Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

tom gauld for the guardian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I support turning libraries into giant robots to go beat the poo poo out of the bigots who want them gone.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Mister Olympus posted:

could be worse! early vaccines used to involve putting lymphnodes cut out from animals directly under your skin.

is that true

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No, but the dude who used cowpox to immunize a kid against smallpox did use matter taken directly from a cowpox sore and inject it into the kid (who was sick for several days but recovered and was in fact immunized to smallpox) so I can see how they made the jump to that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

We really should celebrate Fluffy Bastard Day.

The song at least is a reference to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj_aHCpZl4k

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vaccines definitely used to be produced inside live animals and then harvested from them—the rabies vaccine was grown in rabbits and the smallpox vaccine was grown in cows. They didn’t start using chicken eggs to make vaccines until the 50s.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is this true? Surely the liquid itself would "push down" (ie. be drawn downward by gravity) regardless of whether there was any air in the enclosure or not? Can someone explain this to me?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I love Count Weirdly's assortment of little creatures, especially the one that's just staring at the gauge.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Pressure from gravity depends only on height, not surface area. The liquid inside the straw is pushing just as hard as the liquid outside the straw, so there needs to be a difference in air pressure to break that equilibrium. If it's just vacuum on both sides, there's nothing to disturb the liquid position.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Is this true? Surely the liquid itself would "push down" (ie. be drawn downward by gravity) regardless of whether there was any air in the enclosure or not? Can someone explain this to me?

Air pressure pushes the liquid up the straw when your mouth draws in the air inside the straw to create a vacuum. The solution is badly phrased, but the liquid in a straw moves up because the air in the room pushes down on it to cause it to fill the space created by the vacuum inside the straw. If Count Weirdly were in a vacuum, his straw wouldn’t work.

I can bullshit on that puzzle though. It just says there’s no air in the bubble. It doesn’t specify whether Count Weirdly created a vacuum, which would technically cause his eyes to burst from the pressure created behind them, or whether he pumped in another gas with a pressure and density similar to air.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
science thread itt

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Malachite_Dragon posted:

No, but the dude who used cowpox to immunize a kid against smallpox did use matter taken directly from a cowpox sore and inject it into the kid (who was sick for several days but recovered and was in fact immunized to smallpox) so I can see how they made the jump to that.

yeah that's what i was thinking of, i knew they used to literally take it from cows and jumped from there

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Plati

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/11/04

Brenda Starr 8/14-16/52

Smokey Stover 9/27/59

Everyday Movies 3/27/37

"See if you can't dig up something classy for Easter, Mopey."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/11-13/43

Closer Than We Think! 9/27/59

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Surprise!

"So... Kitty was unfaithful to me!"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (May 17-20, 2005)

Extra comic today for pacing (and because I forgot to post yesterday). Tomorrow starts a new arc about abductions, alien and otherwise!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

An additional layer is that in Finnish, "I understand Russian" and "I understand Russia" are the same.

E: clarification after some confusion in the Ukraine thread:

Russia = Venäjä
Russian (as in Russian person) = venäläinen

But mostly in Finnish the names of national languages are the same as the name of nations, except of course spelled with lower case letters.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 12, 2024

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And people assumed we would get mad about it because daring to criticize anything WAR mom automatically means we hate any and everything that she does, per goon hivemind tradition. You either agree with someone completely and kiss their rear end relentlessly or you will not stop until their head is on a spike over your doorway as a warning to all others who would contemplate doing A Thing I Don't Like, nuance is not to be tolerated.

Wow. Can I just say that "nuance is not to be tolerated" pretty much describes exactly what you've written here? I've criticized Uchida myself, and am pretty open about the fact that she's a flawed person. Man, I'm not a hivemind, I'm just a translator occasionally noting that people read a lot into this comic that is not supported by the text of it. I did it passive-aggressively here, and I apologize for that.

PetraCore posted:

I think it's because some people explicitly were like 'I bet she has interesting opinions about vaccines' to accuse her of having an anti-vax attitude and this comic shows that no she's pretty normal about them.

For the record, this was precisely where I was coming from. "She reminds me of antivaxxers I know" was an actual reaction to the first formula thing.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And people assumed we would get mad about it because daring to criticize anything WAR mom automatically means we hate any and everything that she does, per goon hivemind tradition. You either agree with someone completely and kiss their rear end relentlessly or you will not stop until their head is on a spike over your doorway as a warning to all others who would contemplate doing A Thing I Don't Like, nuance is not to be tolerated.

you are making up a guy to be angry at

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i'd let my baby drink juice

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 11, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I love that episode of TNG! The clip is a callback to this Original Series episode and this particular scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT4d7PIFFKM&t=126s

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tendales posted:

Pressure from gravity depends only on height, not surface area. The liquid inside the straw is pushing just as hard as the liquid outside the straw, so there needs to be a difference in air pressure to break that equilibrium. If it's just vacuum on both sides, there's nothing to disturb the liquid position.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Air pressure pushes the liquid up the straw when your mouth draws in the air inside the straw to create a vacuum. The solution is badly phrased, but the liquid in a straw moves up because the air in the room pushes down on it to cause it to fill the space created by the vacuum inside the straw. If Count Weirdly were in a vacuum, his straw wouldn’t work.
:confused:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

No no, Nate's right on this. The cost for cards is loving absurd, I absolutely understand why my mum makes her own.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the mouse talks now?!?!?!
It started having occasional dialogue in the mystery scene a while back, yeah.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(November 3, 1918)

No Gasoline Alley For October 5, 1919

Little Nemo(March 29, 1908)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Murdstone posted:

This is a neat little window into how much things have changed. Stamps went up 3 cents in 1981, so if you wanted to use your old stamps, you had to also use a 3 cent one to meet the price. They didn't introduce forever stamps (stamps that are just good for letters no matter when you bought them) until 2007. People mailed a lot of stuff so it was a big deal back then, and obviously the joke is the rate in the 50s was 3 cents total for a letter.

Thanks! I was wondering about that.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 17, 1961)

I've switched to saving these as JPEGs, since for some reason I was using PNG and switching makes the files a quarter of the size. Please let me know if you notice any degredation of quality.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can bullshit on that puzzle though. It just says there’s no air in the bubble. It doesn’t specify whether Count Weirdly created a vacuum, which would technically cause his eyes to burst from the pressure created behind them, or whether he pumped in another gas with a pressure and density similar to air.
If the explanation goes that deeply into air pressure physics already, it's 100% valid to say that if Count Weirdly cannot comfortably exist in a vacuum for 30 minutes, that's a much more obvious reason for Slylock to call bullshit than the comparatively minor detail of how fluids behave.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

I very much wish I knew how to photoshop Upton Sinclair's head on to the errant Cupid here.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 24, 1936)

Peanuts (February 14, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (October 28-30, 1935)

Thimble Theater (September 16, 1940)

Out Our Way (December 23-25, 1943)

So the OOW Xmas '43 panel is about the quest for an ashtray. Merry Christmas. Light up a Lucky.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Vaccines definitely used to be produced inside live animals and then harvested from them—the rabies vaccine was grown in rabbits and the smallpox vaccine was grown in cows. They didn’t start using chicken eggs to make vaccines until the 50s.

I can see the headlines now.

BIG GOV FORCING PARENTS TO MAKE THEIR KIDS FURRIES
LIBERALS FORCING KIDS TO BECOME SHEEP

I love how amused Val looks about such a bad assassination attempt. "Yeah that dude sucked at trying to kill me!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, January 18-24, 1984

Don't gently caress with Gran'ma Ben

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(1/14/1994)

(1/15/1994)

Ziggy

(9/1/1971)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I feel like this one would have hit better any other month of the year.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Alice, you're still holding a dang ring! How'd you mess up that badly?

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

I'd just like to add that I'm so happy Cul de Sac is back in the rotation.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It might be hilarious to watch it attempted however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom