Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

They thought Chris Chibnall was ready to make that Christmas special and he was like at the very last moment "no I'm not ready I need a whole other year". He started making the show significantly worse before he even took over. The result is a totally unnecessary coda to a character arc that came to an excellent conclusion in the prior story.

Sometimes when a creative team makes a completely baffling stupid unjustifiable decision you have to look at the circumstances and say "actually it's pretty unlikely that talented professional people completely shat the bed in a totally avoidable way because of their own stupid unthinkable incompetence. Maybe there were some factors here that were outside their control."

Sure but if the end result is poo poo it's still poo poo. If I think a tv show is bad that isn't some kind of indictment of the people who made it. They may have been the most talented people in the world who got given a poo poo hand, or they may have been incompetent buffoons, but the actual product is bad regardless, and that is what I am judging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That final special is absolutely terrible.
It sucks, the Lie of the Land sucks, and the other dozen or so episodes are all fine or better (a lot better in some cases).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Having seen most of modern Dr. Who I can safely say Dr. Who wishes it had the charm or vision of even a Lexx or Farscape.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
what's the appeal of dr who for those who like it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Doctor Who was set aboard the USS Buttcrack it would have been an improvement.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
timey wimey wibbley wobbley britishy witishy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Soft sci-fi with a pretty wide range of subject matter and (within the confines of a family show) tone.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 12, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Only 1970s Dr. Who is worth watching for me. There’s this blurry, grimy quality that reminds me of having a fever when I was a kid. It’s 100 times more ambitious than its budget allows and isn't afraid of pretty complex science fiction concepts that it van't really afford to represent visually. It reminds me of 90s adventure games for some reason I’m still working out—I think it has to do with how the stories unfold across discrete locations where everything happens in one place for one leg of the story and then they find a clue that sends them to another location where all the action happens for another leg.

I’ve seen 60s Dr. Who and 80s Dr. Who, and neither of them interest me.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

trilobite terror posted:

a lot of big breadtubers have been on an “obesity doesn’t actually exist” and “the negative health effects of obesity don’t actually exist” kick, combining a completely valid and correct desire to combat social and medical fatshaming/misogyny/racism with good old-fashioned scientific illiteracy

some have even gone so far as to attempt their own data interpretation, and yet even the ones with big platforms don’t actually seem to want to talk to any experts. The only person who has covered it well IMO is Ragusea, and I/he wouldn’t really consider him “Breadtube”

There's a drat reason that there is a new figurehead for HAES every few years.

Being happy how you are is incredibly valid, but the evidence is pretty overwhelming that being obese is killing you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
old Dr Who had this really excellent premise of a regular human or two being whisked away from the normal world to explore a whole fantastical universe of allegory and wonder with an inscrutable nigh-omnipotent time and space traveling Virgil as their guide

and then they ruined it in the 2000s by making the Virgil character a tortured protagonist and demoting the human audience insert character to sidekick

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh, also too. I finally finished my most recent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdwJb-ViYcM

It's on New Super Mario Bros. DS. :) even though it took me a while to make, that was mostly cause of poo poo going on in my life (in the process of moving) as opposed to the video itself taking long to complete. the actual editing and such was much easier than my candy crush video

Oh hey this is a fun 20 minutes, gj

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Willo567 posted:

Going online and arguing about which episodes are the worst episodes.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

trilobite terror posted:

a lot of big breadtubers have been on an “obesity doesn’t actually exist” and “the negative health effects of obesity don’t actually exist” kick, combining a completely valid and correct desire to combat social and medical fatshaming/misogyny/racism with good old-fashioned scientific illiteracy

some have even gone so far as to attempt their own data interpretation, and yet even the ones with big platforms don’t actually seem to want to talk to any experts. The only person who has covered it well IMO is Ragusea, and I/he wouldn’t really consider him “Breadtube”

huh that's weird. what's up with that? who's doing it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

like pulling the extremely stupid (and later retconned, I think?) example from the original star wars, "nobody in the known universe ever invented paper". that's never said in the original movies, but it's A Fact About The Universe that affects how people interact with each other in the backgroudn, how information is passed around, why some people do what they do without actually explaining it at the camera

Weirdly enough it used to exist in the OT in at least one scene but it didn't make the final edit

E: I guess if they had a 'no paper' rule that would actually explain why that excellent gag got dropped

The capaldi era was also really bad. I'm getting through it now and like...half the episodes should have been cut before they made it to scripting and, while every era of Dr. Who would honestly benefit from being a 30 min show instead of a full hour, the capaldi era really feels like it's just spinning its wheels for every episode.

Also it has the really awful and stupid moon abortion episode. Just dogshit.

Better than the matt smith stuff but almost every issue those seasons had still exist in the capaldi era.

I'd been a HUGE Dr Who fan my whole life after growing up in the 80s watching the Pertwee/Baker seasons (I built my own lifesize dalek, lol) and I absolutely loved Capaldi's depiction of the Doctor but the episodes were so poo poo I stopped watching. Dammit, Capaldi deserved better. :(

Willo567 posted:

Smug know-it-all who always beats the bullies because he's cleverer and more principled than they are. It's basically a nerd power fantasy

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

He's usually not really that clever though. Most of the time he's saved by some absolute bullshit or just knowing the thing before it happened because he's been there before, which isn't really outsmarting someone when they're locked into linear time and you're not.

Honestly given how non-chalant/dismissive most of the doctors I've seen are of everything it's basically if you were supposed to find Zaphod Beeblebrox genuinely cool and charming instead of the kind a loser getting by on sheer luck and other peoples' goodwill.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 12, 2024

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Only 1970s Dr. Who is worth watching for me. There’s this blurry, grimy quality that reminds me of having a fever when I was a kid. It’s 100 times more ambitious than its budget allows and isn't afraid of pretty complex science fiction concepts that it van't really afford to represent visually. It reminds me of 90s adventure games for some reason I’m still working out—I think it has to do with how the stories unfold across discrete locations where everything happens in one place for one leg of the story and then they find a clue that sends them to another location where all the action happens for another leg.

I’ve seen 60s Dr. Who and 80s Dr. Who, and neither of them interest me.

I've only seen '60s Who, but I'd say most of that applies there too, except it's like a stage play instead of being grimy. Even though a big chunk of the serials I watched ultimately fell flat, I admired the variety of ideas they tried, sometimes in the same story.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1756339637092573590?t=vDe35Lk_-RXR3jXeN812Gw&s=19

Also I saw a cursed photo of vaush destiny and keffals having dinner out together and I cannot imagine how tiresome it is to be serving that table

Vaush pedophile and zoophile with Keffals who wanted to doxx others postt kiwifarms and can't stop being racist.

Edit: The reason why I compared JJ Abrams and Stephen Moffat is because they both are white nepo babies allowed to have money and resources to make awful versions of top brand ip's like star trek, star wars, sherlock and hyde and others consistently.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 12, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

carrionman posted:

There's a drat reason that there is a new figurehead for HAES every few years.

Being happy how you are is incredibly valid, but the evidence is pretty overwhelming that being obese is killing you.

the invulnerability of youth convinces a ton of people that obesity isn't really a thing. There's obese but active/mobile and obese/sedentary but either you can get through the first few decades of your life not struggling just to live provided you have sufficient income/social safety net.

then you hit late 30s and suddenly medical problems start cropping up and not going away and then you are taking a pill regimen they use to only give to people 65 and older just to have baseline minimum health numbers while your doctor tries to dance around the topic of losing weight.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think any doctor dances around asking you to lose weight (if you're a woman, at least).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The nicest thing a doctor ever told me was that I wasn’t really very fat.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Also I saw a cursed photo of vaush destiny and keffals having dinner out together and I cannot imagine how tiresome it is to be serving that table

i think its funny some people thought destiny was left-wing because he was less wrong than jontron one time

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

iv watched all of the revival dr who and its 95 percent bad

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Only 1970s Dr. Who is worth watching for me. There’s this blurry, grimy quality that reminds me of having a fever when I was a kid. It’s 100 times more ambitious than its budget allows and isn't afraid of pretty complex science fiction concepts that it van't really afford to represent visually.

you should watch Blake's 7

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Impermanent posted:

huh that's weird. what's up with that? who's doing it?

Yeah, who’s making these videos? I haven’t seen anything saying this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

He's usually not really that clever though. Most of the time he's saved by some absolute bullshit or just knowing the thing before it happened because he's been there before, which isn't really outsmarting someone when they're locked into linear time and you're not.
Oh yeah that's a big part of it, he's insufferably smug because he already has most of the answers, which is awesome. :allears:

I think you could make an argument that being absolutely sure of the outcome before poo poo goes down is a common trope in power fantasy fiction since your more standard "pew pew shoot 'em up" action movies do pretty much the same thing, like when Schwarzenegger tells a mook "I'm going to kill you last" or whatever. (I guess that's a bad example because it's a setup for "You know when I said I'd kill you last? I LIED!" but I can't think of any other classic "Here's what's about to happen ..." moments off the top of my head even though I know there's a whole lot. It happens a bunch in the Reacher TV series but that's a super recent example.)

Most of the time he's saved by some absolute bullshit
I suspect if someone bothered to check we'd also find that asspulls are a common aspect of power fantasies since there's a huge amount of Just World fallacy underpinning the genre

Can someone plz make a video essay about how Dr Who and Ghostbusters are power fantasies for nerds because I can't be assed researching it myself

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 12, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

British people shouldn't be able to make tv shows. It's all panel shows keeping the worst comedians employed and sci-fi that makes Andromeda seem intelligent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I can't think of any other classic "Here's what's about to happen ..." moments off the top of my head even though I know there's a whole lot.

It's the basis for Sherlock's fighting style in the Guy Ritchie movies, though the second movie only uses it once before playing around with fun twists on the concept for the rest of the film.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah, who’s making these videos? I haven’t seen anything saying this.

They're making fun of the same poster having a meltdown about Philosophy Tube (I think) and trying to dodge by making the same bad post but not naming them this time ("some" and "a lot", lol).

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 12, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I can't think of any other classic "Here's what's about to happen ..." moments off the top of my head even though I know there's a whole lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNYejdm5DE8

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Solitair posted:

I've only seen '60s Who, but I'd say most of that applies there too, except it's like a stage play instead of being grimy. Even though a big chunk of the serials I watched ultimately fell flat, I admired the variety of ideas they tried, sometimes in the same story.

I'm unhealthily fond of Classic Dr. Who and I have a theory that the show got progressively worse as the special effects got better.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm unhealthily fond of Classic Dr. Who and I have a theory that the show got progressively worse as the special effects got better.

This doesn't actually contradict what you said but the modern effects being the better is very funny.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mycot posted:

This doesn't actually contradict what you said but the modern effects being the better is very funny.

If you haven't seen some of the 70s bluescreen work in Dr. Who, oh man, I have such sights to show you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
:allears: Such a fun concept. The first half of that movie had such potential and then it completely squandered it all in second half.
The production behind that movie was really weird, it started out as a much darker movie where the fallen superhero character was the villain and Dave Chappelle was considered for the role but then it passed through several different studios and got rewritten over and over by people like Vince Gilligan and then Will Smith got attached so they had to pretty much completely re-engineer it to fit his brand

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If you haven't seen some of the 70s bluescreen work in Dr. Who, oh man, I have such sights to show you.
The 80s also had their moments. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUCSlb-jhsU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's the basis for Sherlock's fighting style in the Guy Ritchie movies, though the second movie only uses it once before playing around with fun twists on the concept for the rest of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62ACxuq8Pw

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh hey this is a fun 20 minutes, gj

ya think so? thanks! glad you liked it! :) it's always a nerve racking thing to see how people respond to the latest vids :sweatdrop:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LanceHunter posted:

I'm just glad that he seems to be doing a lot less of the affective ornamentation. Dude had so many rings/bracelets/statement belt buckles/scarves/etc in his previous videos that he looks like a cartoon of an American college student returning from a summer backpacking in Europe.

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Skip to 14:30 in today's video for a special surprise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfhE266Nfbk

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I liked modern Who for a long time.
But almost every season finale always disappointed me.
Either they let me down in the 2nd part (Most Moffat seasons besides 5 and 10) or they are all around nonsense (every Tennant season)
Chibnall I didnt even care to give a chance anymore, and from what I heard about the recent specials Russel T Davies has fallen into the same trap as Moffat after all.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

British people shouldn't be able to make tv shows. It's all panel shows keeping the worst comedians employed and sci-fi that makes Andromeda seem intelligent.

Andromeda? You mean the show starring Kevin Sorbo?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

pentyne posted:

the invulnerability of youth convinces a ton of people that obesity isn't really a thing. There's obese but active/mobile and obese/sedentary but either you can get through the first few decades of your life not struggling just to live provided you have sufficient income/social safety net.

then you hit late 30s and suddenly medical problems start cropping up and not going away and then you are taking a pill regimen they use to only give to people 65 and older just to have baseline minimum health numbers while your doctor tries to dance around the topic of losing weight.

That's funny, most anecdotes I've heard related to this have doctors that continually suggest losing weight to patients and completely missing more serious issues that are the actual cause of their problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

But Taskmaster though.