Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

For a good time, look to the honker's railway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've searched for honkers, but the results seem possibly unrelated.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Honkers railway is the title of my new dadgame

RME
Feb 20, 2012

parasyte posted:

you'll want to install this mod if you haven't: https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/22

there's ffviihook, but when i tried to use it it a) disabled HDR and b) hosed controller detection so now all my buttons are numbers instead of proper labels

using the linked mod fixed a but i can't seem to fix b, my buttons are stuck with labels like ① ② ③ ④

This is actually a reference to what it was like to play the original ff7 pc port

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there any possible way to use VR with Steam deck, assuming I've got a dock of some sort? I barely know anything about VR, though I once got my wife's laptop working with her niece's Quest 2 and I played No Man's Sky VR for like 20 minutes. It was incredible. I want more of that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It probably doesn't have the horsepower for 90 fps on two screens. Less than this will probably make you feel lovely.

Buy a quest if you want that IMO.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also VR is very not well supported on Linux, last I saw

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is a thorough deep dive on setting up Sunshine/Moonlight and additional utilities. You can technically skip the deckyloader/moondeck portion (I think it's nice and works well enough) and there's some additional stuff in the comments like auto-resolution and virtual displays scripts.

Just the ticket, thanks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had to wrestle a lot with Nonary’s stuff to get it working the way I wanted (leave my real displays alone, and just enable the virtual one and make it primary when I’m streaming), and honestly I do not know why the monitor swapper needs to create a background process, but I butchered it a bit and now it works. I’ll replace it with my own script now that I know what I need to do better, but for now it’s working, just in time for a work trip tomorrow.

(Part of the problem is that the MultiMonitorTool program doesn’t save primary status in its configs, I think. Also I need to make Sunshine shut up about not finding a MAC address for the Tailscale interface.)

Now to find some good bindings for Songs of Syx so that I can gently caress around with that on the plane…

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I would think almost any laptop made in the last 2-3 years with a dGPU could handle VR better than a deck. I did NMS VR on a 1660 Super laptop card.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there a particular setting in FF7 Remake to stop the hair looking so crunchy? That's basically the only issue I have with it, it manages 40+ FPS on Deck otherwise so I'm happy with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It honestly seems like it's doing 60 on mine no problem, that's docked though.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Vic posted:

It runs fine at 60

Huh! Dead Space remake was running at around 2 FPS at launch. So, maybe there’s some combination of driver and shader updates that made it happen. Thought it was purely down to the Deck not being powerful enough

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Coffee Jones posted:

Huh! Dead Space remake was running at around 2 FPS at launch. So, maybe there’s some combination of driver and shader updates that made it happen. Thought it was purely down to the Deck not being powerful enough

When you’re only rendering at 1280x800 a little can go a long way. New releases usually need a couple weeks for people to identify and work out the little bugs in proton, etc before you get a true reflection of performance, see: Persona 3 Reloaded

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Coffee Jones posted:

If I remember right Dead Space had a bunch of weird issues around launch on Deck, most notably the game crashing if you opened the map and a lot of them got fixed pretty quickly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Vegastar posted:

When you’re only rendering at 1280x800 a little can go a long way. New releases usually need a couple weeks for people to identify and work out the little bugs in proton, etc before you get a true reflection of performance, see: Persona 3 Reloaded

It constantly amazes me just how much small screen + low res combines to make games that I would never imagine doing in a portable work out OK.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Question: I have an 8 bitdo pro2 and one of the buttons on the right side functions as the Steam button. There's a button on the left side that is a star and seems to do nothing. When I have tried to map this in the past it doesn't even seem to register as a button. I would really like to get the "..." button on this controller, is there anyway to map it to it? Or is there at least some keyboard shortcut for "..." that maybe I could map one of the programmable bumpers to?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Question: I have an 8 bitdo pro2 and one of the buttons on the right side functions as the Steam button. There's a button on the left side that is a star and seems to do nothing. When I have tried to map this in the past it doesn't even seem to register as a button. I would really like to get the "..." button on this controller, is there anyway to map it to it? Or is there at least some keyboard shortcut for "..." that maybe I could map one of the programmable bumpers to?

Steam+A is the macro that opens the quick access menu and I think you can map that to one of the back paddles. The star button is the equivalent of a screenshot button on Switch but I don’t think it gets recognised in any other mode.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Finally got around to buying Hades yesterday.

It's a game I bounced off, hard, when it was on XBGP. Just never clicked with me. I figured it was at least in part due to the controls and never really felt like paying a full $25 to try it out with a controller.

Turns out yep, I was right. Game loving rocks on deck and might be the perfect deck game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Been playing Kotor 2 on the deck and it works great.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cyrano4747 posted:

Finally got around to buying Hades yesterday.

It's a game I bounced off, hard, when it was on XBGP. Just never clicked with me. I figured it was at least in part due to the controls and never really felt like paying a full $25 to try it out with a controller.

Turns out yep, I was right. Game loving rocks on deck and might be the perfect deck game.

Between Hades and other games that have come out recently, I'm starting to think my main problem with Hades is the perspective. I just don't like roguelikes that have that sort of isometric camera angle

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

Between Hades and other games that have come out recently, I'm starting to think my main problem with Hades is the perspective. I just don't like roguelikes that have that sort of isometric camera angle

I can get that, I can't do anything from a strictly top down perspective. Just bugs me for some reason.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Isometric is the best angle. Thousands of hours of Diablo-likes have ingrained this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Not So Fast posted:

I know this is basically not answering the question, but I've been playing HSR directly on the Steam Deck, using a third-party launcher and it's been fine, it can run on High no problem. Look for "honkers railway" on github, they discourage linking directly it to avoid getting flagged.

Ah, thanks! This would address my issue just fine (and would actually be preferable if I can get it working).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, thanks! This would address my issue just fine (and would actually be preferable if I can get it working).

Fwiw I was able to get genshin running without using an extra launcher and it was pretty drat easy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw I was able to get genshin running without using an extra launcher and it was pretty drat easy.

yep, same. I didn’t even need the stuff I used on my desktop to make it windowed-borderless and widescreen

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Does valheim work well? Some buddies are playing on a server with mods... Anybody gotten them to work on deck? I could always stream I guess if not.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mods should work fine on the Deck, just have to install them in the right place. Might need some time in desktop mode plus protontricks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

if it's like the Outer Wilds Mod Manager, you have to run the game with the mods on desktop mode once before you do it in game mode to have the mods activate

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Has anyone ever had problems with Moondeck starting? It suddenly just keeps saying 'Failed to create shortcut' and not doing anything, looking it up it I can't seem to find anything adressing this. Anyone any ideas?

e: should've known that after trying to solve this for half an hour the thing that would fix it is asking about it. Everything seems to work flawlessly again about a second after I posted this, still was irritating though.

Sterf fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 12, 2024

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I just acquired a steam deck and toyed with the idea of replaying the original FFVII on it in advance of Rebirth and hooooly poo poo is the steam version of FFVII just exceptionally bad or am I misremembering the PC port from 20+ years ago and its actually always been a bad port?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No, it’s real bad. A friend gifted it to me and I can’t even bring myself to get through it and I feel bad about it.

There are animations straight up missing or broken, sound issues, performance issues, the works.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sterf posted:

Has anyone ever had problems with Moondeck starting? It suddenly just keeps saying 'Failed to create shortcut' and not doing anything, looking it up it I can't seem to find anything adressing this. Anyone any ideas?

e: should've known that after trying to solve this for half an hour the thing that would fix it is asking about it. Everything seems to work flawlessly again about a second after I posted this, still was irritating though.

If it does that it usually means something in Sunshine hasn't launched properly, go into the Sunshine dashboard and click the restart button and it fixes issues most of the time.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I just acquired a steam deck and toyed with the idea of replaying the original FFVII on it in advance of Rebirth and hooooly poo poo is the steam version of FFVII just exceptionally bad or am I misremembering the PC port from 20+ years ago and its actually always been a bad port?
The thing on the PC port of VII is that Eidos basically got a pre-gold copy of the source to base their port on and not a whole lot of time to get it out the door for the "standard" computer hardware of the day. Even way back in the day there were fan-patches to help pull it closer to the Playstation version, but it was never a perfect translation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hogama posted:

The thing on the PC port of VII is that Eidos basically got a pre-gold copy of the source to base their port on and not a whole lot of time to get it out the door for the "standard" computer hardware of the day. Even way back in the day there were fan-patches to help pull it closer to the Playstation version, but it was never a perfect translation.

I remember the incredibly jarring transition between the real time gameplay and the pre-rendered cutscenes, and it was awful. I so hyped to play that on PC, too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never played the original version so when I played it on deck it was fine. So I recommend going back in time and never owning a console so you don't notice anything that's missing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
That's the thing, I didn't own a PS until 3 so I've only ever played FFVII on PC, all four disks of it

But time and the general shittiness of PC ports back then has probably smoothed over however tedious that experience was at the time

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My computer's integrated graphics card in '98 could not handle the battle transitions and gradients fading in/out well, it was very, very slow for each (funnily enough once in combat or back on the world map it was, like, playable), but I still struggled my way to Disc 3 before I gave up and played the original PS version later.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Mescal posted:

If you're playing Tactical Nexus (I love this game) on deck, make sure to turn "Always lightup" on in config. I went way too long without always lightup.

holy poo poo, this game is opium for certain types of people, and im those people...

ty and also kinda :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Suburban Dad posted:

Isometric is the best angle. Thousands of hours of Diablo-likes have ingrained this.

it's true.