Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

alternatively, its like Laverne and Shirley where judaism is the seasons where theyre at the brewery and christianity is the seasons where theyre in california

I'm not a million years old, someone tell me if I should be mad about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

I'm not a million years old, someone tell me if I should be mad about this

it's not my job to educate you smh

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Whirling posted:

insulting religion is great actually. like lmao there's people who actually believe there's magical spirits that'll slow cook them like a 7-11 hotdog for eternity because they jacked off once

that happens

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

loquacius posted:

This might sound like a my_little_pony_at_auschwitz.jpg type post, but the pure absurdity of eternal punishment didn't get through to me until I played Baldurs Gate 3

There's a part where you bust into a demon's house and meet some of the people whose souls he owns, and one guy is like "I sold my soul to feed my starving family. That was like 1600 years ago and now I don't even remember their faces." Like, the vast, VAST majority of his lived experience was torment over a deal he made during his comparatively tiny physical life.

Imagine it's 2 billion years from now, Earth's sun has long since exploded, and you're still being punished for practicing the slightly wrong flavor of Christianity when you were alive for 37 years, so long ago you can't remember your own given name. Ridiculous concept

eternity doesn't mean you'd remember it
also doesn't mean continually

i think concepts like that are an expression that builds up from the observed consequences of actions spanning across generations meant as a warning since people only think about themselves so saying you'll ruin it for everyone else by doing that doesn't work only personal consequences
like heaven or hell weren't really supposed to be physical locations you go to, its where you're at after you're gone & what the cumulative effect of behavior in a given direction causes for society as a whole

most religious concepts do have or had some valid real world social or personal, psychological or group behavioral purpose to exist it's just usually not super apparent bc it doesn't have to be if people all follow along and that's how it worked until very recently

most stuff like that won't make sense unless you think about it like it's true then pay attention to the effect that has and would have on a group that all believes it, then its obvious what the purpose is and that it actually doesn't matter if it's "true" or not and the people yelling about the point being faith were right even if what they were believing didn't happen

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i could be wrong but i bet thats a lor of it bc even if people got the concept that packages easier which is what matters most pre-literacy

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's one guy saying "you'll be punished for eternity" as a metaphor for the consequences it will have on humanity and future generations and another guy hearing "demons will shove hot rocks up your rear end until the sun burns out" forever

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's one guy saying "you'll be punished for eternity" as a metaphor for the consequences it will have on humanity and future generations and another guy hearing "demons will shove hot rocks up your rear end until the sun burns out" forever

yeah but which message gets the results?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm sorry but my only response to "Christian Hell is actually a metaphor" is "somebody should tell the Christians that"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gumball Gumption posted:

The position of the Church is that Hell is a state of separation from God, and that the hope of all Catholics is that there's no one there.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Actually the position of the Church is that heaven and hell are both the experience of God's intensifying presence and those who hate God would experience it as overwhelming torment while the faithful would experience it as love.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Actually the position of the Church is that heaven and hell are both the experience of God's intensifying presence and those who hate God would experience it as overwhelming torment while the faithful would experience it as love.

Still say literally all modern Christianity makes so much sense when you substitute 'God' for 'my rich abusive dad'.

Especially given their whole attitude is almost literally being Golden Children vs everyone they don't like being the Scapegoat. they go on about the torments of Hell because they gleefully imagine it happening to everyone they don't like.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
does losing your faith after growing up in an evangelical christian household forever lock you into a 16-year old nu-atheist mindset towards all religion? hard to explain the cringe of goons otherwise

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tatankatonk posted:

does losing your faith after growing up in an evangelical christian household forever lock you into a 16-year old nu-atheist mindset towards all religion? hard to explain the cringe of goons otherwise

It frequently does but I'm just Jewish sorry

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

tatankatonk posted:

I think that the biggest aspect is goons, and very online people broadly, not engaging with stuff beyond vidya and eat hot chip. So there's like a flattening of human experience and they can't understand why someone would practice a religion or have politics that acknowledge some of the depth of human suffering.

the hosed up religious household stuff can totally destroy someone of course, and it makes total sense why someone would have a childish response to religion. or like being the target of religiously motivated homophobia their whole lives etc

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

nice obelisk idiot posted:

or like being the target of religiously motivated homophobia their whole lives etc

its pretty bad, speaking from personal experience!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
all religions are just fantasies in the eye of an autistic boy: the buddha

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

tatankatonk posted:

I would think this explains a lot of the American presentation of it, for sure. I barely recognize what they're talking about as Christianity, so I imagine they were raised by snake handlers, and I cant' fault them for walking away after that.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Whirling posted:

its pretty bad, speaking from personal experience!
yes, it really is. sorry.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

My mom got kicked out of the house and disowned at 16 for refusing a church arranged marriage, maybe have a little understanding? It's a bad environment.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

nice obelisk idiot posted:

yes, it really is. sorry.

no worries, I'll try to be less cringey about religion in general, sorry about that

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Whirling posted:

no worries, I'll try to be less cringey about religion in general, sorry about that
You're fine. I was pretty fortunate in some ways but still became super repressed. re: my lgbtqi stuff: i broke out of a lot of internalized self-hatred and mental blocks by practicing buddhist meditation. So I kinda feel both ways about it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/11/1230667405/actor-camila-mendes-on-upgraded-a-new-rom-com-about-a-new-york-art-intern

wish I had a text readout to quote but I think this plot description and following conversation about manifesting is really shocking

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, it's not exclusive to Americans but the things you gotta keep in mind with a lot of formerly religious and raised religious people is that they have personal experience with deeply weird and hosed up institutions, generational trauma and cult dynamics that are very different from experience of religion as a casual or theoretical thing. Many have literally no positive experiences with religion, with said institutions basically mostly manifesting as an ever-increasing list of things you aren't allowed to enjoy, and reasons it's okay for adults to abuse you.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Buddhism isn't a religion it's just a workaround

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

indigi posted:

Buddhism isn't a religion it's just a workaround

Buddhists are the kind of Christian who say “It’s not a religion, it’s a relationship with Christ.”

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I always liked this quote from the Gospel of Philip

quote:

God is a man-eater

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

galagazombie posted:

Buddhists are the kind of Christian who say “It’s not a religion, it’s a relationship with Christ.”

There's something bizarre about how internet discussions over religion tends to devolve into the idea that Christianity (or just American Protestantism) is the bad kind of religion, while obviously every other creed is inherently more reasonable, more compatible with a secular worldview and with liberal or leftist values, etc.

It's kind of like how you'll have someone post a general statement (humorous or serious) about people, gender, etc. but amend it with the right adjective(s) to be properly intersectional. A lazy "women be shopping" joke has to become "white women be shopping", etc.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

it's just shibboleths, "at least we can agree on this!" etc. don't get mad at me i'm initiated.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

tatankatonk posted:

it's not limited to evangelicals, but on the other hand white catholics are basically just tackier southern baptists these days

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

it’s the future, you don’t have to pretend to believe in god anymore

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

it’s the future, you don’t have to pretend to believe in god anymore

Hey we're still the past to the future of the future!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

religion is mostly just wanting to go to the exclusive afterparty, it's one of the most human desires imaginable. still kinda silly but, again, kinda silly describes most human endeavors

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's the position of CS Lewis in The Great Divorce, but I'm not sure if it's any church's official theological position (though it may well be, my theology studies were a long long time ago)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's also dumb

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
We must find our way to heaven so we may open new markets for our sales teams and to retrieve harps and fluffy clouds for our own population.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

YaketySass posted:

same but for heaven rewarding you eternally

the rewards and punishments are just being closer and farther away from gods light it's pretty simple and not nearly as goofy as what you're imagining. Idk why the immortable soul needs to be substained or even aware of that tho.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

docbeard posted:

That's the position of CS Lewis in The Great Divorce, but I'm not sure if it's any church's official theological position (though it may well be, my theology studies were a long long time ago)

Eastern Orthodox, well some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

War and Pieces posted:

the rewards and punishments are just being closer and farther away from gods light it's pretty simple and not nearly as goofy as what you're imagining. Idk why the immortable soul needs to be substained or even aware of that tho.