Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

roomtone posted:

here's the CRPG primer 2024 edition

baldur's gate 3: has close ups and really involves you in the interpersonal conflicts with cinematic camera angles at various points. no it's not just all about loving shadowheart, but that's kind of the reason it's so popular, that's your way in. or karlach, or even jaheira but she's 60 hours in. whatever. you're already playing it because of shadowheart.

every other crpg: i need to read this poo poo?

This is exactly why BG3 sucks. I don't want closeups and voice acted mo-cap emoted conversations they just slow the whole thing way the gently caress down

I can read a paragraph of text faster than BG3 loads into a conversation, and then BG3 makes you tediously click through every sentence of that conversation with a short delay between each one. gently caress that!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 36 hours!)

you should upgrade your pc pal

loads instantly on a modern machine

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's still like a half second unstoppable delay while it switches the camera around and zooms into the cuts end and then between every line and it's unbearable to me

I read fast as gently caress just give me a block of paragraphs I'll finish them all before the voice actor is done with the first sentence

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

roomtone posted:

you should upgrade your pc pal

loads instantly on a modern machine

Yeah, for real, I've got a lot of issues with it but load times is certainly not one. I actually do think the mocapped animations are good, because it means I know who some of the characters are, which makes some of the story land a bit / makes battles with npcs involved actually have some kind of weight. The animation is genuinely impressive.

I just wish that I woke up in the night to discover that one creepy dude was secretly sucking the hair off my head, because it was the only way to maintain his corporeal form. Or, something. You know, anything really, just as long as it's a new idea.
(yeah yeah, no such thing, but, you know what I mean).

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Complaining about slow voice acting in BG3 is more brain worms than the game is based on

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is exactly why BG3 sucks. I don't want closeups and voice acted mo-cap emoted conversations they just slow the whole thing way the gently caress down

I can read a paragraph of text faster than BG3 loads into a conversation, and then BG3 makes you tediously click through every sentence of that conversation with a short delay between each one. gently caress that!!!

Replace each character with an approval number, nethack style, so you can see them tick up or down as you hammer through the dialogue prompts imo

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

There's still like a half second unstoppable delay while it switches the camera around and zooms into the cuts end and then between every line and it's unbearable to me

I read fast as gently caress just give me a block of paragraphs I'll finish them all before the voice actor is done with the first sentence

Try warhammer Rogue Trader. Hardly any voice acting, but there are just walls of text all over the place.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 36 hours!)

it's little known but shadowheart's nipples point slightly towards the north when you choose the option that will make her the most bountiful

roomtone fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 12, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Meatwolfe posted:

Try warhammer Rogue Trader. Hardly any voice acting, but there are just walls of text all over the place.

It's my goty 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A lot of people here probably weren't even aware that this happened but there was a big controversy that Baldur's Gate 3 won a bunch of GOTY awards. You might ask: for the people complaining about it, what game do these intrepid individuals believe should have won instead?

Hogwarts Legacy.

I don't care what you think about BG3, it's hilarious that a bunch of terfs are mad that the most mid game ever made isn't everyone's goty

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

A lot of people here probably weren't even aware that this happened but there was a big controversy that Baldur's Gate 3 won a bunch of GOTY awards. You might ask: for the people complaining about it, what game do these intrepid individuals believe should have won instead?

Hogwarts Legacy.

I don't care what you think about BG3, it's hilarious that a bunch of terfs are mad that the most mid game ever made isn't everyone's goty

It's even weirder that liking a game = political statement imo

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Actually, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom should have won game of the year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Actually, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom should have won game of the year.

Expansion packs can't win game of the year though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Unpopular video game opinion: It's cool that video game awards are finally centralized a bit, nobody cares about what Gamespot or IGN are publishing anymore.

Yes, it's now just a lovely popularity competition with no regards to merit, but these things always have been and its nice not to have to pretend otherwise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

Hogwarts Legacy.

From what I saw way more people were mad about spiders man not winning, or totk. In any case who gives a (consults notes) poo poo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fading Afternoon should've won

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sebmojo posted:

From what I saw way more people were mad about spiders man not winning, or totk. In any case who gives a (consults notes) poo poo

I don't even know why spiderman would be on the list, those are fine enough games but not amazing

totk didn't win because it's actually just bad, like all zeldas

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

Pillars of Eternity had the best stat/combat system in any CRPG, and some of the best writing of any CRPG

yea i realize i'm complaining about the way the story is presented but the Pillars series is definitely my favorite infinity engine clone in terms of the systems. clear and straightforward enough that even a scrub like me could game my specializations and ironman it blind

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
God of War Ragnarok has no business running this well on my ancient PS4.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

tango alpha delta posted:

God of War Ragnarok has no business running this well on my ancient PS4.

Turns out the PS5 was just a PS4 in a different plastic casing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
From what I hear, the actual gameplay of BG3 is bad and the story/other stuff is either your cup of tea or it isn't.

It sounds like it isn't nearly as good as Disco Elysium.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

What is your favourite book

Vakal
May 11, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Dragonlance obviously.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

From what I hear, the actual gameplay of BG3 is bad and the story/other stuff is either your cup of tea or it isn't.

Whoa whoa whoa. BG3 is probably not a very good game but saying its worse than Disco Elysium without some real evidence seems like slander.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Forgotten Realms is a pretty tired and not very exciting setting but I wouldn't say that's BG3's fault.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I tend to get irritated by characters who speak slower than I can read, unless the performances are good (and Baldurs Gate 3 has some good ones).

It's real crime is that if a character speaks, and then there's an event, skipping the line will also skip the event. I wish they were chunked a bit more discreetly.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Waltzing Along posted:

Honestly, it isn't. It's of a much higher production level, but for what it's trying to do, Disco does it better. I think more people will enjoy the boiled leather and familiarity of the lovely boring setting of BG3 because apparently people eat that poo poo right up (elder scrolls, is another one, EXACTLY the same, totally interchangeable) but what BG3 wishes it was, is a cyoa with enough choices to feel like you can do whatever you want. But in practice, not enough of those choices are meaningful. DE handles it much better, by giving you fewer but more fleshed out options.

I'm just at a bit in BG 3 where I tried to double cross someone, but it will only let me double cross them at a specific moment (when it feels very much too late) and if you don't choose the right dialogue option the game gets confused and becomes unwinnable, giving the mark infinite health.

I got taken to jail at one point, and there was a hole in the wall, not finished yet. There were some bones in the cell, so I thought, 'oh ill use them to dig'. But, someone with x ray vision saw through the cell walls to see me doing it, so I was immediately arrested (again?) for..
No not escaping, stealing the bones. So I got taken to jail. The one I was in. The guard now stayed there, in the jail with me, and watched without complaint as I 'punched' the hole clear and crawled out.

Goty.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Games I've played this year that were more enjoyable than Elden Ring:

Pizza pop
Young Indiana Jones chronicles
Tetris 2
The original Doom
Mega man 4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Games I've played this year that were more enjoyable than Elden Ring:

Pizza pop
Young Indiana Jones chronicles
Tetris 2
The original Doom
Mega man 4

Honestly this is damning with faint praise to put the original doom on this list.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Barudak posted:

Honestly this is damning with faint praise to put the original doom on this list.

There's a whole back story with that one that involves a family friend of mine playing Doom for the first time so it is partly vicarious

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The best info dumps in games were in Half-Life 2 where you can walk away from someone speaking to you mid sentence and throw their computer in the bin or break all their windows.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Infinite Jest

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Yeah that totally tracks. I probably could have guessed lmao

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

The best info dumps in games were in Half-Life 2 where you can walk away from someone speaking to you mid sentence and throw their computer in the bin or break all their windows.

You should have been able to skip cutscenes by just pulling out a gun and shooting whoever was talking to you. gently caress continuity it just skips to the end of the cutscene. They can come back for later cutscenes but it adds a bloody bandage texture.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Somehow Quake had exposition dump skipping technology but Half-Life ripped out that code to find room for commuting to the office.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

if you love unskippable exposition cutscenes you'll love Squadron 42

Squadron 42 Monthly Report March 2022 posted:

June saw Level Design make another significant push on chapter five’s Shubin Archon content. This is the team’s largest walk-and-talk level, featuring two NPC guides and numerous background scenes and NPCs.

“It’s been a huge challenge to implement and another maintaining it, but we’re very pleased with where we are at with it now.” Level Design Team

not one but two NPC guides lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I don't even know why spiderman would be on the list, those are fine enough games but not amazing

totk didn't win because it's actually just bad, like all zeldas

Okay doc ock, if the games were not amazing, then why does everyone call him the Amazing Spiderman?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Okay doc ock, if the games were not amazing, then why does everyone call him the Amazing Spiderman?

Propaganda from the spiderman industrial complex, wake up sheeple

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Haven't played 2 but 1 was an incredibly good game all things considered. Better story than any of the Iron Man Jr. Films, fun gameplay with both stealth and action, good use of all the villains and allies. Miles Morales was a massive step down for how mishandled the villains were and how dull Insomniac Miles is compared to Spider verse Miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Barudak posted:

Somehow Quake had exposition dump skipping technology but Half-Life ripped out that code to find room for commuting to the office.

Quake only had exposition skipping tech because it was reworked in the middle of development and everyone was fighting with each other and competing with each other politically.

Quake was supposed to be a whole lot more like Daikatana than it was.