able to repeatedly stuff their approach by either smart space control or predictively shoving a hitbox into where they’re going, and being able to condition or frustrate opponents to get them stuck back in my zoning blender.

How can I translate this to Tekken? There seem to be a few characters who have good keepout tools but nobody I’ve tried so far “feels” right - I probably just don’t know enough about Tekken yet to understand what I’m looking for. So yeah, any other Degenerate Zoner Enjoyers in other games got character suggestions?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Projectile zoners don’t really exist in Tekken outside of some guest characters and the occasional weird attack which kind of does the job. Nina and Victor have guns and can kind of play keep out with them, Devil Jin can do some (wildly unsafe) laser shenanigans.

You might look into defensive characters or ones with heavy counter hits with long reach. Bryan, Lee, Hwoarang and Raven come to mind immediately, Steve got some new tools with surprisingly long range as well.

You’re not really going to be keeping people out so much as punishing them for getting in.

E: Comedy option that the shotgun accessory turns anyone into a zoner.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 12, 2024

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I know that Jack has big long reaching hitboxes. If you're looking for stuffing approaches, both Steve and Lee have a solid emphasis on counterhits that might be up your alley.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Mode 7 posted:

I get that Tekken doesn’t have zoning/zoners in the 2D fighter sense but as someone who generally leans towards zoners in fighting games, can anyone recommend which characters might scratch that sort of itch? I’m feeling a bit lost, character choice wise.

What I love about playing zoners is the combo of being able to repeatedly stuff their approach by either smart space control or predictively shoving a hitbox into where they’re going, and being able to condition or frustrate opponents to get them stuck back in my zoning blender.

How can I translate this to Tekken? There seem to be a few characters who have good keepout tools but nobody I’ve tried so far “feels” right - I probably just don’t know enough about Tekken yet to understand what I’m looking for. So yeah, any other Degenerate Zoner Enjoyers in other games got character suggestions?

As someone who got into tekken 7 as a 2d zoner player that had never really played a 3d game before, my suggestion is to look up the fergus tekken 8 character synopsis guide and choose any character listed as having a "strong poking game"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Alisa's Double Rocket Punch is a kinda spamable projectile. Not practical though.

Now if I could just figure out how to throw Kung Lao's hat.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

I would recommend giving Asuka a try.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mode 7 posted:

Zafina was S-tier at this in 7 but she was changed enough that it doesn't exactly feel that way anymore, though in heat her Heat Smash is basically "the shotgun item but a good move" lol

Jun has extremely good whiff punishment and has an evasive low with very long reach which is basically the projectile in this game

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Zafina was S-tier at this in 7 but she was changed enough that it doesn't exactly feel that way anymore, though in heat her Heat Smash is basically "the shotgun item but a good move" lol

Jun has extremely good whiff punishment and has an evasive low with very long reach which is basically the projectile in this game

Jun’s heat smash also seems to act like a projectile, I ate birds a few times earlier today when fighting her. But yeah, sometimes I can knowledge check folks with Zafina’s heat smash from a distance.

Two and a half weeks into T8 and I still not have had a ranked Zafina mirror. I had a Shaheen and two different Kumas this afternoon. I’m starting to wonder if the matching algorithm downplays mirror matches or something.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tortolia posted:

Two and a half weeks into T8 and I still not have had a ranked Zafina mirror. I had a Shaheen and two different Kumas this afternoon. I’m starting to wonder if the matching algorithm downplays mirror matches or something.

Nah shes really unpopular atm. A lot of the reason for her (relative) popularity in t7 was her basic back dashes and sidesteps were super good last year compared to others but now everyone has gotten a bit of a buff to that stuff.

The latest usage rate chart.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 12, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Nah shes really unpopular atm. A lot of the reason for her popularity in t7 was her basic back dashes and sidesteps were super good last year compared to others but now everyone has gotten a bit of a buff to that stuff.

The latest usage rate chart.

Yeah, I’m fine with playing a unicorn, just I’ve even fought multiple Panda at this point.

I fell off T7 before any of the dlc chars because the online experience was poor, so I have no preexisting Zafina bias. I just think she’s neat.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks everyone who chimed in. Just to clarify a bit I'm not looking to like, 1:1 recreate a projectile zoner playstyle in Tekken 8 or try and find a single projectile move to spam away at and pretend I'm accomplishing anything (Claudio STB 4,2 against people who are unaware he can do that is extremely funny though :allears:), just more "hey this is what I enjoy in 2D fighting games, does anyone with similar tastes have suggestions".
Sounds like whiff punish and counterhit heavy stuff will be a good place to drill in on. I'll spend a bit more time digging into Alisa, Asuka, Lee and Jun and see if any of them click for me.

Failing that, I will continue to be King and throw dudes because that's fun too.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
My mind is still boggled Leroy is so low.

E: gently caress, I'm doubly boggled that Asuka, common as poo poo in my experience, isn't in the Top 10.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Shockeh posted:

My mind is still boggled Leroy is so low.

E: gently caress, I'm doubly boggled that Asuka, common as poo poo in my experience, isn't in the Top 10.

His design is cool but his playstyle is pretty lame. They took a lot of generic "good moves in tekken" in slapped it onto him. If they took wangs movelist and gave it to him and updated it I think it'd go down better. His movelist is really uninspired and when it was overtuned on launch in t7, super lame to watch. Jun is stealing Asuka's thunder this time.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Zafina was never popular anyways in 7 even when she was one of the best characters in the game, something about her has always kept her in the bottom few characters in every single Tekken game. I don't know if people are scared of her stances or just don't like her aesthetic or what, but regardless of her power level no one plays her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I've fought a few Zafinas, maybe a regional thing. I'm surprised Dragunov is that popular, and kind of sad Leroy is that low. I do like that the distribution is still even enough that you see a little of everybody. Heck, I don't think I've seen a Dragunov for awhile.

What the guy above said about Leroy having the stink of an overtuned DLC character who was cheap on launch is probably true and unfortunate. I remember how pissed people were, and never played him myself so I'm not really sure what's up with him play-wise. I hope they don't do annoying as gently caress DLC characters again. I also wonder if they'll let us practice against characters we don't own. They better at least give them in the replay system.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 12, 2024