Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Saukkis posted:

I assume this also didn't take into account all the emissions produced by the oil refineries and oil tankers.

Those also apply to ICE vehicles at an even greater ratio because of their less efficient use of fossil fuels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Cactus Ghost posted:

i mean, if you want some kind of arbitrary line to say this is green and that isn't, you can put it anywhere you want, because "green" is a nebulous concept and everything commonly used to define it (like sustainability, destruction of the natural environment, or emission of fossil carbon) is a gradient. i just think it's silly to draw that line with fuel cells on one side of it and batteries on the other, especially when the reason given is use of fossil carbon

Some of us have solar panels on our house.

I guess fossil fuels were used to transport the solar panels tho, so who's to say if they are actually good.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
It’s so infuriating reading those “EVs are actually more polluting than gas!” articles because for ~*some reason*~ ICE emissions are only counted starting when you buy the car, where as with an EV it always counts always inane bs like the worker who built your car charged his phone on a fossil powered grid, look at how not green your car is

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Wait we don't want more pollution? gently caress that I want to leave the world a polluted wasteland, it's called a legacy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tracing the emissions of a whole rear end supply chain is infeasible and wildly inaccurate for consumers. The systemic solution is a giant whopping carbon tax along with a carbon border adjustment tax. Then you just buy whatever you wanna buy. Market sorts itself out.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's pretty depressing to see that EVs have become yet another politicized issue, with chuds basically believing that they are evil or whatever. Any social media post even mentioning EVs is almost always inundated with the kind of BS arguments the previous poster mentioned.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cactus Ghost posted:

i mean, if you want some kind of arbitrary line to say this is green and that isn't, you can put it anywhere you want, because "green" is a nebulous concept and everything commonly used to define it (like sustainability, destruction of the natural environment, or emission of fossil carbon) is a gradient. i just think it's silly to draw that line with fuel cells on one side of it and batteries on the other, especially when the reason given is use of fossil carbon

I'd like to draw the line at 50%, e.g. "a majority of the fuel or electricity came from green sources", in which case fuel cells are definitely nowhere close to being green and EVs can be green depending on your local power grid.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
"Green" as a boolean adjective is nonsense from the start unless you're defining it as "zero environmental impact anywhere" because defining it as anything less than that subjectively leaves room for someone to justifiably criticize your usage of the term.

It's more usefully denoted as a spectrum; but even that's subjective because it's a multi-axial spectrum and at some point you have to add arbitrary weights to the different kinds of environmental impact and everyone can have their own justification for different weights. Is Lithium mining leaving a big toxic pit in the ground in one place better than pumping CO2 into the atmosphere? Most people would say 'sure'... unless that big toxic pit happens to be their backyard, in which case they're going to have a much different valuation; and so will the people who have an oil refinery in their backyard.

The big benefit of electrification over fuel cells or fossil fuels is not inherently that one is "green" and the others aren't. It's that electrification makes the power source flexible; so we have options on allocating and reallocating the ongoing environmental impacts today and tomorrow to account for factors we might not even recognize yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One of the biggest things that I think is very cool about the electrification trend is the use of EVs as energy storage for the grid, which could help build a much more reliant power grid and the ability to bank renewables like wind and solar. Having a million EVs plugged in with V2G capabilities in a given area is pretty huge! I think there are a lot of massive benefits to this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Why do you even eat vegan lol that farm worker had a chicken sandwich for lunch you loving murderer.

(the EV fossil fuel argument in its entirety)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Celexi posted:

it isn't silly when fuel cells have like a quarter of the efficiency of a battery, even if you start with gasoline and green aside you are getting close to 100% efficiency with a battery while you are getting a fraction of that with fuel cell

cool dude, we have different opinions about where the silly line is on the "green" spectrum. that's ok. calm down

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 11, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

biznatchio posted:

"Green" as a boolean adjective is nonsense from the start unless you're defining it as "zero environmental impact anywhere" because defining it as anything less than that subjectively leaves room for someone to justifiably criticize your usage of the term.

It's more usefully denoted as a spectrum; but even that's subjective because it's a multi-axial spectrum and at some point you have to add arbitrary weights to the different kinds of environmental impact and everyone can have their own justification for different weights. Is Lithium mining leaving a big toxic pit in the ground in one place better than pumping CO2 into the atmosphere? Most people would say 'sure'... unless that big toxic pit happens to be their backyard, in which case they're going to have a much different valuation; and so will the people who have an oil refinery in their backyard.

The big benefit of electrification over fuel cells or fossil fuels is not inherently that one is "green" and the others aren't. It's that electrification makes the power source flexible; so we have options on allocating and reallocating the ongoing environmental impacts today and tomorrow to account for factors we might not even recognize yet.

The other thing you can use to help counter the lithium mine argument is that lithium batteries are recyclable, fuel is not.

Once that lithium is out of the ground, we will be able to keep using it over and over again for an extremely long time. Cleaning up a lithium mine is a big project, but not insurmountable. Mining lithium without significant harm to the local environment is a solvable issue if the price gets high enough (and it probably will). Newer chemistries (EG: LFP) are basically entirely made out of abundant raw materials with already known global reserves well in excess of theoretical demand, and its all recyclable, pull it out of the ground once, and you can keep using it basically forever.

Your decade old battery is worn out? It doesn't just evaporate into the atmosphere or get buried in a landfill, it gets ground down, reprocessed, refined, and eventually turned right back into a brand new battery that starts the cycle all over again.

The fuel in an ICE vehicle's tank? It gets set on fire! You burn it up and it floats away into the atmosphere where it cannot be easily recaptured! Replacing it requires mining more of it out of the ground! Even in the case of bio-fuels, farming for them is not a clean or particularly environmentally friendly process, and just clearing the fields in the first place means releasing an enormous amount of carbon into the atmosphere.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The CO2 created by ice engines gets recycled by trees, it’s as green as can be.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

bird with big dick posted:

The CO2 created by ice engines gets recycled by trees, it’s as green as can be.

Now if you would excuse me, the amazon won't burn itself down to make way for ethanol production you know.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If you all really want to go crazy, cars in general are way worse than mass transit or riding a bike.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Peachfart posted:

If you all really want to go crazy, cars in general are way worse than mass transit or riding a bike.

While it's hard to find legitimate counters to your argument, this really only applies to urban areas. European cities like London and Paris have been implementing laws that fine outside commuters/visiters based on vehicle weight which is good. I doubt it'll happen to North American cities any time soon, though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Peachfart posted:

I want trains loving everywhere up in this bitch country but nope.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Indiana_Krom posted:

The other thing you can use to help counter the lithium mine argument is that lithium batteries are recyclable, fuel is not.

Except that lithium recycling is largely non existent or it costs a goddamned fortune.
Sorta like recycling old solar panels should be easy and free, but no, It's $22 per panel where I'm at in California.

Peachfart posted:

This. Personal transportation will never be ecologically friendly as long as capitalism is involved. The auto industry lives around a 10 year shelf life.
When I lived in Ukraine I got to ride ~50 year old trains running off of a 40 year old reactor. This hardware had long since paid its ecological debt in manufacturing.

Nothing is as green as a spinach powered bike. Shame it's not feasible in most of America because it's not just one more freeway lane. The system isn't designed for this from the ground up.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I want trains loving everywhere up in this bitch country but nope.

This country did. GM and Firestone gave us the city bus.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

how dare you suggest my consumer purchases come with compromises. you absolute monster. have you considered these other purchases i have also made. dril tweet

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Do you have a Nissan Leaf, and a deep love of sketchy electric devices?

Well, then you're in luck because you can charge at CCS stations now.

https://youtu.be/wydql2N_F-k

It's a CCS2 version in the video, but a CCS1 version is also available.

Donggaun Longood Technology Company

Cactus Ghost posted:

what was mentioned prior was coal, which is about ten percent of US power. oil and natural gas are about a third each, with renewables and fission rounding out the rest

I believe you're mixing energy for electricity here. The breakdown you're describing is for total energy, not electricity:

but for electricity, coal is ~23%, natural gas is ~33%, oil ~1%, and renewables & nuclear each ~22%

the oil consumed in the total energy number is for ICE vehicles and industrial use mostly.

source: https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/us-energy-facts/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Holy poo poo Imgur is 56k slow right now for me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hell yeah :c00l:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah it's pretty depressing to see that EVs have become yet another politicized issue, with chuds basically believing that they are evil or whatever. Any social media post even mentioning EVs is almost always inundated with the kind of BS arguments the previous poster mentioned.

EVs have been a politicized issue since everyone decided to hinge their environmental policy on them back in the 90s.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Hey now, in most of the country, the giant car-crushing hands run on coal, which is not ok.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I see EVs as a stepping stone towards going green worldwide. Everyone will be less tolerant to burning fuels when they don't see/smell combustion vehicles all the time.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

EVs are a piece of the puzzle but more importantly they're a consumer consumption solution vs anything real that would cost politicians or business in the short term

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Bone Crimes posted:

Hey now, in most of the country, the giant car-crushing hands run on coal, which is not ok.

Running EVs through the giant car crushing hand is a lot more exciting than doing it with ICE cars, if you don't prep 'em in any way.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Running EVs through the giant car crushing hand is a lot more exciting than doing it with ICE cars, if you don't prep 'em in any way.
just another way evs are superior.
oh, yeah, I was just thinking about an ev demolition derby. :supaburn::supaburn:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
It's just super ironic that the state that's most going in on EVs is also the one where most people can't take advantage of the charge-at-home thing because home ownership for anyone under 40 is impossible without an inheritance.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Bone Crimes posted:

just another way evs are superior.
oh, yeah, I was just thinking about an ev demolition derby. :supaburn::supaburn:

nah they'll use something more stable, maybe even lead-acid. or at least, something way smaller. it isn't like derby cars now use a big sixteen gallon tank full to the brim, they use tiny little 1 gallon bladders inside a heavy steel box

what'll be weird is not having a radiator to kill. they'll just bash into each other until... i guess until the wheels fall off?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Can I just hotlink ebay images? Is this a hacked on handle or an adapter?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186287828129

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
that looks like a hacked up handle

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah it sure does, doesn't it? Thought it was funny.

Geez, the Leaf EVSEs on ebay run over $200 to $300. Is there another OE quality 14-50 capable unit for cheap or should I get another Tesla unit and adapter for a spare?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What the gently caress, that looks like a stock Tesla J1772->NACS adapter too, why would you do that instead of just... plugging the adapter in?

It's clearly been hosed with, you can see damage to the plastic all around where the white bit meets the black bit.

What specifically are you looking for? An adapter in case your Grizzle-E shits itself? A travel unit?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

What the gently caress, that looks like a stock Tesla J1772->NACS adapter too, why would you do that instead of just... plugging the adapter in?

It's clearly been hosed with, you can see damage to the plastic all around where the white bit meets the black bit.

What specifically are you looking for? An adapter in case your Grizzle-E shits itself? A travel unit?

Yeah, backup travel unit. There's a destination I go to very often and I just want to leave it there. I do have my own travel unit that I'm using (Tesla UMC + TeslaTap) but if I can just leave something there, that would be nice. Was trying to be thrifty 😅

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It sounds like your status quo is your best bet then, honestly, or spring for another Tesla, or buy the cheapest 14-50 EVSE you can find on Amazon, if your destination is well insured.

E: I went looking for the cheapest EVSE on Amazon, and I found one that had a light-up cable for ???

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 12, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Shipon posted:

It's just super ironic that the state that's most going in on EVs is also the one where most people can't take advantage of the charge-at-home thing because home ownership for anyone under 40 is impossible without an inheritance.

this is a generational issue

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LOL, hadn't seen that one.
Was thinking Big Altima Energy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2LkFlXGlw

priznat posted:

Toyota lots around here have amazing numbers of unsold busyforks, the lots around me have more of those available than all their other cars combined.

To be fair, the Busyforks is remarkably ugly/stupid-looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I think the constant hype mill of "the next one will go 700 miles" also drags down their current half-rear end offering.