Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mega64 posted:

Kyle Shannahan is the Dak Prescott of coaches.

They should hire someone who doesn't choke in big moments imo

In all fairness Kyle chokes on much bigger moments than Dak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

really queer Christmas posted:

God can you imagine the heartbreaking playoff losses putting him on nola would cause? I'm thinking multiple game winning kick off returns for TDs.

Losing on a safety on the first play of overtime.

Still immeasurably better than the Dennis Allen experience.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the chicago bears have decided the coach to develop their first-ever #1 pick quarterback is matt loving eberflus, what a joke

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Losing on a safety on the first play of overtime.

Still immeasurably better than the Dennis Allen experience.

No doubt. The games would at least be watchable, and the regular season would be this dominant juggernaut of a team.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
How often did Andy have heartbreaking losses before he finally broke through?

Saying a guy who’s lost two SBs to the best QB of all time, in OT no less, is a choker is such a ridiculous hot take.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

How is Mahomes considered the best of all time already when he got smoked by Brady in that Super Bowl lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

How is Mahomes considered the best of all time already when he got smoked by Brady in that Super Bowl lol

Did you actually watch that game?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

football games are one on one matchups between quarterbacks and zero other players

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

Kyle chokes in conference championships and Super Bowls, which Dak will never play in.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Quiet Feet posted:

I'll allow that, Dak dreams of choking in the Super Bowl when he's stuck choking in the divisional round.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

How often did Andy have heartbreaking losses before he finally broke through?

Saying a guy who’s lost two SBs to the best QB of all time, in OT no less, is a choker is such a ridiculous hot take.

Technically three SBs to QB GOATs including 28-3. The issue is that all three times he's held a lead and didn't trust his offense enough to R U N and maintain the lead. This year was especially egregious since he had loving OPotY CMC, arguably THE best RB in the league, and didn't rely on him to bleed clock and gain enough yardage to get points.

Shannahan has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself, and he's gained many leads, but he just simply cannot be trusted to win the most important game in the clutch. He is a choker, plain and simple, and if your ceiling is "Losing the Super Bowl" that is fine, but 49ers fans could stand to gamble to do better.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

loving shocker that a man raised from literal birth to be a coach's son takes the sane, safe, sensible conservative option every opportunity he's offered to take it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I'll allow that, Dak dreams of choking in the Super Bowl when he's stuck choking in the divisional round.

Technically three SBs to QB GOATs including 28-3. The issue is that all three times he's held a lead and didn't trust his offense enough to R U N and maintain the lead. This year was especially egregious since he had loving OPotY CMC, arguably THE best RB in the league, and didn't rely on him to bleed clock and gain enough yardage to get points.

Shannahan has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself, and he's gained many leads, but he just simply cannot be trusted to win the most important game in the clutch. He is a choker, plain and simple, and if your ceiling is "Losing the Super Bowl" that is fine, but 49ers fans could stand to gamble to do better.

You can’t grind out the clock running the ball with a 7 point lead to start the second half. That’s not “cruise to victory” territory. He’s got some issues as a game day coach but losing to Brady and Mahomes with Matt Ryan, Jimmy G and Brock Purdy on the other side isn’t an indictment, it’s loving miraculous it was ever close enough for people to call it a choke job.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think we got bored and did beer pong

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

SKULL.GIF posted:

loving shocker that a man raised from literal birth to be a coach's son takes the sane, safe, sensible conservative option every opportunity he's offered to take it.

My favorite moment of a sports article this year:

https://theathletic.com/5225441/2024/01/24/kyle-shanahan-49ers-belichick-carroll-kawakami/

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wouldn’t running the ball a bunch and trying to coast with a small lead be the “sane, safe, sensible conservative option”?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

Technically three SBs to QB GOATs including 28-3. The issue is that all three times he's held a lead and didn't trust his offense enough to R U N and maintain the lead.

This one...was odd like with the Falcons. But in the first loss to the Chiefs I remember going back through that fourth quarter and every single play made sense and worked if it wasn't for Chris Jones slapping a few balls down randomly at the line. He couldn't really have run the game out probably, receivers were getting open, Handsome Jimmy missed a wide open TD deep. Not that it would have ended the game but it would have made it a lot harder.

So like 2 out of 3 I lay some blame on him but not that one. On the other hand he's been to three super bowls, or two as HC and one where he was the reason they were there. I mean...if that's failure I would have spent a lot of my life appreciating the failure honestly.

e: I know this comes off as haughty from a Chiefs fan these days, just saying, failing at a super high level means that you're getting to a super high level pretty often. Which is good. And depending on what you think of Matt Ryan back then he's been doing it with QBs no one really expected to work out.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 12, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mega64 posted:

McCaffrey ran 22 times and only averaged 3.6 yards per carry.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DeimosRising posted:

I wonder if Deebo's hamstring changed up the plan some with their running attack. He came back, but, maybe they knew he wasn't quite right and didn't want to use him in that fashion either as a decoy or occasional ball carrier like they do.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
They should cut him imo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder if Deebo's hamstring changed up the plan some with their running attack. He came back, but, maybe they knew he wasn't quite right and didn't want to use him in that fashion either as a decoy or occasional ball carrier like they do.

I recall one strong rush after he came back but yeah I'm sure knowing one of your best weapons is out there on a bum leg changes things. I know there was a ton of noise after the Packers game about how he was supposed to be the focal point of the game plan and Shanny just like... didn't adjust after Deebo went down. Like they called a jet sweep or something for Jennings and everyone understandably went "WTF?" and after the game Shanahan had to say "oh yeah we literally forgot Deebo wasn't on the field when we called that play my bad". He's a critical piece of the gameplan and having him unavailable seemed to be a problem.

Not saying that's the specific reason they lost or anything. Chiefs good, blocked XP, weirdo punt bounce off guy's foot, failing to capitalize on turnovers etc. But it didn't help.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grittybeard posted:

I really expected them to break out the wingback usage he had in 21. If there were ever a time Deebo would be ok with it, the Super Bowl would be the time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think we got bored and did beer pong

Mahomes was loving incredible, escaping pressure, constantly running for his life throwing sideways passes in the air and then they bounce off the dudes facemask in the end zone. He was absolutely betrayed by his team.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DeimosRising posted:

3.6 * 3 > 10

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DeimosRising posted:

should have called more effective running plays tbh

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mega64 posted:

3.6 * 3 > 10

He averaged 10 yards a reception, should have just thrown it to him 70 times.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Kyle Shanahan should pack it up and come home to where he belongs. The Dallas Cowboys. There’s nowhere more comfortable to choke

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I guess when you think about it there was literally no way for the 9ers to win this game so we can't really criticize Shanahan. no decision be made as head coach and/or offensive playcaller could of impacted the game positively. just like in 2016, 2019, 2020, and 2021, the players let him down

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's possible to be imperfect and also be unquestionably one of the best people in the world at your job

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

who suggested he wasn't? he's been to conference/league championships four times in six years or whatever. he's obviously one of the best. his Achilles heel is just more like an Achilles anywhere-below-the-knee

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was probably reading harsher criticism into some of the lolKyle posts than people intended, my bad. I have a soft spot for Can't Win The Big One guys who I feel like could absolutely win the big one if it weren't for the cosmic alignment of bad luck and a healthy (but non-fatal!) dash of self-inflicted problems

Andy Reid overcame his clock poo poo eventually so there's hope for everyone imo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the clock stuff was his obvious problem but he had similar (in outcome) playcalling-with-a-lead issues especially against good teams. I've said it a couple times but this really reminded me of the 04 superbowl from the loser's side, where it felt like they had control the first half but I had a sinking feeling. then the fourth quarter rolled around

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

CMC looked pretty beat up

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CMC had 30 goddam touches. I mean it's the super bowl so dump your clip but they probably used him close to the physical limit. Deebo having 11 targets and 3 rushes for 41 yards seems like a bigger problem. He was a focal point and got shut down (or Purdy couldn't get him the ball, I'd have to rewatch the game). But yeah I don't think CMC was really the problem, he WAS the 49ers offense.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 12, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Deebo was not 100% coming into the game, and was further injured during this game, so the lack of targets makes sense.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

11 targets is a shitload. He led the team. 3 receptions for like 0 yards is the problem

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sorry, I meant the lack of receptions, not targets. Drunk and tired.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Docjowles posted:

CMC had 30 goddam touches. I mean it's the super bowl so dump your clip but they probably used him close to the physical limit. Deebo having 11 targets and 3 rushes for 41 yards seems like a bigger problem. He was a focal point and got shut down (or Purdy couldn't get him the ball, I'd have to rewatch the game). But yeah I don't think CMC was really the problem, he WAS the 49ers offense.

I'm not saying he was, they should have spread the load around so he's not getting 4 straight carries ending with hitting two guys.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Anyone saying to fire kyle in this thread is a dumbass whether they're trolling or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah unless he completely loses the players you can't fire him for at least four more years